Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

The WHO, the CDC, government, the medical and scientific community are all encouraging vaccination and masks in order to get this ghastly world-wide pandemic under control.

Websleuths is doing it's part in that regard, and since Covid started, it has been Tricia's policy that Websleuths will not allow anti-vax or anti-mask sentiment or debate surrounding those issues.

My 20-something daughter got her 2nd dose of Pfizer a couple of days ago and had essentially no side effects other than the sore arm. Woot!

One of my sisters lives in what I call a Reluctant state about the vaccine, both geographically and personally. She and my daughter are close online. Last week my sister got dose #1 and credits my daughter for convincing her. The "convincing" took awhile and was the opposite of confrontational. I think the key was when my sister said something anti-vaccine, my daughter acknowledged the concern rather than roll her eyes and scoff (which was my approach, lol), gently addressed the concern in a low-key way, and then changed the subject, giving my sis the room to change her mind in private rather than making her dig in her heels out of stubbornness. When my daughter brought up the vaccine, it was to mention how the process was going, like how my reaction was mild, her friends are all getting the vax, etc. and then changed the subject. It took time, but it worked.

As vaccine demand slows, doctors shift to 'microtargeting' vulnerable communities (nbcnews.com)

Pop-up clinics at gas stations and nightclubs are part of the latest effort to reach the unvaccinated.

On the second Saturday in April, Dr. Karen Smith was able to easily find a parking space at the Freedom Chapel AME Zion Church — the first sign that something was off.

Smith, who has a family medicine practice in the rural North Carolina town of Raeford, had come to the church with enough doses to vaccinate 1,000 people.

The last time she’d held a vaccination event at Freedom Chapel, two weeks earlier, she said cars were parked “three-deep” on the grass and spilled onto the sides of the highway. In two hours, her team had vaccinated more than 240 people.

But on the morning of April 10, there were only a few takers in a community where plenty of local residents remained eligible for a shot. Only 14 percent of residents in Hoke County have been fully vaccinated. The rate is the second lowest in the state and trails well behind the nation’s average of nearly 31 percent...

I've had both my doses of Pfizer now. The first shot I just got the sore arm, lasted a few hours, no biggie. The second shot, again the sore arm. The day after I still had the sore arm but that was it. On the 3rd day I woke ok, the injection site was hot and red though, then mid afternoon I started too feel a bit naff. Feverish, achy and shaky. I took 2 paracetamol and went shopping. It lasted about 4 hours. I've been fine ever since and the redness at the site has gone now too.

I'm not being weird by saying I am glad that I had some side effects, but I really am. I'm immune compromised (Azathiorpine) and I know they aren't 100% sure how the vaccine would react. Now I know my immune system reacted as it should, I feel A LOT better. I know some people get them and some don't, and that it doesn't mean anything, we're just different, but yeah, for a change I was happy to feel that way and my anxiety didn't panic over it. Wonders will never cease :p

My answer is no, I have not gotten it and will not get it. I never trust any vaccine with such a short testing period. After doing my own research across many sources I have decided not to get it. There are many resources besides the CDC and WHO.

I have always been that kind of person who won't even take an aspirin when needed, so I agonized about having a covid vaccine. But I researched the odds of dying from covid to the odds of dying from the vaccine, and the current data on serious and lingering effects of having covid, to the unknown future effects of the vaccine, and in light of the covid variances that appear more deadly, I determined that it was a logical choice for me to get the vaccine, which I did.

I heed the advice from the CDC and WHO--they aren't perfect, but they have a global contingent of reputable scientists who are advising them, and providing research data. I took the chance that I am better off getting a vaccination, and look forward to my second shot.

"While coronavirus vaccines have only been on the market for a few months now, the science behind them has been years in the making."

Stunning science: COVID-19 vaccines' life-saving breakthrough

I thought it was touching to see in the short video segment how many people from so many different industries and professions have worked to get the vaccine to the people. The coordination and cooperation is refreshing to see. imo

"While coronavirus vaccines have only been on the market for a few months now, the science behind them has been years in the making."

I thought it was touching to see in the short video segment how many people from so many different industries and professions have worked to get the vaccine to the people. The coordination and cooperation is refreshing to see. imo

It is a shame that so many people believe the vaccine was rushed to the public without understanding the science behind it has been around for at least
a decade

My 20-something son signed up for Pfizer dose #1 appointment today. He was able to make a same-day appointment right in the neighborhood.

Such a HUGE difference than when I was hitting refresh on my computer trying to get myself an appointment anywhere within reason just a short time ago in March.

I love that we are moving on!! Feels so good.

It is a shame that so many people believe the vaccine was rushed to the public without understanding the science behind it has been around for at least
a decade

Yep. I've written about this before as have others. The mRNA work has been going on for over a decade. The only reason people may think it was rushed is because it proved so powerful in trials that it had to be approved for Emergency Use Authorization. It's considered inhumane to withhold a life-saving medication or vaccine that has been proven to be so effective, and not wait longer while people die.

An example of this happened when my 31-year old identical twin sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. A few years later a very effective medication to prevent recurrence was released, because it was inhumane to withhold it. I remember she kissed the pill bottle and asked it not to hurt her. Thanks to God, we are now 63. Both of us.

Another facet of this is that, for the first time in human history, when a pandemic hit we had the communication and information technology that allowed scientists and doctors to immediately share findings and communicate globally, as they all sought a cure or vaccine for the identical disease. That wasn't available in 1918 and obviously none of the other pandemics that decimated the world in ancient, medieval and all other times.

I'm not a fan of the W.H.O. because IMO they did not press China enough to find out about the origin of Covid-19. There is still the F.D.A., C.D.C, and other organizations who have given the vaccine their imprimatur. And if I didn't trust any of them, there's still the demonstrable fact that in Israel and the U.K, where the vaccination program is strong, death rates have fallen dramatically. The countries that don't have much vaccine, like India, are the other side of the coin. That is empirical evidence.

The mRNA work has been going on for over a decade. The only reason people may think it was rushed is because it proved so powerful in trials that it had to be approved for Emergency Use Authorization.

Snipped

People think it was rushed, imo, because they themselves have never heard of it before. Most of us don't spend time learning about what scientists are working on - and it's understandable that when we do learn, it all seems "new" or "sudden."

People also think it was "rushed" because misinformation/disinformation has been spread and repeated. Even though it's not true, plenty of people believe it.

jmo

It made my heart happy to see websleuths stance on vaccines and mask. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My husband and I are fully vaccinated and my kids will be as well as soon as the emergency use is approved. One of my healthy happy active teenagers is experiencing long term symptoms of covid. I wish people understood how serious it is and that death is absolutely not the only negative outcome. We’ve been following the studies on improvement of long haul symptoms by vaccine closely and are hoping it helps our teenager as well.

As vaccine demand slows, doctors shift to 'microtargeting' vulnerable communities (nbcnews.com)

Pop-up clinics at gas stations and nightclubs are part of the latest effort to reach the unvaccinated.

On the second Saturday in April, Dr. Karen Smith was able to easily find a parking space at the Freedom Chapel AME Zion Church — the first sign that something was off.

Smith, who has a family medicine practice in the rural North Carolina town of Raeford, had come to the church with enough doses to vaccinate 1,000 people.

The last time she’d held a vaccination event at Freedom Chapel, two weeks earlier, she said cars were parked “three-deep” on the grass and spilled onto the sides of the highway. In two hours, her team had vaccinated more than 240 people.

But on the morning of April 10, there were only a few takers in a community where plenty of local residents remained eligible for a shot. Only 14 percent of residents in Hoke County have been fully vaccinated. The rate is the second lowest in the state and trails well behind the nation’s average of nearly 31 percent...
Very good article. I had the tab open for awhile but just now got around to reading it. Thanks for sharing. We need to make sure everyone has access and it's easy for us to forget that not everyone does.

From the start, I had wished they distributed the vax block by block, rather than make every individual person figure out the registration process. Seemed easier to me to have assigned dates (with options if you couldn't make it) by neighborhood.

I'm super happy to see walk-in pop-up places in my area are happening regularly.

I'm shocked that some areas are as low as 14% vaccinated when the vaccine is now so available. That's.....a health problem.

jmo

It made my heart happy to see websleuths stance on vaccines and mask. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My husband and I are fully vaccinated and my kids will be as well as soon as the emergency use is approved. One of my healthy happy active teenagers is experiencing long term symptoms of covid. I wish people understood how serious it is and that death is absolutely not the only negative outcome. We’ve been following the studies on improvement of long haul symptoms by vaccine closely and are hoping it helps our teenager as well.
Big hugs to you and your teen.

I believe the jab (Zeneca here) is helping my 'suspected' - been referred but still waiting for an appointment - long covid symptoms. I am unfortunately still having some episodes of fatigue etc but I am finding the gap between episodes is widening. So hold out for hope :)

a decade
While the science has been in the works for a while, this vaccine has not been. Honestly I don’t really trust the science behind it either. I am wary of manipulating our genetics.

While the science has been in the works for a while, this vaccine has not been. Honestly I don’t really trust the science behind it either. I am wary of manipulating our genetics.
I think everyone would be wary of manipulating our genetics, but that is not how the vaccine works. It sends instructions. The vaccine teaches the mRNA how to make a specific protein that can fight the virus. Once that happens, the "instructions" are broken down, which is a normal function.

mRNA stands for Messenger RNA and its normal function is to make proteins. It is not the same as your DNA. The vaccine is teaching it how to make a protein to fight the virus. That's it.

There is no genetic manipulation going on.

If a source is saying that the vaccine changes your DNA or genetics, that is an unreliable source and is spreading misinformation/disinformation.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member