Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the science has been in the works for a while, this vaccine has not been. Honestly I don’t really trust the science behind it either. I am wary of manipulating our genetics.
j

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I do understand what mRNA means, but we are manipulating it in ways that could be harmful. https://carterheavyindustries.files...ccines-and-the-risk-of-prion-disease-1503.pdf

<modsnip>

Fact check: COVID-19 vaccine not associated with prion disease

"Classen's paper, first published in January, has been shared elsewhere on Facebook.

Our rating: False
The claim that COVID-19 vaccines can cause prion and other neurodegenerative diseases is FALSE, based on our research. The claim originates from a paper (likely not peer-reviewed) published earlier this year that asserts the mRNA component of the vaccine causes prion disease. Neither Pfizer nor Moderna, both of which manufacture mRNA-based vaccines, reported cases of prion or other neurodegenerative diseases. The federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System also has not received any such reports. Scientific experts have said Classen's claim is highly speculative and lacks actual proof.

Our fact-check sources:

Last edited by a moderator:
PolitiFact - The coronavirus vaccine doesn’t cause Alzheimer’s, ALS

The research article is baseless — there is no evidence that the coronavirus vaccine causes Alzheimer’s, ALS or prion diseases. When we reached out to Classen for a comment, he said his paper "speaks for itself."

Microbiology & Infectious Diseases is hosted by SciVision, a platform for open-access journals that librarian Jeffrey Beall listed as a potential predatory publisher aimed at profiting from academics instead of offering rigorous peer review. Classen has previously published research falsely linking vaccines to diabetes. He speculates on his website that the coronavirus pandemic "is actually a bioweapon attack and may be linked to the U.S. anthrax attack of 2001."

"He also included that claim — which PolitiFact has repeatedly debunked — in the body of his research article.

Putting the bogus bioweapon claim aside, let’s take a closer look at Classen’s paper.
...........Classen’s claim is inaccurate and ridiculous. We rate it Pants on Fire!"
............More at link (all in this post is directly from USA Today article, and not my comments)

Last edited:
I'm not going to click a link from an unknown source, but I see that the link above says something about a link between the Covid-19 vaccine and prion disease.

I think we all know about prion diseases. They're misfolded proteins in the brain which lead to awful diseases like "Mad Cow Disease" and in humans, Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease and other neurodegenerative diseases. This is worse than Covid as the prions cannot be destroyed and are always fatal. I read an interesting book about it called "The Family That Couldn't Sleep," who all had a rare hereditary prion disorder.

Thankfully, vaccines do not cross the blood-brain barrier and cannot cause prion malformation. What does cross the blood-brain barrier? Viruses, like the measles and Covid-19.

I'm having trouble getting the link through so I took a screenshot of just the title of one article from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. There are many credible articles from well-known medical institutions and medical journals that will explain those better than I can. IMO these are important to read for accurate information.

When I taught courses in News Literacy, one of the fundamentals was to see how well-written or poorly written the source material was, and of course if the source is authorized in its field. The article from CHOP quotes the misinformation from a source that cannot even spell vaccine correctly, which is but one of the steps that show the source must be disregarded.

ETA: thank you, @dixiegirl1035 and @Inthedetails. I wrote my post and then after I sent it, saw your wonderful sourcing to disprove these theories about the vaccine causing brain disease. I don't know why my computer isn't letting me get the links through, so thank you!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    271.6 KB · Views: 7
<modsnip>

Fact check: COVID-19 vaccine not associated with prion disease

"Classen's paper, first published in January, has been shared elsewhere on Facebook.

Our rating: False
The claim that COVID-19 vaccines can cause prion and other neurodegenerative diseases is FALSE, based on our research. The claim originates from a paper (likely not peer-reviewed) published earlier this year that asserts the mRNA component of the vaccine causes prion disease. Neither Pfizer nor Moderna, both of which manufacture mRNA-based vaccines, reported cases of prion or other neurodegenerative diseases. The federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System also has not received any such reports. Scientific experts have said Classen's claim is highly speculative and lacks actual proof.

Our fact-check sources:
I see that you are using the fact check from Facebook. I find it telling that they label it as false because they say it doesn’t cause those diseases. Well the paper didn’t claim it caused those diseases either. What it claimed is that it could leave you vulnerable to those diseases. It doesn’t say it causes them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you are using the fact check from Facebook. I find it telling that they label it as false because they say it doesn’t cause those diseases. Well the paper didn’t claim it caused those diseases either. What it claimed is that it could leave you vulnerable to those diseases. It doesn’t say it causes them.

Fact check: COVID-19 vaccine not associated with prion disease is a USA today article. Not Facebook. The quotes and the information is from that article in my post, I added nothing below as to personal comments.... ALL in that post were from USA Today article.

I'm going to just say one thing.

So far, in a little over a year, nearly 600,000 Americans have died from Covid-19, ten of whom I knew personally. That's what it was like last year in New York City. Clearly some of those 600,000 people would have died during this time of other causes, but it was Covid-19 that pushed them over the edge.

If 600,000 vaccinated Americans die of prion disease in a year, then I will concede that the vaccine did not do its job.

IMO.

I think everyone would be wary of manipulating our genetics, but that is not how the vaccine works. It sends instructions. The vaccine teaches the mRNA how to make a specific protein that can fight the virus. Once that happens, the "instructions" are broken down, which is a normal function.

mRNA stands for Messenger RNA and its normal function is to make proteins. It is not the same as your DNA. The vaccine is teaching it how to make a protein to fight the virus. That's it.

There is no genetic manipulation going on.

If a source is saying that the vaccine changes your DNA or genetics, that is an unreliable source and is spreading misinformation/disinformation.

jmo
Can I like this 1000 times? And can we purchase billboards all across the land and put this on them?

I'm going to just say one thing.

So far, in a little over a year, nearly 600,000 Americans have died from Covid-19, ten of whom I knew personally. That's what it was like last year in New York City. Clearly some of those 600,000 people would have died during this time of other causes, but it was Covid-19 that pushed them over the edge.

If 600,000 vaccinated Americans die of prion disease in a year, then I will concede that the vaccine did not do its job.

IMO.
It's like refusing to wear a seat belt because the buckle could give you meningitis.

(p.s. The seat belt could save your life and the buckle will not give you meningitis)

jmo

A private school in Miami, citing unfounded vaccine claims, says it won't employ vaccinated teachers and staff

Okay, this you will not believe: Here is where misinformation becomes extremely dangerous. In this particular private school, teachers will not be employed WHO HAVE BEEN VACCINATED as they are deemed to "negatively impact" non vaccinated people. I thought I had heard everything. Oy Vay- Actually this is beyond misinformation: this is plain old stupidity and ignorance endangering our entire society.

and they know who has gotten the vaccine how? HIPPA....

Canada Will Require Using A Vaccine Passport For Entry

As more people around the world become vaccinated and the summer travel season approaches, countries around the world are scrambling to get digital health certification programs in place. French President Emmanuel Macron recently told CBS’s “Face the Nation” that Americans who are vaccinated or able to show a negative Covid-19 test result may be able to travel to France as soon as this summer, thanks to the European Union’s plans for a digital green certificate.

Like the United States, Canada has been in talks with other countries about finding consensus on universally acceptable solutions. “I am meeting on a regular basis with my G7 counterparts and this is an ongoing conversation about how that might look and how we might be able to have some sort of standardized approach to this,” Hajdu told the CBC.

I am sure they are allowed to task a potential employee if they are vaccinated ----

The EEOC (Equal Equal Opportunity Commission) has issued guidance that states that employers may require employees to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19. However, when employers make this request for proof, they must also specify at the same time that they make this request, that no medical information be disclosed along with proof of the vaccination, otherwise they will run afoul with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

HIPPA applies to healthcare employees and employers, and those who handle medical records in non-healthcare settings. So it is more complicated in healthcare employment settings. Individuals who work in those settings have to give authorization for their medical information to be shared, in the same way that patient authorizations are handled.

"Now, more than half of adults in the United States have been inoculated with at least one dose of a vaccine. But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever."

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe bbm

So the values I considered American - like ingenuity, progress, rolling up your sleeves to get the job done, being leaders, helping your neighbor......have been replaced by half the country with, "Nah, don't wanna."

Shame.

jmo

CVS, Walgreens have wasted more Covid vaccine doses than most states combined (nbcnews.com)

Months into the vaccination drive, the CDC has a limited view of how much vaccine is going to waste.

Two national pharmacy chains that the federal government entrusted to inoculate people against Covid-19 account for the lion's share of wasted vaccine doses, according to government data obtained by Kaiser Health News.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 182,874 wasted doses as of late March, three months into the country's effort to vaccinate the masses against the coronavirus. CVS was responsible for nearly half, and Walgreens was responsible for 21 percent, or nearly 128,500 wasted shots combined.

CDC data suggest that the companies have wasted more doses than states, U.S. territories and federal agencies combined. Pfizer's vaccine, which in December was the first to be deployed and initially required storage at ultracold temperatures, made up nearly 60 percent of the tossed doses...

Scheduled to get my first shot tomorrow morning! I believe it'll be the moderna one. I've been itching to get it for a while now but appointments have been scarce for the times I'm available.

I'm 23, fairly healthy, and it's likely that I would get over covid no problem. But I also deal with high anxiety just on a normal day & the pandemic has really sent me spiraling at times. I can't wait to have the peace of mind that I've missed for over a year now, I've forgotten what it's like to not be worried about getting sick. I'll be sure to update on any side effects:)

Got my shot on Saturday & I'm feeling good so far! My arm is sore & the injection area is tender but no rash or swelling. I was extremely tired Saturday & Sunday and I've had some drainage (but that could be from texas pollen season lol). Overall, feeling great & I'm so thankful to have gotten the first dose, can't wait for the second one! :)

"...like it or not, government-sponsored vaccine certificates are popping up around the world, from Japan to Israel and in both the United Kingdom and the European Union. It appears inevitable that American travelers will have to adapt if they want to travel outside the U.S. — even to visit our neighbor to the north."

Canada Will Require Using A Vaccine Passport For Entry

Big hugs to you and your teen.

I believe the jab (Zeneca here) is helping my 'suspected' - been referred but still waiting for an appointment - long covid symptoms. I am unfortunately still having some episodes of fatigue etc but I am finding the gap between episodes is widening. So hold out for hope :)
Thank you for the encouragement. I’m glad you’re getting some relief of your symptoms! I’m sure it’s good to see some improvements. We’re hopeful it will help. We’ve been to pediatric neurologist, pediatric rheumatologist and her primary physician so far. They are all trying to find answers and help but there are just so many unknowns with long haul symptoms. I hope you continue to improve and heal completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea