Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past couple of days, Astra Zeneca is " waking up" in the USA market.
They never were approved by the FDA emergency use before a day or so ago, therefore, those who wanted A-Z, if anyone did, couldn't get it in the us.

The first data they submitted to the FDA was likely outdated and incorrect. If approved now, A-Z may be a huge player in the US marketplace, as a lot of European countries are refusing to use it ( possibly for false reasons).

Source:AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from COVID-19 trial, NIAID says

Thanks for the update. Since we are opening to all ages (16+) next week in Ohio, and soon across the nation, then we may need the AZ doses here.

AstraZeneca will provide updated information in a day or two, according to their press release responding to the concerns raised by the U.S. (See below - AZ press release today, March 23, 2021)

Update following statement by NIAID on AZD1222 US Phase III trial data

I had covid and thankfully recovered with no complications- this time. Yes, I will gladly take the risk.
I challenge any anti vaxxer to have covid and then to still believe in your flawed logic.
ME ME ME! I had Covid! 2 weeks out now. Still anti-vax

The logic behind anti-vax is all about educating yourself. ;)

My son and DIL along with some other family members are anti vaxxers. These seemingly intelligent, educated people will read what any blogger and self proclaimed expert makes up and puts online as fact, and believe it. It blows my mind. I really thought my son and DIL were too intelligent to believe this stuff, but apparently they are not.

I really don't understand how people can think that five minutes of google research on websites that are in no way scientific somehow trumps the decades of actual scientific work of real scientists. It really blows my mind. The sheer arrogance of thinking one's own 'independent research' is better than decades of real science.

There have been millions of people vaccinated already. If there were any major side effects, we'd have seen them by now.

I can’t write my kids and grands out of my life. I don’t want to. But my opinionated son and my DIL as well know that it’s a subject that is not up for debate and we just have to agree to disagree on it.

It's hard to write family out of your life, but friends? They're easy.

For me I told my friends that by them refusing to get vaccinated they are putting my life in danger (as without around 90% of the country vaccinated we will not achieve herd immunity - BTW, that number is derived from the math and science done by physicists based on the current evidence of how the virus works/spreads).

So therefore they must not care about me anyway- not to mention their lack of concern for their fellow man goes against my core Humanitarian values. As such, we have nothing in common, and and therefore a friendship would never work. Period.

I am tired of the anti-science nonsense putting my life and others (and in fact this country) at risk, and now I'm starting to call people out. I've been inside for over a year (I'm immunocompromised, and had Covid this time last year and it was HORRIBLE). Now I call out anyone whose not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly too.

The simple reality is that if you don't get vaccinated you do not care about others or America (or the rest of the world) - not getting vaccinated is the ultimate expression of the ultimate level of selfishness.

I understand. My DIL is a teacher and working on her masters. She started out reading mommy blogs when she was pregnant and believes everything she reads by these self proclaimed experts. She and DS are convinced their boys have food allergies and sensitivities due to what she has read and the fact that DS has mild food allergies. The difference is, we had DS tested for allergies, but they have not had their boys tested. They keep them on weird, expensive diets.

The FOX link in this post is following their slant since the beginning. iykwim

Keep in mind their headline "may have included outdated information" applies to all the vaccines which had their original submissions on testing on the wild type. Now all are focusing on getting better updated information on the variants. AZ.... They have not applied in the US yet.

AstraZeneca Vaccine: Everything to Know as New Vaccine Eyes US Approval

AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 Vaccine Is Found to Be 79% Effective in U.S. Study

AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 Vaccine Is Safe, 79% Effective in Late-Stage U.S. Trials

I know AZ has not applied for emergency use in the US. My questions is " why not?"
That's the crux of the post I made. :) Also, IMO, the news outlet reports factually more than any other network. Low set bar, but I think they're usually honest.

I really don't understand how people can think that five minutes of google research on websites that are in no way scientific somehow trumps the decades of actual scientific work of real scientists. It really blows my mind. The sheer arrogance of thinking one's own 'independent research' is better than decades of real science.

There have been millions of people vaccinated already. If there were any major side effects, we'd have seen them by now.
The facts that millions of people have been vaccinated already without major side effects, and half a million Americans have died of COVID are outweighed by unfounded social media rumors by the anti vaccine crowd.

I understand. My DIL is a teacher and working on her masters. She started out reading mommy blogs when she was pregnant and believes everything she reads by these self proclaimed experts. She and DS are convinced their boys have food allergies and sensitivities due to what she has read and the fact that DS has mild food allergies. The difference is, we had DS tested for allergies, but they have not had their boys tested. They keep them on weird, expensive diets.

So funny. I taught school for over a decade, in a Title One school, where most of the kids were eligible for free lunch and breakfast, and also in a very exclusive private school, where I had to sign a ",Confidentiality Agreement".

Kids in the Title One school never had allergies. Kids in the private school, generally had a whole file of allergies.

As for vaccines, we had a public nurse at the Title One school, who vaccinated all of the kids, right at school, the parents signed a paper, it was done. No one "opted" out.

The private school, it seemed like more than half had medical or religious waivers exempt from vaccines.

So funny. I taught school for over a decade, in a Title One school, where most of the kids were eligible for free lunch and breakfast, and also in a very exclusive private school, where I had to sign a ",Confidentiality Agreement".

Kids in the Title One school never had allergies. Kids in the private school, generally had a whole file of allergies.

As for vaccines, we had a public nurse at the Title One school, who vaccinated all of the kids, right at school, the parents signed a paper, it was done. No one "opted" out.

The private school, it seemed like more than half had medical or religious waivers exempt from vaccines.

There are some reasons the low income students didn't get sick with allergies or so much seasonal rhinitis, what we call " colds".
They were likely EXPOSED to common allergens from a very young age. What I am about to post leaves out the children with CF, the immunocompromised child who was premature or has a disease which includes immunocompromised states. Just normal kids who play in the dirt or are changed when their shoes are a bit dusty. Those sorts of childcare differences and hovering.

For example, I have a photo of me sitting in the saddle of a fine Arabian horse when I was not even walking age. The horse was my Daddy's, and I grew up on the type of farm we call a " gentleman's farm" in the U.S. South.
It means we didn't raise any animals for slaughter, but did have a fruit orchard and a huge vegetable garden, and horses for pleasure riding.

So, I was desensitized to horses very early in life- which means I shouldn't have issues with the old vaccines made with horse serum if life got that dire again.
Likewise, I am not allergic to dogs, having grown up with my Daddy's GSH Pointer, a most magnificent girl who saved my life twice, she was so bonded to the tiny creature her humans brought home to her one day, and who stayed. :)
I still dream about that darling great hunter and companion, my first attachment to an animal.
I would do whatever it took to become desensitized to a dog allergy!!!

We children of the 60's ate peanut butter joyfully. Try and pry that Reese's cup from my hands! :) So, people in my age group can usually eat foods containing peanuts or peanut butter safely. People half my age likely have quite a few peanut- allergic adults in any randomized group. Peanut butter is a staple food for low income families, so those children likely eat peanut butter early in lilfe and often. And drink cow's milk from the grocery store instead of a specialty oat milk.

What I personally didn't get exposure to and am allergic to:
Cats: I have near anaphylaxis when in the same house as a cat. I stayed sick when dating a guy with a cat and the man's beard caused rashes on my face. I broke up with him because of the debilitating cat allergy I have.

How did this happen? Remember the story of my grandmother's stay in a cave when she was a little girl? She was extraordinarily afraid of cats. We did not know why. So, I was not ever around a cat as a child- NEVER. I lacked passive antigen/ antibody response to cats. I had hyper acute allergies instead.

Evergreens: Living in the deep South, evergreens were not prized trees and had no role in our forested land of 40 acres. I was exposed to pines, but that was all, and do not have allergies to pine trees. Just everything else. Texas Cedar just about puts me to bed.

The point is that if a child in the school was around mouse droppings, roaches, 5 sibling children, a herd of cats, diversity in outdoor flora and fauna with outdoor campouts. then those children were desensitized to the allergens which usually bother young children. They are hardy because of their diverse living situations which likely changed often. The wealthy students live in climate controlled houses, the windows sealed shut, and likely, no indoor pets. There is also the peanut butter issue.
Peanut butter is a hot topic issue and I do not mean to ignite any flame wars about it, except to say it may save childrens' lives to have enough peanut butter to not react violently to nuts with an allergic response later in childhood. I'd give it to my child here and there just to keep them from full anaphylactic reactions from accidental exposure.

This may be OT? but just weighing in on the idea of dropping friends because of disagreement on Covid.

If they are casual acquaintences, maybe. But if these are people who you care about, even love...think twice. Estranging from people based on one area of disagreement is something you should always be hesitant about.

Having been on the receiving end of (unjustified) estrangement more than once (loved family members) I fought hard to end those estrangements, and succeeded. We now have good, solid, loving relationships. Also, estranging someone that cares about you can be a form of emotional abuse, if they do not know why you have dropped them.

Black and white thinking (if you don't agree with me we can't be friends) doesn't work well in relationships.

I have a sibling who I had to unfriend on social media because of their nasty political and religious posts; but we have a good relationship in real life. That's because we have an unspoken agreement to not talk about those subjects. Yes, both parties have to want to make the relationship work, they have to put the realtionship ahead of their desire to express their health, or political, relgious opinions.

Yesterday I called a friend on the phone who is a Covid denier and is livid about many things related to it. I know this because of their social media posts. They know I feel the opposite. We hadn't talked in a while. I decided the friendship was too improtant to me to let go without trying. I reached out to them. After 10 minutes of their venting, and me saying, hmmm, we got back into our old pattern of laughing and joking and sharing about family. Will it last? Too soon to tell. But I will know that I put in the extra effort to extend myself to them, and hope they get the message they are important to me.

We’ve been contemplating changing drs for a while now. Several reasons why. This dr and none of his staff have worn a mask during the entire pandemic. We aren’t going back to him.
I once got referred to a new doctor, his white lab coat was grimy dirty and the counters in the exam room were cluttered and had a thick layer of dust. I left and never went back. This was long before COVID and before I even worked in healthcare.

I had covid and thankfully recovered with no complications- this time. Yes, I will gladly take the risk.
I challenge any anti vaxxer to have covid and then to still believe in your flawed logic.

I've had it TWICE and i'm still very hesitant to get the vaccine. I will go holistic or Easter Medicine as a first choice, however i'm not stupid, and will take antibiotics if needed, etc. BUT having had to be on 4 antibiotics for my first round of Covid (before it was really out there) my immune system is now shot. I have to rebuilt it. And then i got it again in the end of January, much different symptoms, much milder, than last year. I'm in FL so possibly the different Variant. I initially thought i wanted the J/J one but after MORE research, i'm ruling that out for now.

This may be OT? but just weighing in on the idea of dropping friends because of disagreement on Covid.

If they are casual acquaintences, maybe. But if these are people who you care about, even love...think twice. Estranging from people based on one area of disagreement is something you should always be hesitant about.

Having been on the receiving end of (unjustified) estrangement more than once (loved family members) I fought hard to end those estrangements, and succeeded. We now have good, solid, loving relationships. Also, estranging someone that cares about you can be a form of emotional abuse, if they do not know why you have dropped them.

Black and white thinking (if you don't agree with me we can't be friends) doesn't work well in relationships.

I have a sibling who I had to unfriend on social media because of their nasty political and religious posts; but we have a good relationship in real life. That's because we have an unspoken agreement to not talk about those subjects. Yes, both parties have to want to make the relationship work, they have to put the realtionship ahead of their desire to express their health, or political, relgious opinions.

Yesterday I called a friend on the phone who is a Covid denier and is livid about many things related to it. I know this because of their social media posts. They know I feel the opposite. We hadn't talked in a while. I decided the friendship was too improtant to me to let go without trying. I reached out to them. After 10 minutes of their venting, and me saying, hmmm, we got back into our old pattern of laughing and joking and sharing about family. Will it last? Too soon to tell. But I will know that I put in the extra effort to extend myself to them, and hope they get the message they are important to me.

Here's an optional idea for those with friends and family who POST things on Social Media they'd never likely say to your face, as the message is theirs to the world regarding their stances on social dilemmas and decisions:
Drop your social media accounts, close them, and relate to your friends IRL, one on one, and your relatives as well.

Make time for them and if you see the contentious areas are what they are taking huge blocks of your time together to talk about, give them the option of finding all the NEUTRAL and POSITIVE things you share together as friends or relatives, or tell them you have to walk away until things are calmer.
Then, and only then, do you actually stay or walk away, depending on their response.

If you do not want to talk your voice to death about COVID, which none of us created, then you shouldn't want to talk your voice and mind to death about the same issue in person.

Each of us has the right to live a life free from bullying and harassment. Our friends and family definitely can harass us, and vice versa.
Make sure we aren't making allowances all the time for people who really aren't that much like us. Examine the meaning of " Love" in each relationship you/ we have. It may well surprise you.

Speaking as a person who's separated from her only family members due to hatefulness and their jealousy and spite.
Speaking as someone who's married to a skeptic about most medical things, who tried to deny how sick I was with COVID so I took him with me to my doctor's appointments, and he'll go forever more. What I hear from our doctor, he'll hear.
Speaking as a Behavioral Psychologist whose goal is to help people find the satisfyingly good people and places for their mind and soul to rest.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have written this. It is easier to stay where we are than move out to our own quiet space and lose Facebook, IG, and whatever, but it IS adult personal growth to do so. I am happier every day than I was reading the complaints and manufactured " wrongs to the people". The truth is we live in the very best country on earth, and have a HUGE personal potential to make our own destiny. This extends to accepting a life- saving vaccine or turning up a nose to it because " It's experimental".
Of course it's experimental- The US didn't even have a case of COVID ( that was known as such) until early last year.

After more than half a million people in the USA have died, my only questions are " What are you waiting for/ afraid of regarding the vaccine educated doctors and nurses line up to get?" and " I KNOW ventilators really hurt worse than there are words. What makes you think for one second your cells will outsmart a virus which can be a killer in adults, especially?"

NOTE: I do not want any actual answers to these questions if they are " Why I chose not to be vaccinated". I will not read them if they are anti-vaccine rhetoric. There is only ONE truth and it is that vaccination is the one thing which will save our lives in a Pandemic which is now mutating to be " smarter". Or, go live in a cave, far away from other people, like the 1919 Spanish Influenza families at risk did. ( Details in my quilt historical post).

This posted twice. I am so sorry. Deleting duplicate. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member