GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Ah. So not found on the property itself.

So now the "5am crew", as alreetlike dubbed them, can still stick to their story.
The property supposedly backed up onto a mountainous natural reserve so could still be part of the enclave, so to speak. I suspect she let the guard in who brought her the water she was going to request. jmo

I expect an arrest very soon.......

Me too. Assuming the body is hers......
I have faith that the local authorities will get a confession out of the person(s) responsible for this and it does sound like it had to be either the Owner, the Security Guard, driver, or some combination of them colluding together.

What a terrible thing to have happened to her and the sad thing is she is gone now forever even if they arrest and prosecute the sicko perp(s).

The only thing I am even slightly happy about right now is it sounds like they had good cadaver dogs on scene that helped them find her body behind the Airbnb place she was staying. Less than 200 feet is close. I consider that part of the property even if the border of their property says it is outside of it. It points to someone who knew the Airbnb well also knew that land behind it. Uggggggg

I was going to post that I didn’t buy beleive she left at 5am, then saw the news...
I think “sketchy” was a reference to it being dark and quiet when power is off...
I am thinking it’s the guard...wish she would have drank from the faucet :(

Was it confirmed the power went off to the whole area OR is there a chance the owner or security guard purposely switched off the power to the Airbnb to put darkness onto the crime that was about to happen?

I was so hoping she was going to be found alive, but I knew the chances of her being found murdered were high. I have traveled by myself around the US, and I hate that, as a female, I always have to be super alert to everything and everyone around me. I've had some scary encounters, and I'm lucky to be still be alive.

Such a sad situation if this is indeed her which I assume it is. I know she claimed to be a "well seasoned traveler" but there are a few things that are uncomfortable to me with her being alone there once her sister in law left. Sometimes things are out of our control but one has to remember this is Costa Rica. I think at a minimum, if I was traveling alone, I would have used a licensed reputable taxi company as well as staying in a recognized hotel chain with security as opposed to an unregulated Airbnb with quite a few negative reviews. After all it is only for 1 night. Just try to make your surrounding environment as safe as possible. JMO
It's possible the actual Airbnb reviews were good, and were from solo women, we just can't see the page. Also, she probably expected there would be other guests. Unfortunately, it's still off-season. Airbnb promotes itself as being safe, and if you can't trust a security guard, who can you trust?

I just don't think she was putting herself in unnecessary danger, it wasn't something she could possibly have anticipated. I only wish she could have locked herself in her room until morning, unfortunately there was no water (most places supply a big jug of drinking water).

Terrible tragedy and outcome for the family. I guess it is better to know for sure, rather than wonder if she had been kidnapped or trafficked. Small consolation.

What about her cell phone? Did that have a tracking GPS? We have that for everyone in our family, you can see where they are in real time, as long as the phone is on.

I was so hoping she was going to be found alive, but I knew the chances of her being found murdered were high. I have traveled by myself around the US, and I hate that, as a female, I always have to be super alert to everything and everyone around me. I've had some scary encounters, and I'm lucky to be still be alive.
It's not just travelling though. Solo women are at risk of sexual violence at home as well.

Body found in Costa Rica in search for missing Florida woman

Snip

The body was found in a wooded area Monday as investigators combed through the area where Carla Stefaniak spent what was supposed to be her final night in Costa Rica last week, Judicial Investigator Director Walter Espinoza said in a press conference. The remains belong to a woman, but they have not yet been positively identified, Espinoza said.

I hate to admit it, but I'm a taxi girl to the core, and when I used them heavily I didn't even call the dispatch I just went through the list and called "My Taxi" people, AKA people who gave me their numbers, so yeah I'd say this is very common. Uber/Taxi/RideSharing....
My only point was that this would no longer be on the APP at that point it would be private, and to call it Uber isn't really what it is. I've been on here with you a lot, I don't think this is going to get solved quickly so when we are on thread #4 and someone mentions the Uber that picked her up, it's gonna cause a cluster of confusion because it wasn't. if that makes any sense at all.

It makes perfect sense. As soon as someone arranges a private ride outside of Uber, then even if the driver is registered at Uber, the ride is not Uber.

The odd thing is that she did have a ride arranged through a driver that she met through Uber at 8:30. Where did the other car come from? Is it another driver that she met earlier in the week, or is this someone who was just parked at the Airbnb in case someone needed a ride? That is the mystery question, and it seems that those who know the answers are only speaking to police.

Did she have a second cell phone? Was she travelling with a back-up power pack to charge her phone?

It makes perfect sense. As soon as someone arranges a private ride outside of Uber, then even if the driver is registered at Uber, the ride is not Uber.

The odd thing is that she did have a ride arranged through a driver that she met through Uber at 8:30. Where did the other car come from? Is it another driver that she met earlier in the week, or is this someone who was just parked at the Airbnb in case someone needed a ride? That is the mystery question, and it seems that those who know the answers are only speaking to police.

Did she have a second cell phone? Was she travelling with a back-up power pack to charge her phone?

I think there was no first car. I think that was a made up story. Sounds like this was a story dreamed up by the owner and security guard. I’d bet this isn’t the first time either. I may be in the minority but I believe the bad reviews and think the owner sounded so disrespectful in his comments about the reviewers. MOO

JRodriguez on Twitter | 3:27 PM (EST) - 3 Dec 2018

#BREAKING #CostaRica officials find a body near #Escazu AirBnB where #Miami resident #CarlaStefaniak went #missing nearly a week ago @ArlyAT51 @Telemundo51 #MissingPerson

Telemundo51 on Twitter | 3:59 PM (EST) - 3 Dec 2018

De momento, las autoridades costarricenses no han confirmado si se trata del cuerpo de Carla Stefaniak. Entérate de los detalles.

Translated from Spanish by Microsoft

For now, the Costa Rican authorities have not confirmed whether it is the body of Carla Stefaniak. Find out the details.

(Telemundo51 added,)

Hallan cuerpo en sitio donde se hospedaba joven de Miami

(From the above article, translated from Spanish by Google Translate)
The Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ) of Costa Rica found a body on the property on Monday where a young woman from Miami, who had disappeared since last week, stayed for the last time.

According to an OIJ source, a team of dogs found the body half-buried in the back garden of the property where Carla Stefaniak spent the night before disappearing on Wednesday of last week.

At the moment, the Costa Rican authorities have not confirmed whether it is the body of the young American woman of Venezuelan origin.

I guess she didn't get into a car at 5AM, and I guess whoever put her in the garden did not know that she had pre-arranged a ride at 8:30AM.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back