GUILTY Coup attempt underway in Turkey, 2016

The President had gone on vacation, which is why he isn't there right now and which is why someone started the coup. So, he needs to get back into the country. - MSNBC

This is BAD. praying for Peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Natasha Fatah ‏@NatashaFatah 18m18 minutes ago
#BREAKING A bomb has hit Turkey's parliament building in Ankara (Anadolu Agency)

MSNBC now has live shots from Turkey with gunfire. And, Turkish National tv station live in the newsroom that has been crowded by non coup supporters.

Anyone familiar enough with Turkey to give us a quick tutorial on the situation. I'm only vaguely familiar (and most of my knowledge is from ancient times, not modern times).

TIA.

Turkey's government is required to be secular but Erdogan is an Islamist so the military is trying to give him the heave ho. Here is a good 101 on the situation. ETA, right now on the sky news link from above, she is explaining just what I posted in the twitter link

[video=twitter;754095715828334592]https://twitter.com/Leonc33/status/754095715828334592[/video]

Welp. Can't argue with wanting to ensure a secular government......

Turkey's government is required to be secular but Erdogan is an Islamist so the military is trying to give him the heave ho. Here is a good 101 on the situation

[video=twitter;754095715828334592]https://twitter.com/Leonc33/status/754095715828334592[/video]

Thank you!! I am so clueless about Turkey and how they operate. So is this the entire military in Turkey waging the coup or just a portion of the military?

How Recep Tayyip Erdoğan inflamed tensions in Turkey

Background to coup includes various terror attacks and the Islamist president’s increasingly authoritarian views

<snip> Information was sketchy but Recep Tayyip Erdo&#287;an has alarmed many with his staunchly Islamist and increasingly authoritarian views, especially in the military, which has traditionally seen itself as a guardian of the country&#8217;s secular heritage, embodied by Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the modern republic. The president&#8217;s rhetoric has polarised the country and inflamed ethnic and sectarian tensions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/how-recep-tayyip-erdogan-inflamed-tensions-in-turkey

Thank you!! I am so clueless about Turkey and how they operate. So is this the entire military in Turkey waging the coup or just a portion of the military?

IHNI, but I know I'm on the side of the military:D:D

However, the lady on SkyNews just said that Erdogan got back to the airport in Turkey after being denied asylum from Germany and somewhere else, so I'm not happy about that.:D:D

According to CNN broadcast news Erdogan has landed in Istanbul. If, indeed he is trying to push Islamist extremism, he needs to be ousted! We need Turkey to remain secular in the worst possible way. It is a wonderful country & we need their help!

Perhaps it is encouraging that Erdogan is in Istanbul rather than Ankara which is the capitol & seat of the government. Just don't know.

Thank you. Just about everything on that list is new to me - and is helpful when trying to make sense of the coverage.

There's fake pictures & incorrect news galore on twitter right now.

Yes! And there are repeated photos that have a gray look to them - look totally fake - and all the tweets end with "please send help." Craziest news story I think I have followed on Twitter.

I wouldn't want to be there right now, very scary. Hopefully peace can be restored asap.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

People are now saying that Erdogan staged it because in his speech he said something like they are not going back to the old (secular) Turkey and that he would be cleaning out the military who is the guardian of the secular state and keeping his desired religion influenced government (according to Sky News)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back