COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

timeline

Timeline of the 2019–20 Wuhan coronavirus outbreak in February 2020 - Wikipedia

Date when first case in each first-level administration was reported

30–31 December 2019Edit
On 30 December 2019, an "urgent notice on the treatment of pneumonia of unknown cause" was issued by the Medical Administration and Medical Administration of Wuhan Municipal Health Committee.[266][267]

The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission also made a public announcement regarding the situation.[26] Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan immediately tightened their inbound screening processes as a result.[30][31]

2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide updated information as it becomes available, in addition to updated guidance.

Updated February 16, 2020

[paste:font size="5"]international locations, including the United States. Some person-to-person spread of this virus outside China has been detected. The United States reported the first confirmed instance of person-to-person spread with this virus on January 30, 2020.

On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concernexternal icon” (PHEIC). On January 31, 2020, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar II declared a public health emergency (PHE) for the United States to aid the nation’s healthcare community in responding to COVID-19. Also on January 31, the President of the United States signed a presidential “Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirusexternal icon.” These measures were announced at a press briefing by members of the President’s Coronavirus Task Forceexternal icon.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Source and Spread of the Virus
Chinese health officials have reported tens of thousands of cases of COVID-19 in China, with the virus reportedly spreading from person to person in parts of that country. COVID-19 illnesses, most of them associated with travel from Wuhan, also are being reported in a growing number of international locations, including the United States. Some person-to-person spread of this virus outside China has been detected. The United States reported the first confirmed instance of person-to-person spread with this virus on January 30, 2020.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV, both of which have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

Early on, many of the patients in the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Later, a growing number of patients reportedly did not have exposure to animal markets, indicating person-to-person spread. Chinese officials report that sustained person-to-person spread in the community is occurring in China. Person-to-person spread has been reported outside China, including in the United States and other countries. Learn what is known about the spread of newly emerged coronaviruses.

[URL="https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html"]2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
[/URL]

coronaviruses.

Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Global Map

View larger image and see a list of locations

COVID-19 in the U.S.

View larger image

[paste:font size="4"]detected in the U.S. Person-to-person spread of COVID-19 also has been seen among close contacts of returned travelers from Wuhan, but at this time, this virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States.

The U.S. government has taken unprecedented stepsexternal icon related to travel in response to the growing public health threat posed by this new coronavirus, including suspending entry in the United States of foreign nationals who have visited China within the past 14 days. Measures monitor the health of those who are allowed entry into the United States (U.S. citizens, residents and family) who have been in China within 14 days also are being implemented.

From Global Health Warning Thread #4

Sharing a post from @margarita25

Take simple daily precautions to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like Coronavirus Disease 2019. Learn more about #COVID19 prevention at https://bit.ly/37Ay6Cm.

0:29
70.6K views

EQlXKd4X0AMt5QE

8:29 AM · Feb 12, 2020·Twitter Media Studio

CDC (@CDCgov) on Twitter

Twitter

https://edhub.ama-assn.org/jn-learning/audio-player/18217492?resultClick=1&bypassSolrId=M_18217492
transcript

Howard Bauchner: Hello and welcome to this livestream event. This is Howard Bauchner, Editor-in-Chief of JAMA, and I'm here with Tony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and we're obviously, once again, going to talk about the novel coronavirus epidemic, now pandemic that's occurred in China and now is sadly moving around the world. Welcome, Tony.

Tony Fauci: Good to be with you, Howard.

HB: I want to thank you for joining us, I know you're busy, you've been on a lot of different broadcasts, you know, this one is really focused for physicians and other clinicians, so I -- I really appreciate that you've taken the time. Before we start, I just wanted to mention to the people who are watching this, it's streaming on YouTube and Facebook, it will be live as a podcast sometime early tomorrow morning. JAMA has currently published three pieces, the first, which was in fact, by Tony with his two co-authors Hilary Marston and Catharine Paules was “Coronavirus Infections, More than Just a Common Cold,” that was accompanied by another viewpoint by Larry Gaston and his two co-authors, Rebecca Katz and Alexandra Phelan entitled, “The Novel Coronavirus Originating in Wuan China, Challenges for Global Health Governance.” We put up another viewpoint early yesterday by Carlos Del Rio and Preeti Milani entitled, 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Important Information for Clinicians.

What I want to alert the listeners and people who are watching is we are putting up two very important papers tomorrow morning [February 7]. The first is a long research report entitled “Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients with 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan China.” We think it's the largest case series to date and has some really important information in it, I would just comment, we held that publication for a day or two because there were one or two critical facts that we really, really wanted to make sure were correct. But just to highlight two of the findings, the first is, of these 138 patients, 36 ended up in the intensive care unit, and so there's quite a bit of details about the complications of these 36 patients. And the other, which is using a preliminary definition was that almost 40% of this sample of 138 hospitalized patients were infected by individuals who had come to the hospital and were infected.

Now this is a presumed figure, but it's quite high, and I think it will be of interest to all of the readers. So, Tony, you and I correspondent yesterday a bit, why don't we start the big picture, and then walk through it, and then I know I have some other specific questions. So, as of this morning, about 28,000 infected individuals worldwide, over 500 deaths, where do we stand with respect to China?

Tony Fauci: Well -- you know, China has the overwhelming bulk of the infections and the issue here, Howard, that I think is really important is that the cases that we're getting the numbers every day in almost real time are the numbers that you just gave as of last night. If you do the math on that, as we've done every day, it's remarkable that the fatality rate -- the case fatality rate has stayed at 2%. The issue is on conversations with our scientific colleagues and public health colleagues in China, it's very clear that the people who are getting caught in that umbrella of reporting are the people who present themselves to a hospital, about 25%, as you mentioned, of these individuals have serious enough disease to put them in the intensive care unit. However, there's another whole cohort that is either asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic that are going to make that denominator much, much larger than it is.

And the reason I think this is important is because this is acting if the case fatality rate goes down to a really, really bad flu season type fatality, the fatality in a normal flu season is about .1%. When you get into the pandemics of 1957, 1968, it goes up to, you know, 0.8 to 1, 1.2. When you get to the 1918 pandemic, the famous Spanish flu that killed 50 to 100 million, people you go up to as much as 2%. So, if this goes down to the, 1, or .8, .9, 1, 1.1, it's acting more like a really bad flu season or a pandemic flu that we've experienced. The reason I say this is that it's acting less like SARS, which has much less efficiency in transmissibility, but a death rate of 9 to 12%, similar to MERS, which is not efficiently adapted to humans, it doesn't spread as well, but has a fatality of about 36%.

So, I think that we can say we don't know everything about this virus, but it's evolving in a way that looks like it's adapting itself to infecting much better. But we're going to start seeing a diminution in the overall death rate.

HB: Yeah, you and I chatted about this briefly before that we weren't quite sure what the denominator was, we were very good about counting the numerator, but the denominator was much more difficult. Tony, what's popped up in a number of viewpoints that's come across my desk, some of the literature is this -- RO. Could you explain this R thing that people have been writing a lot about?

HB: This is Howard Bauchner, Editor-in-Chief of JAMA. I've been speaking with Tony Fauci. Tony, again, on behalf of our listeners, JAMA, the U.S. people around the world, thank you. I do want to emphasize that we have a coronavirus educational center. We've put up a number of opinion pieces, we'll be putting up two very, very important research papers tomorrow, and then a couple over the weekend. I'm sure we'll pepper some of the research papers with more opinion pieces. We've made these free to the world, many are being translated into simple Chinese. And I would be remiss not to thank everyone who I work with the JAMA. Tony knows his viewpoint came in and went up in three days, we are really trying to process these papers quickly, we realize it's a public health emergency. On the other hand, for us, it's critically important to make sure that what we put up is accurate and true, so occasionally we have held up a paper or two for a day or so. But we're working literally around the clock to try to get out papers quickly and to make them freely available to the world....

the entire podcast and transcript is available free at the above link

Attachments

• 7CD90A98-D09B-42E0-B9BD-3D89D3A7838D.jpeg
    7CD90A98-D09B-42E0-B9BD-3D89D3A7838D.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4
Coronavirus is more fatal in men than women, major study suggests

In research published Monday analysts studied 72,314 patient records from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC). The records detailed 44,672 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 16,186 suspected cases and 889 cases where the carrier of the coronavirus displayed no symptoms. Patients were categorized into three groups depending on whether their symptoms were mild, severe or critical.

According to the findings, just 4.7% of the confirmed cases had reached “critical” status, meaning patients had exhibited symptoms like respiratory failure, septic shock and multiple organ dysfunction or failure. However, half of the cases categorized as critical had turned fatal, the data showed.

The CCDC data also suggested that fatality rates were higher among men than women. Officials recorded a 2.8% fatality rate for male patients, whereas 1.7% of cases in women resulted in death.

Case fatality rate increased with age, with 14.8% of cases in people over the age of 80 resulting in death. Patients between the ages of 70 and 79 had an 8% fatality rate, while those aged 60 to 69 had a fatality rate of 3.6%.

Researchers calculated an overall fatality rate of 2.3%, with a total of 1,023 deaths recorded among the confirmed cases of the virus in the study.

Cardiovascular disease was the pre-existing condition most associated with increased fatalities, with the study reporting a fatality rate of 10.5% in patients who suffered with the condition. Diabetes sufferers had a fatality rate of 7.3%, while the frequency of fatalities was also higher than the overall rate in people with chronic respiratory disease, hypertension and cancer.

In patients with no reported underlying conditions, the fatality rate dropped to 0.9%, according to the study.

Here's a timeline of how China's viral outbreak spread worldwide

Here's a Timeline of How China's Viral Outbreak Spread Worldwide
chinas-mysterious-viral-outbreak-spread.jpg

In December, a viral outbreak started in Wuhan, China and has since spread throughout the world — giving rise to fears of a global crisis.

The virus, originally dubbed 2019-nCoV and later officially named COVID-19, has remained mysterious. That’s partially because China has worked to control the narrative and flow of information, and also because many milder cases likely flew under the radar. As the media has made sense of the looming pandemic, different outlets have sometimes provided conflicting information, even within the same day.

To make sense of COVID-19’s spread throughout and beyond China, here’s our distilled timeline of the deadly, pneumonia-like disease’s progression.

December 27, 2019: Officials in Wuhan, China announce that 27 residents, mostly stallholders at the city’s Huanan Seafood Market, have fallen ill with a mysterious virus.

January 1, 2020: Chinese state media announces that police have investigated eight people for “spreading rumors” about the virus online.

January 3, 2020: After a week of radio silence and accusations of censorship, Wuhan officials say they’ve identified 44 patients infected with the virus. Five suspected cases emerge in Hong Kong. Wuhan officials rule out the possibility that the virus could be influenza, avian influenza, or a long list of common respiratory diseases.

January 5, 2020: The virus has now spread to 59 people in Wuhan and the number of suspected cases in Hong Kong grows to 21. Experts rule out the possibility that the virus is a resurgence of SARS.

(More at link... note. Most of the original reports were posted by those in China. They were subsequently detained and their posts have been scrubbed. refer to Thread #1 for outtakes.

These are two folks who do almost daily reports on COVID-19 that are followed on the main thread.

I'm posting in this media thread their latest ones so folks can click to see all their play lists/videos and/or subscribe. Both are medical professionals that are well versed and very informative and stick ONLY to facts and evidence, yet sometimes interject professional opinions and state when it is their opinion vs. facts. They are the two best folks on the net MOO for good info and up to date daily info on currently classified by WHO as an epidemic.

Of note, the above guy is so well respected that he has now 285,000 subscribers. (note: YouTube new policy does NOT allow monetization of any virus channels)

Same as above, this guy has 511,000 subscribers

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood