Crafts To Do During Covid Restrictions

How about something from an adult coloring book, @JaneEyre ? Maybe take a couple pages for each bag, with some pound store colored pencils or markers?

I've also crocheted dishcloths/face cloths/hot pads recently. Easy to crank one out in an afternoon of TV and since they go fast, I don't get bored. I am not a very good crocheter, and it's a good way to try out new stitches and techniques, too.

Oh, I also wrote four short stories, all under the umbrella of Love During Covid and worked on several other writing projects. I was very disappointed to learn I did not win a local writing contest (I was second) and was beaten by a poem about homeschooling heroes. My say something nice: it had textbook meter.

I have been collecting the cones that have been falling from my neighbors white pine tree into my yard for the past couple of months, and just finished this wreath yesterday.
This weekend, my nieces and I are going to make owl ornaments out of the handful I have left :)

upload_2020-12-7_12-49-57.png

I have been collecting the cones that have been falling from my neighbors white pine tree into my yard for the past couple of months, and just finished this wreath yesterday.
This weekend, my nieces and I are going to make owl ornaments out of the handful I have left :)

View attachment 274790
We hardly ever get any but this year I got masses, too!

View attachment 274790

That's a stunning wreath! Did you use a pattern of some kind, or instructions online?

Our yard has many pine trees and, of course, pine cones. I've never tried making a wreath, but I have applied a peanut butter/bird seed mix to several large cones and hung them for the birds. Like the ones in this article: https://www.thespruce.com/pine-cone-bird-feeder-385750

Owl ornaments sound cute too. I hope you will post a photo of those too!

That's a stunning wreath! Did you use a pattern of some kind, or instructions online?

Our yard has many pine trees and, of course, pine cones. I've never tried making a wreath, but I have applied a peanut butter/bird seed mix to several large cones and hung them for the birds. Like the ones in this article: https://www.thespruce.com/pine-cone-bird-feeder-385750

Owl ornaments sound cute too. I hope you will post a photo of those too!

Hi Anne!
I am thinking that if the girls get bored of the owl crafts we might do the pb bird seed too. We used to do that a lot when I was a kid.
Below is a pretty good outline of what I did for the wreath.
A small warning - shoving the closed cones into the wire was not easy - my hands hurt for days! I swore I would never make another.
And then it dried and opened up and I am in love with it and will definitely do it again next year :)

https://3houses.com/how-to-make-a-pine-cone-wreath-without-gluing-or-wiring/

Hi Anne!
I am thinking that if the girls get bored of the owl crafts we might do the pb bird seed too. We used to do that a lot when I was a kid.
Below is a pretty good outline of what I did for the wreath.
A small warning - shoving the closed cones into the wire was not easy - my hands hurt for days! I swore I would never make another.
And then it dried and opened up and I am in love with it and will definitely do it again next year :)

https://3houses.com/how-to-make-a-pine-cone-wreath-without-gluing-or-wiring/
Wow! That's quite the process!

This year is especially important, because I actually know people who are trying to figure out which bills not to pay, and believe me, Christmas shopping, is pretty low on the list.

Maybe something easy and fun, like just copies of Christmas trees, that kids can color.

Now, in order to be inclusive for children with disabilities, make a snowman outline, with either a glue gun, or pipe cleaners glued to paper, include a baggy of shredded paper, they can glue the shredded paper inside the raised area, to make a tactile snowman.
10 Sensory Christmas Activities for Children who are Blind! | WonderBaby.org

I made dozens of these ornaments last year. Many by hand because they were so easy. A little pack of candy fits inside or maybe some money folded up.

Attachments

• 15994F2C-B3A7-4977-8518-5EFE1FE4866E.jpeg
    15994F2C-B3A7-4977-8518-5EFE1FE4866E.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
This year is especially important, because I actually know people who are trying to figure out which bills not to pay, and believe me, Christmas shopping, is pretty low on the list.

Maybe something easy and fun, like just copies of Christmas trees, that kids can color.

Now, in order to be inclusive for children with disabilities, make a snowman outline, with either a glue gun, or pipe cleaners glued to paper, include a baggy of shredded paper, they can glue the shredded paper inside the raised area, to make a tactile snowman.
10 Sensory Christmas Activities for Children who are Blind! | WonderBaby.org
These are great! I did the ice cream cone Christmas Tree with my kids years ago. They loved it. You can also do it with card stock and glue things on it too. Twigs, beads, etc.

Last edited:
I went from saying I would not do a video tutorial to doing 2 video tutorials today on those paper crafts. Very redneck rigging job with the video. We took my husband’s car phone holder and suction cupped it to a lap tray that has a hinged table top. We put the whole contraption on a regular table, angled upward so that the phone hung down on a 45 degree angle and I could video my hands making the project up-close.

I’m thinking about a clothes pin wreath with washi tape next. I’ll find a picture.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back