Crafty Mom Catches Teacher on Tape

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh texana...don't EVEN get me started on the substituting situation!!!!!!

This post shows that you lack the education to make valid judgments concerning the teaching field. A child that has learning disabilities makes progress at a slower rate than a child that is average, even when the teacher is top notch. A child that is above average makes faster progress despite having just an "average" teacher.

A child with learning disabilities should be getting extra "care". When my daughter was diagnosed with learning disablities they assigned her a tutor to work with her during school hours so she could learn at the proper "rate" with the other kids. These tutors taught her how to work around her disablilities.

When my daughter's first grade teacher let her pass on to second grade... she couldn't even read! That's what gave us a clue that something wasn't right. By the time my daughter graduated from eighth grade, she was the top reader in her school, thanks to these teachers and tutors that took care of her in elementary school. Now, my daughter is a freshman at University and is getting a B average in her studies...

If the schools and teachers take the extra time they can and do help and teach these children learn at the "proper rate" of learning.

A child with learning disabilities should be getting extra "care". When my daughter was diagnosed with learning disablities they assigned her a tutor to work with her during school hours so she could learn at the proper "rate" with the other kids. These tutors taught her how to work around her disablilities.

When my daughter's first grade teacher let her pass on to second grade... she couldn't even read! That's what gave us a clue that something wasn't right. By the time my daughter graduated from eighth grade, she was the top reader in her school, thanks to these teachers and tutors that took care of her in elementary school. Now, my daughter is a freshman at University and is getting a B average in her studies...

If the schools and teachers take the extra time they can and do help and teach these children learn at the "proper rate" of learning.
I am talking about SEVERE learning cases. I taught the children that had an IQ in the range of low 70's and high 60's. Those children are considered mildly retarded. However, they still CAN and DO learn how to read and do addition and subtraction, just not as quickly as normal range IQ children. Since your child is now attending college and doing a wonderful job, I assume she was not in this IQ category. I bet you are proud of her for working so hard.

Thank goodness Miami had an entire program that separated Gifted LD students into classes of their own. My son had 140 IQ and had an auditory disability. When given verbal instructions, his brain scrambled it. So if the teacher said out loud what is 8 X 8, he couldn't give the correct answer, yet if it was on paper, it was no problem getting the answer right. He would fail totally in a general class atmosphere. That program put him with kids that had disabilities, but high intelligence. Very successful. He also went on to college, had a math professor become his advisor and get with his other professors as to his requirements.

As long as we are throwing out ideas about problems with schools, I think class size has a lot to do with the success (or not) of a teacher.

Our classroom sizes were in the mid-30's per teacher last year. They actually spent more time w/behavior issues than they should have to. That also left ZERO time for spotting a potential problem w/a student in a subject and no time for one-on-one interaction. :(

We need to start a thread about these issues though if everyone wants to discuss them!

As long as we are throwing out ideas about problems with schools, I think class size has a lot to do with the success (or not) of a teacher.

Our classroom sizes were in the mid-30's per teacher last year. They actually spent more time w/behavior issues than they should have to. That also left ZERO time for spotting a potential problem w/a student in a subject and no time for one-on-one interaction. :(

We need to start a thread about these issues though if everyone wants to discuss them!
I agree with you Taximom. I taught the low IQ level children, so my classes were smaller. I could not have been successful if I had that many children in my classes. Class size does matter a lot! So does patience and loving the children. A child needs to feel safe, loved, and respected to do well. Even the young children know if you care about them as humans. That is such an important and often overlooked factor.

Thank goodness Miami had an entire program that separated Gifted LD students into classes of their own. My son had 140 IQ and had an auditory disability. When given verbal instructions, his brain scrambled it. So if the teacher said out loud what is 8 X 8, he couldn't give the correct answer, yet if it was on paper, it was no problem getting the answer right. He would fail totally in a general class atmosphere. That program put him with kids that had disabilities, but high intelligence. Very successful. He also went on to college, had a math professor become his advisor and get with his other professors as to his requirements.

My daughter was just the opposite... verbally she proved she was very intelligent and high IQ. When it was required to be written down, it got lost and scrambled from brain to hand. That's how she passed first grade... she memorized the stories they read (they read them over and over again) and when prompted to read, knew word for word the story! LOL! Thank god for the special efforts made by her elementary school... she learned "work arounds" to her disabilities and now excels at her tasks.

A child with learning disabilities should be getting extra "care". When my daughter was diagnosed with learning disablities they assigned her a tutor to work with her during school hours so she could learn at the proper "rate" with the other kids.
You are soooo lucky to be in a district that does this! Most children aren't that lucky. I am sure that you also did your part as a parent to see that your child's IEP was followed. I agree that children with learning problems should have individual help as well as a teacher that is experienced in helping children overcome their learning disabilities. I had VERY small classes and a budget to buy extra things to help them. I also was given money for the latest and up to date workshops to keep up on the newest and latest information on how to help these children. It was hard work, but so rewarding! They were the sweetest children because all they wanted was to feel and be treated as everyone else. I still see my kiddos in town working. It makes me feel good to have them talk to me and sometimes I still get bear hugs. :D It took my boyfriend a while to get used to a 6' man running up to me and giving me hugs. I had to explain to him that while "James" was a 23 year old man, inside his head, he was still a "child" that loved his first grade teacher. He probably still thinks like an 8 year old...but HE CAN READ!!!! He was the lowest child that I ever taught to read. I kept him three years. I will always remember him as the kid that put forth his best effort at all times. I was so excited to see him working at McDonalds. It really made my day!!!!

This post shows that you lack the education to make valid judgments concerning the teaching field. A child that has learning disabilities makes progress at a slower rate than a child that is average, even when the teacher is top notch. A child that is above average makes faster progress despite having just an "average" teacher.
luckily i am to stupid to feel insulted by your repeated attempts to insult my intelligence. as shocking as it might be the fact i disagree with you does not mean you must personally attack or insult me. unless i am wrong and if i had more fancy schoolin i woulda learned me more better about how low IQ type people like me are fair game for the smarties if we go forgetin our place.

My daughter was just the opposite... verbally she proved she was very intelligent and high IQ. When it was required to be written down, it got lost and scrambled from brain to hand. That's how she passed first grade... she memorized the stories they read (they read them over and over again) and when prompted to read, knew word for word the story! LOL! Thank god for the special efforts made by her elementary school... she learned "work arounds" to her disabilities and now excels at her tasks.

This is exactly what is happening with my son. I don't know what to do with him, and his teacher is a big pain in the butt. I try to tell him that if he "talks" it out in his brain, then that is exactly how it should be written down. That doesn't work too well. I'm at a loss as he doesn't have anything "wrong" with him, as in a diagnosis of anything major except ADD-I. It's so hard.

luckily i am to stupid to feel insulted by your repeated attempts to insult my intelligence. as shocking as it might be the fact i disagree with you does not mean you must personally attack or insult me. unless i am wrong and if i had more fancy schoolin i woulda learned me more better about how low IQ type people like me are fair game for the smarties if we go forgetin our place.
I did not mean to insult you in any way. I am saying you lack the education and understanding to make the performance pay statement. I never said you were stupid. I have never said that to ANYONE here. :mad: If we all had the same opinion ..WS would be a boring place. I also never said I was so smart because I have an education. I know nothing about retail as you do, but that doesn't mean I am stupid either. We have different talents and that makes each of us unique. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think I am saying that an educated person is better than someone who is not. I am only the second one in my family that has an education and I, at one time, had a HUGE family. I think they ALL rocked. You are very much wrong about me, and my values in life. If you are trying to pick a fight with me...you must not know me as a poster. I don't do that.

I did not mean to insult you in any way. I am saying you lack the education and understanding to make the performance pay statement. I never said you were stupid. I have never said that to ANYONE here. :mad: If we all had the same opinion ..WS would be a boring place. I also never said I was so smart because I have an education. I know nothing about retail as you do, but that doesn't mean I am stupid either. We have different talents and that makes each of us unique. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think I am saying that an educated person is better than someone who is not. I am only the second one in my family that has an education and I, at one time, had a HUGE family. I think they ALL rocked. You are very much wrong about me, and my values in life. If you are trying to pick a fight with me...you must not know me as a poster. I don't do that.
This post shows that you lack the education to make valid judgments concerning the teaching field.
You don't have the education or the experience to make the claim that a teacher should be paid on performance.
I am not responsible for making sure that YOU as a parent do YOUR job so YOUR child will be successful.
these comments made me feel you made a personal attack rather than a reasoned argument. i enjoy a debate but not a fight. i enjoyed the post by texana despite the fact they did not agree with mine due to the valid points texana brought up. that is the best part of posting here for me. the chance to engage in debate with those that disagree. as you said it would be rather boring if we sat around patting each other on the back all day here. i continue to disagree with you statement that due to my lack of education i should not comment on the teaching field as it affects me i feel it is my right. if you did not mean your comments as a insult i accept that. i am sorry for any offence you may have taken from my post.

This is exactly what is happening with my son. I don't know what to do with him, and his teacher is a big pain in the butt. I try to tell him that if he "talks" it out in his brain, then that is exactly how it should be written down. That doesn't work too well. I'm at a loss as he doesn't have anything "wrong" with him, as in a diagnosis of anything major except ADD-I. It's so hard.

I don't know your school district, but in ours when we asked for disability testing the school had to do so and within a month's time period. Once diagnosed, the school had to provide the tutoring for her. Check with your school district on the policy they have. Once the child is tested and diagnosed, the teacher has no say in what or what not is provided for the student's learning. I can tell you my daughter had a couple of doozy teachers, but the tutors more than made up for their lack.

I hate teachers knowing when your child has ADD/ADHD because then they blame the medicine or lack of.

Even if the school psychologists are "backed up" (which is what they tell me when I have asked), once you ask for "disability testing" they have to do it within a month (where you are)? I will have to look into that here. If anything, he might have slight LD. I say slight because he aces some subjects, although I don't know if there are degrees of LD. I think it has to do with different teachers. His science teacher gives him compliments all the time because she's the encouraging kind (and her dd takes the same med he does!). He aces that class. So sometimes I'm not sure it's all a "disability". Does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice, MagicRose. :blowkiss:

Even if the school psychologists are "backed up" (which is what they tell me when I have asked), once you ask for "disability testing" they have to do it within a month (where you are)? I will have to look into that here. If anything, he might have slight LD. I say slight because he aces some subjects, although I don't know if there are degrees of LD. I think it has to do with different teachers. His science teacher gives him compliments all the time because she's the encouraging kind (and her dd takes the same med he does!). He aces that class. So sometimes I'm not sure it's all a "disability". Does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice, MagicRose. :blowkiss:

Before the testing, they don't know what his LD(s) are... that's what the testing is for. And yes, they school district has to comply within a certain amount of time when you ask for testing or you can take retribution in some form or another. If the school district is giving you a hard time, my favorite line is, "That's OK... I'll just contact Mayor Smith and get some resolution that way..." LOL! Here, the schools are overseen by the Mayor and their office... no school wants to draw attention of the Mayor.

I just happened across this thread, so rather than start an entirely new thread re: special ed/testing issues, I thought I'd post re: our son's situation here.

Our son was assessed by the Neuropsych Department Head at Children's Oakland three years ago. He was found to have profound dysgraphia, higher order speech/language issues and true deficits re: inability to understand principles behind math concepts.

So...

Our school district is notorious for not providing 'programs' for Resource students. In spite of our son's learning style differences, he was found to be a completely normal child in every way; he is not on the autism spectrum, thank goodnes. He is well behaved and well liked by both his teachers and students alike.

Our problem: We butted heads with this district re: the Resource math program (and I use that term loosely) they were providing Ryan. They placed Ryan in a classroom of students who are literally all over the page with varying degrees of grade level. There were 6th graders, 7th and
8th graders all in this particular program. Quite justifiably, we were wondering how on earth Ryan would be brought up to grade level in math (he's approx. one year behind his peers), given the varying degrees of disabilities seen with these other resource math students.

So...finally, we were proffered a different type program. We were asked back in DECEMBER of this past year, if we would agree to place Ryan into a pre-algebra math program -- i.e., a regular ed program, all the while continuing to use Ryan's Resource math teacher, Peter, as his support for this new pre-algebra program. The problem?

This Resource math teacher is green to the gills re: teaching and is a complete slug. We, and other parents as well, have had numerous issues with this particular teacher. He's a former Army Sergeant and among other things, was treating these students as you would any soldier in the army. I won't get into all of that -- let's just suffice to say that once Ryan told us what was going on with this teacher, we went to the Vice-Principal, who put an immediate stop to it.

The problem with this new math program? Ryan takes his new pre-algebra class during 7th period and proceeds to go to Peter's (resource math instructor) 8th period right afterwards. Ryan does not participate with the other students in this 8th period class, as he is performing work far above the level they are working on. Ryan sits by himself in the back of the classroom, performing the homework he has been assigned by his new pre-algebra teacher.

Peter provides little to NO actual support to Ryan during this time! Ryan has informed us from the beginning of his placement into this new program, that most all of Peter's time is spent trying to control these rather unruly, obstinate students who are also in this math period. In fact, we have been notified by Ryan's pre-algebra teacher that he is missing homework from the last two days of this past January -- a fact that just boggles our mind, because Ryan performs literally ALL his math homework from this new algebra class in Peter's classroom! So, if Peter is supporting Ryan during this 8th period classroom time, how come the missing homework?

We've been told that Dorothea and Peter (Dorothea is Ryan's algebra teacher) collaborate all the time.

Really.

It is quite obvious there is no true collaboration. Frankly, if, indeed, this homework was not turned in by Ryan for the last two days in January, Dorothea should have notified Peter immediately.

Plus, to add insult to injury, Ryan was literally garnishing straight A's in BOTH these classes from the beginning! We found out that, in our district, simply turning in homework and putting your name on it, garners you an A! In other words, fake grading all the way. Our district utilizes School Loop and literally, we were seeing all A+'s for Ryan in BOTH his 7th and 8th period math classes, but yet, when Ryan took a huge quiz in his algebra class, guess what...he bombed out completely and ended up with an F for his end of semester grade!

Literally, they were giving us false impressions as to how Ryan was doing all along. The really sad part is, RYAN really thought he was comprehending this work -- why wouldn't he -- he was making straight A's.

:mad: :mad: I am so angry about all of this. Further, today Ryan informs me that Peter confronted Ryan in his class today and stated to Ryan, in front of the other kids, that Peter actually has spent 1/2 hour each and every time Ryan didn't understand his new algebra homework. IF Peter were truly spending this much time with Ryan -- GREAT! Ryan has no earthly reason to lie about the amount of time Peter spends with him.

Peter's lying. He's been sending me emails galore, telling me how wonderfully Ryan is doing and that he understands every single thing. Further, about one month ago, Peter actually had the audacity to ask Ryan how Ryan thought he was doing in this new math program.

Of course, Ryan thought he was doing just swell and said so. Thereupon Peter told Ryan that he, Peter, was considering pulling OUT as Ryan's support for this new math program. This all happened BEFORE Ryan totally bombed out on this huge pre-algebra math quiz -- during which time I begged Peter to stay on as Ryan's support, thinking at the time that Ryan didn't need to have the rug pulled out from underneath him.

We have found a tutoring business called Mathnasium. Mathnasium is made up of highly credentialed math instructors who have a passion for teaching math. Several of them actually instruct at the high school level here in this district. We KNOW for a fact that ALL these instructors are considered to be better qualified/credentialed than Peter, who is totally green to teaching -- this is but his 2nd year teaching.

We have asked that Peter be pulled from this program and allow Mathnasium to, instead, be used as Ryan's support system for this new math program. The district's response? Peter is part of the package deal. Take it or leave it.

We haven't even asked this district to PAY for Mathnasium's services!

Anyone ever experience anything like this in your school district? If so, how in the world do you cope/strategize/advocate for your child with this sort of behavior?

I wish I had thought to do this with my son's first grade teacher. Not sure if it would have been available. Believe me, they believe the teachers words. When I sent my son to first grade, he thought he was the smartest kid around. We spent six years building his self esteem. She took two days to undo what we had worked so hard for. In two days he thought he was ugly and stupid. He's a senior in HS and just now is figuring out he is not as stupid as she made him out to be. My son has a very high IQ, he should never have made below an A. He barely passed until this year. This year he has made A's and B's.

I had the exact same experience with a first-grade teacher. My mom went to talk to her, but the teacher basically blew her off. My mom wasn't the type to make a fuss. I WILL BE!!!

I just happened across this thread, so rather than start an entirely new thread re: special ed/testing issues, I thought I'd post re: our son's situation here.

Our son was assessed by the Neuropsych Department Head at Children's Oakland three years ago. He was found to have profound dysgraphia, higher order speech/language issues and true deficits re: inability to understand principles behind math concepts.

So...

Our school district is notorious for not providing 'programs' for Resource students. In spite of our son's learning style differences, he was found to be a completely normal child in every way; he is not on the autism spectrum, thank goodnes. He is well behaved and well liked by both his teachers and students alike.

Our problem: We butted heads with this district re: the Resource math program (and I use that term loosely) they were providing Ryan. They placed Ryan in a classroom of students who are literally all over the page with varying degrees of grade level. There were 6th graders, 7th and
8th graders all in this particular program. Quite justifiably, we were wondering how on earth Ryan would be brought up to grade level in math (he's approx. one year behind his peers), given the varying degrees of disabilities seen with these other resource math students.

So...finally, we were proffered a different type program. We were asked back in DECEMBER of this past year, if we would agree to place Ryan into a pre-algebra math program -- i.e., a regular ed program, all the while continuing to use Ryan's Resource math teacher, Peter, as his support for this new pre-algebra program. The problem?

This Resource math teacher is green to the gills re: teaching and is a complete slug. We, and other parents as well, have had numerous issues with this particular teacher. He's a former Army Sergeant and among other things, was treating these students as you would any soldier in the army. I won't get into all of that -- let's just suffice to say that once Ryan told us what was going on with this teacher, we went to the Vice-Principal, who put an immediate stop to it.

The problem with this new math program? Ryan takes his new pre-algebra class during 7th period and proceeds to go to Peter's (resource math instructor) 8th period right afterwards. Ryan does not participate with the other students in this 8th period class, as he is performing work far above the level they are working on. Ryan sits by himself in the back of the classroom, performing the homework he has been assigned by his new pre-algebra teacher.

Peter provides little to NO actual support to Ryan during this time! Ryan has informed us from the beginning of his placement into this new program, that most all of Peter's time is spent trying to control these rather unruly, obstinate students who are also in this math period. In fact, we have been notified by Ryan's pre-algebra teacher that he is missing homework from the last two days of this past January -- a fact that just boggles our mind, because Ryan performs literally ALL his math homework from this new algebra class in Peter's classroom! So, if Peter is supporting Ryan during this 8th period classroom time, how come the missing homework?

We've been told that Dorothea and Peter (Dorothea is Ryan's algebra teacher) collaborate all the time.

Really.

It is quite obvious there is no true collaboration. Frankly, if, indeed, this homework was not turned in by Ryan for the last two days in January, Dorothea should have notified Peter immediately.

Plus, to add insult to injury, Ryan was literally garnishing straight A's in BOTH these classes from the beginning! We found out that, in our district, simply turning in homework and putting your name on it, garners you an A! In other words, fake grading all the way. Our district utilizes School Loop and literally, we were seeing all A+'s for Ryan in BOTH his 7th and 8th period math classes, but yet, when Ryan took a huge quiz in his algebra class, guess what...he bombed out completely and ended up with an F for his end of semester grade!

Literally, they were giving us false impressions as to how Ryan was doing all along. The really sad part is, RYAN really thought he was comprehending this work -- why wouldn't he -- he was making straight A's.

:mad: :mad: I am so angry about all of this. Further, today Ryan informs me that Peter confronted Ryan in his class today and stated to Ryan, in front of the other kids, that Peter actually has spent 1/2 hour each and every time Ryan didn't understand his new algebra homework. IF Peter were truly spending this much time with Ryan -- GREAT! Ryan has no earthly reason to lie about the amount of time Peter spends with him.

Peter's lying. He's been sending me emails galore, telling me how wonderfully Ryan is doing and that he understands every single thing. Further, about one month ago, Peter actually had the audacity to ask Ryan how Ryan thought he was doing in this new math program.

Of course, Ryan thought he was doing just swell and said so. Thereupon Peter told Ryan that he, Peter, was considering pulling OUT as Ryan's support for this new math program. This all happened BEFORE Ryan totally bombed out on this huge pre-algebra math quiz -- during which time I begged Peter to stay on as Ryan's support, thinking at the time that Ryan didn't need to have the rug pulled out from underneath him.

We have found a tutoring business called Mathnasium. Mathnasium is made up of highly credentialed math instructors who have a passion for teaching math. Several of them actually instruct at the high school level here in this district. We KNOW for a fact that ALL these instructors are considered to be better qualified/credentialed than Peter, who is totally green to teaching -- this is but his 2nd year teaching.

We have asked that Peter be pulled from this program and allow Mathnasium to, instead, be used as Ryan's support system for this new math program. The district's response? Peter is part of the package deal. Take it or leave it.

We haven't even asked this district to PAY for Mathnasium's services!

Anyone ever experience anything like this in your school district? If so, how in the world do you cope/strategize/advocate for your child with this sort of behavior?

This story of your son and his grades reminds me of a situation when I was in high school.

I don't want to hijack this thread so without going into much of my history, thoughout high school I had an IEP that usually needed revamping a couple of times a school year. At one point I was having a difficult time with not only my math work but my math teacher so we asked for a meeting with my IEP team to go over some of the issues before they got out of hand.

During the meeting I explained that I did not understand what was being taught in class, that I never did my classwork OR homework and that I was sure that I was failing the class. I explained that I had gone to the teacher for extra help but that he couldn't be bothered.

So, during the meeting, I asked to be switched out of the class or to be allowed to go to the resource room for help because I didn't want to fail. My math teacher spoke up, telling everyone what great grades I had in math and that I had indeed handed in every homework assignment!! My jaw about hit the floor- this man was lying to the entire IEP team!

I was so pissed and felt so cheated... I cried, I yelled.. I kept saying "He's giving me these grades, he is a liar- I didn't do this work!" no one believed me and so then I became angry and eventually I swore (which is exactly what the math teacher knew I'd do- after all it was why I needed Special Ed and IEP's in the first place) The team believed him- the only person who believed me was my mother, and she fought for me, thank G0d!

I realize this was a long time ago (I am 35 years old) but obviously it has stayed with me. Sometimes I feel like looking this guy up and telling him that I remember him and what a lying piece of trash he is.

I think it's great that you are willing to fight for your son, not all parents do!

Kim,
I wish your experience was atypical, but unfortunately, it's not. Some districts and some states are better than others, but California is not a state I have heard good things about, for special needs students.

It's poor consolation that my sister, the algebra teacher, tells many sad tales about some of her fellow math teachers. Middle school seems particularly loaded with poor teachers (and I can't explain why, other than that elementary teachers have students for longer periods and so are more accountable, and high school teachers seem to be more knowledgeable in their subject matters.)

I would advise you to continue filling in the gaps for your son by any means necessary, documenting everything, and creating a massive paper trail. When it comes to documentation, he who has the most, in education, wins.

The law states (federal) that your child needs the least restrictive environment in order to succeed.

If your son can do well in a regular classroom with follow up tutoring outside the classroom you provide (mathnasium is great!) then I think you should refuse services and go that route. As you saw with Mathnasium, a highly qualified math instructor is worth his/her weight in gold.

Peter as a second year teacher isn't that great, the resource teacher is a newbie as well, and neither one has a solid math background OR natural teaching skills that would compensate for the lack of experience. You're probably better off without either one of them.

I wish again your experience was unique but at least you are making sure your child's needs are met.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSlider
Back