Croatia - Jasmina Dominic, 23, missing since 2000, body found in sister‘s freezer, Zagreb, Feb 2019

cybervampira

Reaction score
Sister of woman last seen in 2000 detained after body found in freezer in Croatia

Police said they have detained the older sister of Jasmina Dominic, who was reported missing in 2005 but was last seen in 2000 when she was 23 years old.

upload_2019-2-18_18-14-35.jpeg

The body was found Saturday in a freezer in the hallway of the Dominic family home in the village of Pavlovec, northeast of Zagreb, a police statement said. Smiljana Srnec, 45, was detained in the case and an autopsy is being conducted, police said.

Police spokesman Nenad Risak said the family had told police in the past that Dominic was living abroad.

Croatian police find body in freezer; could be missing woman

Body of Croatian woman missing for 18 years found in sister's freezer

Smiljana Srnec, 45, who is Dominic’s older sister, was detained in the case. An autopsy of the body is being conducted, police said.

A local media report said that Srnec lived in the house where the body was found with her husband and three children.

The case has shocked Croatia, with many wondering how it was possible that the family had lived for so long with a body hidden in the house.

"They (family) turned us in other directions," Risak said of the initial investigation into Dominic's disappearance. "We checked the house (during the investigation) ... but didn't have information anything could have happened at home."

Risak said the family had told police in the past that Dominic was living abroad.

Croatian police find body in freezer of long-missing woman

:eek:

It is bad enough that the sister (allegedly) did this to her own sister, but to leave the freezer in the house which she shares with her husband and three children all these years, is beyond the pale!

'Frozen woman' murder shocks Croatian village
"According to local media, it was Srnec's son-in-law who found the body and alerted police on Saturday.

"No one in the village can sleep. We are all in the state of shock," said a 62-year-old neighbour who asked to remain anonymous.

The man said he was asked by police to serve as a witness to the search over the weekend.

"For two seconds I saw her crouched in the freezer, arms next to the body," he said, before recalling his memory of the two sisters.

"They were different ... Jasmina was nice, kept a low profile, studied in Zagreb, she was a hard-working kid, while Smiljana ... she was not liked that much, was not good in school," he said.

"It is an enigma," another neighbour piped in, shaking his head in disbelief.

A website that document's missing persons shows a photo of Dominic with a thin face framed by short hair. It says she went missing in August 2000, when her absence was noted both at her university in Zagreb and student job."

"According to local reports, the sisters had been sharing the family house while their parents worked abroad."

"If Smiljana knew about the body all the time, it is really something sick. She was passing by it every day," he added."

Hi, I’m from Croatia.
I was so surprised to find a thread about Jasmina here. It’s a very sad case and my country is pretty much shocked by it. The media is all over it but since the investigation is about to start there aren’t much details released to the public.

Anyway, someone asked how come no one else opened the fridge and found the body before.
According to some sources they allegedly had two freezers in the family home. The one they used regularly and the other where the body was stored. The freezer where the body was stored was situated under the stairs and the lid couldn’t be open completely (because of the stairs). Allegedly Jasmina’s sister urged other family members not to use that freezer.
On the day of the discovery of the body Smiljana (Jasmina’s sister) was out and her son in law (some sources refer to him a boyfriend of Smiljana’s eldest daughter) was doing some work in the house and the freezer was getting in his way so he unplugged it and moved it outside the house.
After moving it he opened it and at first saw only frozen food (allegedly there was meat from year 2002.) He started to take the food out and at one point he saw a foot under the frozen food. He called his wife/girlfriend and told her about what he just found in the freezer and they immediately went to another family member living nearby and told him about everything. After that the police was called.

What’s interesting is that Jasmina was reported missing years after she actually vanished. Because allegedly Smiljana told everyone that Jasmina just left the family home during summer of 2000. to go live abroad. She also pretended that Jasmina contacted her after leaving home (she even went to her neighbors several years ago to borrow some pillows because her sister was visiting her with her boyfriend...that’s the lie she told the neighbors) and that’s what was told to the police by Jasmina’s family after Jasmina’s mother eventually reported her missing in august 2005.
The police was instantly suspicious because there weren’t any clues suggesting that Jasmina ever left the country. So some family members were given a polygraph test.
Allegedly Smiljana’s results were inconclusive and the man who was her boyfriend at that time interrupted the polygraph testing in the middle of it (allegedly he reacted aggressively and left after he was asked about his knowledge of Jasmina’s whereabouts). The police looked inside the house at that time but it’s possible that they didn’t have enough clues to get a search warrant at that point for the family home so it’s possible that it’s the reason why they didn’t thoroughly searched the house (and opened the freezer). The police gave a statement recently explaining they had no indications that something happened in the house so they concentrated more on the outside space while searching for Jasmina.

English is not my mother tongue so please excuse any errors on my part.:)

Hi, I’m from Croatia.
I was so surprised to find a thread about Jasmina here. It’s a very sad case and my country is pretty much shocked by it. The media is all over it but since the investigation is about to start there aren’t much details released to the public.

Anyway, someone asked how come no one else opened the fridge and found the body before.
According to some sources they allegedly had two freezers in the family home. The one they used regularly and the other where the body was stored. The freezer where the body was stored was situated under the stairs and the lid couldn’t be open completely (because of the stairs). Allegedly Jasmina’s sister urged other family members not to use that freezer.
On the day of the discovery of the body Smiljana (Jasmina’s sister) was out and her son in law (some sources refer to him a boyfriend of Smiljana’s eldest daughter) was doing some work in the house and the freezer was getting in his way so he unplugged it and moved it outside the house.
After moving it he opened it and at first saw only frozen food (allegedly there was meat from year 2002.) He started to take the food out and at one point he saw a foot under the frozen food. He called his wife/girlfriend and told her about what he just found in the freezer and they immediately went to another family member living nearby and told him about everything. After that the police was called.

What’s interesting is that Jasmina was reported missing years after she actually vanished. Because allegedly Smiljana told everyone that Jasmina just left the family home during summer of 2000. to go live abroad. She also pretended that Jasmina contacted her after leaving home (she even went to her neighbors several years ago to borrow some pillows because her sister was visiting her with her boyfriend...that’s the lie she told the neighbors) and that’s what was told to the police by Jasmina’s family after Jasmina’s mother eventually reported her missing in august 2005.
The police was instantly suspicious because there weren’t any clues suggesting that Jasmina ever left the country. So some family members were given a polygraph test.
Allegedly Smiljana’s results were inconclusive and the man who was her boyfriend at that time interrupted the polygraph testing in the middle of it (allegedly he reacted aggressively and left after he was asked about his knowledge of Jasmina’s whereabouts). The police looked inside the house at that time but it’s possible that they didn’t have enough clues to get a search warrant at that point for the family home so it’s possible that it’s the reason why they didn’t thoroughly searched the house (and opened the freezer). The police gave a statement recently explaining they had no indications that something happened in the house so they concentrated more on the outside space while searching for Jasmina.

Welcome to Ws. Iseul, delighted to have a poster from Croatia on thread,
no worries- your English is excellent!

Hi, I’m from Croatia.

Thank you so much for posting this helpful information. What a horrible experience for that poor man!

And your English was perfect :)

First of all I want to thank you all for your warm welcome. You’re very kind.:)

I’m going to write a bit about the Dominic family’s background and some more about the whole case.

I will try to maintain some consistency so I might repeat myself or some informations you already know. Sorry about that.:)

As I already said the media in Croatia is all over this case and several articles about it are published on a daily bases since the day Jasmina’s body was discovered.

There were a lot of contradictory and incomplete informations in the media because the police and the state attorney’s office are still holding back (only several very short official statements were released by now).

So most of the things I’m going to write about come from the informations given to the media by neighbors, people from the village in question and unofficial police sources.

Jasmina’s and Smiljana’s father (Martin Dominic also called Fredi) was a pretty good soccer player (he played in the second league of the national soccer team). He was very well liked in the village of Palovec where he moved after marrying his wife (Katarina). People from Palovec described him as a very kind and hardworking man who was always ready to help. Soon after Fredi met Katarina they married and moved into a house near the village’s soccer field. They had two daughters: first Smiljana followed two years later by Jasmina.

Fredi was a carpenter and he worked at the nearby factory (until it went bankrupt) then later on he worked in construction all around Croatia and Slovenia. But he was having a hard time finding a steady job so to stay on top of their finances Katarina eventually had to go to work abroad (in Germany) while Fredi and their two daughters stayed behind in their family home.

Smiljana and Jasmina were very different.

Smiljana is described by her friends and acquaintances as a very talkative and outgoing person (some people even describe her as aggressive). She wasn’t good at school and she never graduated (high school).

In fact she dropped out of high school without her parents knowing about it for quite some time. Smiljana pretended in front of her parents for about a year to attend classes but eventually her lie was discovered and her parents got very angry with her. After that incident Smiljana soon started to work as a waitress in the local café. After Jasmina disappeared Smiljana got pregnant and gave birth to her eldest daughter. According to some sources after getting pregnant Smiljana accused a local man (who had a fiancée at that time) of being the father of her child so the paternity test was made and it proved that the man in question wasn’t the child’s father (the biological father of Smiljana’s first daughter remained unknown). After giving birth Smiljana stayed in the family home with her child.

Jasmina was the polar opposite. She was more calm and quiet and excelled academically. She won the first prize at the state high school biology contest in 1991. She was also good at sports (she was into athletics and handball).

After graduating high school Jasmina went to Zagreb (the capital city) where she attended university and found a job. She was known to be happy, friendly, hardworking, responsible and very much into her studies.

No one really knows when exactly Jasmina disappeared. She was last seen by her uncle at the end of 1999/beginning of 2000. and by a former classmate in the spring of 2000. When eventually Jasmina’s mother reported her missing in 2005. the mentioned date of Jasmina’s disappearance according to her family was september 2000.

The autopsy report determined that the cause of death was a fractured scull. Jasmina was hit in the head with a blunt object at least two times. Soon after she died (before rigor mortis set in) her nude body was wrapped in a plastic plastic sheet and put inside the freezer in the fetal position (her head turned towards the bottom of the freezer and her legs up). Her body was then covered with frozen food.

After Jasmina disappeared stories started to circulate around the village. Allegedly Smiljana convinced her family members that Jasmina left the country. There were stories going around about Jasmina living in France, working on a boat or just leaving with a boyfriend (some anonymous truck driver).

Fredi changed after his younger daughter disappeared, he became depressed and started to drink. He was very close to Jasmina and he thought that her leaving just like that was completely out of character. When he would get drunk he would say that he thinks Smiljana knows something about Jasmina she doesn’t want to tell and that she might’ve done something to her.

Soon his drunk talk came to the knowledge of the local police but when they went to talk to Fredi he said nothing.

So the local authorities had some suspicions of foul play even before Jasmina was officially reported missing.

After Jasmina was reported missing in 2005. the police started to investigate. They talked to Fredi, Smiljana, Katarina, other family members, neighbors and people from the village.

The family members kept telling the police that Jasmina was in Zagreb or abroad.

It seems that Smiljana persuaded them that Jasmina disappeared of her own will.

She even told them that Jasmina was in contact with a friend in Zagreb (which was proven to be false after further investigation).

It’s still not sure who knew what in that family about what really happened to Jasmina. After the discovery of the body Smiljana’s husband claimed he never knew that Jasmina’s body was in the freezer. Who knew exactly what will hopefully be determined after the state attorney’s office would be able to start with their investigation and interrogation of all the witnesses (in 8 days).

Anyway after talking to everyone the police could think of they were still suspicious and pretty sure that Jasmina never left the country so they conducted some polygraph testings.

They had nothing (not a clue or a shred of evidence) and the court refused to issue the search warrant. At that point the police only had the power to inspect the house without conducting a real search of the premises.

I don’t know much about USA legal system but in Croatia there’s a difference between real search (court ordered) and a plain inspection that can be done without a warrant. The difference is that while conducting an inspection the police can only gather informations by looking around and they’re forbidden to open or look inside anything (like for example pockets or dressers or freezers) without legal grounds to do so. So the police inspected the house and since after that they still had no clues to move forward they concentrated more on the outside of the house. But still notning was found.

Later on Smiljana married, had two more daughters (as far as I know they’re in elementary school now) and she kept living with her children, her husband and her father in her childhood home. Her father died in 2013. from lung cancer.

Then in 2015. Smiljana reported to the police that someone attacked her and stole her earrings and the money her mother sent her from Germany to pay some bills. The police eventually discovered that her story was a lie and charged her with false reporting. The police thinks she concocted the whole story because she spent the money her mother sent her on gambling (Smiljana was known to have a gambling habit).

After that incident the police was even more convinced that Smiljana is involved in her sister’s disappearance but they still had no real evidence of foul play so their hands were tied.

Last year (2018.) the police thought they finally had a breakthrough after they got a tip about Jasmina’s body being in the family home’s septic tank. But again they didn’t have enough informations to get a court’s search warrant. Eventually they found a way to legally search the septic tank but they again found nothing.

Smiljana’s eldest daughter got married recently and her husband moved into the family home.

As I already said the freezer was on the ground floor of the house under the stairs. It was so rarely opened that when the eldest daughter’s husband tried to open it he had some difficulties to do it because the rubber part of the freezer’s lid was all melted and like glued to the freezer (so he had to cut it to open to be able to lift the lid off).

Smiljana’s husband is a ceramic tile flooring installation specialist so a while ago he put new tiles in the house but when he wanted to move the freezer where the body was to finish his work Smiljana told him not to touch it so the part of the floor under the freezer stayed as it was before. Because of that fact the body was eventually discovered. The eldest daughter’s boyfriend wanted to put new tiles on that part of the floor so while Smiljana was out with her two younger daughters (she went out to the store with them and brought them later to the catechism lesson) the boyfriend moved the freezer out and discovered the body.

After the body was discovered Smiljana and her husband were taken to the police station. Smiljana’s husband was soon released but Smiljana remained in custody.

Allegedly she admitted to the police in her first informal talk (before she was formally arrested) that she killed Jasmina. Allegedly she told them: “Yes, I killed her. She had everything and I had nothing. She was given everything and I was given nothing”.

She said that she took a piece of wooden lath and stroke her sister on the head with it. She couldn’t remember how many times she hit her.

After she said that the police waited for her lawyer to come for her admission to be valid in court but after the lawyer came Smiljana didn’t want to repeat what she previously said.

The public prosecutor requested the detention to be imposed and the investigating judge accepted the prosecutors request on two legal grounds: justified fears that the accused will obstruct the investigation influencing the witnesses and justified fear that the accused will commit crime again.

Yesterday criminal charges were filed and Smiljana’s detention was extended for a month.

The investigation by the state prosecutor’s office will begin in 7 days.

According to the latest published informations the search of Smiljana’s home and some businesses premises behind the house was made this morning (from 9 to 11 AM local time).

The police was looking for any clues or evidence (the most important evidence being the murder weapon).

The search was made in the presence of Smiljana’s eldest daughter, her son-in-law, her husband and her defense attorney.

Police officers were seen leaving the premises at 11 AM local time holding several evidence bags.

Today one of the Croatian newspapers made public the fact that Jasmina’s father tried to report Jasmina’s disappearance in 2000. but apparently wasn’t taken seriously by the police at that time.

(Few days ago the media reported that police suspected foul play even before Jasmina was officially reported missing but new details keep coming ahead and that information seems to be false.
The police really started to investigate and talk to people only after Jasmina was officially reported missing in 2005.)

According to new informations Fredi talked to a police officer about Jasmina’s sudden disappearance and his worries about her whereabouts in 2000.

Fredi told the police officer that he lives in Palovec in a family home with his two daughters (Smiljana and Jasmina), that Jasmina is studying political science in Zagreb and that she mostly visits home on weekends and holidays. He told that he works as a carpenter in Slovenia and his wife Katarina is on temporary work in Germany.
Fredi informed the police officer that his eldest daughter Smiljana maintains that she’s regularly in touch with Jasmina but that she (Smiljana) also told him that Jasmina went to Paris, found herself a Japanese boyfriend there and eventually went to work on a cruise ship.

The police officer wrote everything down and later on informed his superior about Fredi’s concerns. The superior officer talked about all of it it some more with other colleagues but at the end they concluded that nothing leads them to believe that Jasmina disappeared.

There’s no written trace of Fredi’s visit to the police station in the competent police department.

The fact that a father came to the police station concerned his daughter was possibly missing wasn’t even officially recorded in the police log book.

It turns out 5 years between the first report in 2000. made by Jasmina’s father and the formalized official report in 2005. made by her mother (the exact date is August 16th 2005.) were irreversibly lost which now causes the police department’s officers discomfort about their lack of adequate reaction in that time span.

Pretresli su kuću Dominićevih: Policija iznijela vreće dokaza

Thank you so much for the additional information, Iseul! It makes so much more sense that no one opened the freezer if it was wedged under the stairs.

I feel so badly for their father.

You’re welcome Marigolden.:)

The fridge was not only wedged under the stairs and not opened frequently but according to some sources Smiljana also urged her family not to use it.
Some people now claim that Smiljana spent an unusual amount of time at home so the speculation is that she was maybe reluctant to leave home because she new there was a possibility that some member of her family might find the body if she wasn’t at home.

I feel bad for their father too. He had such a hard time for years and eventually died without ever knowing for sure what happened to Jasmina.

I also feel bad for other family members if they actually didn’t know the whole truth.
A lot of people don’t believe it’s possible that no one in the family (except the person who murdered and put Jasmina’s body in the freezer) knew about the whole story.
So a lot of people in Palovec and in the rest of the country now think that family members knew about it all and decided to keep quiet because they feared Smiljana or because they wanted to protect her.
I think that from now on (no matter what the conclusions of the state attorney’s office would be after the investigation) the whole family is going to be stigmatized by a lot of people and if they really didn’t know anything about the whole story I think it’s a very sad thing for them too.
It’s also very sad for Smiljana’s two underaged daughters.
I cannot even imagine the psychological impact on the children now they realized that they were living for so long in the house with the dead body of their own aunt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back