CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

This website has lots of info on what Connie did up to going missing.

http://s10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t6317.htm

At the bottom it says they are also trying to find other people who were at the camp at the time.

Thank you so much for this, as it rules out a hit and run , drowning, and the thought that she never left the camp as well if they have nine positive witnesses. I believe the wrong person picked her up while she hitch hiked.

I want to thank the persons who have renewed an interest in the Connie Smith case.
I have collected information on her, Little Miss X and Donnis Redman for more than thirty years. They seemed to be tied together insomuch as the remains, found in Northern AZ were linked together because of a letter, sent to the Connecticut State Police from a private person, alerting them to remains found in the pine forest near the Grand Canyon with thoughts they could be Connie Smith.
These remains have never been absolutely identified as Connie Smith, Donnis Redman or anyone because they are missing. About the same time, Donnis Redman and her boyfriend Michael Griffin left California heading east and were last seen in Las Vegas. Michael’s car was found abandon in Williams, AZ. Both Donnis and Michael are listed as missing. It has taken years to get Michael listed as missing and it has just been recently that he has been.

I will try to answer some of the questions presented here as best as I can. Camp Sloan was and is a YMCA camp located in the NW hills of Connecticut and as far as I know no other persons have gone missing from the camp since or even before Connie Smith.

Connie’s mother was visiting her parents in Greenwich, CT. The YMCA camp was chosen, I would think, because of its reputation for a place of summer fun for boys and girls. And yes, the camp was searched by law enforcement, the camp personnel. The police spent months investigating this case and now, even years later, still reviews it from time to time as leads still roll in.

As to why Connie walked away from camp that day, no one may really know why unless someone who attended camp with Connie then comes forth to contact any of the researchers, and until then we can only guess.

Connie Smith's father, Peter Smith, recently passed away at the age of 97. We will still continue to search for clues, information and people who might shed light on this mystery to find closure to this mystery.

And yes, it was a well-known fact that pedophiles worked in summer camps around children. There were no background checks or registry nor any way of knowing who they were and often moved from camp to camp if someone suspected and questions were not asked and I can’t help but wonder just how naïve people were of such behavior in others.
Around the time Connie went missing, a camp worker from another camp was fired because of lewd behavior. He was hired by another camp in adjoining town a few days later. Yes he was questioned about the disappearance of Connie Smith. At the time of her going missing, there had been a couple of other incidents were girls were approached or tried to be enticed to get in a car by two or three men. At least one was reported to LE and investigated. The car was located and the men said they were lost while looking for a lake to go fishing. Was abduction of children prevalent back then? If so who keep records and more importantly this information was not shared between police department, state or local because there was nothing in place for such. And missing children was not a crime but a family matter and they would return home, is forgiven and life goes on. Yet for many families, that was not the case. Life went on without knowing what happen to their child or loved one.

I often read in the statement that describes Connie’s case that she was seen picking flowers while walking from camp. I don't think she stopped to pick flowers, for witness who spoke to Connie that morning, when she was looking for directions to Lakeville, state that she looked like she may have been crying. And if she was angry at her tent mates for an altercation that morning, I wouldn't think she would be was inclined to stop and pick flowers along the way to town. The flower statement may have come from her mother who said that Connie like to pick flowers to make flower necklaces. It was part of a description Mrs. Smith may have used to a reporter when asked to describe what her daughter’s likes and dislikes were. I would not be surprised to learn that Connie Smith was determined to find the sheriff’s office and have whoever it was that caused the altercation to be reported and hopefully put a stop to the bullinging that might have been taking place in her tent.

I too have to think that Connie Smith never made it to AZ, her remains are in a clandestine grave someplace near the last place she was seen. Someone out there knows something, even if it is just a tidbit or small piece. I wish someone would be brave enough to come forth with information. We'd like to have it as you never know where it is going to lead.
Something else that would be helpful is to find the location of the remains of Little Miss X in Flagstaff, AZ so they can be tested for DNA. So far we have not found records to show where she might have been interned. It seems records have gone missing. Perhaps someone out there has records in an attic that could be helpful.

At the begining (acording to press articles) when the remains were found in Arizona they were forwarded to Connies father at his ranch. From there they went to the dentist and it's from here the remains go awol.
Have you or anybody else been in touch with LE at Connies hometown ? If they arn't there it's possible they continued their journey to the next missing person that was reported for examination. They could have been x-rayed by the dentist and the x ray may still be on file at his home/practice.
As somebody upstream said it's inconceiveable that human remains were treated with such disrespect as to be lost/misplaced.

Edited to add...then I found the info in my post below

From LITTLE MISS X, October 31, 1958, Arizona - Page 3 - Cold Case Investigations

BONES FOUND NOT THOSE OF MISSING GIRL

Dallas Morning News
Nov. 25th, 1962

Denver Colo. (AP) The mystery surrounding the disappearance of a Wyoming girl from a Connecticut summer camp 10 years ago defied solution again Sunday.

A dental surgeon, Dr. avid N. Berman, and a pathologist, Dr. George I. Ogura, said an examination of bones found near Arizona's Grand Canyon in 1958 indicated they were not the skeletal remains of Connie Smith, grandaughter of former Wyoming Governor Nels. H. Smith. They said undersheriff Clark Cole of Coconino County, Ariz. concurred in their findings.

Connie vanished from camp in 1952 at the age of 10.

Her father, Peter Smith of Newcastle, Wyo. said he had felt that Connie was a victim of amnesia and would someday turn up alive.

The girl's mother died last December, apparently of a heart attack.

The undersheriff arrived in Denver Saturday from Spearfish, S.D. with the skull of the skeleton found in Arizona, 2,500 miles from the Connecticut camp.

Then to add from another poster.

Would it be safe to say that Little Miss X was established to be
Caucazoid-Mongoloid? Dr. Turner came to that conclusion based upon
the skull which is now mostly missing. Sheriff Guilliland's cold case
group has sent hair and a piece of the skull off for DNA sampling for
comparison with a Native American family who said that a member of
their family went missing in 1958. The member was of the right age.
It will probably take a while for the comparison due to the low priority.

All credits to this forum, excellent work from them IMO
http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=8668&page=5

Edited to add, join the forum and you can see more photos of posters/X-rays and skull reconstruction made by artist etc

Coconino County sheriff's
deputies call "Little Miss
X." ' .
Her skeleton "was found
about-a year after death of
unknown causes about 6 miles
off the road on Skinner
Ridge, 10 miles south of the
Grand Canyon.
Samuel E. Hanschette and
his son, Timothy, then 15, of
Yuma, were hunting Oct. 31,
1958, when they found the
skeleton with hands, feet,
parts of an arm and leg
bones missing.
Wright drew not only a
likeness from the skull but
shaped a clay facial sculpture
around it. Photos and descriptions
of the young girl have
been circulated without success.
She was Mexican, Indian or
Mexican-Caucasian; age, 13
to 17; 5 feet to 5 feet 3; about
110 pounds and with dark
brown hair bleached to light
brown. She carried seven silver-
amalgam fillings in four
teeth, wore a 10-carat gold
medal chain, pedal pushers
or Capri pants, brown plaid
with green and red pattern
bearing the label, "World Famous
Graff California Wear,"
and a white cardigan of
closely-knit wool.Sheriff's deputies may have
gotten nowhere with the "Little
Miss X" case to date, but
at least they've accomplished
something. They have procured
a Barton Wright original.
His works as a professional
artist are much in demand.

Robin Hood, the remains, found outside of Williams, AZ were hand carried and driven by Undersheriff Deputy Cole from Flagstaff, AZ to the Smith Ranch in WY so to meet with Connie Smith's dentist. Her dentist was unable to definitely state the jaw and teeth were Connie Smith. From the Smith Ranch, Deputy Cole drove the remains to Denver for further forensics investigation by three forensic doctors who could not state, positivity, that the remains were in fact Connie Smith. Cole returned with the remains to Flagstaff. The sheriff at the time was defeated in an election and both he and the undersheriff were replaced. What happened to the remains is a mystery. While recent Coconino Sheriff cold case investigators did discover evidence in the Little Miss X case, which is undergoing DNA testing to which a match would end all speculation. But so far, that has yet to be completed.

There have been many confession to the death of Connie Smith, but the Frederick Pope story is a strangest one to be sure. He is actually the one who ties both Little Miss X and Connie Smith together because of his confession, but it is his misinformation in his statement that have AZ law enforcement, who have reviewed his confession the last couple of years wonder if Pope had ever been in AZ at all, let alone picking up Connie Smith in Connecticut and driving around for all that time before his friend killed her. Connie Smith, by reports, was a strong willed kid and I don't see her as sitting quietly in backseat of a car all that time just reading comic books and waiting for these three people to deliver her to WY.

Connie and her mother came East to CT to visit family that summer, and Helen, Connie's mother, did not stay with her parents after Connie went missing but returned to WY and her own ranch where both she and her son ranched until her early death from a heart attack only a couple of years after her daughter went missing.

Connie's father continued to search for his daughter, I think it may have been almost all consuming. His thinking out of the box and some unusual methods kept his search and daughters name in the media for years. Hoping someone would come forward with information.

It is certainly possible that Connie Smith did not get far that day and lay in a clandestine grave nearby that summer camp, but until someone comes forward, or a fellow camp mate shares memories from of those few short weeks of summer camp. This continues to be a mystery.

I am very familiar with that part of Connecticut, and there are still lots and lots of places to hide a body. There are tons of areas -- thousands of acres -- that are wild and lots of hiking trails. Even now there's a very long dirt road that go over the hills to Massachusetts that is impassable when it's been raining or snowing, so it's little-used (probably more than one road like that). It would be very easy to drive a car up one particular road I'm thinking of and stop almost anywhere along it and drag a body a couple hundred yards and bury it without being seen, even on a weekend day in nice weather. If you took a body there in bad weather during the work-week, you could be almost sure you wouldn't run into anyone.

I'm not saying that she was buried off the particular road that I described, but the area is such that there are lots of places to hide someone without being seen.

My sister spent a summer at Camp Sloane, but many years after Connie Smith went missing.

Skigirl, can you give us any info about the landscaping around that camp? Anyone there speak of Connie?

According to my sister, no one ever mentioned Connie Smith when she was there in the 1980s.

I can try to describe the area. The landscape around Salsibury, which is where the camp is located, is farmland and hills. Salisbury is in the foothills of the Berkshires, I believe the range immediately next to town is the Taconic range. They are smallish, old mountains but pretty steep and rugged in places. The terrain is densely wooded and very rocky (shale, I think). You need to have a reasonably good fitness level to get very far on most trails. There are lots of what seem like old abandoned roads (maybe for carriages or logging) that one runs across while hiking, but at least as of the 2000s when I was hiking a lot in that area, you probably wouldn't attempt to drive down too many of them unless you knew the area well for fear of getting stuck someplace.

As you head off the main street in Salisbury, you end up in a completely undeveloped area very quickly. Most people who live there are retirees who made their money elsewhere, people with second homes, artists and writers who can work anywhere, those who are independently wealthy, those who tend to the needs of the first four groups, and some who make a living farming. Population density is very sparse.

Route 44, although a major thoroughfare for those parts, is even now, just a two-lane road in most places. The Appalachian Trail runs very close to town and the town itself has a good little hiking store that caters to the serious outdoors person (that's how popular the area is with hikers nowadays). The town is what might come to mind when you think of "Pepperidge Farm remembers" -- white houses with red doors and black shutters. Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York all come together nearby. In fact, the highest altitude in CT is part way up a mountain that peaks in Massachusetts. Up over one more peak and you are looking at farmland on the New York side of the range.

Back in the 1950s, it would have taken a long time to get to Salisbury from Greenwich, because some of the major highways did not exist. Furthermore, the areas in between were much less developed, so it would have seemed way out there to Connie's mother and grandparents.

I have to confess that I have not been to Sloane itself in many, many years, but I have driven by it many times. I recall the camp was just really an average unremarkable YMCA camp, one of dozens like it in New York and New England. It had bunks or tents on platforms (I think I remember the latter), with a group dining hall.

My memory specifically of the landscape of the area near the camp driveway is pretty fuzzy other than a general impression that it's typical for that area. The area around it is still rolling New England farmland. If I recall, there are cornfields (I could be mistaken about that) near the camp. The road is a two-lane road with a few houses here and there. It's a little way out of town toward Lakeville. Lakeville is a very similar town to Salisbury. It's the home of Hotchkiss School and not much else. Both towns are very pretty.

I want to bring everyone up to date on what I have found out in the last few weeks from the Coconino Sheriff's Cold Case Squad investigator, Joe Sumner.

"Evidence", found in an old case file of Little Miss X, was sent out to a scientific lab to test for DNA. Unfortunately no DNA could be extracted. Which was a real defeat for me, as I thought at least if DNA could have been uploaded into CODIS it might be a match? Maybe one family would finally be able to have closure.

But one of my real disappointments is the fact that we still don't know where the remains of Little Miss X lie. I spent time searching cemetery records only to find out that the Coconino Sheriff's office had done that and more before I got there. I had the opportunity to ask Joe, if he had thought of this or that, had they looked here or there? What about if?
As many questions as I asked Joe, he gave me all the answers and more. Yet still, I keep asking where are her remains? But even more than that, the question remains is there a drawing, map or a grid for the cemetery, and if so where might it be held? And can we find it?

where were they last known to be...most importantly, why are they missing? maybe someone is hiding something

Not a lot of new information but the paragraph about the groundskeeper was a bit new - never read that he was under suspician or that he had moved to CA - the way it is worded, it seemed he moved during the investigation....maybe something else to look at
Creole

http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2008/02/still-missing-after-all-these-years.html

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Still Missing, After All These Years by Robert A. Waters

On the morning of July 16, 1952, 10-year-old Connie Smith walked away from a YMCA camp near Salisbury, Connecticut. Other than two brief sightings later that day, she has never been seen since. Sandy Bausch, a native of the area, has done extensive research on the case. This story is a compilation of her work. If you have more information, please contact her at conniesmithstory@mindspring.com.

It’s been more than fifty-five years since Connie Smith walked away from Camp Sloane near Salisbury, Connecticut. When camp officials discovered she was gone, police began a massive search. Connie wasn’t just any child—she was the granddaughter of Nels Smith, the former governor of Wyoming. With power and money, the Smith family pulled out all the stops to find their missing loved one.

Investigators learned that Connie, who had been at the camp for two weeks, had seen her mother the night before. It was her tenth birthday and Helen Smith and her parents had made the two-hour drive from Greenwich to celebrate.

After they left, it is thought that Connie was involved in a tussle with a camp-mate. She ended up with a bloody nose. The night before, she’d fallen on the tent platform and hurt her hip. She obtained an ice pack from the infirmary, then went to bed. On that morning of July 16, Connie told her tent-mates that she planned to forego eating breakfast because she wanted to return the ice pack. She almost certainly left the camp as the others went to breakfast. At some point that morning, counselors found the discarded ice pack and determined the girl was missing.

The Connecticut State Police took charge of the investigation. Almost immediately, they checked a nearby gypsy encampment. In fact, investigators hid in the forest for several days to see if Connie was being held against her will. Nothing came of that lead. As the days passed, cops drove through forests and fields in an open jeep, hoping to locate the odor of a dead body. They tested scat in the forest, thinking maybe Connie had been eaten by wild animals. After receiving a lead that she had been buried in the earth of a fresh grave, state troopers visited cemeteries and plunged rods through the dirt until they hit caskets. The area is littered with Revolutionary War-era water-filled “ore pits,” and police searched these, again to no avail.

Connie’s father flew in from Wyoming to coordinate the search. Locals still talk of the “Marlboro Man,” a real-live cowboy in New England. In fact, Peter Smith rode horses through the forests, flew in planes that circled the area, and handed out missing person flyers. He was divorced from his former wife, Helen, who lived in Greenwich, Connecticut, but they worked together in the now-desperate search for their daughter.

Investigators determined that Connie had walked down the drive leading away from the camp. She crossed an intersection and continued north before stopping at a farmhouse to ask directions to Salisbury. She then began walking down Highway 44 holding out her thumb. She was less than a half mile from town when she vanished. It is thought that she was abducted while trying to hitch a ride.

Two questions remain. Why did Connie leave camp and what happened to her?

She may have decided to leave because she was homesick. Connie was raised on a large farm in Wyoming. It is said that out west she even camped out at night alone. She rode horses and was used to farm-life. Connie was known as a tom-boy while most of the girls at camp were from New York City-there may have been a cultural divide that drove her to leave. Since camp officials discouraged the use of the phone there, she may have simply decided to go into town where she could use a telephone to call one of her parents.

Could she have been molested by a camp counselor or someone who worked at the camp? Police looked closely at a groundskeeper who stated that he had seen Connie walking down the driveway toward the road as he was driving into camp. He later complained about his health and moved to California. Investigators were suspicious of his move but they found nothing to connect him to the crime.

Over the years, several weird occurrences brought the case back into the media. A few months after Connie vanished, a mysterious “white Indian” appeared in Fort Worth, Texas. She claimed to be an albino Iroquois who had lived on an island somewhere between America and Canada. Nels Smith thought she might be his missing daughter and sent an investigator to check her out. It turned out she was a runaway from Massachusetts.

A few years later, Nels met with a “Gypsy King” in California and asked him if they still kidnapped children. The response was, “Not anymore.”

On another occasion, a convict contacted police and stated that he had murdered Connie. He was taken from his cell in the state penitentiary so that he could show cops where he buried her. He told skeptical cops to dig alongside a certain river. When police began digging, they were astounded to find a human leg bone. It later turned out that the bone was from a victim who had drowned during a hurricane. Just before his execution, the convict told police that he had not murdered the girl but did enjoy the sunshine and the sandwiches he got during his time out of his cell.

In 1958, a young girl’s remains were found near Williams, Arizona. Police, who were never able to identify her, called her “Little Miss X.” Four years later, a letter received by the Connecticut State Police claimed that Little Miss X was Connie Smith. The remains were taken to the Smith ranch in Wyoming and then to Connie’s dentist in South Dakota. A comparison of the Arizona child’s teeth with Connie’s dental records was inconclusive. From there, the remains were taken to Denver where a team of forensics experts attempted to match them to Connie. Again, they were unable to definitively link the two. In 2004, the Connecticut State Police collected DNA from the Smith family, hoping to match the Smith DNA with that from Little Miss X. But, lo and behold, no one could locate the grave of the Arizona girl.

That’s where the case stands. Helen Smith died in 1961, some said of a broken heart. Nels continued a relentless search for Connie until his death. As of this writing, Peter is still alive. After more than half a decade, the mystery remains.

Posted by Robert A. Waters at 3:46 PM

Michael Dooling's Search For Lost Souls

clipped from article: "Nothing was ever found of 10-year-old Connie Smith, who wandered away from YMCA Camp Sloane in Lakeville one day in the summer of 1952. She had had her nose bloodied and glasses broken earlier that day—exactly why was unclear, but it was likely roughhousing session with her bunkmates—and was probably going to call her parents in Wyoming from a phone in town because she was homesick. Camp director Ernest Roberts didn’t report Connie missing for a couple of hours, and Mr. Dooling speculates it was because the camp director didn’t want to bring negative publicity to the camp.

Connie was big for her age, Mr. Dooling reports, and smart, too. Her father, an imposing, tall figure in dungarees and a cowboy hat, flew out from his cattle ranch in Wyoming and chartered his own plane to search for her. A psychic horse from Virginia named Lady Wonder was consulted. Only two years before, Lady Wonder had inexplicably helped find the body of another missing child with a crude typewriter she touched with her hooves to answer questions. But the horse’s clue to search for Connie in Los Angeles came to nothing. The Connecticut State Police—far and away the most competent and high-tech law enforcement agency in the tri-state area at that time—exhausted all its reserves.

All was to no avail. Not even a scrap of clothing has ever been found of her. The case remains open, and Officer Karoline Keith from Litchfield’s Western District Headquarters was on the case when bones were recently found in Great Barrington, Mass. Officer Keith contacted Massachusetts police to check whether they might be a match.

People are far less naïve about the dangers young women face than they once were. Mr. Dooling said there is a “marked difference” between the 1940s and 50s and today concerning how people view missing persons, and the nature of police work has evolved.

“In the 50s when girls disappeared, [it was] assumed they got lost, ran away, had amnesia, were roaming around a distant city, joined a convent or something like that,” Mr. Dooling said. “Rape and murder were the bottom of the list. Nowadays, I think that’s the first thing they think of.”

Mr. Dooling works as the librarian at the Waterbury Republican-American, and he found the digitized archives of that newspaper and the Hartford Courant to be invaluable research tools. He spent much of his time looking for articles and putting pieces together rather than interviewing subjects, but still felt after a while that he knew these unfortunate young women."

http://www.countytimes.com/articles/2010/06/17/life/doc4c1a351871c1e205358322.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Nothing new, but at least still being discussed......Creole

Thinking of you Connie, on this your 70th birthday and your 60th year of having gone missing.

Is there anyone out there with memories of this young girl, was she your camp mate, school pal, or friend that year? Maybe someone will remember that day sixty years ago when Connie woke up in her tent and for some reason decided to walked down the camps dirt driveway and disappear.

Where was she going? It would only be a few days more before Connie would have been picked up by her mother and grandparents and return to their home in Greenwich. What made her strike out on her own that morning in a town and area she knew little about. After all she was from a small western town in Wyoming. Connie was a determined young girl on a mission that morning. What was it and why?

Thanks for bumping this up. I often wonder about Connie and what led to her disappearance.

Someone has to know! Even if you weren't involved in her disappearance, if you knew why she left or where she was going, that could help

I wonder if this UID found in Tennesee could potentially be a match?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1577

Seems awfully far away, but they've tested her against missing people from as far away as New Hampshire. I wish the missing person information available for Connie gave more information about her shoes. This UID was found with high-top type hiking shoes that were lined with red fabric (not clear that they belonged to the UID, but could be). Connie's were leather, but there is no description of them beyond that.

The reconstruction bears a striking resemblance, in my opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back