CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

I'd think any living fellow campers would want to know what happened. On the other hand, it was a different time, especially for girls. They wouldn't necessarily speak up (or be expected to beyond perfunctory questioning), or even have their input given weight. The camp probably didn't want the negative attention...even with 'press' being highly regionalized then, her family's stature would have been more widespread. If the line was "she ran away and will be found soon, safe and sound" it would be hard to backtrack on that.

There is also the possibility that she was killed accidently walking on the road. People weren't texting while driving then, but that doesn't mean they were always keeping their eyes on the road. I think an accident is statically more likely than a truly random abduction...with the caveat that if she was indeed followed from the camp, it wouldn't have been 'random.'

Meanwhile, wasn't there another case in the 70s at this camp? A camper allegedly killed by a handyman who had a van...or am I misremembering?

I'd think any living fellow campers would want to know what happened. On the other hand, it was a different time, especially for girls. They wouldn't necessarily speak up (or be expected to beyond perfunctory questioning), or even have their input given weight. The camp probably didn't want the negative attention...even with 'press' being highly regionalized then, her family's stature would have been more widespread. If the line was "she ran away and will be found soon, safe and sound" it would be hard to backtrack on that.

There is also the possibility that she was killed accidently walking on the road. People weren't texting while driving then, but that doesn't mean they were always keeping their eyes on the road. I think an accident is statically more likely than a truly random abduction...with the caveat that if she was indeed followed from the camp, it wouldn't have been 'random.'

Meanwhile, wasn't there another case in the 70s at this camp? A camper allegedly killed by a handyman who had a van...or am I misremembering?
I think you are misremembering, although "handyman" and "van" rings a bell. Yikes, after googling "murder" and "handyman," I'm more inclined to do my own home repairs.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for Constance "Connie" Christine Smith? I would greatly appreciate it.

Constance Christine Smith​

constance_christine_smith_1.jpg
constance_christine_smith_2.jpg
constance_christine_smith_3.jpg

Connie Smith, age 10 in 1952 has been missing for over 70 years.

LINK:

Regarding the car at the intersection with Belgo Road, does anyone know what direction it was heading?

Kind of unlikely, but Connie Smith looks like this Jane Doe:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The resemblance is striking:
-The unidentified woman was between the ages of 45-60 in 1991 and Connie would have been 49 in that year.
-Both are tall women as the unidentified woman's height was 5'11" and Connie was quite tall at 10 years old with a height of 5'0".

Attachments

• Connie_Smith_01.jpg
    Connie_Smith_01.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • UP2382.jpg
    UP2382.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 20

-The unidentified woman was between the ages of 45-60 in 1991 and Connie would have been 49 in that year.
-Both are tall women as the unidentified woman's height was 5'11" and Connie was quite tall at 10 years old with a height of 5'0".
Remarkable. I'm hoping DNA is available for comparison!

Maybe, but I just don't think Connie could have been kept alive and quiet for nearly 40 years.

That's a striking resemblance. I wonder if they're related even if she wasn't Connie.

That's a striking resemblance. I wonder if they're related even if she wasn't Connie.

Bumping For Connie

71 years ago, Connie Smith of Wyoming, celebrated her tenth birthday with her family and friends at a summer camp in Connecticut.

A few days later, early morning on July 16th, 1952, Connie announces to her mates, she was returning an ice pack to the camp nurse before going to breakfast. She left the tent, and walked, not to the nurse's office but out the camp’s driveway heading toward the town of Lakeville Connecticut on her mission.

The last reported observation was at Belgo Road and Route 44 walking East outside town.

What happened to a ten-year-old girl young girl while walking to town? She vanished. Disappeared, no clues or traces of her have ever been found.

The search was extensive and widespread. Newspapers across the country reported her story. Family begging for her return. Her father’s search left no stone unturned. He spent days on horseback, search planes covered large areas. Thousands of posters with Connie’s photo were circulated countrywide.

Someone, someplace may have heard bits and pieces of this story.

Please, were you or anyone you know at Camp Sloane the summer of 1952? Maybe you heard a story or know the history or events in the surrounding area as handed down from through families as a story or memory. Even the tiniest pieces pulled together might make a difference.

Connie’s brother and family are still searching for answers to what happened to Connie.

Please if you know anything about this story contact us here. We’ve haven't heard everyone's memories. Yours could help bring answers.

Sandy

There seems to be two different stories how the bloody nose happened?

1. rough housing
2. accidently kicked at her bunk

Just my opinion but I cant help but feel someone at the camp knew more than they let on.

@Issa

Connie’s brother Nels and his wife Jeanette were killed in a head-on collision on a Wyoming highway last Friday.

A friend and her husband were driving home from Cheyenne last Friday, and were on the same stretch of Hwy 85 about an hour prior to Nels’ and Jeanette’s accident. She said they had two near misses that day themselves.

I’ve driven and been on that highway many, many times. This accident is very close to home—geographically, and because I’ve known Nels and Jeanette for many years, as well as other members of their family.

Hwy 85 is a fairly heavily-travelled road, but especially so during tourist season. Add in the Labor Day holiday weekend traffic and there’s no room for error on the two lane portions of the highway.

Their deaths are a tragic loss for many.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back