Identified! CT - Granby, Enders Rd , WhtMale 18-30, UP10037, braided goatee, hair in ponytail, multiple scars, T-shirt w/ "FERGUSON", Sep'77 Patrick Andrew Nopper

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
NamUs: **POST MORTEM AT LINK**
DoeNet: 214UMCT

The Doe Network:
Case File 214UMCT
214UMCT.jpg

Reconstruction of VictimUnidentified White Male

• [*]Located on September 4, 1977 in Enders State Park, Granby, Hartford County, Connecticut.
    [*]Cause of death was a fractured skull.
    [*]Date of Death: September 4, 1977

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: Mid 20's (Estimated DOB 1952)
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 140 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes. Hair worn in pony tail. Mole on right ear. Also 4" braided goatee. Two circular scars on right knee. Scar, comma-shaped, on upper left chest. Blood type: B+. Thin build. Evidence found at the scene indicated he had some association with the name "Ferguson".
    [*]Dentals: Dental records and fingerprints available. Some missing and chipped teeth.
    [*]Clothing: Wore medium size, white, knit shirt and medium size yellow corduroy pants.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Granby Police Department
860-844-5335NCIC Number:
Not Entered
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Needless to say, I like the reconstruction on DoeNet better...

He has DNA, dentals, and fingerprints in NamUs! NamUs also gives the age range as 18-30.

Only one ruleout:

Warren Niederfringer 1948 Connecticut

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot, did the artist who did that Namus reconstruction just have to draw the face exactly the way it was found? Creepy.

A picture of Kenneth Beltram would be very helpful here.

Yeah, WOW, that is a creepy "reconstruction!" Why did LE not just release the postmortem photograph itself?? How could it be any worse/more disturbing?

UID had a four-inch long BRAIDED goatee, SOMEONE should remember this man!

I found a newspaper article from 1977 about him, unfortunately you have to pay for it. However, here's what i could get for free:

Dead Man Found in State Park
The Hartford Courant (1923-1991) - Hartford, Conn.
Date: Sep 6, 1977
Start Page: 1A
Pages: 2
Abstract (Document Summary) GRANBY -- An unidentified man was found, apparently beaten to death, Monday morning in the forest at Enders State Park and the body was taken to the University of Connecticut Medical Center in Farmington for...

So, really not much. But if anyone has time and money for it, might as well see what we can find out? http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant...tartpage=1A&desc=Dead+Man+Found+in+State+Park

Another one, located here: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant...=13&desc=Autopsy+Attributes+Death+to+Injuries says: (Sept 7, 1977)

GRANBY -- An autopsy Tuesday showed that an unidentified man found dead in a state forest Monday morning died from head and neck injuries, a spokesman for the state medical examiner's office said.

This is the one where they determine that it's a homicide: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant...artpage=72&desc=Police+Say+Death+was+Homicide

Another from later that month, no abstract http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant...tpage=37D&desc=Granby+Body+Still+Unidentified

And another from November: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant...+Still+Lack+Identity+For+Body+Found+in+Granby

After that,he sort of dropped off for a while. But that's what I've found so far while archive diving. Wish they were free...

attachment.php

Could it be Frank Passafiume? Missing from Brooklyn, NY (135 miles away) since 4/14/76. Had longish shaggy hair and from his name, sounds like he is Italian-American, which could mean he can easily grow facial hair. 28 years old, 5'9", 145 lbs, brown hair + eyes.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19560/

Attachments

• img_34241.jpeg
    img_34241.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 140
I would look for bikers or a wanna be. They braid the facial hair so it doesn't get in the face. In that area and time, possibly a victim of the Pagans MC.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This case I have looked at for a long time and even wrote an article for a nearby paper about it. I have a page specifically dedicated to him where I have information from the Hartford Courant articles. He was found barefoot but I think his shoes and socks were removed after he was killed. Could have been an Italian mafia hit since it was near Springfield and Hartford and at the time were quite powerful. He had names on his shirt as well. http://www.savagewatch.com/whoami.html

attachment.php

Could it be Frank Passafiume? Missing from Brooklyn, NY (135 miles away) since 4/14/76. Had longish shaggy hair and from his name, sounds like he is Italian-American, which could mean he can easily grow facial hair. 28 years old, 5'9", 145 lbs, brown hair + eyes.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19560/

Actually, both Frank and the UP have fingerprint info in the system, according to NamUs, so they'd probably have auto-matched if they were a fit...

Okay, so since my old post I got a Newspapers.com subscription that includes access to the Courant.

I found the 08 September 1977 Courant which has an article about him, and learned something new about his clothing.

"The victim was wearing a white printed shirt with store front scenes including a barbershop with the name "Lewis" on its sign and a pair of gold corduroy jeans."

The closest I can find to that description of his shirt is on NamUs -- "white long sleeved button down shirt with patterns of rust and green buildings blue rectangular structures, brown motorvehicles, and people dressed in various styles " That brings up the fact that the reason he's associated with the name Ferguson is he was found with "A white T shirt with "FERGUSON" printed on it".

Other interesting things from this article (posted on a Thursday):

"Police said the victim was discovered Monday morning by a motorist who went to the park to pick walnuts.
Tuesday Police Chief Donald Algren said he believes the victim was killed where the body was found, and thus discounted an earlier theory that the man might have been slain elsewhere and left face down in the forest".

The 6 Sept. article said that the police department "received a phone call at 10:09 am" from the person who wanted to pick walnuts.

"He also said that there were "markings" around the man's neck and head.
He termed the death "untimely".
Dr. William Dwyer, assistant medical examiner, said on leaving the scene that the body bore head injuries. He said the man had been dead within 24 hours of the time the body was found.
Algren said the body was covered with blood but declined to say whether there had been evidence of a struggle. He also did not say whether any possible weapon was found."

That article also included a photo, weirdly on a separate page from either actual substantial article. Picture is kind of crap, but here you go:

attachment.php

September 13, an article "Algren said he has not ruled out the possibility the victim lived in Connecticut, but said the main "probably came from elsewhere".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 6.10.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 6.10.10 PM.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 102
Enders Road in Granby was a dinky dirt road off of rt219. Maybe still is. It is pretty rural and out of the way, but even more so in the 1970s. That road is probably familiar only to locals or outdoor types and would be a good spot to do a dirty deed quickly and privately. Reasonable chance some local people know something. It is likely that this man was not from the area. No shoes might simply mean the person or people who beat this man to death stole his shoes if they were any good and maybe any money or ID since it wasn't mentioned he had any on him. Pulling them off quickly might not have been hard. That is fairly violent, callous and low way to kill and deal with someone, so I wouldn't be surprised on that alone law enforcement would have some relatively local suspects with criminal records. As now, drugs were prevalent in that rural area, but back then people would grow stashes of pot in those woods, on state land too. There were some violent motorcycle gangs with members all over CT then too. Granby is rich suburbs now, so it is nice and safe, but less so much back then. With some publicity and renewed effort, this case might be solved. 42 years later someone might be ready to say something.

With DNA available and a fresh body, I'm surprised they haven't been able to ID this man with all the public DNA and genology sites and other technologies. The corpse was in good condition. Some one could come up with a much better facial reconstruction using current technology and talent. It would be great if law enforcement provided more information on the garments, such as good images, the people could work with and follow up on. What do the shirts and clothes really look like, or any product numbers associated with them? Information that would help third parties ID the man, but not compromise the case.

Enders Road in Granby was a dinky dirt road off of rt219. Maybe still is. It is pretty rural and out of the way, but even more so in the 1970s. That road is probably familiar only to locals or outdoor types and would be a good spot to do a dirty deed quickly and privately. Reasonable chance some local people know something. It is likely that this man was not from the area. No shoes might simply mean the person or people who beat this man to death stole his shoes if they were any good and maybe any money or ID since it wasn't mentioned he had any on him. Pulling them off quickly might not have been hard. That is fairly violent, callous and low way to kill and deal with someone, so I wouldn't be surprised on that alone law enforcement would have some relatively local suspects with criminal records. As now, drugs were prevalent in that rural area, but back then people would grow stashes of pot in those woods, on state land too. There were some violent motorcycle gangs with members all over CT then too. Granby is rich suburbs now, so it is nice and safe, but less so much back then. With some publicity and renewed effort, this case might be solved. 42 years later someone might be ready to say something.

With DNA available and a fresh body, I'm surprised they haven't been able to ID this man with all the public DNA and genology sites and other technologies. The corpse was in good condition. Some one could come up with a much better facial reconstruction using current technology and talent. It would be great if law enforcement provided more information on the garments, such as good images, the people could work with and follow up on. What do the shirts and clothes really look like, or any product numbers associated with them? Information that would help third parties ID the man, but not compromise the case.

I drive along 219 at least once a month, literally driving through the state park he was found in. I usually do it at night, though, so I’ve never been able to go over and look, nor have I thought to stop by the police station and ask them about it.

With DNA available and a fresh body, I'm surprised they haven't been able to ID this man with all the public DNA and genealogy sites and other technologies. The corpse was in good condition. Someone could come up with a much better facial reconstruction using current technology and talent. It would be great if law enforcement provided more information on the garments, such as good images, the people could work with and follow up on. What do the shirts and clothes really look like, or any product numbers associated with them? Information that would help third parties ID the man, but not compromise the case.[/QUOTE]

I have a bit of free time this week-might work on a, uh, more flattering recon. Right now it looks like a photocopy of a PM.

I don't live in the area anymore. I remember Bradley was a dinky little airport and I-91 was only two lane each bound during the 1970s. Granby was smaller and probably only had half a dozen cops.

A wonder if the Hartford Courant would be willing to run a follow up story, noting the DNA, new technologies and if you could come up with a better recon. After 42 years, it may be of interest to the Courant and to the people who have moved into that and surrounding areas. After all this time, the perp may not be alive, and if so, he or she is likely a senior citizen. Others who might know something are also likely old and may be willing to talk if it is publicized. I doubt this case has gotten any attention over the years. Because it is in State park state police have lead, so that adds another twist.

Another Courant article might also induce the police to release more information at least to just identify the man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back