CT CT - Janice Pockett, 7, Tolland, 26 July 1973

It’s not that she believes her sister, Janice Pockett, who disappeared at 7½ years old on July 26, 1973, is still alive. But Engelbrecht, two years younger than Janice, does hope her sister’s remains will be found so she can give her a decent burial.

“I don’t feel as though I’ve ever really felt she was still alive,” she said. “I’ve never had that kind of feeling. I don’t think she is. Of course, I could be wrong. You never know what can happen, but just my gut is no, she isn’t.”

Still, she put her DNA on ancestry.com just in case someone responded. No one has.

“In my sister’s case, we don’t have any DNA. We don’t have a body. We don’t have DNA. Nothing really,” Engelbrecht said.

“In meeting with the police so many times and just knowing what my parents believed and everything, there’s always that slight amount of hope, but I don’t hold on to that,” she said.

“I’m more where I just would like to find her and bring her home for a proper burial and that’s my number one hope at this point,” she said.

Engelbrecht is planning a 50th anniversary memorial this summer at Janice’s bench at the Cross Farms Recreation Complex in Tolland, but hasn’t firmed up a date yet.

“It’s actually literally very close to where she was last, where her bike was found, where she disappeared from, literally right around the corner from that location,” Engelbrecht, 56, of Manchester, said.

“A lot of it I remember as clear as yesterday,” Pockett’s sister Mary Engelbrecht said in an interview.

“My mom normally would’ve never let her go by herself,” said Engelbrecht, who was 6 years old when her sister disappeared. “I always think, if we didn’t have that fight, mom probably wouldn’t have said, ‘go ahead,’ but I just remember my mom saying, ‘go really quick and come right back.’ Unfortunately, she never made it back.”

“I don’t think I really understood what was going on,” Engelbrecht said. “I kind of thought, ‘well, she’ll be home.’”

From what she remembers and was told by her parents, Engelbrecht said police immediately took her sister’s disappearance seriously, but initially thought she was simply lost in the woods.

“I don’t think they ever thought anything other than that at the very beginning,” she said, noting that hundreds of volunteers joined police to search the area before law enforcement switched their approach.

“Of course, they didn’t secure the scene like they would these days if something like this happened,” Engelbrecht said. “If there was any evidence of any kind, I’m sure it got trampled by all the people that were on the scene” looking for her sister.

poor murdered children... and how many more there are out there unresolved... sometimes I feel that the police are overwhelmed with so many cases that they let go of details to be able to continue with others in any case I don't think they can cope with all of them... sometimes The parents themselves find clues to find out what happened to their children... but worst of all, they never have a case closure... they die and leave with that fear, that anguish of never knowing...
rest in peace

A memorial is scheduled for Saturday to mark the 50th anniversary of the disappearance of Janice Pockett, a 7-year-old Tolland resident who was never found, and to bring attention to other unsolved crimes.

The remembrance will be held at Cross Farms Recreation Complex on Rhodes Road between from 2 to 4 p.m.

In July 1973, Pockett pedaled away from her Anthony Road home in Tolland to retrieve a dead butterfly she hid under a rock days earlier.
1689884909883.jpeg
A short time later, her mother and younger sister found Pockett's bike on Rhodes Road near a wooded area less than a mile from their home. Other than the bike, no other evidence or DNA was recovered from the scene.

Police initially thought the little girl was simply lost in the woods, but later a massive search effort launched with hundreds of volunteers scouring the woods for Pockett.

"I hope to honor her of course, but I'm really looking to bring attention to cold cases in general — other missing people, other victims of unsolved homicide," Pockett's sister, Mary Engelbrecht, said Thursday. "I just want people to remember that these cold cases are still out there and they really can be solved with the right resources."

Pockett is one of three young girls who went missing from the area in a span of eight years.

In the afternoon, police say Janice left her home by bike.

During the search, police found her bike on Rhodes Road.

It was close to a wooded area but that’s all that was found.

The family says during the memorial they will also shine a light on other cold cases like Janice’s.

The memorial will be held at cross Farms Recreation complex at 167 Rhodes Road in Tolland.

Connecticut state police will also be in attendance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back