CT - Kent Mawhinney, 54, South Windsor, 21 Jan 2019 *Arrest*

March 3, 2024

Fotis Dulos' friend, Kent Mawhinney has also been charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

He was the final person charged in the case.

Police say Mawhinney was at Fotis Dulos' home the morning of Jennifer's disappearance to provide a fake alibi for him.

Mawhinney has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting a trial date.
News 12 Connecticut's Tom Krosnowski spoke with Mark Sherman, a defense attorney who has represented clients with similar co-conspirator charges, on how the Troconis verdict could impact Mawhinney's pending trial.

Sherman says the first thing he would do in a situation like this is speak to the jurors.

"It's a dress rehearsal for my case. It's a great insight into what the jurors were thinking about the evidence, and it allowed me and my client to resolve the case much more favorably. I just think the time might be ripe to make a deal. And that trial might be somewhere in the near future because all the witnesses are prepped and ready, and they basically have a template to prosecute the attorney," says Sherman.

Great summary.

I was thinking about how much we do know after 10 weeks or so and its incredible. But what I also think is amazing is that it wasn't done with any LE press conference but rather was just plain old sleuthing. Pretty incredible I think and we were lucky to have some good investigative journalists too. So many missing cases and even murder cases don't have press pushing hard for answers but we had some solid assistance here too IMO.

What is rough about this KM situation is that if convicted he will serve time and most likely lose his license to practice. He is the primary support for a number of children and ex wifes/STBX and the burden this situation puts on them is horrible and tragic.

I agree that MT better get her act in gear but its just not seeming like this is what is happening. Bowman is fighting in civil court hard and aggressively to keep her out of the discussion of FORE finances. She is directly involved on the fishy loan and as that involved a financial institution and potential fraud she is clearly exposed there as well. At this point IMO I'm not sure that the State needs MT for much as it doesn't appear there is a body to be found. So, my vote is to simply toss her into the swamp she came from and let the legal system do its job on here on ALL the crimes she might have been involved in.
Interesting to read this and the whole thread so far, now that MT has been convicted on all charges. Now waiting for her sentencing, and for KM’s turn.
moo

Continuing saga of KM timeline:
3/29: KM phone pings at Windsor Rod and Gun Club

4/15: KMs wife calls police about a man with a gas can and crow bar trying to break into her home

5/18: Club members stumble upon human grave with bags of lime and spoil it

5/19: Fotis meets with Mawhinney’s ex

5/20: Fotis calls Mawhinney’s ex to try to arrange a meeting between her and Kent

5/21: Fotis calls Mawhinney’s ex again to try to arrange the meeting, but the ex says her lawyers advised her not to

5/22: A member checks out the grave again and sees that it is half full of water, and the bags of lime were removed

5/23: KM phone pings tower that services FDs house at 5:23 PM

5/24: JF murder

5/24: Fotis calls KM during Albany Ave stops (7:49 PM)

5/31: FD and MT are notified at the BBQ of trash being found

5/31: Kent Mawhinney’s phone pings at the gun club at 11:04 PM

6/2: The human grave was filled in “neat as a pin”

Note: Need to check on stop and shop and murder eve FD meet up

Continuing saga of KM tireline:

3/29: KM phone pings at

5/22: A member checks out the grave again and sees that it is half full of water, and the bags of lime were removed

5/23: KM phone pings tower that services FDs house at 5:23 PM

5/24: JF murder

5/24: Fotis calls KM during Albany Ave stops (7:49 PM)

5/31: FD and MT are notified at the BBQ of trash being found

5/31: Kent Mawhinney’s phone pings at the gun club at 11:04 PM

6/2: The human grave was filled in “neat as a pin”

Who was checking on the grave, and why were they checking on the grave between 5/18 and when the lime wa
5/23 KM's phone pings tower by 4 JC

Why????

That is significant!

Where did these cretins meat up? Why not at the meat shop? Was there phone and vehicle walnut-shelling?

Were they positioning the Suburban, KM gave FD a partial ride back to 4 JC, with FD running the last stretch?

This would be a Benny Hill skit except there's nothing funny about this.

Start with a dinner party. Where two extras show up because the man forgot to tell the woman he'd invited the spares.

Sprung it on the woman that there's no restaurant. She has an hour to pull a meal together.

Man keeps leaving. Out one door, back in another. Leaves by car, returns by foot. French fries get fried.

It's bizarre to think that four adults, gifted with hindsight, weren't of one accord -- hosts acting very weird, plus peculiar jubilee considered a stall in legal progress and a glaring crime just after.

Can't help but to wonder if FD didn't take a little sumpin-sumpin to help him stay focused and awake for a solid 36 hours.

Last edited:
Quotes from statement made to Fox61:

"Another suspect in the case of Jennifer Dulos' disappearance, Kent Mawhinney, has released a statement in response to the guilty verdict in the Michelle Troconis trial.
Troconis was found guilty Friday on all six charges against her, including conspiracy to commit murder.

The entire statement, obtained by FOX61 Saturday through Mawhinney's attorney, Jeffrey Kestenband, reads:

"The senseless murder of Jennifer Farber was a horrific crime. We hope the verdict in the Troconis case provides a measure of relief for Ms. Farber’s family and friends. That verdict has nothing to do with Kent Mawhinney, however. His name was barely mentioned over six weeks of trial, and for good reason – he was not involved in the death of Jennifer Dulos."

"Mawhinney is also facing conspiracy to commit murder charges in connection to the disappearance of Jennifer, a New Canaan mom of five. He has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.
Mawhinney was a civil lawyer and friend of Fotis Dulos, Jennifer's estranged husband and Troconis' one-time boyfriend.
He was also mentioned throughout the Troconis trial, including in testimony about police interviews investigators conducted with Troconis.

In Mawhinney’s warrant from his 2020 arrest, his name appeared in both Troconis’ and Fotis’ alibis for the morning Jennifer was reported missing.
Mawhinney was interviewed twice by police after. First, officials said he claimed there was no meeting scheduled between Fotis and himself on the morning of Jennifer’s disappearance.

VERDICT: Michelle Troconis found guilty in connection to disappearance of Jennifer Dulos

In his second interview, he reportedly stated that there was a pre-arranged meeting with Fotis, stating he arrived at Fotis’ Jefferson Crossing home just before 8 a.m., where he stood for almost an hour before leaving without seeing Dulos.
The warrant said phone records showed Mawhinney had called Fotis the night of May 24, when Fotis was allegedly dumping bloody bags of evidence in Hartford, but Mawhinney denied any phone contact with Fotis that day.

RELATED: Who is Michelle Troconis, the woman convicted of murder conspiracy, coverup, in 2019 disappearance of Jennifer Dulos?

Mawhinney had been arrested before. He is facing an allegation of sexual assault and was charged with violating a protective order, filed by his estranged wife. She also stated that she believed that Mawhinney was trying to kill her.
The Windsor Rod and Gun Club in East Granby was also mentioned in Mawhinney's arrest warrant. Two members were reportedly hunting on the land when they came across a large hole in the ground that appeared to be hidden. One of the members described the hole as “100% a human grave,” stating that inside the hole was a bag of lime and a tarp.

Last, First: MAWHINNEY KENTRepresented By: 007660 BUTLER NORRIS & GOLD
Birth Year: 1965Times on the Docket: 27
Docket Information
Docket No:FST -CR20-0241179-TArresting Agency:CSP TROOP G
Companion:
Program:Arrest Date:1/7/2020
Court:Stamford JDBond Amount:$246,000 (This case only)
Bond Type:Multiple Bonds
Miscellaneous:(Released From Custody)
Activity:On the Trial List, To Be ScheduledTrial List Date:
5/15/2023 9:00 AM​
Current Charges
StatuteDescriptionClassTypeOccOffense DatePleaVerdict Finding
53a-54aCONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MURDER
B​
Felony​
1​
5/24/2019Not Guilty

Thank @LosAngeles !

So - this is his trial date? Or a hearing - to set trial date?

Activity:On the Trial List, To Be ScheduledTrial List Date:5/15/2023 9:00 AM
My understanding is it's still on the "wait list" to actually schedule a trial date. I thought once MT's trial was over, KM's would swiftly move to the front of the line, but I guess I'm wrong. Not sure what is taking so long, but thinking they have an overload of cases to be tried and he's pretty low risk by comparison.

Kent Mawhinney releases statement after Troconis verdict
(news video at above link)
The statement came via his lawyer. He expressed sympathy for Jennifer's family in light of the horrible crime. It also says his name was rarely mentioned in the Troconis trial and the reason was that he was not involved in the crime.
I think his name was rarely mentioned because MT knew that KM knew how involved she was and he’d roast her if she even uttered his name.

KM’s behavior is already suspect, with him being a planned alibi for Fotis with the meeting at 4JC, entire human grave with lime at the gun club he borrowed a key to enter, his phone pings there and 4JC, then his stupid excuse that he fell down the stairs and broke his cell phone and that’s why it’s missing…..

The police chase to arrest him etc. Not to mention his sexual assaults against his ex wife.

Heaps of circumstantial evidence already! I think they have a lot more surveillance on him too that we haven’t seen yet.

I do think he was the one whom disposed of her body during the extra time in New Canaan. After all, his original role was to help bury her in the grave.

Can’t wait for this one!

Moo

My understanding is it's still on the "wait list" to actually schedule a trial date. I thought once MT's trial was over, KM's would swiftly move to the front of the line, but I guess I'm wrong. Not sure what is taking so long, but thinking they have an overload of cases to be tried and he's pretty low risk by comparison.

Thanks for the reply. I shall go ahead & put him on my 5/15/24 notes as a hearing. :)

edited to add - And I will check in - about the mid-or end of April!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back