CT - Michael Skakel & the murder of Martha Moxley, Greenwich, 1975 *Not Guilty*

If true, this will be a problem for the prosecution. Withholding evidence from the defense is serious, especially if the defendant is found guilty and is incarcerated.

The problem might arise if LE didn't include exculpatory evidence or information with discovery. Not saying he's innocent, but LE didn't always follow the rules back then.

Reportedly, Skakel's conviction was vacated in 2018 by by the Connecticut Supreme Court, which ruled that HIS ATTORNEY (not the prosecution) had deprived him of a fair trial by failing to identify an alibi witness. Of course, the prosecution withholding evidence is serious and can be grounds for a new trial but that did not happen here.

The irony of the allegation by Skakel is that according to the plaintiff, a "more likely suspect" included his brother Tommy, which would still mean prosecuting and convicting another "Kennedy Cousin!"

Also, Skakel previously filed suits in April and November 2023. In the April suit, Skakel alleges a portion of an audio tape was illegally played during the prosecutors closing argument-- where the audio tape was recorded between Skakel and his contracted writer, Richard Hoffman, before Skakel was ever charged (2020).

As far and I know, Richard Hoffman wasn't Skakel's lawyer but a writer he hired to tell his side of the story, and the information he shared wasn't privileged communication. Also, it's long understood that opening and closing statements are not evidence.

In the lawsuit filed in November, Skakel is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, (i.e., a cash grab), citing acts and omissions made “maliciously, intentionally and willfully.

Here, Skakel further claims authorities had “defense favorable” evidence before the trial, including a sketch that did not resemble Skakel, but “strongly resembled” another suspect, as well as psychological reports of the other prospective suspects who produced failed and inconclusive lie detector results, and statements from witnesses who claimed two other men were near the killing scene on the night of her death.

To be clear, I've not read the civil suits filed in April, November 2023, or the latest revised suit. However, I've been here before and IMO, I believe this is nothing more than Skakel taking the seat of a plaintiff, and hoping to use a civil proceeding, with different standards of proof, where as his attorney (Seeger) stated, "The civil complaint is being called upon to right an injustice that took Michael’s freedom and family away from him unjustly.”

In other words, throw everything and anything against the wall, and see what sticks. MOO

Bet his trust fund has proved to be insufficient to support the lifestyle to which he's become accustomed. Awful guy. He deserved the 11 years, and more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back