Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Yeah, Googling Carmichael+DeFreitas turns up a lot of newspaper articles about this case. One of the most interesting involves differences between Rainello's testimony and Gardner's, the two key prosecution witnesses. They both testify that it was DeFreitas and Brant who murdered Carmichael and the mystery woman, but the key differences are 1) DeFreitas' common-law wife, Rainello, who had left a husband and kids (according to Carmichael's testimony) to be with him claimed that Carmichael and the mystery woman were directed to the DeFreitas' A-frame by Gardner, which Gardner denied; 2) Gardner claimed that the story he heard was that DeFreitas shot Carmichael (who had been lured there from their new lodgings by Rainello, and was said by at least one witness to have been putting down a box), then Brant put the same gun to the head of the mystery woman and squeezed, but it was empty; whereupon Carmichael held her while Brant reloaded and shot her); 3) according to Gardner, Rainello had helped clean up the blood at the A-frame, which detail was noticeably absent from her testimony.

As noted above, the mystery woman signed her death warrant when she told Rainello that she was nervous about living under an assumed identity, and didn't know what she'd tell police if caught, which Rainello passed along to Carmichael, and Carmichael told Brant. It was then, according to Gardner that they decided to whack her, because of the possibility of her spilling, especially in view of their recent bank job. Why Brant and DeFreitas would have had to summon Gardner from Rhode Island to help them with their 'problem' is unclear, but he testified that he'd helped carry the bodies across the stream out back and conveyed them by sled to the site in the woods where he helped bury them, about 4 feet down, to be unearthed by bulldozer during a search several years later when Rainello squealed. According to Gardner, they would have been buried deeper, but the ground was hard at that time of year. Rainello seems to have turned state's witness when questioned about a DeFreitas robbery, after he'd left her for another woman.

Gardner stipulated that the .38 with which the two were shot belonged to him, one of several guns he kept on the DeFreitas' premises (they were living there under the name Emerson). According to Gardner, Carmichael had suggested an arrangement in which Gardner, Carmichael and Brant would be partners, and share out the loot whenever one of them scored. Gardner testified that after he'd helped dispose of the bodies, he got a large slice of the loot from the December 28th robbery.

DeFreitas and Rainello, before moving into the A-frame where Carmichael and the girl had lived, had lived across the hall from a the couple whose names Carmichael and the mystery woman assumed. At that time, they babysat for the couple's children, and that gave DeFreitas the chance to pinch the mother's SS card and other identity papers that were used by their very short-term guests to open the bank account and rent their property.

At trial, Brant chose not to testify, but DeFreitas did. According to DeFreitas, it was actually Gardner and another man--a particularly feared criminal who had been murdered before the trial, named John Robichaud--who had killed Carmichael and the woman. Unfortunately for Brant and DeFreitas, one of their lawyers opened the door to permitting Gardner's hearsay testimony during cross examination of one of the prosecution witnesses. At the same time, several snitches testifying on behalf of DeFreitas and Brant weren't permitted to testify in front of the jury, their testimony being nixed as hearsay by the judge. DeFreitas and Brant both requested the judge declare a mistrial. Specifically, they said that Mr. Satti, the prosecutor, had presented many suppositions as accusations, and although they'd been objected and the judge had upheld the objections and advised the jury to disregard the remarks, the jury had already heard them, and these statements were prejudicial. They also argued that they'd received ineffective counsel.

DeFreitas was said to have given the sled away to the child of neighbors who were friendly with him and Rainello at this time.

DeFreitas stated that, contrary to Rainello's testimony, she had feared this Robichaud fellow particularly, because Carmichael was a friend, and that plus his having thrown her over were the dual motivations for her pinning the blame on him and Brant. He argued, too, that Gardner perjured himself to get his sentence lightened and easier prison accommodations. It's a pretty plausible story, in some ways, but at trial DeFreitas also claimed never to have met Carmichael and the mystery woman. Another woman testified that Brant had thrown a New Year's Eve party at his place on the supposed date of the murder, December 31, 1970, and that she'd been with him all day preparing for it. They were convicted nevertheless, and their appeals, which eventually travelled all the way to CT Supreme Court, were denied.

Brant escaped from prison in St. Albans, VT, where he was being held pending testimony in an appeal in June of 1977, and died in a high-speed chase and shootout with Burlington, VT police. Given the sums realized in various robberies by various parties testified to at the trial, you'd have to say that these were pretty outstandingly successful thieves. I bet the Coen Bros could make a pretty great movie of all this.

Apart from the identity of the mystery woman, one of the biggest mysteries here is still the question of how she and Carmichael got steered to DeFreitas and Rainello in the first place. Answering that question might help answer some of the others.

Many thanks for providing that link for me, fivefelines! That particular article states a call was made to Kentucky or Tennessee several days before she died. I didn't recognize any KY area codes on the phone bill but, interestingly, in another article I read Defreitas once resided in KY.

I thought I'd share this link as it mentions that Gardner was working with the New England Organized Crime Task Force and had testified in 5 other cases.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...s-ggAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BG4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3198,540923

I would love to know how our UID met Carmichael. He actually lived not too far from from me in Boston before he was caught. So... Did she meet him in MA? In CT when he was on the run? Before that? Their relationship was serious enough that Defreitas thought he "loved" her.

I would think she knew him before he escaped in October of 1970. I am sure there would be no way to get a list of the people who visited him before he escaped. One of the newspapers said she was his girlfriend from New York. The following article has Carmichael's mother name listed as a witness to the fact that the victim is her son.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...e0gAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AXIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3442,4299365.

I wonder if the UID helped scout out the bank that Carmichael robbed just before showing up in Connecticut. She was living/staying in NJ in the Hightstown area and the bank that was robbed was around 15 miles away, in Trenton.

Here are a few tidbits I've found by searching newspaper archives that I don't remember hearing before.

Our UID went by at least two nicknames according to people who knew her before her death: Connie and Sandy in addition to the stolen ID Lorraine Stahl. (from The Day, July 16, 1976, p. 9).

The same article mentions that authorities had a tantalizing clue that she had placed a call to TN or Kentucky a few days before her death. Someone had to have told them that. If they had gotten that information from a phone bill, they wouldn't be wondering which state. Maybe it was someone whose phone she used and several years after the fact this person couldn't remember which state it was?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...usgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1823,2619110

Second, James Gardner, accomplice to the murder, gave his wife some of the UID's clothes. Her name was Hilda Iemma and she kept the clothes in Rhode Island until they were seized by detectives in 1974. This information was from an article in The Day, July 1, 1976.

Since regional accents were generally so much more pronounced 40 years ago and since one wouldn't often encounter a West VA/Kentucky/TN accent in Connecticut, I wonder if she really was from one of those states or if she had a regional accent (i.e., CT, Boston, NY, NJ, RI) that sounded much more familiar to people in the Northeast. Otherwise, wouldn't someone have remarked on it? I guess it's possible that she purposely shed an accent if she was hoping to become a performer.

Here are a few tidbits I've found by searching newspaper archives that I don't remember hearing before.

Our UID went by at least two nicknames according to people who knew her before her death: Connie and Sandy in addition to the stolen ID Lorraine Stahl. (from The Day, July 16, 1976, p. 9).

The same article mentions that authorities had a tantalizing clue that she had placed a call to TN or Kentucky a few days before her death. Someone had to have told them that. If they had gotten that information from a phone bill, they wouldn't be wondering which state. Maybe it was someone whose phone she used and several years after the fact this person couldn't remember which state it was?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...usgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1823,2619110

Second, James Gardner, accomplice to the murder, gave his wife some of the UID's clothes. Her name was Hilda Iemma and she kept the clothes in Rhode Island until they were seized by detectives in 1974. This information was from an article in The Day, July 1, 1976.

Since regional accents were generally so much more pronounced 40 years ago and since one wouldn't often encounter a West VA/Kentucky/TN accent in Connecticut, I wonder if she really was from one of those states or if she had a regional accent (i.e., CT, Boston, NY, NJ, RI) that sounded much more familiar to people in the Northeast. Otherwise, wouldn't someone have remarked on it? I guess it's possible that she purposely shed an accent if she was hoping to become a performer.

I can't find the newspaper text, but I'm under the impression that the 'wet look' vest and the granny boots actually were recovered from Iemma, and represented as having been worn by the mystery woman at the time she was shot. That explains why they're in such good condition, which they would not be, if they'd been buried for 3+ years in a swamp.

I can't find the newspaper text, but I'm under the impression that the 'wet look' vest and the granny boots actually were recovered from Iemma, and represented as having been worn by the mystery woman at the time she was shot. That explains why they're in such good condition, which they would not be, if they'd been buried for 3+ years in a swamp.

I'll try to find the link to the article that mentions Iemma's possession of UID's clothes. I had so many windows open at the same time that my computer crashed. Fortunately I had jotted down where I read it. The article didn't mention which clothes were seized, but I agree that the ones in the photos don't look like they could have been buried in a swamp for 4 years. I wonder if Iemma had the rollers, too. The article doesn't say.

Would Cathy Moulton, missing from Portland, Maine in Sept 24, 1971, be a good match? There were sightings of her working with unknown males in a potato field, and there was also a hunter months later who stumbled across remains in woods. He tried to lead police back to them, but kept getting lost. Police believe the remains he found were most likely Cathy's, but she remained unrecovered.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/moulton_cathy.html

Re the 1917:
I just looked at my own HS ring, and it has the date the school was founded on the front, not the year of my grad.

On my own ring, the grad yr is engraved on the inside, but everybody at my hs had the same ring (not like now where there are a zillion choices) with the school's crest and the date of the founding of the school.

Might be helpful in not getting "hung up" on the date...or, could just as easily be the date for her mother/grandmother/other older relative...not necessarily her.

My Grandmother graduated high school at age 16 and went to the "State Normal School" for her teacher education in 1920. She had a full classroom of 28 children under her sole direction when she was 18 years old - grades 1-8.

Could this be a classring honoring a teaching certificate? Of course, only single women could teach and once they married - they typically stayed home and raised their own children.

Here is a link to one of the "Normal Schools" in 1917. Although this school's initials don't match - just thought I might spark something to follow. Maybe this was a family heirloom - daughter or granddaughter of a teacher perhaps?

http://www.radford.edu/content/radfordcore/home/about/history.html

Would Cathy Moulton, missing from Portland, Maine in Sept 24, 1971, be a good match? There were sightings of her working with unknown males in a potato field, and there was also a hunter months later who stumbled across remains in woods. He tried to lead police back to them, but kept getting lost. Police believe the remains he found were most likely Cathy's, but she remained unrecovered.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/moulton_cathy.html

It can't be Cathy because we know that the UID was murdered on 12/31/70. I think this is probably someone who was never reported missing. IMO, the only real possibilities from MP lists (based on appearance, location, etc.) are Darlene Polizzi and Ilonka Cann. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much on either woman.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/polizzi_darlene.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cann_ilonka.html

It can't be Cathy because we know that the UID was murdered on 12/31/70. I think this is probably someone who was never reported missing. IMO, the only real possibilities from MP lists (based on appearance, location, etc.) are Darlene Polizzi and Ilonka Cann. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much on either woman.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/polizzi_darlene.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cann_ilonka.html

I know Ilonka has ties to Kentucky.

Sadly, I've always come up empty-handed when trying to find info for Darlene. 'Just my opinion but I always suspected her husband was involved in her disappearance... and particularly because of the Polizzi family's reported involvement with organized crime.

I know Ilonka has ties to Kentucky.

Sadly, I've always come up empty-handed when trying to find info for Darlene. 'Just my opinion but I always suspected her husband was involved in her disappearance... and particularly because of the Polizzi family's reported involvement with organized crime.

Agree on Darlene. I've searched on her maiden and nicknames without much success.

Since she went by "Sandy" sometimes, I re-looked at Namus. One MP is Sandra Breed, who ran away with an older boyfriend in 1963 at 16. That would have made her the right age at the time this UID turned up. Picture is horrible, though. I'll look through the news archives to see if I can find something better.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/breed_sandra.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back