CT CT - WM DEVIN HOWELL, New Britain, 2003 and possibly earlier

Hi Caitlin. I knew Devin. His girlfriend Dorothy was my BFF! We thought he was from N.C. He had friends there and traveled back & forth from CT. My son just remembered that we stopped on the way back from a Florida vacation that we took with Dorothy and her daughter. We stopped and got a room and Dorothy went to meet Devin. My son remembers it being right over the border from Virginia. He also used to camp out a bit at a state park in Torrington/ Litchfield area. I remember once Dorothy was mad at him bcuz she had found a reciept from a motel in Southington he had stayed at once. I am just trying to remember as much as I can. My stomach has been in knots since I found all this out! Last year he sent Dorothy's sister Cheyenne an obituary that he had found with Dorothy's first and middle name and my last name. Cheyenne sent it to me. Creeps me out bad now! And I am wondering if maybe he hadn't begun killing yet when I knew him? All the victims disappeared in 2003. I moved out of state in Jan. 2003. God rest their souls and bless their families!

You think it's hard to stomach. I knew him. His girlfriend Dorothy was my best friend. They spent alot of time at my home in Berlin. I moved away in January of 2003. Last year he found an obituary with Dorothy's first and middle name and my last and sent it to Dorothy's sister. She sent it to me. I am going to look for it. It has been creeping me out. Dorothy had a big heart. I can't believe she would try to cover for him. It is just something that you would never expect to happen to you or anyone you know. It is so hard to understand how anyone could do such a thing. Especially when it is someone you are close to.

Who is the previous girlfriend? It sounds like an incident between him and DH.

Do you know there is a WDH FB page? I typed it in the other day and a page comes up. Nothing on it. Cover photo of a mass of bikers. ??? Who would create a page with his name? He can't go on FB in prison, can he?

What or where would they search that they need a warrant for? He has been in prison for years now.

This link only goes to an article saying there is a warrant but no interview? Please keep me updated. I am not in the state of CT anymore. Thanks!

Vicitms found August 2007

1. Mary Jane Menard 40

2. Joyvaline "Joy" Martinez 23

3. Diane Cusack 53

Victims found April 2015

4. Nilsa Arizmendi 34

5. Melanie Ruth Camilini 29

6. Daniel Whistnant 44

7. Marilyn Mendez Gonzalez, 26

All named victims disappeared in 2003.

Link to detailed timeline spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9dpNu3jLO3tUFl3Z2ZRVUxYOFU

We have threads for the first three victims. As Kate said, those threads can be found by selecting the tag "New Britain". I also added the tag "William Devin Howell".

Nothing new here, really, but an interesting read.

Bones provide answers, but leave more questions
Posted on May 23, 2015 by Lisa Backus

NEW BRITAIN — Clad in jeans and boots anthropologist Kristen Hartnett-McCann and investigator Michelle Clark spent more than two weeks in the woods here looking for the skeletal remains of victims of a presumed serial killer.

They waded through muck, mire and three feet of freshly unearthed dirt to help find four bodies, three women and a man who police believe had been buried at the remote crime since 2003. Their work with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will likely help connect William Devin Howell to seven murders, with each of the victims found within a one-acre area of woods.

cont. at the link

Thoughts about this case:

The person who committed these crimes had to be very familiar with the area. Hartford Rd (Rt. 71) is extremely busy. It is in between two big highways (for Connecticut)- I 84 and Rt. 9. It is close to a large and well known shopping mall called West Farms mall. In 2003, West Farms mall attracted middle to upper middle class shoppers with stores like Abercrombie, bebe, Nordstroms, etc. There was a Borders Bookstore nearby, and there is still a Barnes and Noble nearby. In those plazas were big stores like Sports Authority, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, etc. The borders/barnes and nobles are within view of 593 Hartford.

Like many places in CT, this area has a deep economic divide. North is the wealthy suburb of West Hartford- known for excellent schools and money. Bloomfield with money is North too. Northwest is Farmington... hard working families, middle class. New Britain, Newington to the east, and Hartford/ East Hartford to the North East are impoverished. There is a lot of drug abuse and crime. This dump site could not have been found in any way by chance. Someone had to have intimate knowledge of the land behind 593 Hartford Rd. There are other businesses directly connected to 593: a Monroe muffler, an Arthur Murray dance studio (open since 1983), a Subway, a gamestop. The anchor of the plaza is a CT Beverage Mart. An exit from route 9 south borders the property on one side. Right next door there is a fairly busy gas station.

It would be extremely audacious to dump bodies here. It is busy and well traveled, even late at night.

Not to split hairs, but your economic descriptions of CT regions is not correct...at least not within the last decade or so. Farmington & West Hartford are affluent areas. And "north" CT does not define wealth in that region.
I know, I lived there.

Vicitms found August 2007

1. Mary Jane Menard 40

2. Joyvaline "Joy" Martinez 23

3. Diane Cusack 53

Victims found April 2015

4. Nilsa Arizmendi 34

5. Melanie Ruth Camilini 29

6. Daniel Whistnant 44

7.Marilyn Mendez Gonzalez

All named victims disappeared in 2003.

We have threads for the first three victims. As Kate said, those threads can be found by selecting the tag "New Britain". I also added the tag "William Devin Howell".

http://foxct.com/2015/06/08/seventh-victim-identified-in-new-britain-serial-killings/

A seventh body found at a Connecticut dumping ground believed to have been used by a serial killer was identified Monday as another woman who had been missing since 2003.

Medical examiners identified the woman as Marilyn Gonzalez, 26, a mother of two girls ages 7 and 11, New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell said. She had been missing since leaving her home in Waterbury, he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/connecticut-serial-killer-william-devin-howell-victim-marilyn-gonzalez/

Another article, this one showing a history of violence. http://www.wfsb.com/story/29041819/new-britain-suspected-serial-killer-identified-by-sources

A neighbor of W.D.H. also called him and his gf at the time unfriendly.

Here are two women who fit the missing time frame... Don't know if the first has connections to where W.D.H. was active.
Monica Hartnett, 44, missing since sometime in January of 2003 from Danbury, Connecticut
Marilyn Mendez Gonzalez, 26, missing since May 15, 2003 from Waterbury, Connecticut

Marilyn Mendez Gonzalez
406x525

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine