Dakota Fanning movie blasted for her rape scene

julianne said:
Thanks, d_s----I have to say that it sure doesn't make me sad that there are no buyers for this movie. Course, it's still early in the game and that may change, but I have a feeling that this may be a case of where the pre-publicity just may end up being it's demise.
I think its demise is the fact that it's not a good movie. If it was a good movie, the pre-publicity would just add to the desire to pick it up and distribute it, IMO.

southcitymom said:
I think its demise is the fact that it's not a good movie. If it was a good movie, the pre-publicity would just add to the desire to pick it up and distribute it, IMO.
Well, I would normally think that too, but there is also a desire NOT to distribute it due to the pre-publicity as well. With so many groups, individuals and organizations so opposed to it, and the stigma associated with it (some disagree whether it's a justified stigma or not), there's already a certain amount of "bad PR" that automatically comes with distribution, and many companies just aren't willing or able to take that risk.

I was just thinking tonight about how stunt doubles are used to keep the "real" actor or actress from being physically harmed.

I don't see why a "stunt" double couldn't have been used in this case to keep a 12 yr old girl from being mentally harmed by what she was projecting. There are plenty of 18 yr old girls that could pass for 12, especially if everything was being done "in the shadows".

It makes no sense to me at all why this was allowed.
:twocents:

julianne said:
Well, I would normally think that too, but there is also a desire NOT to distribute it due to the pre-publicity as well. With so many groups, individuals and organizations so opposed to it, and the stigma associated with it (some disagree whether it's a justified stigma or not), there's already a certain amount of "bad PR" that automatically comes with distribution, and many companies just aren't willing or able to take that risk.
Dear Julianne,:blowkiss:
Thank you for your post. I respect each and every one of them.

All of my Respect to you Julianne,
dark_shadows

As far as bad PR;

In general;
I keep hearing that the movie will help young children.:rolleyes: People need to speak to the ones who walked off from the set. They had a good reason to do that.
Parents speaking to their children in real life is what is needed.
Real life parental talks do not include hollywood disguised rape scenes. No matter how anyone looks at it, body suit or not, in the end, it implies rape.
Dakota trusts her parents and the seeds planted in her mind by all involved in her life.
Dakota referred to the film as "beautiful". Now where did she hear that from. Who planted the seeds in her mind?

The teaching of the lessons of life are not to be relyed on by any movie.
They are taught by communication by the family element. I do not see how any parent taking their child to see this movie would help any child to speak up abpout rape. The charactor in this movie is degraded to obtain tickets to a singers show. She endures the humiliation and still asks about tickets. Read the partial script she is more that happy to comply.
We need to speak to our children throughout their life and commend ourselves as parents for the upbringing of our children, not commending one movie for opening the door of parental communication. All of us as parents have a parental duty to educate our children from day one.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Dear Julianne,:blowkiss:
Thank you for your post. I respect each and every one of them.

All of my Respect to you Julianne,
dark_shadows

As far as bad PR;

In general;
I keep hearing that the movie will help young children.:rolleyes: People need to speak to the ones who walked off from the set. They had a good reason to do that.
Parents speaking to their children in real life is what is needed.
Real life parental talks do not include hollywood disguised rape scenes. No matter how anyone looks at it, body suit or not, in the end, it implies rape.
Dakota trusts here parents and the seeds planted in her mind by all involved in her life.
Dakota referred to the film as "beautiful". Now where did she hear that from. Who planted the seeds in her mind?

The teaching of the lessons of life are not to be relyed on by any movie.
They are taught by communication by the family element. I do not see how any parent taking their child to see this movie would help any child to speak up abpout rape. The charactor in this movie is degraded to obtain tickets to a singers show. She endures the humiliation and still asks about tickets. Read the partial script she is more that happy to comply.
We need to speak to our children throughout their life and commend ourselves as parents for the upbringing of our children, not commending one movie for opening the door of parental communication. All of us as parents have a parental duty to educate our children from day one.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Excellent post dark shadows.

Best,

Lion

LionRun said:
Excellent post dark shadows.

Best,

Lion
Dear Lion,:blowkiss:
Thank you for your valued post.
All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Dear Lion,:blowkiss:
Thank you for your valued post.
All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows
You are welcome dark shadows:blowkiss:.

Best to you,

Lion

julianne said:
Well, maybe - BUT the graphic gang rape of a 10-year-old scene at the beginning of A Time to Kill was way more graphic than the Dakota scene and that movie was picked up and became a runaway hit. Of course, that movie was amazing - Houndog just sounds like tripe.

southcitymom said:
If y'all haven't seen it, check out SNL's recent send up of Dakota Fanning's recent star turn...it's very very funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcNDzrfU0Ss&eurl=

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! SCM, thanks for the link---that was TOOO funny!! Amy Poehler hit it right on----gosh, she even LOOKED like Dakota Fanning! I just watched "Little Miss Sunshine" for the first time the other night, otherwise I would've had no idea who Abigail Breslin was. BTW, it was a great movie!

I just love SNL. Never fails to crack me up.

julianne said:
BAHAHAHAHA!!!! SCM, thanks for the link---that was TOOO funny!! Amy Poehler hit it right on----gosh, she even LOOKED like Dakota Fanning! I just watched "Little Miss Sunshine" for the first time the other night, otherwise I would've had no idea who Abigail Breslin was. BTW, it was a great movie!

I just love SNL. Never fails to crack me up.
I knew you'd love that, julianne....they touched on some of the very things we were discussing in this thread, but obviously with more humor - very tongue-in-cheek. I thought it was brilliant! I loved when Abigail Breslin said "I did a funny dance!" :) Priceless!

FlowerChild said:
Dakota NEVER was naked at any time.
There was no simulted rape - there was Dakota screaming "stop it" with a shot of her face and a shot of her hands. No other actor was in the shots. The scene was spliced together from a NUMBER of shots only a couple of which were of Dakota.
Dakota says she is ACTING - and that she doesn't even think about it anymore except as a movie she made. She said other parts she has played frightened and bothered her more.

The movie has much more to do with poor parenting, and children who are neglected and ignored by alcoholic and emotionally cold, uncaring parents and family members. Everything that happens to Dakota's character is a direct result of her lack of parenting and her alcoholic, uncaring home life. Her survival in ALL of it is due to her inner strength and spirit. Overcoming the bad things that happened are the story - the bad things merely background of the character - NOT the story.

Hounddog is NOT a movie about a 12 year old girl being raped, despite the religious and right wing critics trying to make it a movie about that.

The subject matter is mature - so only mature people should go see it. If the subject matter offends you, don't see it. It has already been stated that no laws or statutes were violated in the making of the movie - that is a non-starter. Comes down to choice - don't agree, don't see it. No-one is going to force anyone. In turn, I wish people would please stop trying to FORCE their choices onto others. The movie is made, the arguments about that are moot. Now there is just a movie and personal choice - just the way it should be.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member