David Crosby Dies At 81

I'm so sorry!

I had the same good fortune to see them many times in different configurations. The last time I saw CSN was a few years ago when they were opening for Tom Petty. My favorite show was in 1990 in Buffalo, they opened for the Grateful Dead -- Crosby stood at the edge of the stage barefoot and sang his heart out. Our seats weren't close but the sound was wonderful.

I'm glad that you got to see them several times!
Thanks @deadfoot13. Wow that must have been an incredible show. I love the Dead too and would have loved seeing them together.

I was fortunate to have seen most of David’s appearances in Pittsburgh from the mid-1970’s on. I was at this 1985 show, but never knew this behind-the-scenes story until I read it today.

They even made their way here in 1985 and 1987, years that bookended Crosby’s stint in a Texas prison on drug and weapons charges. During those years, it wasn’t uncommon for Crosby to mysteriously disappear from the stage for short stretches. At the 1985 arena show, Crosby was missing for 45 minutes while Stills and Nash carried the show, taking turns backstage trying to get him to finish the show, which he eventually did.

In an interview prior to the concert, Nash said of his 45-year-old partner, “We are trying to sway him from the dark side of life.”

Rich Engler, founder of promoter DiCesare-Engler Productions, vividly remembers the backstage scene.

Stills and Nash did their separate solo songs and when it was time to bring Crosby back, they found the singer half-asleep in his dressing room.

While Stills extended his portion, “Graham grabbed a glass of ice water and poured it on David’s head,” Engler says. “You wanna talk about a rude awakening. David wakes up, ‘Wha? Wha? What?’ Graham goes, ‘Get up, get a towel and get the hell out there. And he did.”

“David is gone, but his music lives on,” Young wrote. “The soul of CSNY, David’s voice and energy were at the heart of our band. His great songs stood for what we believed in and it was always fun and exciting when we got to play together.” Find the full statement below.

Very sad news, both him and Jeff Beck gone (and Top Topham the original Yardbirds guitarist before Beck recently passed too) :(

Lovely to see the photos and tributes on here. Thank you.

COVID was cause of death, he caught it a second time:
The iconic musician died aged 81 on January 19 2023 with his wife Jan Dance saying he passed after a 'long illness' - with Nash, 81, detailing that Crosby's shock death had come just hours after he rehearsed for a show in Los Angeles.

He told the Kyle Meredith With… podcast: 'He was rehearsing for a show to do in Los Angeles with a full band. After three days of rehearsals, he felt a little sick.

'And he'd already had COVID and he had COVID again. And so he went home and decided that he would take a nap, and he never woke up. But he died in his bed and that is fantastic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back