DC DC - Robert Wone, 32, Washington DC, 2 Aug 2006

why would she agree to settle out of court?

This case is weird............looks like they got away murder IMO.

I agree, I wonder if LE are still keeping tabs on them, the murder case must still be open as nobody has ever been charged and convicted for it, so hopefully they one day will be able to make a case against one or more of the men who were in the home that night,

settling the civil case shows that they did not want the can of worms opened in court where all the evidence LE has would be presented,

I wonder if LE will look again at the case now the civil suit was settled

Such an awful case. I fully believe the three men know EXACTLY what happened (and are guilty as well).

RIP Robert Wone! May strength be brought to all those who miss you! :rose:

One of those cases that seems like a no brainer in terms of who did it, but there just isn't the "evidence" to charge them. I am pretty confident all three of the other guys in that house were responsible and/or know exactly what happened.

That infuriates me! They fully know the three men are responsible. Literally EVERYTHING has pointed to them. I can't even imagine how Robert's family feels, watching there be no justice for him! :mad:

I came to Websleuths specifically for this case. As someone experienced in BDSM, I have a theory. You see, the electrical stimulation toy is not for beginners. A lot of people want to put them anywhere on the body and if run across the chest, they can stop the heart. Due to some details like the lack of external bleeding from the stab wounds, I just have to wonder if they accidentally did this to Robert (regardless of his consent) and then panicked. The problem is, death by this matter leaves no trace, so I don't see how it could be proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to WS stacipr. That is an interesting theory, you may be correct. I personally think it was against his will. If it was consensual, I think they would have gotten him help during an accident.

I came to Websleuths specifically for this case. As someone experienced in BDSM, I have a theory. You see, the electrical stimulation toy is not for beginners. A lot of people want to put them anywhere on the body and if run across the chest, they can stop the heart. Due to some details like the lack of external bleeding from the stab wounds, I just have to wonder if they accidentally did this to Robert (regardless of his consent) and then panicked. The problem is, death by this matter leaves no trace, so I don't see how it could be proven.

Interesting theory, but why did they stab him? To stage the scene? Wouldn't it have been easier to just say he died of a heart attack in his sleep?

IIRC, the DC police botched some of the evidence, too. They didn't test for all the drugs they should have during his autopsy. It was believed they gave him some kind of powerful knockout drug, too. Will have to go back and read up on this sad case.

ETA: A question: If they ran the device across his chest would it have left some kind of mark? Like a burn or bruise or something? One would think any device giving a current strong enough to stop someone's heart would leave some sort of mark on the skin.

ETA: A question: If they ran the device across his chest would it have left some kind of mark? Like a burn or bruise or something? One would think any device giving a current strong enough to stop someone's heart would leave some sort of mark on the skin.[/QUOTE]

No, because it's amps and not volts that cause the heart to stop. It takes surprisingly little in amperage to stop the heart. Voltage causes the burns, amps do not. The reason we know this is that it's happened and is now warned against. Many devices have warnings on the packaging, but a device made specifically for penis or prostate stimulation may not. I haven't encountered one in the package, so I honestly don't know.

I thought about your question on why they stabbed him and tried to stage a murder. It's a good question and my only thought is that people do stupid things when they panic. If they didn't know the devices could kill that way, I feel it's safe to assume they didn't know it's undetectable. They may have thought it could show up in an autopsy and felt they needed to create a different cause of death.

ETA: A question: If they ran the device across his chest would it have left some kind of mark? Like a burn or bruise or something? One would think any device giving a current strong enough to stop someone's heart would leave some sort of mark on the skin.

No, because it's amps and not volts that cause the heart to stop. It takes surprisingly little in amperage to stop the heart. Voltage causes the burns, amps do not. The reason we know this is that it's happened and is now warned against. Many devices have warnings on the packaging, but a device made specifically for penis or prostate stimulation may not. I haven't encountered one in the package, so I honestly don't know.

I thought about your question on why they stabbed him and tried to stage a murder. It's a good question and my only thought is that people do stupid things when they panic. If they didn't know the devices could kill that way, I feel it's safe to assume they didn't know it's undetectable. They may have thought it could show up in an autopsy and felt they needed to create a different cause of death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation. I had wondered about marks because defibrillators do sometimes leave burn marks on the skin of patients. It's certainly an explanation to consider in this terrible case. IIRC, there were similar theories of other causes of death (besides stabbing). It was also believed the men cleaned up the crime scene. A big issue was that Robert Wone had no defensive wounds, he didn't try to fight off the person who stabbed him, leading to assumptions he was either deceased already or deeply sedated.

Have other people died as a result of misuse of this kind of equipment? What have others done in those situations?

Thanks for the explanation. I had wondered about marks because defibrillators do sometimes leave burn marks on the skin of patients. It's certainly an explanation to consider in this terrible case. IIRC, there were similar theories of other causes of death (besides stabbing). It was also believed the men cleaned up the crime scene. A big issue was that Robert Wone had no defensive wounds, he didn't try to fight off the person who stabbed him, leading to assumptions he was either deceased already or deeply sedated.

Have other people died as a result of misuse of this kind of equipment? What have others done in those situations?

I'll have to get back to you on this. I attended a safety class where the stories were told, but sources not sighted. Nor was the aftermath really discussed. So I will find out and report back. I do know that it's used as a major theme in the book "Topping From Below" by Laura Reese, but that's erotic fiction. Still, Reese is a PhD who does her homework.

I'll have to get back to you on this. I attended a safety class where the stories were told, but sources not sighted. Nor was the aftermath really discussed. So I will find out and report back. I do know that it's used as a major theme in the book "Topping From Below" by Laura Reese, but that's erotic fiction. Still, Reese is a PhD who does her homework.

Thanks! No rush.

Could I ask you another question? You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable. In reading the evidence of this case, do you think the presumed sexual activity involving Robert Wone was consensual? JMO, it's a key part of reaching a conclusion about his COD and who killed him. There are several possible scenarios considered by the prosecution and others who have followed the case. Whether or not he consented helps rule some out. To be clear, I don't think there was a burglar, it was one or two of the three roommates.

I like your theory, but there's also the question of the needle mark, which brings up a much different scenario.

It's a tough question, but I'm inclined to think he was drugged and unwilling. There is an entire fetish called "sleepy sex" that involves sexual contact with someone unresponsive, be it by sleep, drugs, or knock out through other means. To me, it's a dangerous fetish and one that can easily get out of control. I could see that in this case. For many in this fetish, the lack of consent is the turn on. Knowing what I know about fetishist and others in the lifestyle, I really think there would have been some evidence of Robert's interest in these sorts of sexual activities had he been a willing participant. It also would give greater understanding to the panic caused when he died. An accident with a consensual participant is one thing, but when they were unwilling and drugged? I could see them loosing it.

Hi Betty, it seems your question brought me some enlightenment! I could not find evidence of an actual death from the electro stimulation toys. The following link it to a good forum discussion on the topic and it contains links to FDA and OSHA documentation. These documents explain why it's unlikely that these devices would kill.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-292369.html

So, my theory is improbable, unless there was some sort of flaw in or tampering with the device that caused it to be stronger than what is allowed on the market.

It's a tough question, but I'm inclined to think he was drugged and unwilling. There is an entire fetish called "sleepy sex" that involves sexual contact with someone unresponsive, be it by sleep, drugs, or knock out through other means. To me, it's a dangerous fetish and one that can easily get out of control. I could see that in this case. For many in this fetish, the lack of consent is the turn on. Knowing what I know about fetishist and others in the lifestyle, I really think there would have been some evidence of Robert's interest in these sorts of sexual activities had he been a willing participant. It also would give greater understanding to the panic caused when he died. An accident with a consensual participant is one thing, but when they were unwilling and drugged? I could see them loosing it.

Thanks for the information. It really helps explain what may have happened to poor Robert. Seems he really may have been the victim of a drug overdose and rape, likely by J & D. Perhaps this was something they wanted to try, but were unwilling to do on themselves. Horrible men who had very good attorneys and knew how to keep quiet.

I cannot believe I just heard of this case through a podcast! One thing, glossed over by the reports, was that Price initially said they found him on the patio. This distinction seems really important.
Robert Wone: Life, Death, and Love | Washingtonian (DC)

IIRC, police found something suspicious in the outside patio drain. Did they take his body out there to rinse off the blood? Then bring him back inside to stage the crime scene? They had 45 minutes before police arrived.

I've already listened to the Generation Why podcast about Robert. Here's the latest, one from Crime Junkie.

https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/murdered-robert-wone/

ETA: Here's another one

012 - The Strange Murder of Robert Wone — Trace Evidence

IIRC, police found something suspicious in the outside patio drain. Did they take his body out there to rinse off the blood? Then bring him back inside to stage the crime scene? They had 45 minutes before police arrived.

I've already listened to the Generation Why podcast about Robert. Here's the latest, one from Crime Junkie.

https://crimejunkiepodcast.com/murdered-robert-wone/

ETA: Here's another one

012 - The Strange Murder of Robert Wone — Trace Evidence
Thanks! I will have to listen to those. I normally give LE the benefit of the doubt, but this seems so botched. They can’t tell if he was showered and redressed after being stabbed? Seriously? Do they even have an estimated time of death based on the condition of the body or are they just relying on the killers’ story?

Thanks! I will have to listen to those. I normally give LE the benefit of the doubt, but this seems so botched. They can’t tell if he was showered and redressed after being stabbed? Seriously? Do they even have an estimated time of death based on the condition of the body or are they just relying on the killers’ story?

I don't recall offhand, it's been a few years since I followed this case. There's a lot more information at this web page

http://whomurderedrobertwone.com/

Also some info here

Murder of Robert Eric Wone - Wikipedia

The autopsy revealed evidence of some degree of suffocation, perhaps by a pillow, and puncture marks on his neck, chest, foot and hand. Though no toxins were found in his blood, a lack of evidence of struggle led investigators to suspect Wone had been injected with a paralytic agent. Cadaver dogs found a blood residue in a dryer lint trap and the patio drain, which detectives believe may be evidence that someone washed themselves in the back patio area, and dried wet clothes in the dryer.[

There was also evidence of some kind of sexual activity done to him, too graphic for me to describe. It made no sense, though. The amount of time between when he arrived at his friend's home and the time they called 911 wasn't very long, so estimating TOD was probably difficult. As noted above, there was no evidence of Wone struggling with an attacker. He may have been already dead or unconscious when stabbed.

https://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/files/ward_affidavit

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500