GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Wagner‏Verified account @Fox5Wagner
Prosecutor Laura Bach ended cross examination of Daron Wint by reminding him of all the lies he told about money and where it came from. The in a rapid fire exchange asked Wint if he had been inside 3201 Woodland? Yes. Eat Pizza there? Yes. DNA on vest in burned Porsche? Yes.
12:25 PM - 11 Oct 2018

Attorney Bach kicks it!! MOO

Good to know DrrW gave an interview and some info to LE - I wonder when that happened - presumably IMO 3 years ago, not long after the fire?

Really wondering if DrrW is still in the area. Per WaPo, he hasn’t responded to media requests for comment during the trial.

I haven’t seen anything about how SW was supposedly involved in the crime ? DW’s elaborate alibi has to place SW there due to hair found in room with victims that was mitochondrial DNA match with DW & SW but not DrrW.
And SW is bald. I believe that was part of the defense challenge on the "hair DNA" because prosecution called it "head hair" and defense alleged it was "facial/beard hair."

Someone asked earlier if DW parents were in attendance. On redirect the defense attorney asked him if all of his family in the US had been interviewed by law enforcement and he said yes. Then the attorney mentioned that family who wanted to be there to support him could not be, because they could be called as potential witnesses.

Someone asked earlier if DW parents were in attendance. On redirect the defense attorney asked him if all of his family in the US had been interviewed by law enforcement and he said yes. Then the attorney mentioned that family who wanted to be there to support him could not be, because they could be called as potential witnesses.

Good one! Yes, how cruel of the legal system to prioritize seeking the truth over coddling a crazed murderous beast.

I don’t think so. They’re not taking notes and several seem amused to me
They (jurors) must want to ask DW that if things are as you're testifying, why was't DwlW arrested before you? Why are you the only defendant behind bars since 2015? DC LE aren't the fools DW painting to the jury! They're probably annoyed with him. Game over DW. MOO

I believe DW also testified that after he found out the two iphones were stolen, he gave them back. Back to DwlW?
Did not hear him say that today. He said that Darrell gave them to him, that someone left them on a park bench and Darrell picked them up.
Found it - it was from Wed testimony:
Wint also told jurors he returned the iPhones because he had a suspicion they may have been stolen.
DC Mansion Murders Suspect Daron Wint Testifies

They (jurors) must want to ask DW that if things are as you're testifying, why was't DwlW arrested before you? Why are you the only defendant behind bars since 2015? DC LE aren't the fools DW painting to the jury! They're probably annoyed with him. Game over DW. MOO

LE can sometimes be wrong- I was reminded of that while watching the Matthew Yussman case where Michael Benanti “kidnapped him” on ID the other night.

"I was considered a person of interest almost immediately and my life was picked apart. I was never treated as a victim and my reputation has been permanently damaged," Yussman wrote.

JMO

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 1h1 hour ago
Daron Wint’s testimony ends followed by 2 witnesses from Mississippi St SE, DC where Wint says he spent the nite at Ed’s house May 13 2015. Both testify they knew Ed lived there before he died - neither knew him well. That’s Wint’s alibi for day Savopoulos/Figueroa taken hostage

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP 2h2 hours ago
Intense closing of cross examination. Prosecutor Laura Bach to Daron Wint: ‘Your hair was in the hard hat. Just like you had that knife at 3201 Woodland. Just like your hair was in bedding in the same room as 3 dead people. Just like you had the bat...’ @WTOP

Prosecutor on Wint seeing himself on national news being charged in the murders while he’s in NY: ‘you’re surprised because you thought you got away with it!’’No ma’am.’

Daron Wint’s brother Darrell worked with DC detectives to turn him into police in mansion murders. Wint testifies on cross examination that the plan was to go with Darrell to get a lawyer. Prosecutor confirms thru questioning that Darrell made another plan.

LE can sometimes be wrong- I was reminded of that while watching the Matthew Yussman case where Michael Benanti “kidnapped him” on ID the other night.

"I was considered a person of interest almost immediately and my life was picked apart. I was never treated as a victim and my reputation has been permanently damaged," Yussman wrote.

JMO
Absolutely LE they can be wrong -- long history of it happening! My example was specific to DW testimony which I believe fabricated around where his DNA located.

Here is a summary of my notes. This is just a rough draft summary of questions and testimony and of my impressions.
  • Bach asked DW how often he saw Phil at AIW - he said 1-2x per week between 2003-2005, only saw SS once or twice. Bach then asked if DW knew that SS was running the company for those 24 months and that PS was in the Virgin Islands
  • DW said he was terminated in 2005 for missing work, but found another job the next day. DW called AIW to get his job back in 2008 & 2009 but they declined to rehire him.
  • 2014-15 - DW had no steady work. Steffon gave him LG phone. His mother and sisters in Guyana gave him money periodically.
  • DW had no drivers license or passport and his lack of ID made finding permanent employment difficult
  • In 2015 when living with Dennis (his father) DW would go to 7-11 on Kenilworth Ave around 6AM to look for day labor jobs. DW said this was M-W only, that he didn't go on Thursday & Friday.
  • DW stated he lived primarily in MD and NY, and was not very familiar with DC
  • On 3/23/15, DW was pulled over on NY ave on his way to a day job. He had no registration and a light was out on the van. He gave police Steffon's name and dob because Steffon had an ID and would be able to use the ID to retreive the van. Said he didn't think Steffon would get into any trouble over this.
  • 4/1/15 - Steffon's bday. Date of argument over dishes. DW moves out, moves to father's home. Bach asked a lot of questions about the timeline of the argument and the voicemails DW left that day. She was very aggressive in these questions, and the jury looked a little bit lost (imo). I think she lost them a little bit with this. The voicemails were supposed to sound angry and threatening - 2 ladies behind me in court laughed, and said that he didn't sound angry for a Caribbean person.
  • Move into Dennis's home was supposed to be temporary.
  • Laptop was given to DW by Derrick Ayling
  • 5/11/15 - DW "popped up" at Darrell's apartment. on this day, DW went to 7-11, then gym, then Darrell's apt. This was DW's second time at Darrell's apt - he had been there once before to help him move in(3 weeks or so prior to 5/11) Only Darrell was in the apartment, with his baby. DW said Darrell has several children, with several women, didn't remember which child was there on 5/11, but said child was a baby. Darrell told DW that Steffon had a job for him that Weds (5/13). DW knew it wasn't a PCM job. DW had previously worked at PCM and was fired for refusing to wear a hard hat
  • 5/13/15 - DW parked van around 6:05AM in DC, Darrell came up to the van and said he didn't need DW to work that day, but needs to borrow van. DW asked for $300 for the use of the van for the day. DW did not see Steffon. Took a black backpack with him that day, with bottles of water. Bach asked if he had a boxcutter in the bag, DW said no. DW thought job with Darrell would pay $100 per day. After job fell through, DW went with Darrell to Silver Spring, to Garnett's house. Bach brought up the fact that DW has had access to Darrell's phone records this entire time, as well as access to Garnett transcript. After Silver Spring, Darrell takes DW to Ed's house. Prosecutor also mentioned at this point that the back windows of the van were spray painted black (I don't know why). DW said he spray painted them. DW stated he knew Ed for "a minute" - between a month and a year. DW said that Ed was "old." Bach asked DW if he knew that Ed was 52 years old in 2015, and that he was a cocaine addict, heroin user and sex offender (not trying to smear anyone here - she specifically asked this) DW said he knew Ed did drugs, but didn't know which drugs. DW said people at Ed's were smoking marijuana.
  • 5/13/15 continued - DW said that at one point he was outside and a tall guy with dreadlocks came outside, and DW told him that if he cut his hair, DW would use it to extend his own dreadlocks. DW said he had used his mother's hair to extend his dreadlocks as well. Prosecutor sounded incredulous about this - I suspected it goes back to the ongoing hair testimony/expert debate - but she didn't pursue this questioning - that is my guess only. Bach asked DW if he was aware that Ed died a year ago, DW said no. DW didn't try to call anyone from Ed's house because he didn't have his phone. DW thought Darrell would be back to pick him up around 5-6PM. DW started drinking vodka - or other white liquor - around 5PM and passed out on Ed's couch at 1AM.
  • 5/14/15 - Around 10AM DW wakes up on Ed's couch and goes outside.Bach asked if DW ate anything at Ed's house or went out for food. DW said he had $5 on him, but didn't want to spend the money because he wasn't employed. DW said that he had $200 at his father's home that was sent to him from a sister in Guyana. Sometime after 10AM a blue Porsche pulled up to Ed's house - convertible 911 turbo. Bach asked if DW knew it was an expensive car, and he compared it to a Mercedes or BMW. DW said he was hungry when Darrell picked him up but they didn't stop for food. Said Darrell needed him to do 30 minutes of work, and that there was food at the house Darrell was working at. DW reclined the seat at a 45 degree angle because he was hungover. Went directly to 3201 Woodland, no stops. Darrell parked on the street and walked up to the house and opened the door. DW didn't notice if Darrell was wearing gloves. DW went into blue receiving room, and Darrell went upstairs and came back with a pizza box. DW noticed the gloves at this point because they were dirty, and he asked why Darrell would be touching his food with dirty gloves. DW said he didn't try to avoid touching the box or the table. Ate some pizza and put crust back in box. Didn't close the box. Wouldn't have noticed if blood was on the outside of the box because he didn't close the box. DW didn't hear anything upstairs but heard dogs barking.DW went to the Porsche after eating pizza and found his backpack and phone. Went into garage as Darrell told him to meet him there. DW checked for wifi in garage, but needed a password to get on wifi so didn't sign on. Darrell handed DW a hard hat and vest and DW put them on. DW asked Darrell what the hard hat and vest were for and Darrell said to unload house, so they wouldn't look suspicious. DW said he wanted to do honest work. Got mad at Darrell and threw the hardhat down, left wearing the vest. Went out garage door. DW still had $5 in pocked, walked to look for a bus stop. Said he made a left out of the garage, walked to light, then made a right. Walked down to school on left side, when Darrell pulled up in the Porsche to pick him up to take him to the van. DW gets in the car, reclined. They went to shopping center in MD, not back to van. (Shopping center were la Fountainbleue is) Darrell gave DW $300 & 2 iphones which Darrell said he found on a park bench. DW said Darrell knew that DW wanted nothing from the Woodland Dr house. DW acknowledges that Steffon, Samantha live near the shopping center, and he's familiar with a short cut path from the shopping center to their respective apartments. DW then started walking to a bus stop to go back for his van but realized he didn't have keys, so flagged a tow truck. Paid $100 to tow truck driver. DW had previously typed 24 & K in his phone to remember van location, but the van was actually located at 2400 pennsylvania Ave.Van towed back to same parking lot where Darrell brought DW earlier. DW admits to making calls, sending "Faron" text from tow driver's phone. DW said he walked around shopping center looking for wifi to call Vanessa. He doesn't remember seeing the witness who id'ed him in the parking lot. DW looks in van for cigarettes, finds keys in glove box and drives off angry to have spent $100 for a tow. DW returns home to Dennis's house 5-6PM, and Dennis is angry, tells DW to leave, to go to NY (DW stated earlier that his backup plan if things didn't work out at dads house was to live in his van or to move to NY) DW saw news story about fire that evening, was angry, went to Wal Mart with Darrell anyway.
Taking a break here as this post is getting long. Will continue in another post.

Notes Part 2:

• DW admits to looking up info on wiping iPhones, says he still doesn't think they were stolen. Looked up how to factory reset iphone, get rid of cloud content. DW doesn't want van as he fears it will connect him to the fire/crime. Darrell gives him 6K for the van. DW said Darrell bought jeans at Walmart - Bach contests this, shows receipt that shows Darrell purchased painter's pants, because Darrell was due to start new painting job the next day. DW said he doesn't remember that, remembers jeans. They left Walmart and DW realizes he left his backpack at the house on Woodland. Return to Walmart to buy backpack.
  • There was 1 hour between the 2 Walmart trips - DW said that he and Darrell went to a neighborhood. Darrell went into a house to meet someone, and DW remained in the car for 30 minutes, then they went back to Walmart.
  • Bach asks DW if he knew Darrell was talking to the police in May 2015 - DW says no. Darrell took police to 51st & Frolich to show them debris pile, which contained zip ties. DW said he didn't know anything about debris pile. Photo of debris pile was shown to DW only. 51st & Frolich location is a block away from DW's former workplace.
  • 5/16 DW wakes up and realizes his van was gone. Doesn't know what happened to it, but figures it has to be Darrell. Thought it's Darrell's problem now.
  • 5/18-19 DW admits to looking up hideout places, extradition treaties - says he was concerned about being linked to the crime because of the van.
  • DW says when he was in NY he called his stepmother to ask if there were any issues with his green card application (she had previously helped him fill out the application). Denies asking if the green card arrived - said he knew it takes a year for a green card application to be processed/approved.
  • 5/20 sees himself on the news, calls his father on a landline. Father puts him on phone with a detective. Goes to a hotel - Vanessa signs for hotel room.
  • 5/21 leaves NY for DC around 7Am, back in DC by noon. Goes with Darrell to Garnett's house, then to breakfast place, then to hotel. Darrell paid for room. DW in contact with lawyer, Darrell supposed to get lawyer to meet to turn himself in. Used flip phone to make calls during this time. Darrell returns around 9-10PM. DW says he smelled like smoke because of cigarettes.
  • More questions from Bach about 4/1 voicemails. DW says in 5/2015 he was around 165 lbs and fit from working out. Admits he told lies to Vanessa, tow truck driver, father, Derrick, police
  • Redirect - 10s of thousands of pages of discovery, DW didn't review it all. DW was aware his family had talked to police. DW not familiar with DC as he lived in MD. 5/13 - 5/14 GPS data for Darrell's phone is incomplete for those days. There was a call to "Steve" that DW says was a misdial (my notes on this are vague, sorry!)
  • Last two witnesses were unrelated elderly neighbors who testified that they lived near Ed, Ed worked on cars.
Defense said outside of jury that they would probably wrap up on Monday.
Bach kept mentioning that DW had access to transcripts, evidence to craft his story. Defense asked for a jury instruction that it's DW's constitutional right to hear testimony and review evidence against him, that there is nothing improper about this. Judge gave the instruction after cross and before redirect.

JMO

But Daron has a long criminal history, including burglary and assaults and threats of violence to children, even threats to use knives or machetes on children. How many people have been arrested for threats like that, and then have been found 'downstairs eating pizza' where 4 dead bodies that were hacked and burned are found upstairs? And his answer was ' I wouldn't keep the 2 iPhones because I thought they might be stolen?' Yeah, sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2