GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported that DarrW Goo was charged with attempted murder in the MAC/gang snitch case, with DarrW Goo’s charges reduced, but the jury doesn’t know any of that.
If the MAC knew DarrW Goo was going to talk/ testify in court maybe they’d want to silence him, as he tried to silence someone previously...

JMO from what I have read...
Still seems murky to me. Why does he need to be silenced in this particular case?

jmo

Still seems murky to me. Why does he need to be silenced in this particular case?

jmo

It could be dragging MAC into the spotlight and I believe DarrW Goo likes to keep his business private and not get caught up in the business of others. JMO
LE could investigate any and all MAC members and squeeze their businesses. JMO
Maybe others were involved in the murders on Woodland Drive.

Just exploring the possibilities
JMO

It could be dragging MAC into the spotlight and I believe DarrW Goo likes to keep his business private and not get caught up in the business of others. JMO

JMO
I think it might be Goo making sure he looks like a reluctant witness - not for this particular case but in general. He's worried about his rep, perhaps.

speculation only. I have no idea.

jmo

Ooopsie on court security protocol:

Paul Wagner on Twitter
Paul Wagner‏Verified account @Fox5Wagner
New-After testifying in #MansionMurders trial yesterday Darrell Wint got a courtesy exit out of the courthouse simply because he didn’t want his picture taken. His brother Steffon got one too. Now court official says MPD detective asked for it. Why? He was not protected witness.

DpzuyaGUwAEKmy_.jpg

10:45 AM - 18 Oct 2018

jmo
JMO
Absolutley -- I think that's exactly why Goo lied to the initial Investigator that he was working at garbage collection and painting co., during the days in question, but testified to hanging in the hood with his kid and the music man eating pizza. Goo doesn't want anybody in his business (distribution or other). Also, I still think he could be an informant.

Last edited:
Absolutley -- I think that's exactly why Goo lied to the initial Investigator that he was working at garbage collection and painting co., during the days in question, but testified to hanging in the hood with his kid and the music man eating pizza. Goo doesn't want anybody in his business (distribution or other). I still think he's also an informant.
Yes. DarrW Goo is a liar.
How could he not think that his lies to the initial detective would not be investigated, which would prove he is a liar!!??
And, NOW he is supposedly telling the truth!? Not for a second do I believe either story of his.

Oct. 18, 2018 — Day 19 LIVE TRIAL BLOG

Prosecution rests case; cell location data backs up brother's alibi

The prosecution has rested its case against Daron Wint. The 37-year-old Maryland man is charged with killing Savvas, Amy, Philip Savopoulos and Vera Figueroa in May 2015 after taking the four victims captive inside the Savopoulos family's Woodley Park mansion.

The prosecution’s final witnesses detailed the cellphone activity and location data of Wint’s brother, younger half-brother Darrell Wint. The location data — which pinpoints a cellphone's location based on the nearest cell tower when messages and calls are sent and received — back up the accounting of his whereabouts on May 13 and 14, 2015 that Darrell Wint gave to jurors when he took the stand Wednesday.

The cell location data show Darrell Wint's phone was in Montgomery County, Maryland, for most of the day May 13 and May 14 — during the time the four victims were held captive. For example, Darrell Wint testified he went to the house of a friend in Gaithersburg that morning and watched a music video his friend had produced. The cell location shows his phone was in Gaithersburg at about 10:24 a.m. on May 13.

Darrell Wint testified that he might have stayed out late drinking at Silver Spring bars on the night of May 13 into the early morning hours of May 14. The cellphone location data shows his phone pinging shortly after 5 a.m. near the Odalis bar.

However, the defense has sought to raise questions about whether Darrell Wint was actually carrying his phone or whether he handed it over to a friend. Defense attorneys argued strenuously Thursday that they should be allowed to put another witness on the stand to further raise questions about Darrell's whereabouts, but the judge denied the request.

Daron Wint took the stand last week, claiming Darrell Wint lured him to the Savopoulos house on the false promise of a painting job, but that he never knew people were being held captive upstairs. Daron Wint also claimed his other brother, Steffon Wint, was involved in the crime.
Neither brother has ever been charged and prosecutors, who rejected the defense's theory, said both of Daron Wint's younger brothers have cooperated with prosecutors.

Closing arguments are set for next week.

by WTOP 11:19AM
DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

Yes. DarrW Goo is a liar.
How could he not think that his lies to the initial detective would not be investigated, which would prove he is a liar!!??
And, NOW he is supposedly telling the truth!? Not for a second do I believe either story of his.

How did he get a receipt from the use of his credit card? Is it fake?

Read about street gangs. They will kill each other over wearing a blue or red colored hat. Members can "build up a rep" by being particularly vicious.
Yes, I understand that.

Why is this particular witness feel threatened in this particular case? I understand security at courthouses in general and I understand gang violence....but this seems very specific and it seems odd to me.

jmo

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
4 hrs ·
LAST DAY OF TESTIMONY in the #MansionMurders Trial!

We saw the return of several witnesses, including Special Agent Richard Fennern member of FBI’s Cellular Analysis Team.

He brought a series of charts showing Darrell Wint’s cell phone location data. The data corresponded to the locations that Wint testified he was at on May 13 and May 14, 2015 - Gaithersburg, Takoma Park, and Silver Spring - not near the crime scene on Woodland Drive NW.

One ping did show his phone in NE DC, near Florida Avenue from 1:32-2:01pm on 5/13 — a location near where Wint testified his girlfriend worked and that he sometimes brought her lunch. Fennern said that still showed the phone was far away from the Savopolous’ home.

A witness from La Fontaine Bleue was also brought back.
Laurie Atkinson watched surveillance video of the shopping center parking lot, recorded around 5pm on May 14.

This was shortly after she testified she saw Daron Wint pacing around the lot and said his behavior made her and a coworker nervous. Atkinson identified her car, and her co-worker’s car in the video, leaving the parking lot. She was asked twice if she saw a minivan in that video. Atkinson said no.

When Daron testified in his defense, he admitted he was the man seen by Atkinson pacing around the parking lot, but he claimed it was after he had his minivan towed there & was looking for the keys.

Amy’s stolen Porsche was found on fire in an adjacent lot - around 5:30 that evening.

A key part of Daron Wint’s alibi is that he was stranded at a friend’s house at 16 Atlantic Street SE on May 13 without his phone or van, that he starting drinking, and that he was sleeping until 10am May 14.

Turns out - DC police responded to that location on May 14 for a report of shots fired that came from the shotspotter system. It was 9:38 am.

Former DC Police Officer Matthew Erd testified he arrived at the location around 10am. Erd, now an officer with Fairfax County, had to rely on his written report because the day, he testified, was not particularly memorable to him. But, Erd said - he was careful about his reports because his supervising officers were very nitpicky.

The report narrative was only 1 line though, saying he responded to the location & found no evidence or witnesses.
Erd told the jury that normal procedure would call for an officer to canvass the scene, then go knock on the door of the address. “How do you knock?” asked prosecutor Christopher Bruckmann. “Loud enough that I can usually wake up an entire apartment building,” responded Erd - demonstrating the motion with a large metal baton.

The report Erd filed that day had no indication that anyone answered the door.

During Daron Wint’s testimony he told prosecutor Laura Bach that he wasn’t “passed out” that morning of May 14 - and would have heard sounds like footsteps or gunshots.

Defense attorneys pointed out that the officer can’t say that he actually knocked on the door if it wasn’t specifically written down in the report.

A witness from American Iron Works verified that Phillip Savopoulous was living in St Croix for many years - because AIW had opened another company there. He said Savvas was the one running the company in Hyattsville during the time Daron Wint was working there.

Finally, Detective Mike Pavero was called back to the stand. He verified the photo of Steffon Wint (with no hair) that the jury has seen - was taken on July 4, 2015.

Pavero also testified about a “burn pile” that was located about 100ft from where the minivan was torched at 51st & Frolich.
The pile had charred remnants of black zip ties, and several metal snaps (like you might find on jeans?) and grommets.
The zip ties were tested for DNA - with no results. Pavero testified that fire often destroys DNA evidence. Fox 5 DC

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
4 hrs ·
LAST DAY OF TESTIMONY in the #MansionMurders Trial!

We saw the return of several witnesses, including Special Agent Richard Fennern member of FBI’s Cellular Analysis Team.

He brought a series of charts showing Darrell Wint’s cell phone location data. The data corresponded to the locations that Wint testified he was at on May 13 and May 14, 2015 - Gaithersburg, Takoma Park, and Silver Spring - not near the crime scene on Woodland Drive NW.

One ping did show his phone in NE DC, near Florida Avenue from 1:32-2:01pm on 5/13 — a location near where Wint testified his girlfriend worked and that he sometimes brought her lunch. Fennern said that still showed the phone was far away from the Savopolous’ home.

A witness from La Fontaine Bleue was also brought back.
Laurie Atkinson watched surveillance video of the shopping center parking lot, recorded around 5pm on May 14.

This was shortly after she testified she saw Daron Wint pacing around the lot and said his behavior made her and a coworker nervous. Atkinson identified her car, and her co-worker’s car in the video, leaving the parking lot. She was asked twice if she saw a minivan in that video. Atkinson said no.

When Daron testified in his defense, he admitted he was the man seen by Atkinson pacing around the parking lot, but he claimed it was after he had his minivan towed there & was looking for the keys.

Amy’s stolen Porsche was found on fire in an adjacent lot - around 5:30 that evening.

A key part of Daron Wint’s alibi is that he was stranded at a friend’s house at 16 Atlantic Street SE on May 13 without his phone or van, that he starting drinking, and that he was sleeping until 10am May 14.

Turns out - DC police responded to that location on May 14 for a report of shots fired that came from the shotspotter system. It was 9:38 am.

Former DC Police Officer Matthew Erd testified he arrived at the location around 10am. Erd, now an officer with Fairfax County, had to rely on his written report because the day, he testified, was not particularly memorable to him. But, Erd said - he was careful about his reports because his supervising officers were very nitpicky.

The report narrative was only 1 line though, saying he responded to the location & found no evidence or witnesses.
Erd told the jury that normal procedure would call for an officer to canvass the scene, then go knock on the door of the address. “How do you knock?” asked prosecutor Christopher Bruckmann. “Loud enough that I can usually wake up an entire apartment building,” responded Erd - demonstrating the motion with a large metal baton.

The report Erd filed that day had no indication that anyone answered the door.

During Daron Wint’s testimony he told prosecutor Laura Bach that he wasn’t “passed out” that morning of May 14 - and would have heard sounds like footsteps or gunshots.

Defense attorneys pointed out that the officer can’t say that he actually knocked on the door if it wasn’t specifically written down in the report.

A witness from American Iron Works verified that Phillip Savopoulous was living in St Croix for many years - because AIW had opened another company there. He said Savvas was the one running the company in Hyattsville during the time Daron Wint was working there.

Finally, Detective Mike Pavero was called back to the stand. He verified the photo of Steffon Wint (with no hair) that the jury has seen - was taken on July 4, 2015.

Pavero also testified about a “burn pile” that was located about 100ft from where the minivan was torched at 51st & Frolich.
The pile had charred remnants of black zip ties, and several metal snaps (like you might find on jeans?) and grommets.
The zip ties were tested for DNA - with no results. Pavero testified that fire often destroys DNA evidence. Fox 5 DC

Metal snaps and grommets - I bet that DW burned the clothes he was wearing when he committed the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member