DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the S family had more vehicles than we know about.

Good point. If he was a judge on the FIA Court of Appeals, does that mean he is or was owner or part owner of a racing vehicle in something like Formula One? I think he has more ties to racing than just his son's interest in go-karts.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I wish we as a society could stop categorizing and demonizing people, poor OR rich. There are plenty of people who feel "entitled" and it has to do with their attitudes and lack of empathy and morals...not their financial situation. I think DW might well be an example of an "entitled" person...because he sure thought he was "entitled" to stuff that belonged to others.

The SS family, while wealthy, felt motivated to help others and give to charities...set up programs to teach the unemployed skills.

"Entitled""belongs to every demographic...not just always "the rich."
That forum's topics are full of people boasting about their riches. I understand that may not have come across in my statement but IMO most of them feel entitled because of their money. I don't look down on the rich or poor. I look at PEOPLE.

I don't want to derail anything so my apologies if I went in a different direction, I just feel that there are so many victims in this crime. It makes me feel sad for all parties involved.

This is such a sad sad situation all around... I really applaud the father for releasing this statement. I read on another forum and they are calling for DW's family to be deported. SMH I know no one will hear their calls but it is a forum full of rich, entitled folks who want DW's family punished for something they had nothing to do with.

They?? Not what I read.

I saw one or two, who were promptly countered by the majority who believe DW's family should be left out of the discussion, are not to blame for his actions, nor should they be deported. Ridiculous imo.

That forum's topics are full of people boasting about their riches. I understand that may not have come across in my statement but IMO most of them feel entitled because of their money. I don't look down on the rich or poor. I look at PEOPLE.

I don't want to derail anything so my apologies if I went in a different direction, I just feel that there are so many victims in this crime. It makes me feel sad for all parties involved.

Thank you for explaining. I feel just as you do...so much devastation.

I read on another forum and they are calling for DW's family to be deported.

Ugh that is disgusting of people. Intolerance like this shows that a proper education doesn't always make you less ignorant.

Dennis Wint's statement is moving. DW (suspect) is an adult and responsible for his own actions.

I agree that an accountant could have withdrawn the money and was possibly told by SS to try and get more during the "flurry of phone calls."

My boss is very wealthy and the co-founder of a still-private (as in, not publicly traded) but highly profitable tech company. Her husband is a co-founder/developer for the most widely-used software in medicine and their accountant can 100% move money from account to account and withdraw large sums of cash without my boss being at the bank.
This accountant is a family friend BUT my boss is somewhat of a paranoid personality so I have always wondered about this.

My high school BFF is a b-list and somewhat well-known actress whose accountant also has access to her accounts. This isa woman that was hired under recommendation of my friend's agency. This is very common in Hollywood where (some) talent rarely sees their bank statements and an accountant/CPA handles all quarterly taxes, investments, etc.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/basicpage/file/20141222/ICA Biographies.pdf

17. Savvas Savoupoulos
(United States)
Savvas P. Savopoulos is a prominent Washington, DC, businessman and member of the bar who graduated from both the University of Maryland and the American University. Mr. Savopoulos is the Chairman of the Board of Sigma Enterprises, Inc., and the CEO of AIW, Inc. (American Iron Works). Mr. Savopoulos wholly owns these, and other, entities. Mr. Savopoulos has a lifelong interest in, and participates in, motorsports.

They?? Not what I read.

I saw one or two, who were promptly countered by the majority who believe DW's family should be left out of the discussion, are not to blame for his actions, nor should they be deported. Ridiculous imo.

They is more than one. As you stated, there were more than one.

Let's not derail the discussion. I feel the way I feel.

:gaah: :pullhair:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29167356/former-wint-attorney
Former Wint attorney: "They should start looking for the guy that really did it"

"They should start looking at people who have been convicted of torturing animals or torturing other people...."There were three communications from the murdered victim's home while they were supposedly being kidnapped. There was a message by the mother to the pizza shop where she gave her credit card and ordered a pizza. There was a message by the murdered man to his company asking for money and then there was another message to a housekeeper telling her not to come. Why didn't someone say, call the police or help during those messages if the people really were being held forcibly? Something should have happened there. They could have gotten the word out," he continued. When asked about Wint's DNA evidence on the pizza crust, Ficker said DNA evidence can sometimes be discredited. "I've had many cases where DNA evidence was thrown out. We don't know exactly where that piece of pizza was or how that DNA got on it, but Daron Wint did not commit any murders. We know that for sure. His family is certain of it."

ETA: bbm - Yes, DC crime lab has had many DNA issues and shut down, but they did NOT do the DNA testing
Already doing another defense atty 101 - ODDI! (Other dude did it)
bbm - Ummm, not from the statement I read from the family

Former Wint attorney: "They should start looking for the guy that really did it"
Yet, DW has been charged at least two times for threatening to do exactly what was done to the S family. He was accused of threatening both his own family and then another young women and her small child.
This lawyer is poisoning the jury pool because he knows DW is in deep doo. IMO.

New information from the investigation in the quadruple murder in a wealthy Washington, D.C., neighborhood reveals the suspects were converting large amounts of cash into money orders, trying to hide the extortion money dropped on the Savopoulos doorstep, CBS News' Wyatt Andrews reports.

When Daron Wint was arrested last Thursday night, police found evidence that at least two of the five people with him were helping him move or spend part of the cash extorted from Savvas Savopoulos.

Five men and women who were taken into custody and later released were using money orders police say were visible inside the truck Wint was following. They say those money orders were paid for with $100 bills, "consistent with the denomination...delivered to the...residence prior to the homicide."

According to court documents, one of the occupants in the car with Wint "admitted to purchasing money orders after the murders" estimated "to exceed $10,000." Another person in the truck admitted he was "providing cash" to buy the money orders.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/washing...ily-housekeeper-new-information/#postComments

snip

Roscoe Howard, former U.S. attorney for D.C., said that although the five were released, they remain under investigation.

"They can be watched the way you or I can be watched. Once you're on the street there is nothing to keep the police from listening to your phone calls, with of course permission, a wiretap, following you, doing whatever they can do to any individual who's out on the street," Howard said.

At the time of their release, none of the five was suspected of helping or being present at the crime scene.

All this about whether he's the one who physically did the actual murders really doesn't matter as whether or not they can prove Wint physically did it, it was still part of a violent felony where you'd still get the same sentence. Ficker is also begging for a backlash by suggesting that the S family wasn't being held captive. However, the actual legal comments that Ficker says is true and I do hope LE have more than a DNA from a pizza crust to show that Wint was there during the kidnapping rather than a participant who got involved after the fact, which would still be a serious sentence but not nearly as bad.

I think investigators have much more information than they have released in this case and a working theory as to motive. They have to eliminate several people, sift through a great deal of evidence from the scene still as well as follow paper trails, and get all their ducks in a row before they make charges. I think they are being cautious not to prejudice the case and to be sure that charges stick. The forensic testing alone is going to be extensive; then there is interviewing and re-interviewing; accounting for possessions in the house, possibly forensic accounting for the businesses, and if fencing of goods is involved, following the chain on that. JMO

All this about whether he's the one who physically did the actual murders really doesn't matter as whether or not they can prove Wint physically did it, it was still part of a violent felony where you'd still get the same sentence. Ficker is also begging for a backlash by suggesting that the S family wasn't being held captive. However, the actual legal comments that Ficker says is true and I do hope LE have more than a DNA from a pizza crust to show that Wint was there during the kidnapping rather than a participant who got involved after the fact, which would still be a serious sentence but not nearly as bad.

Yep, the things that he are saying *mostly* are true ..... things learned in defense atty class 101 of what to say upon arrest to spin spin spin with soundbites....

:thinking: Is this post suggesting that a defense would be that if Wint just dropped by, ate some pizza while they were being held, and then left before murders, that it is different in the eyes of the law for a felony murder charge? :notgood: :notgood: :notgood: Not the way it works :moo:

The pizza boxes were time stamped 9:14 and were in the bedroom with the 3 adults. Only one pizza was partially-partially eaten.

Some reports said that video from inside the home was erased. I'd like to know who erased the video and how. Or was this system simply deactivated and there was never any video. If it was erased...might there be some memory that hasnt been overwritten? Perhaps, the security system electronics were not burnt in the fire. Also, if it was wireless, do these systems send the data to a backup file on the internet or an in home computer? Anyone know how it might work?

I don't think this has one thing to do with his business affairs. There is nothing supporting he was a different person in business relationships. Most million dollar company files lawsuits of some kind. It doesn't mean he was nasty and ruthless either. I am sure if he sued the friend he had a good reason for doing so. Friends aren't exempt nor should they be.
And it isn't uncommon for companies to be late in filing reports or paying for business license.

It makes me feel very sad that there is even rank speculation about Savvas implying he was something other than what everyone has said about him that personally knew him.:(

Somehow it just seems so unfair to me to judge him from afar when he cant defend himself and based on what?

I totally agree with you. Business + lawsuits = very very very common. The businesses were all in good standing tax-wise, and for what it's worth businesses often get audited and you may end up having to pay more $$ to the IRS- they use the "tax lien" to do this- but it sounds worse than it is- it just means you owe more money. Yeah, if you don't pay it for a LONG time, they will do whatever they can to recover it, but it was paid off very quickly.

This is all normal business practice.

And furthermore making the leap from "lawsuits or tax things" to viciously killing and torturing this family is ridonkulous.

Please, stop the skepticism against this guy. I've noticed several posts alluding to the fact that he was rich so he must be involved in something criminal and that's obviously what caused this.

No, criminal scumbags caused this. The victims were good innocent kind and well-liked by everyone. Let's not blame the victims here cariis.

:thinking: Is this post suggesting that a defense would be that if Wint just dropped by, ate some pizza while they were being held, and then left before murders, that it is different in the eyes of the law for a felony murder charge? :notgood: :notgood: :notgood: Not the way it works :moo:

That is a felony murder charge - felony murder is being guilty of murder even if you didn't do the murder itself, like just participating in the kidnapping makes you just as guilty of the murders that happen during the kidnapping. What I suggested was that if the pizza DNA got thrown out, that Ficker could say at best Wint was an accessory after the fact, which has a far lighter sentence and that I hoped they had more evidence than that to place DW on scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard