Presumed Located DC - TiJae Baker, Left East New York for Washington, D.C.

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
EAST NEW YORK, BROOKLYN — A 23-year-old woman has been missing more than a week in East New York, according to police.

Tijae Baker was last seen around 3:30 p.m. leaving her home on Wortman Avenue near Van Siclen Avenue on Sunday, May 1, according to police.

An alert was sent out about Baker late Monday, May 9.

Baker stands approximately 5'7" tall, weighs approximately 130 pounds and has brown eyes and black hair, police said. She was last seen wearing a black sweater, gray shorts, and a white top.

1207-22-missing-75-pct-5-1-22___10095736945.jpg

Updated information. She went to Washington DC for a visit that day, and was last seen at the Union Station Bus Terminal in DC.

Cops are looking for a 23-year-old Brooklyn woman who hasn't been seen in three weeks -- and while they haven't said they suspect foul play in her case, they do find her disappearance to be troubling, based on her history, police sources said Thursday.

Tijae Baker was last seen leaving her Wortman Avenue home in the middle of the afternoon -- around 3:30 p.m. -- on Sunday, May 1, according to the NYPD.

A man purporting to be a good friend of Baker's mother said the young woman just graduated and had gone to Washington, D.C., for a visit that day. She went missing after that, the man said, and was last seen at Union Station Bus Terminal in DC.

No one has heard from Baker since.

DC police say they are aware of Baker's case and are circulating her missing person flyers locally. Police sources in New York say Baker has no history of vanishing and describe her disappearance right now as a mystery.

She is said to be about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 130 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.

Baker was last seen wearing a black sweater, gray shorts and a white top, police said. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.

The video at the link includes surveillance video from a salon in MD where TiJae was seen on June 1, and from where she phoned her family and asked her grandmother to send her mother to rescue her. The video also includes a picture of the woman who asked TiJae to come to Washington DC to make posters for her (TiJae is an artist.)

BROOKLYN, New York (WABC) -- A family is searching for answers after a young woman from Brooklyn vanished after taking a bus to Washington D.C. to make posters for someone she met online.

TiJae Baker, a budding artist, was in her final semester of college.

The 23-year-old lived at home with her mother, but now she's missing.

"After this rally, I'm going back out there. I'm going to find my daughter," mother Toquanna Baker said.

The nightmare began on May 1. TiJae took the bus to Washington D.C. supposedly to do some posters for a woman she had met online. Then came the nightmare of silence.

"Where's my daughter? She got off at Union Station D.C.," Toquanna Baker said.

The desperate family filed numerous police reports but complain the first police flier put their missing person on a wanted poster.

Eventually, the mother found some leads and was given surveillance video which she shared with Eyewitness News reporter Lucy Yang.

Eyewitness News was told TiJae called from a phone in a salon on June 1, and in a whispered and scared voice begged to be rescued.

"She said just tell her mother to come get her -- now," grandmother Roxanne Baker said.

By the time they raced to Maryland, TiJae was gone.

The mother tells Lucy Yang, she has tracked down the woman who initially asked her daughter to come D.C. She fears her only child may have stepped into some kind of cult.

"We believe more needs to be done," councilmember Charles Barron said.

"We are asking for justice to make sure Ms. Baker comes home," councilmember Darlene Mealy said.

TiJae Baker's mother said she hasn't been sleeping at all.

"It's been over a month," she said. "I just want my child to return."

It's a mother's desperate cry.

I think that this is a very concerning case. It doesn't seen likely that TiJae would voluntarily disappear in her last semester of college. It is also concerning (and unfortunately not uncommon) that it is the family that has done most of the investigating.

TiJae's mother is worried that she might have stepped into a cult, but I would be more worried about trafficking. I wonder what the mother found out about the woman who asked TiJae to come to Washington DC, and if that is what makes her think that it might be cult related.

It is good news that TiJae was alive on June 1, but I don't understand about the phone call. It wonder why she called her family instead of calling 911 -- and I wonder why her mother didn't call the police in MD and ask them to go to the salon. Even though I wonder why LE wasn't contacted first, I've have read about other cases where people in dangerous situations phone their family before, or instead of, LE, so I guess it's not all that unusual.

(NEW YORK) — TiJae Baker, 23, took a train from New York City to Washington, D.C., on May 1 and has yet to return to home.

Her mother, Toquanna Baker, is desperate to find her daughter. She told ABC News that the details of TiJae Baker’s disappearance have led her to believe she may have been dragged into a human trafficking scheme.

“After this rally, I’m going right back out there, because I’m going to find my daughter,” Toquanna Baker said at a rally Monday, according to New York ABC station WABC.

TiJae is an up-and-coming artist in Brooklyn and a student in her final year of college. She went to D.C. to apparently make posters for a woman she met online, her mother said.

NYPD_TiJaeBaker_060722.jpg

More at Brooklyn woman missing for over a month after visiting woman she met online - Connect FM | Local News Radio | Dubois, PA

ETA: There's already a thread for TiJae created by me earlier, NY - NY - Tijae Baker, 23, Brooklyn, 1 May 2022 I've asked for this thread to be merged.

Last edited:
Hoping she will be found soon, and hoping she is okay, healthy and glad to be back with her mom.
This one, as usual, scares me. A young, sweet, pretty and talented girl with a loving and caring mom. Prayers for both of them to be back with each other soon.

This one is definitely odd. I personally doubt the trafficking angle, young women targeted for that are generally in their teens with no close family, allowing them to be "groomed". As a 23-year-old with a college education and being a much-loved daughter, she would not be a prime target for that, though it can't be ruled out. Also, if she was being held against her will, why did she not call police, or 911 when she had access to a phone in that salon rather than call someone many miles away. I hope she is safe, and I hope her family finds answers soon.

This one is definitely odd. I personally doubt the trafficking angle, young women targeted for that are generally in their teens with no close family, allowing them to be "groomed". As a 23-year-old with a college education and being a much-loved daughter, she would not be a prime target for that, though it can't be ruled out. Also, if she was being held against her will, why did she not call police, or 911 when she had access to a phone in that salon rather than call someone many miles away. I hope she is safe, and I hope her family finds answers soon.
I am by no means speaking ill of the police, but I'd call my mom before the cops even if my mom was 3 hours away, and it would still be a crapshoot as to who shows up first in some places. I'm lucky where I live now cops come instantly, but in the major city about 4 miles where I lived for 10 years, I'm not holding my breath for the cops to show up, let alone in a timely fashion. I was flabbergasted by police response time in large cities and honestly if she is from NYC she probably feels the same way and weighed out the options and she felt mom was more likely to rescue her.

Mystery as woman, 23, makes cryptic call to be rescued a month after accepting a new job online and vanishing | The Sun

Brooklyn mother Toquanna Baker desperately searching for daughter Tijae Baker, missing since May 1 (msn.com)
NEW YORK - A family is desperately searching for answers in the disappearance of young woman from Brooklyn who hasn't been seen in more than a month.

The mother of 23-year-old Tijae Baker says her daughter vanished after accepting a job offer online and traveling to another state.

Her mother has been looking for her ever since.

"My baby is out there, and traumatized and scared," Toquanna Baker told CBS2's Natalie Duddridge.

Toquanna Baker hasn't seen her daughter since May 1. She says Tijae Baker took a bus from Wortman Avenue, where she lives, to Washington, D.C. for a weekend art job.

"She just did a pop-up shop, an art pop-up shop. She's very humble. She's the sweetest person," Toquanna Baker said.

She says Tijae is an art major in college. Her artwork is posted on her Instagram page.

Woman missing for over a month after visiting woman she met online (msn.com)
TiJae Baker, 23, took a train from New York City to Washington, D.C., on May 1 and has yet to return to home.

Her mother, Toquanna Baker, is desperate to find her daughter. She told ABC News that the details of TiJae Baker’s disappearance have led her to believe she may have been dragged into a human trafficking scheme.

“After this rally, I’m going right back out there, because I’m going to find my daughter,” Toquanna Baker said at a rally Monday, according to New York ABC station WABC.

Toquanna Baker said she fears for her daughter, saying the disappearance is not getting much attention because TiJae is a Black woman.

“I haven’t slept at all,” Toquanna Baker told WABC.

Toquanna Baker said she provided the identity of the girl TiJae Baker went to visit to police.

Last edited:
From The Sun, her making the urgent phone call in the nail salon:
NINTCHDBPICT000738986661.jpg

Toquanna shared surveillance footage from the salon reportedly showing her daughter pacing around and on the phone.

The mom also claimed she tracked down the woman who offered her daughter the job and worries that her daughter unwillingly joined a cult.

"For somebody to lure my daughter into another state. I have to deal with this, and this is going to affect my daughter's life forever," Toquanna told CBS News.

Who is the woman she went to meet??

This article says:
"Sources say she had been with a woman named Radisha Brown, and was last seen on May 1".

"The mother tells Lucy Yang, she has tracked down the woman who initially asked her daughter to come D.C. She fears her only child may have stepped into some kind of cult."
Ohhh no no no nooo. Yikes.
If this is true, it may mean she's alive, which would be the best possible outcome after being missing for over a month.

I think that this is a very concerning case. It doesn't seen likely that TiJae would voluntarily disappear in her last semester of college. It is also concerning (and unfortunately not uncommon) that it is the family that has done most of the investigating.

TiJae's mother is worried that she might have stepped into a cult, but I would be more worried about trafficking. I wonder what the mother found out about the woman who asked TiJae to come to Washington DC, and if that is what makes her think that it might be cult related.

It is good news that TiJae was alive on June 1, but I don't understand about the phone call. It wonder why she called her family instead of calling 911 -- and I wonder why her mother didn't call the police in MD and ask them to go to the salon. Even though I wonder why LE wasn't contacted first, I've have read about other cases where people in dangerous situations phone their family before, or instead of, LE, so I guess it's not all that unusual.
I agree. If you need rescued you would call 911, I think. Calling someone in another city would mean a long delay in most cases.

She may have felt embarrassed calling 911, especially if this is a cult. She may need help, but not the kind that shows up with uniforms and weapons IMO. I’m sure we all remember how Elizabeth Smart denied her identity at first.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back