DC - Two teen girls charged with murder in carjacking death of Uber Eats driver, Mar 2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c29dee-8c96-11eb-a6bd-0eb91c03305a_story.html

Excerpts from the news article (above):

"Anwar, who lived in Springfield, was thrown from the vehicle. Police said the teens ran but were quickly apprehended by police with the help of a nearby member of the National Guard. Anwar died at a hospital.

His family members said in a statement that they are “devastated by this senseless crime.”

They said Anwar had three grown children — two in the United States and one in Pakistan — and four grandchildren, also in his homeland. He is also survived by his wife.

He immigrated in 2014 “to build a better life for himself and his family,” the statement says."

"The family wrote that Anwar was a “friend who always provided a smile when you needed one.”

Last edited:
Commander Kyle of DC Police Criminal Investigations says that the girls were involved in something similar in January where they were arrested.

A few months ago!

Commander Kyle speaks about this starting at 2:17 time of the following video from Fox News:

Shocking video shows deadly DC Uber Eats carjacking by teen girls

Omg! They had already carjacked just a few months ago before they finally wound up killing this poor man???

Its sickening even if found guilty they will be out on the streets again in a few short years.

Imo, if they've done it twice already when they get out they will do it again for they learned nothing the first time. Ugh!

Jmho

*Please note that I have requested mods to remove the attached video to show respect to the late Mr. Anwar and his family. It was disrespectful of me to include it in my earlier post.

To see Commander Kyle's words - they can be found on the internet.

All I wanted to share was Commander Kyle's words but unfortunately the carjacking part of the video is embedded within it.

I apologize to everyone about this.
Zen
I had the misfortune of seeing that video (not from your link). I didn’t realize it was going to show the victim’s actual death. It is kind of you to request it to be removed.

Teens suspected in Navy Yard carjacking in court | wusa9.com

(The above video only has a reporter describing what happened along with the numbers of carjackings spike in D.C. from last year)

"An MPD detective says one girl admitted going to Navy Yard station with the intent to steal a car. She blames the other girl for jamming the car in gear, swinging the steering wheel, and crushing Anwar to death, according to the detective."

Last edited:
Omg! They had already carjacked just a few months ago before they finally wound up killing this poor man???

Its sickening even if found guilty they will be out on the streets again in a few short years.

Imo, if they've done it twice already when they get out they will do it again for they learned nothing the first time. Ugh!

Jmho

Dear @oceanblueeyes,

In my opinion, the key would be Court Orders for counselling and follow-up with juveniles when they've been arrested for a serious crime.

Perhaps this possibly could have prevented these two young girls from repeating their "similar" crimes from January (as per Commander Kyle, D.C.)

Court-ordered counselling and follow-up for juveniles at their first serious offence could change some of their lives around. JMO

With all due respect to Commander Kyle, I don't agree with his statement that the juveniles' carjackings are due to lack of after-school sports.

Of the thousands and thousands of young teens in D.C., less than 20 have been charged with carjackings this year. (I wish the number was "0")

In my opinion it's not due to lack of after-school sports or there would be thousands. Doesn't make sense to me. Counselling and follow-up programs would help these kids and that makes sense to me. Maybe it wouldn't turn all of their lives around but could halt a majority of them from continuing on with crime.

I have not seen the word "counselling" for the juveniles arrested in any of the articles I've found. I find that deeply saddening because I believe it would make a difference in many circumstances.

JMO

D.C. Police Department talks carjacking task force progress | WDVM25 & DCW50 | Washington, DC

"The investigation has shown that many perpetrators are juveniles as young as 14 years old. “There really just isn’t the opportunities out there for young people to be engaged, such as after-school sports,” Commander Kyle said.

Last edited:
Dear @oceanblueeyes,

In my opinion, the key would be Court Orders for counselling and follow-up with juveniles when they've been arrested for a serious crime.

Perhaps this possibly could have prevented these two young girls from repeating their "similar" crimes from January (as per Commander Kyle, D.C.)

Court-ordered counselling and follow-up for juveniles at their first serious offence could change some of their lives around. JMO

As I said before, counseling ain't gonna fix these gals. They are already hard core criminals INMO. They showed zero empathy or even hesitation before killing a man.

As I said before, counseling ain't gonna fix these gals. They are already hard core criminals INMO. They showed zero empathy or even hesitation before killing a man.
Developmental psycholgy more-or-less agrees. If they've not learnt to play nice by that age, they probably never will, although it's a sad thing to contemplate. :(

With all due respect to Commander Kyle, I don't agree with his statement that the juveniles' carjackings are due to lack of after-school sports.

Of the thousands and thousands of young teens in D.C., less than 20 have been charged with carjackings this year. (I wish the number was "0")

In my opinion it's not due to lack of after-school sports or there would be thousands. Doesn't make sense to me. Counselling and follow-up programs would help these kids and that makes sense to me. Maybe it wouldn't turn all of their lives around but could halt a majority of them from continuing on with crime.

I have not seen the word "counselling" for the juveniles arrested in any of the articles I've found. I find that deeply saddening because I believe it would make a difference in many circumstances.

JMO

D.C. Police Department talks carjacking task force progress | WDVM25 & DCW50 | Washington, DC

"The investigation has shown that many perpetrators are juveniles as young as 14 years old. “There really just isn’t the opportunities out there for young people to be engaged, such as after-school sports,” Commander Kyle said.

Morning my sweet Zen, and all!

This article really infuriates me. No excuses should ever be given to these teens. It sends a terrible message to not only the teens who killed this innocent victim, but to other teens out there as well who may be thinking of doing something similar.

The way he phrases it is just as offensive as Juan Williams' dismissive excuse.

There is simply no excuse for what they did. None.

Fgs! As you've said there are thousands of children who aren't out doing crimes. If they are given excuses what incentives do they have to do better or not do crimes at all when they know excuses are always made? None, imo.

I don't believe these two teens can change even if given help.

Has the parents of the teens who killed this man spoken out in the media or contacted the grieving family to tell them how heartbroken they are that he was killed by their children?

The plea deal is disgusting. It really doesn't hold them accountable imo.

I still feel once allowed out on the streets again they will do more crimes, because they've learned nothing, and have been given merely slap on the hand with a feather.

It leaves a terrible message for other teens for they know if they carjack someone even killing the victim nothing really will be done to any of them, and instead excuses will be made for the horrible crimes they've done.

Imo, by making excuses it gives other teens the impression they can do crimes too, and excuses will be made for them too.

We already know we are seeing crimes skyrocket all across our nation, and many involve teen criminals.

Foolish plea deals like this only emboldens more teen criminal to do more crimes making them feel untouchable.

Again, sadly I do not feel any kind of help will help these two. By now at their age they are who they are, and who they will continue to be.

All teens should be taught that all human life is valued, and precious.

How many teen killers have we already seen who does the most sadistic murders and/or rapes who never exhibited one ounce of regret or remorse for what they've done? Way too many to count. And imo, teen violent crimes are rising.

These teens are the same. Imo, neither has shown any remorse or regret that their own criminal activity lead to a totally innocent man being killed because of their actions.

They also do what other adult offenders do when it's more than one, and that is to place blame on the other one when both were all in on the hijacking.

Jmhoo

Last edited:
This is so horrible.

It's too bad they couldn't be tried as adults under these circumstances because having a taser with them shows planning.

It's just so wicked. Another Dad that won't be home for Easter morning. Deeply saddening.

I agree. The carjacking was premeditated. Did they use a taser in january? If not, they not only premeditated this one, but brought a weapon to be used against the unsuspecting victim.

Any carjacking that winds up killing or injuring the victim should be tried in an adult court.

In many states it would be.

What is the cutoff age in WDC where teen offenders are tried as an adult? TIA!

Imo

I agree. The carjacking was premeditated. Did they use a taser in january? If not, they not only premeditated this one, but brought a weapon to be used against the unsuspecting victim.

Any carjacking that winds up killing or injuring the victim should be tried in an adult court.

In many states it would be.

What is the cutoff age in WDC where teen offenders are tried as an adult? TIA!

Imo

I don't know. The justification of not charging juveniles as adults is that juveniles do not have fully developed "brains" to realize the consequences of their actions. I say, hogwash. Their brains were "developed" enough to plan and execute a car jacking.

I used to work with children like this, referred to Special Education, because they just couldn't handle kids like this in regular schools. Their only "disability" used to be classified as "Conduct Disorder", they have probably changed the terminology.

These gals are probably savvy enough to be wide eyed and tearful during questions. "Oh, I drove away because I was afraid of the man.". Of course. It was "Self Defense". Poor girls. That man yelled at them. (When they were stealing his car.).

Here are some links for DC crime

District Crime Data at a Glance | mpdc

Washington, DC Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

DC homicide rate highest since 2004 | WTOP

murder is up as are car jackings. I’m not a criminal so I don’t know what they want to do with the stolen cars. As in other cities with increasing crimes over the past year or so, the criminals are getting younger as well. I am sure not being in school is fueling some of it; not an excuse of course, but a contributor.

the activities of the past year have reinforced that much criminal behavior will have little to no consequences for the most part so imo, that is also a contributor. No deterrent, criminals take what they want. My own opinion of course.

What did Teens Use - Taser or Stun Gun?
From linked article* "... 13 and 15-year-old teenagers charged with using a Taser in the armed fatal carjacking
...'Whether they’ve – whether there’s a gun used in this case. In this case there’s no firearm, it was a stun gun...,' said Lotze."<--- defense atty. sbm bbm rbm

Sooo, teens were charged w "armed fatal carjacking" but def atty says "no firearm" just a stun gun. Appears imo, in DC*** only ppl who are 18 y/o + may possess stun guns. These teens were 13 & 15.

What am I missing? TiA.

** "Though the two terms are often used interchangeably, stun guns are actually direct contact weapons that work mainly through pain compliance by affecting the sensory nervous system.[1] It can also cause some muscular disruption, but that generally requires 3–5 seconds of direct contact.[2] ... a TASER device is a long range weapon...."
"...Legality: TASER devices are considered the same as firearms by the United States government for the purposes of the Second Amendment protection..." Electroshock weapon - Wikipedia
*** "... A person 18 years or older may possess a stun gun in the District of Columbia; it may only be used to protect themselves or their property."
Mace, Pepper Spray, Self-Defense Sprays and Stun Guns | mpdc
Also: Gun laws in the District of Columbia - Wikipedia

Commander Kyle of DC Police Criminal Investigations says that the girls were involved in something similar in January where they were arrested.

A few months ago!

Of course they were. Plus other crimes we'll never hear about.

Lack of sports due to Covid? More than half the kids in the country are missing sports. Do they carjack, and murder?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Awfuldreamer
Back