DE DE - Mary Ann Knightly, 28, Bear, 18 February 1998

Thewop356

Reaction score
Mary Ann Knightly was last seen alive in the company of her husband at their Bear home at 1517 DuPont Highway on February 18th 1998.

Mary Ann Knightly
  • mary_ann_knightly_1.jpg
  • mary_ann_knightly_2.jpg
Mary Ann, circa 1998

• Missing Since02/18/1998
  • Missing FromBear, Delaware
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth03/22/1969 (52)
  • Age28 years old
  • Height and Weight5'9, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionBlack tights and a brown leather jacket with a fur collar.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Mary Ann has a scar on her abdomen and a scar over her right eye.
Details of Disappearance
Mary Ann was last seen with her husband, Roy, at their home in the 1500 block of Du Pont Highway in Bear, Delaware at 11:30 p.m. on February 18, 1998.

Roy stated Mary Ann packed a bag, saying she needed to get away for awhile and was going to go visit her sister in Florida. He fell asleep, and when he woke up at 1:30 a.m., she was gone. She never arrived in Florida.

Mary Ann had borrowed a van from her mother on the evening of February 18, saying she would return it the next day. Roy gave it back, saying Mary Ann had asked him to return it for her. It isn't clear how she intended to get to Florida, and Roy didn't know how much money she had with her when she disappeared.

Mary Ann had previously left home for up to three days at a time without saying where she was going. Her mother reported her missing on February 26. Roy has been named a person of interest in Mary Ann's case, and he was never cleared of suspicion. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance, which remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Delaware State Police
Source Information
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 29, 2017; picture added, clothing/jewelry description and details of disappearance updated.

I cant believe there was not a thread already for Mary Ann Knightly, especially considering the circumstances involving her disappearance. I searched Websleuths as best I could and I saw her mentioned as possibilities for some UIDs, but no thread. Does anyone have any other info regarding Mary Ann's case? I am local (literally residing less than 2 miles from where she was reported missing) and am gonna start researching her case. Any additional info anyone has or finds would be greatly appreciated.

Thewop356..have you come across anything in regards to this case?
Unfortunately, I have heard nothing.

I cant believe there was not a thread already for Mary Ann Knightly, especially considering the circumstances involving her disappearance. I searched Websleuths as best I could and I saw her mentioned as possibilities for some UIDs, but no thread. Does anyone have any other info regarding Mary Ann's case? I am local (literally residing less than 2 miles from where she was reported missing) and am gonna start researching her case. Any additional info anyone has or finds would be greatly appreciated.
I am in the local area as well, if I'm correct on the address. Some refer to it as Bear, some New Castle. Thewop356, is this near St. George's?

I too am local and a little confused on the location....Bear or New Castle (?)
If at the Dupont Hwy split, would you head left or right....this is where the direction of the location gets a little confusing for me.

I too am local and a little confused on the location....Bear or New Castle (?)
If at the Dupont Hwy split, would you head left or right....this is where the direction of the location gets a little confusing for me.
Heading south from Wilmington past all New Castle area. When you get to the split go to the left to stay on Rt 13 south. The right is Rt 40 which goes to Bear. The Bear area is very confusing. It gets mingled also with Newark. Rt 72 (wrangle hill rd) connects with 13 on one end and 40 on the other end with only a few miles in between. I believe the house to be on 13 only a couple miles north of the town of St. George's & the St. George's bridge which crosses the C&D canal. Hope this helps.

There are 2 things I found online that make me wonder. First, this little clip posted on a page from . I have not found it on that site. Does that mean someone pulled it off of there?
Second, when I did a name search, it brings up records that show multiple home addresses & info as tho she were still alive. I'm sure its the same person as it references her husband & childrens names. Does that mean someone is still using her name? She hasnt been declared legally dead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_051204_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_051204_Facebook.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230929_123441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_123441_Chrome.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 20
There are 2 things I found online that make me wonder. First, this little clip posted on a page from . I have not found it on that site. Does that mean someone pulled it off of there?
Second, when I did a name search, it brings up records that show multiple home addresses & info as tho she were still alive. I'm sure its the same person as it references her husband & childrens names. Does that mean someone is still using her name? She hasnt been declared legally dead?
I've encountered this too, and I feel like a lot of these sites are just "automatic," like they just run on information that's already public. For instance, I've found people I know are dead, but these sites make it seem like they're just living their best life right now.

In this case, though, I'm definitely suspicious of the husband. I understand that "Mary Ann had previously left home for up to three days at a time without saying where she was going," but who are we getting this information from? 'Cause the husband could've easily lied about that just to cover his tracks.

I'm prob being overly suspicious in looking at every little thing. But, Mary's name does not come up under the DE State Police unsolved cases anywhere. Mary's husband Roy didn't report her missing until 8 days after she was last seen. And why was her NAMUS case not created until 12 years later on March 28, 2010? I know things take time but that's a bit of a stretch! It just seems as tho there was little attention then & now on her case.

It's in Bear off of Rt 7
It is sort of off Rt 7, as Rt 7 runs into 13 (Dupont Hwy.) Early article gave address as 1517 Dupont Highway. It did not specify north or south but its south since they have referred to Bear. Just to clarify, realtor sites refer to this address as both New Castle 19720 & St. George's 19733. Attached a small map showing that address is on S. Dupont Hwy (Rt 13) between Rt 72 (Wrangle Hill rd, which is Bear) & St. Georges (small town & bridge crossing over the C&D Canal). I wanted to clarify the exact location so that everyone understands the likelihood of a very close possible dumping site, the canal. It's only about a mile or so from the residence. It's a ship route connecting the Chesapeake Bay to the Delaware River. It has dirt roads along both north & south sides of it, in some places 3 levels, some areas are forest & fields, & pretty much deserted at night. At one time there were a few piers used by fisherman & partyers, and pull over spots. Even during the day there's little traffic. Imo she was either dropped into the water or buried in any number of secluded places in that area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012_095616_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231012_095616_Chrome.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 6

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online