DE DE - Tina Kemp, 14, Felton, 3 Feb 1979

It's good to see family members and locals are still advocating for Tina's case. Thanks to them and all the other's caring. Tina crossed my mind many times in the last couple of years. Her face immediately pops up in my mind, when I hear the name.

Some questions/observations: Don't want to hurt anybody. Forgive me if I'm to bold.
- What was the actual missing date? In the beginning there was some confusion about the year. Now (for me) there is confusion about the missing day. Family members tell some of Tina's sisters were at home when she went missing. Was it a Saturday (the 3th of Feb. was a Saturday) or a school day? Maybe some sisters already finished their education?
- Who was with Tina when the laundry was done? Tina was helping. Who was she helping? What kind of exchange was there. I'm just curious what happened at that the exact moment Tina went off.
- Tried to find some historical weather information. Some severe snowstorms are mentioned. I couldn't find the one that hit Delaware in February 1979. There is no reason for disbelieve, but what are the facts? Maybe I didn't search good enough.
- She ran away a couple of times, before she went missing. Case files say everything was ok, she was attached to her boyfriend (Eric, according to the leather strap on her wrist?) What was the reason? Was she a rebellious child, wanting to explore the world? Was there some kind of abuse, she kept for herself. Children don't tend to run away from home without a reason. Just wondering, what made her leave that day. Did somebody actually see her leaving? Or was there a situation, blocked from view that she could have been abducted?
- Was this wanted sex offender in the neighborhood when she went missing? Before that?
- Just trying to get a picture of the actual surroundings, back then in the 70's. Main Street doesn't sound rural agricultural to me. Some files refer to that. Can family/locals explain this please to me?

So to answer a few of your questions that I can with certainty...the last day she was seen alive was February 3, 1979 and it was most certainly a Saturday. It was also the day before a huge snowstorm hit the east coast on February 4th. I verified the missing date with the PIC of Tina's case some years back. I can personally verify the snowstorm because I lived just outside of Felton when it hit and it was BAD!!! Because it was so many years ago, I verified through research that the storm I am thinking of hit our area on February 4th 1979. She was seen leaving her house by her sisters at around 9am. Either the sisters didnt know or the PIC of Tina's case couldnt tell me, but as far as I know, nobody knew her intended destination. She lived off of Main Street in Felton. That does not mean she lived on Main Street. There were dozens of houses that were on side roads off of Main Street. I had a few friends in 1980-81 that I played baseball with that lived over that way. Main Street was not necessarily busy, but I bet there was someone with eyes on her and just didnt think anything of it. As it is today it was in 1979 that there was a school there, that almost always had something going on, even on Saturdays and there was a pretty busy post office that my parents even used. I am not sure if there was a fire Department on Main Street back in 79, but there is now and if there wasn't in 79, I bet there was one very close. Main Street was less than a mile long back in 79 and prolly still is today. It is actually RT12 that crosses US13 to the west. It does connect directly with US13 which is where I would have to assume if she was abducted or picked up by a stranger it would have been there. There were a few corner stores on US13 near Felton , but not much else in 79. It was really rural. I am pretty sure there was a truck stop somewhere close by, but I can't place it out of memory (I will look it up in the next couple days).
Unfortunately I personally do not know why she ran away twice previously or even if she actually did because it is not in LE files, which prolly means that someone actually told LE that she ran away previously and they were credible. I also dont know anything about her personal life as she was 9-10 years older than me.
The now registered sex offender that has been discussed, was not registered or convicted of any child abuse crimes as of February 1979, but he was accused not much after that in the early 80s (which in my opinion means he just didnt get caught until then because he was an adult in 1979). Whether or not he was in the area is a question we are trying to get answered now. The accusation is that this sex offender had a neice who was good friends with Tina and that he was in Felton because his father had just passed away. This neice says that this sex offender allegedly sexually abused her and her sisters relentlessy and she thinks he is involved in Tina Faye Kemp's abduction.
These are all just allegations that we are in the process of trying to validate, but some of them have been validated. For instance...he was know to frequent and even live in Felton and surrounding areas for years before and after Tina's disappearance. Also he was charged with child abuse in the early 80s (I do not know if he was convicted) in the area of Felton, DE. Then finally he was convicted of a sex crime against a child in the early 00s in Kent County DE which is the county that Felton is in. I am hoping that I can validate some of these accusations, so that this guys can either be definitively ruled out or be added to the suspect list...maybe even officialy if we get really lucky.

Last edited:
So to answer a few of your questions that I can with certainty...the last day she was seen alive was February 3, 1979 and it was most certainly a Saturday. It was also the day before a huge snowstorm hit the east coast on February 4th. I verified the missing date with the PIC of Tina's case some years back. I can personally verify the snowstorm because I lived just outside of Felton when it hit and it was BAD!!! Because it was so many years ago, I verified through research that the storm I am thinking of hit our area on February 4th 1979. She was seen leaving her house by her sisters at around 9am. Either the sisters didnt know or the PIC of Tina's case couldnt tell me, but as far as I know, nobody knew her intended destination. She lived off of Main Street in Felton. That does not mean she lived on Main Street. There were dozens of houses that were on side roads off of Main Street. I had a few friends in 1980-81 that I played baseball with that lived over that way. Main Street was not necessarily busy, but I bet there was someone with eyes on her and just didnt think anything of it. As it is today it was in 1979 that there was a school there, that almost always had something going on, even on Saturdays and there was a pretty busy post office that my parents even used. I am not sure if there was a fire Department on Main Street back in 79, but there is now and if there wasn't in 79, I bet there was one very close. Main Street was less than a mile long back in 79 and prolly still is today. It is actually RT12 that crosses US13 to the west. It does connect directly with US13 which is where I would have to assume if she was abducted or picked up by a stranger it would have been there. There were a few corner stores on US13 near Felton , but not much else in 79. It was really rural. I am pretty sure there was a truck stop somewhere close by, but I can't place it out of memory (I will look it up in the next couple days).
Unfortunately I personally do not know why she ran away twice previously or even if she actually did because it is not in LE files, which prolly means that someone actually told LE that she ran away previously and they were credible. I also dont know anything about her personal life as she was 9-10 years older than me.
The now registered sex offender that has been discussed, was not registered or convicted of any child abuse crimes as of February 1979, but he was accused not much after that in the early 80s (which in my opinion means he just didnt get caught until then because he was an adult in 1979). Whether or not he was in the area is a question we are trying to get answered now. The accusation is that this sex offender had a neice who was good friends with Tina and that he was in Felton because his father had just passed away. This neice says that this sex offender allegedly sexually abused her and her sisters relentlessy and she thinks he is involved in Tina Faye Kemp's abduction.
These are all just allegations that we are in the process of trying to validate, but some of them have been validated. For instance...he was know to frequent and even live in Felton and surrounding areas for years before and after Tina's disappearance. Also he was charged with child abuse in the early 80s (I do not know if he was convicted) in the area of Felton, DE. Then finally he was convicted of a sex crime against a child in the early 00s in Kent County DE which is the county that Felton is in. I am hoping that I can validate some of these accusations, so that this guys can either be definitively ruled out or be added to the suspect list...maybe even officialy if we get really lucky.

Thanks Thewop for this extended post. Have to ponder about this for a while. If this person did something to Tina and the surroundings where rural. Is there a place where you can pinpoint him, places he lived, stayed, the father lived. Basically asking if following his whereabouts (if possible) is there a possible place he could have buried her? Were there buildings under construction? Were/are there body's of water? What happened to the house his father lived in, was his mother still there? All kind of questions....sorry for that upfront. Although there is talk about she ran away before, somehow considering all the circumstances it's hard for me to believe that, but still not impossible. Is there anything on record about the earlier abuse of the niece and her sisters. Guess not. So sorry to say but things like that, especially with a family member involved, happened, you wouldn't talk about, keep it inside. This off course are just my thoughts, coming from memories.

I wonder who told them she had run away from home before? Could someone have said that to mislead the police? If they thought she had a history of running away they might not look very hard. I've read a few things about her before and I think it says in all of them that she had run away before her disappearance.

In some cases it would be very helpful if family is opening up more. I promise you, I won't judge. "Not so nice things" happen in people's life. Tina had a lot of sisters. Is there a big age difference between them? Having that many sisters, there must at least one she had some kind of "click" with, a confident. I'm very interested in their story's, their recollections. Sure I understand this can be painful, not wanting to rip up old wounds, getting on with your life. And I have total respect for that, if you choose not to take that path. People are very (c)rude, especially on social media. Reacting in a forum seems also very difficult to me. I can totally understand that, but somehow I think there is more to this story.

I spoke to the person in charge of Tina's case back in 2012 and according to him, there was no search done...ever. I am not even sure when she was reported missing, but LE in the beginning thought she was a runaway who would return home shortly. But after so long and because of reasons I personally do not know yet, they now strongly suspect foul play in Tina's disappearance. I personally believe it is because of the known predators that were in that area during that timeframe, but that wasnt known to LE until the early to mid 80s which is why they now think foul play was involved, plus the amount of time she has been missing without any contact (it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out). I too would like to hear from one of her sisters or friends about Tina's mindset and circumstances during and just before her disappearance.

No...no search was done at all after the snowstorm. From what I understand there was never a search done because she was not considered abducted or murdered (endangered) until years after she was missing.

This is very often the case when people go missing. For any number of reasons they are not reported, or if reported NOT considered at risk or entered into any kind of data base. Anyone who has attempted to match missing person cases with Unidentified cases will see this.

It should not necessarily be considered a reason for criticism of the family when it appears that a child wasn't reported missing. Many times they were reported, but the report was lost or improperly handled at some level.

Reporting of missing persons and response to such a report has become much better today, but that has evolved slowly since some of these older cases.

This is very often the case when people go missing. For any number of reasons they are not reported, or if reported NOT considered at risk or entered into any kind of data base. Anyone who has attempted to match missing person cases with Unidentified cases will see this.

It should not necessarily be considered a reason for criticism of the family when it appears that a child wasn't reported missing. Many times they were reported, but the report was lost or improperly handled at some level.

Reporting of missing persons and response to such a report has become much better today, but that has evolved slowly since some of these older cases.

Yeah you are 100% correct. Police definitely handle missing person cases much differently now. The fact that she had ran away previously had been taken into account and the storm in the proceeding days also delayed any investigation into her disappearance. If they knew in 1979 what they found out in 1983-84, I am certain things would have been slightly if not majorly different. The family certainly is not to blame, they reported it and I am sure they looked for her. The fact that the police were following some sort of "bullcrap" protocol does not excuse the fact that one of our local children went missing on their watch and they didnt do all they could to find her. You would think that some detective would have taken this case personally (and maybe someone did), but from what I know, they are only interested in finding her body. Essentially the case has been handed over to the Chief Medical Examiner and there is no investigation at all. I am sure they have a file open because it is a missing persons case and unless they get very credible info, they will not investigate Tina's disappearance. I know at least 2 people who have at least tried to send info to LE that may or may not be valid and one was ignored completely andnthe other was directed to the Chief Medical Examiner. I have looked into 100s maybe even 1000s of UIBs and even into a few suspects myself, but I am just an amateur with no law enforcement background. I really believe that LE has a really good idea of what happened to Tina, whether they admit it publicly or not. I have actually seen where LE has said there are no suspects, but I dont believe it. How could a 14 year old girl go missing and apparently disappear from the face of the earth and the local LE doesn't have any idea at all what happened? I would believe it if they have or were actively investigated Tina's disappearance.

The hanging out of laundry would fit a warmer than usual kind of day.....

Tina Faye Kemp

Missing since: Feb. 3, 1979

Missing from: Felton

DOB: Oct. 20, 1964

Age when she went missing: 14

Age now: 54

Sex: Female

Race: White

Hair color: Brown

Eye color: Blue

Height: 5'1"

Weight: 100 lbs

More information: Tina was last seen leaving her home on Feb. 3, 1979. She was wearing a white sweater, red-and-white flannel shirt, blue jeans and red-and-white sneakers. She was also wearing a gold band ring with white rhinestones and a leather strap with "Eric" on her left arm. Foul play is suspected.

Thousands of children go missing every year. Here are several from Delaware.

f1cc20d4-a35a-4863-9c65-3a93d2dd9391-TinaKemp1.jpg
62762bff-f370-48e5-ab32-26a13b8950ca-TinaKemp2.jpg

TKemp.jpg
TKemp1.jpg
TKemp2.jpg

TKemp3.jpg
TKemp4.jpg

Tina Faye Kemp
Missing since February 3, 1979 from Felton, Kent County, Delaware
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: October 20, 1964
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0-5'1"; 95-100 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Collar length dark brown hair; blue eyes. Fair complexion with some freckles. Medium build.
    • Marks, Scars: 1/2" mole on right triceps.
    • Clothing: White sweater, red and white flannel shirt, new blue jeans and boys Red and white sneakers.
    • Jewelry: Gold band with white rhinestones. Leather strap with "ERIC" on left arm.
    • DNA: Available
      Circumstances of Disappearance
      Tina Kemp lived with her family 1/2 mile south of Felton, DE, a rural, agricultural area of Delaware.

On Saturday February 3, 1979, Tina reportedly walked away from her residence after helping her family hang laundry outside. She has never been seen since.

Tina had run away on two previous occasions. Tina had a local boyfriend who she was close to; no one in the family or the boyfriend ever heard from, had any communication or ever seen Tina again. Foul play is strongly suspected.

Tina’s disappearance was the day before a heavy snowstorm.
      She was known to frequent horse-racing tracks in Delaware and surrounding states.

Investigators
      If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Delaware State Police
      302-739-2600

Agency Case Number: 05-512-79/NamUs MP# 6937

NCMEC Number: NCMC1157126

Source Information:
      Namus
      NCMEC

Screenshot_2019-09-23-12-43-25_kindlephoto-1429297.png Screenshot_2019-09-23-12-45-42_kindlephoto-1498080.png

I know I have mentioned this previously, but I still believe Tina resembles this young girl found in Rodney Alcala's creepy collection. More so with the additional photos Richard provided.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-23-12-45-42_kindlephoto-1498080.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-23-12-45-42_kindlephoto-1498080.png
    676.7 KB · Views: 35
View attachment 205907 View attachment 205908

I know I have mentioned this previously, but I still believe Tina resembles this young girl found in Rodney Alcala's creepy collection. More so with the additional photos Richard provided.

Well I don't think so, mainly on the basis that Tina was in Delaware and that photo if of a 13-14 yo girl means Alcala would have to have traveled all the way across the country from California to pick her up in early 1979.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back