Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

Discussion in 'Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers' started by Ang50, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Crazyjster

Crazyjster Well-Known Member

I posted a similar theory but using one as a taxi driver...in Boston back in the late 90s there was a man going into bars and buying girls drinks and spiking them with ghb and later posing as a cab driver offering to drive them home and then assaulting them.

2. pittsburghgirl

pittsburghgirl Well-Known Member

This is what I think is most likely explanation for the geographic spread currently.. The first "smiley face" comes up in 1997. The "world wide web" was growing at the same time.

ThePhantom and Eleanor Rigby like this.
  3. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

4. Puffer Fish

Puffer Fish New Member

From 2002 to 2016 there has been a suspicious series of drownings in the Northern part of Minnesota. Young men between the ages of 16 to 22 have simply disappeared, their bodies often turning up in rivers. In most of these cases it is difficult to determine whether the deaths were accidental or were a result of murder. Could all these deaths just be a coincidence, or is there a serial killer?

<modsnip>

Some of these deaths have also happened in the nearby part of Wisconsin.

College guys in this area do drink a lot of alcohol, and there are a lot of lakes and rivers in this region of the country, which is probably why police have been so quick to write the deaths off as accidental. It is a little unsettling though.

Most all of the teens / young men appear to have a similar sort of appearance, what some might consider to be kind of attractive, so (although that's pretty flimsy evidence to go on) that does suggest there might be a sexual motive if these deaths were intentional killings.

Apparently they made a short TV series about it too:

"An old theory behind a series of Minnesota drownings ruled as 'accidental' will be back in the spotlight this weekend.

The theory of the "Smiley Face Killer" is an eerie one. White college-age, Midwestern men go missing for days, sometimes weeks, only to be found drowned in a body of water somewhere after a night at the bar, usually with a graffitied smiley face nearby. More than 40 cases with similarities to this have been reported in a 20 year span along I-94. The urban legend states that serial killer roams the I-94 corridor from Fargo to Detroit searching for their next victim."​

"Minnesota 'Smiley Face Killer' Subject of a New TV Series", January 18, 2019
    Minnesota 'Smiley Face Killer' Subject of a New TV Series

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
  5. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

To drown someone, wouldn’t there be bruising to show they were held down or tied down? Were there marks or scrapes or bruising on any if these bodies?

Welcome to WS, Puffer Fish!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
  6. Puffer Fish

Puffer Fish New Member

I would imagine by the time they found the bodies there had been too much decomposition to tell.

Scrapes/bruising can also be caused by other things, with a body being carried down a river. Most of these are shallow rivers with a lot of rocks.

JudgeJoe likes this.
  7. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

True, rocks & such would definitely leave marks. But handprints on a shoulder or face would be distinct. It’s a creepy thing going on up there for sure.

Pipsissiway_Potts likes this.
  8. TroyinTX

TroyinTX Active Member

I saw a theory awhile ago that these guys were being drowned before being put in these bodies of water. The theory went that they were they being drowned in bathtubs. If the killer put the person in a full bathtub and then grabbed the victims' feet and pulled them under, there would be no bruising around the neck, face, arms or whatever. Very plausible.

9. BeachBabe000

BeachBabe000 New Member

Interesting thought, especially since some of the victims decomposition did not match how long they had been missing. The medical examiner could test the water in the lungs of the victims, see if it was from the river or tap water and I hope they do when another body is found. If this is a group of serial killers, they wont stop.

10. BeachBabe000

BeachBabe000 New Member

Does anyone know if they tried to track his cell phone that he lost that night? They must figure it was in the river but it would be interesting to know for sure

Ichonel and Pipsissiway_Potts like this.
  11. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

I heard about so-called smiley face killer years ago. If there is a killer involved, it is likely a team.

Ichonel likes this.
  12. Ichonel

Ichonel New Member

It's still awful and how much more can happen. How to protect yourself ??? Horror:eek:

13. catlarmen

catlarmen New Member

Is it possible that someone has a overview map of all of these particular disappearances? That would be helpful in comparing the map that David Paulides has created for areas of missing people.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  14. Chloebear3

Chloebear3 Member

I do have a database of the victims and possible victims. I haven’t placed them on a map yet. That is a great idea to compare with the Missing 411 maps. I may start working on that.

turanna25 and savagewoman like this.