Defending a pathological/habitual liar

I know and appreciate your reasons for posting this, but his likening himself to a priest takes one h*ll of a lot of ego and nerve. True, a priest doesn't go on television and say, "Let me tell you what my penitent told me in confidence."

But NEITHER does a priest go on television and attempt to shift the blame for a heinous crime onto other people he knows are innocent, and in the process, destroy their reputations and lives-- Deliberately, knowingly and without so much as a qualm of conscience.

A different "morality." It sure is.

BTW Indigo, I hope I didn't sound snarky. I'm just frustrated that the word "defense" -- a good, even noble-sounding word -- has been so degenerated by attorneys that it includes the act of dragging innocent bystanders into the battle, using them for human shields, putting them through bloody hell, and--ideally--making one of them sacrifice their freedom or even their lives.

In my opinion, that's not defensive, its offensive--literally and figuratively. Unfortunately, I have no solution to suggest. :)

I know exactly what you mean, Friday, because I feel the same way! The only part about that interview that helps me at all is the part where Dershowitz questions himself, even admits losing sleep.

Logically, I understand the need for a defense. Like you, I just can't wrap my mind around how a defense lawyer can use every dirty trick in the book to clear a client that is clearly guilty--especially of the murder of a child. Joel Steinberg comes to mind...that case tortures me to this day.

Very neutral on that subject!!

I think right now he is being given a try out to play the doh! on the NG show. LOL!!!

I don't quite understand why NG continues to have him on. She asks him questions he can't answer. Before KC's last appearance in court, NG asked LP will Cindy be there?

"She'll be there", he said.

doh!

I know and appreciate your reasons for posting this, but his likening himself to a priest takes one h*ll of a lot of ego and nerve. True, a priest doesn't go on television and say, "Let me tell you what my penitent told me in confidence."

But NEITHER does a priest go on television and attempt to shift the blame for a heinous crime onto other people he knows are innocent, and in the process, destroy their reputations and lives-- Deliberately, knowingly and without so much as a qualm of conscience.

A different "morality." It sure is.

BTW Indigo, I hope I didn't sound snarky. I'm just frustrated that the word "defense" -- a good, even noble-sounding word -- has been so degenerated by attorneys that it includes the act of dragging innocent bystanders into the battle, using them for human shields, putting them through bloody hell, and--ideally--making one of them sacrifice their freedom or even their lives.

In my opinion, that's not defensive, its offensive--literally and figuratively. Unfortunately, I have no solution to suggest. :)

:clap: Morality is no longer a part of defence counsels' vocabulary. Perhaps it never was, but they are just more comfortable admitting that nowadays.

I have too much of a conscience to ever be a defence lawyer but, in answer to the original question, if I were defending KC, and based on the evidence I have seen to date, I would plea manslaughter. Err - do I have that option at the moment? Not familiar with Florida criminal law. I still feel the biggest hurdle in this case is the 31 days (at least) non-reporting, and the fact that the defendant did not choose to report at that time either. As a defence lawyer, that expected impact on the jury would scare me right out of continuing with this drama.

I think he knows the truth about Casey and how she is, and its not a concern to him, one way or another.

I beg to differ.... IMO I think he is taken in by KC and I also think that he cares about her. They have some type of relationship going on and it's evident in the way that he pats her on the shoulder and smiles at her, and she flirts with him with the "pen incident" during testimony regarding Caylee's remains during court. He says she's "public enemy #1 and he's public enemy #2." There is some type of "relationship" there and he cares about her. He says that her "life is in his hands" and that is another statement that will make her publicly shed a "few" tears.

I have to say personally, if my life were on the line - I would want an attorney with more than THREE YEARS OF LEGAL EXPERIENCE. In that respect...he probably doesn't know HOW to defend her.

Hmmm! I thought JB already had a story to tell us that would make everyone see and understand what was really going on. At least, that is what he said before the baby's body was found. For the life of me, I can't understand why he hasn't filled everyone in on this. Since the baby is gone, there is clearly no need to "protect" her anymore, and I don't think any of the remaining characters would be worried about anything but bringing justice to this precious child. JMO, of course.

When Caylee turned up right down the street, JB's little story either no longer made much sense or lost a bit of it's punch.

JB was creating a plot with KC a helpless heroine, Caylee a stolen child being sheltered away and of course none of it was in anyway KC's fault. He was going to paint a picture of KC being more a victim than Caylee. (Gag, gasp, vomit.)

The very fact that JB bought into whatever story KC fed him has tainted everything else he does. Anytime he opens his mouth all I hear is, "My client is innocent!" That and a lot of whining. By the time this makes it to trial he will be like all the adults in the Peanuts, Carlie Brown cartoons, "mwaa. mmmwwwaaa mwa mwwaa.

The very fact that JB bought into whatever story KC fed him has tainted everything else he does. Anytime he opens his mouth all I hear is, "My client is innocent!" That and a lot of whining. By the time this makes it to trial he will be like all the adults in the Peanuts, Carlie Brown cartoons, "mwaa. mmmwwwaaa mwa mwwaa.

OMG!! HILARIOUS!!!! AND SO VERY TRUE!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Linda Bauden (sp?), the attorney working with Jose Baez pretty much said what Casey's defense will be in her interview with Meredith Ferrero on the TODAY Show of February 6th. This whole case hinges on evidence (some new science, some old) and that's what the Dream Team is going to go after...the actual science behind forensic testing. If you think the actual circumstances of a child being murdered potentially by her mother is horrible, just wait. The Fat Lady has not sung as of yet. Matter of fact, I don't even think she has warmed up yet.

Lil

How do you defend a pathological liar?

Just follow these easy steps.

1. Sell soul to devil

2. Drink the Kool-aid

3. Keep repeating the phrase "My client is innocent" until you actually begin to believe it.

4. Throw anyone you can think of under the bus (your grandmother and the Pope included)

5. Hire only those who have also sold their souls to the devil.

6. Wait for the Anti-christ to show up because the "end of the world" is the only way KC's going to get out of the sh*thole she's dug herself into.

7. Close your eyes, do you hear that swirling sound? That's your career being flushed down the toilet.

See, it's easy. Don't even need to go all the way through 12 steps!

JMHO as always.

You are too funnaaaay! I notice this time you did not have a run-on sentence, um um, paragraph. I hope you managed to take a breath; but, I know that you pride yourself on going the distance. Ever thought of taking up free diving? Looking forward to your next daring feat!

I wouldn't be surprized if KC begged JB to let her take the stand. She thinks she is such a great liar, er...I mean actress.

I hope she never pleads out. That doesn't say "guilty". Sometime innocent people plea for a lesser charge because they are convinced they are going down and want a lighter sentence.

...........My client may be a liar and a cad but that doesn't make them a murderer
...Mark G. said

Cindy also said that her daughter might have told half-truths, but that does not make her a murderer.

They both need to re-think their statements imo.:behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back