Devilish Packaging, Tamed

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Dark Knight, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The Pyranna, the Jokari Deluxe, the Insta Slit, the ZipIt and the OpenIt apply blades and batteries to what should be a simple task: opening a retail package.

But the maddening — and nearly impenetrable — plastic packaging known as clamshells could become a welcome casualty of the difficult economy. High oil prices have manufacturers and big retailers reconsidering the use of so much plastic, and some are aggressively looking for cheaper substitutes.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112852/retailers-greener-packaging-nyt

2. Pandora

Pandora New Member

I have been praying for the death of this packaging for years! I swear it was designed by Satan &/or his minions! GRRRR!

3. shana

shana New Member

I bought a 2fer of an Xacto-type blade holder called a something Shark. I thought I'd use it on the more challenging shells, the ones with curves. Epic Fail! I sent the other one to a friend who indicated it was a stupid purchase. ITA with him! It performed far more poorly than what I could mangle with my orange-handled scissors, and needed a hazard warning label of its own!

I could not begin to count the numbers of times my hands have been sliced by clamshell no matter how I've struggled with ways to open it. Add to that its environmental impact...UGH! It oughta be outlawed, now and forever!

4. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

The enviromental issue alone should be enough to ban this stuff, it shouldn't have to come down to economy.

But whatever gets rid of it is fine with me...

5. Gracenote

Gracenote We know that all things work together for good for

I would love to see these gone forever. I have arthritis in my hands and struggling to open them is a nightmare.

6. Quiche

Quiche New Member

My cussing will decrease dramatically. :giggle:

7. tiredblondy

tiredblondy New Member

:rocker: Right there with you on that one Quiche. Lol

8. lorann

lorann New Member

Two items that no longer live in my little tool box are my Stanley Knife and Needle nose pliars - they are kept in a kitchen drawer along side my kitchen shears. If I can't use those to get into what I need, I really don't need it.

9. sweetheart29

sweetheart29 Member

The sad part is the packaging is sometimes better made than whats inside the package.