Did Darlie Routier murder her precious sons? Part 2

Did Darlie Routier Murder Her Precious Sons ?

• Total voters
I have always questioned her involvement. Before I took it as extremely unlucky circumstantial evidence that pointed the finger at her. I find the sock interesting since there wasn't a blood drip pattern leading to that sock (if Darlie actually was the one to move it). I also didn't like how everyone overly focused on the video footage of her using silly string... I mean that in itself shouldn't have been seen as 'evidence' she did it. Everyone grieves differently. My aunt was smiling and laughing at my cousins (her sons) funeral. I've seen that footage of Darlie at the cemetery and she clearly says she thinks the boys would want everyone to be happy (by memory so not in verbatim).

I am even further on the fence since I just watched the Forensic Files episode on her case titled 'invisible intruder'. With the forensic evidence provided in detail it makes it really look like she did it. Her accounts didn't match the evidence at the scene, the excessive bleeding by the sink suggests that is the location she inflicted her wounds, a knife impression was found on the carpet with blood drips down from the handle to the blade (Darlie's) and she also had a knife wound on her arm, the murder weapon just happened to be the biggest knife they had in the knife block (which had many knives), and something I never heard before that Darlie didn't have underwear on which investigators thought was to potentially suggest sexual assault. Why would she sleep in the living room without underwear on if you're only wearing a large t-shirt and you're sleeping with your young sons?

well, if Darlie did not do this crime then that killer must have floated above the crime scene leaving not a trace of evidence of his presence. Polic asked Darlie which way the killer took off out of her house and her reply was out the back through the garage, so not only the gate that was hard to open and shut was closed but cops noticed a motion security light above the garage. This light was off and when they tripped it the timer was set to 15 minutes, so if someone had fled the scene that way the light should have been on but it was off. This is just one little tidbit of evidence a person forgets about that leads cops to the obvious conclusions, she did it.

Yes I think she did it.

She supposedly slept through her boys being slain. The intruder for some strange reason did not kill the adult first. He also does not bother to finish her off when she chases him?

There is no bloody foot prints, no disturbed dust on the window sill, no flood light on in the backyard and the very difficult to use gate is still shut. There is no bloody knife print on the floor where he supposedly dropped the knife.

There was a huge blood clean up at the sink and cast off blood splatter on the back of Darlie's night shirt. The bread knife had screen residue on it.

The ice tongs and bottle opener are still perfectly balanced on the whine rack that was supposedly bumped and Darlie's feet were not cut up by the broken glass.

She takes her sweet time letting first response in at the end of that strange 911 call where she does not ask about how to help her boys. She refuses to put towels on Damon when directed to by a 1st response officer.

At the hospital she barley cries and there are no big dark bruises in existence yet. She is agitated when officers want to photograph her wounds. She also needed anti anxiety pills when the local paper talked about how the attack might not have been so random....

For some reason her defense team will not release any more of that secret grave side tape where she was supposedly mourning. There is only one small blurb revealing that it was Dana's idea to use silly string. After the silly string shower she does not appear to be sad at all when talking to reporters. Then a few days later she is seen laughing and playfully tossing around toys from the funeral wreaths. Later that night she was arrested and then she was finally looking like that her world was over.

There is more evidence but that is all for now.

Check out Mary Moody's website darlie fact and fiction. She read the transcripts.

Last edited:
Yes I think she did it.

She supposedly slept through her boys being slain. The intruder for some strange reason did not kill the adult first. He also does not bother to finish her off when she chases him?

There is no bloody foot prints, no disturbed dust on the window sill, no flood light on in the backyard and the very difficult to use gate is still shut. There is no bloody knife print on the floor where he supposedly dropped the knife.

There was a huge blood clean up at the sink and cast off blood splatter on the back of Darlie's night shirt. The bread knife had screen residue on it.

The ice tongs and bottle opener are still perfectly balanced on the whine rack that was supposedly bumped and Darlie's feet were not cut up by the broken glass.

She takes her sweet time letting first response in at the end of that strange 911 call where she does not ask about how to help her boys. She refuses to put towels on Damon when directed to by a 1st response officer.

At the hospital she barley cries and there are no big dark bruises in existence yet. She is agitated when officers want to photograph her wounds. She also needed anti anxiety pills when the local paper talked about how the attack might not have been so random....

For some reason her defense team will not release any more of that secret grave side tape where she was supposedly mourning. There is only one small blurb revealing that it was Dana's idea to use silly string. After the silly string shower she does not appear to be sad at all when talking to reporters. Then a few days later she is seen laughing and playfully tossing around toys from the funeral wreaths. Later that night she was arrested and then she was finally looking like that her world was over.

There is more evidence but that is all for now.

Check out Mary Moody's website darlie fact and fiction. She read the transcripts.

Thank you for your post. Do you have a link for that website? I didn’t find it, well, I was directed to facebook and it wanted me to log in, and I don’t do Facebook. Hoping it’s wrong. TIA

Okay so after this article: 5 Convicted Murderers Who Might Actually Be Innocent
I am back to not knowing what to think. This case seems like a he said/she said. It's this comment that got me.
"After the trial, one juror admitted, "if we had been able to see the whole picture of what happened that day, I believe I would not have voted to convict."
Most of the claims in that article are not true...it's not an accurate source for anyone to believe she didn't do it. The only true accurate source is the trial transcripts.

Routier was stabbed in the neck near a critical artery, requiring emergency surgery, but prosecutors claimed the wounds were self-inflicted; photos taken at the hospital that show defensive black-and-blue bruises on Routier’s arms – and they were never shown to the jury.

This isn't true, albeit she her neck cut did come close to the carotid sheath. The photos of her arm bruises were taken on June 10th at the police station, two days after she left hospital. None of the doctors who treated her or the nurses saw any indication of that terrible bruised arm whilst she was in hospital, no swelling, no redness. And they most certainly were shown to the jury and discussed with her medical team as the trial transcripts prove.

Additionally, bloody clothing belonging to Routier and her children were put in the same evidence bag, risking contamination.

Not true, all the clothing was bagged separately.

Router’s supporters also say police tainted the crime scene, moved furniture and objects before photos were taken.

Not true and how would any of Routier's supporters know this? Were they flies on the wall? In fact Darlie and Darin were the first to contaminate the crime scene, Darin moved articles so he could administer CPR to Devon and Darlie moved the vacuum and the murder weapon.

Their most damning evidence was a TV news segment, filmed at the
boys’ grave, which showed Routier laughing and playing with silly string.

Not true the most damning evidence is the cast off blood of both boys on her shoulders and back.

In 2002, a leading forensic anthropologist determined that a bloody fingerprint found on a glass table did not match anyone in the Routier family or involved in the investigation, and her current appeal is pending further advanced DNA testing. The State of Texas has offered to reduce Routier’s sentence to life without parole if she would admit guilt, but she’s refused.

Not true, Darlie was never ever offered a life sentence if she would confess nor will she be. And the anthropologist was no asked to determine if that print matched anyone in the home that night, he was asked specifically if could be one of the boys's prints.

Family and friends were actually celebrating what would have been Devon’s 7th birthday; hours earlier, Routier sobbed through a somber memorial service. There was footage of that too, but the jury only saw “silly string” portion, which they asked to view seven times during deliberations.

And last but not least...not true. Doug Mulder was given permission by the judge and the DA to show that tape to the jury during Darlie's trial even though he had not entered it into evidence. He chose to challenge the legality of the tape and claim the two police officers committed a crime when they taped the memorial service. Only one juror said they watched it seven times, the rest said two or three.

This whole article is just another lie fest, the truth is in the trial transcripts and the appeals.

Last edited:
Most of the claims in that article are not true...it's not an accurate source for anyone to believe she didn't do it. The only true accurate source is the trial transcripts.

Routier was stabbed in the neck near a critical artery, requiring emergency surgery, but prosecutors claimed the wounds were self-inflicted; photos taken at the hospital that show defensive black-and-blue bruises on Routier’s arms – and they were never shown to the jury.

This isn't true, albeit she her neck cut did come close to the carotid sheath. The photos of her arm bruises were taken on June 10th at the police station, two days after she left hospital. None of the doctors who treated her or the nurses saw any indication of that terrible bruised arm whilst she was in hospital, no swelling, no redness. And they most certainly were shown to the jury and discussed with her medical team as the trial transcripts prove.

Additionally, bloody clothing belonging to Routier and her children were put in the same evidence bag, risking contamination.

Not true, all the clothing was bagged separately.

Router’s supporters also say police tainted the crime scene, moved furniture and objects before photos were taken.

Not true and how would any of Routier's supporters know this? Were they flies on the wall? In fact Darlie and Darin were the first to contaminate the crime scene, Darin moved articles so he could administer CPR to Devon and Darlie moved the vacuum and the murder weapon.

Their most damning evidence was a TV news segment, filmed at the
boys’ grave, which showed Routier laughing and playing with silly string.

Not true the most damning evidence is the cast off blood of both boys on her shoulders and back.

In 2002, a leading forensic anthropologist determined that a bloody fingerprint found on a glass table did not match anyone in the Routier family or involved in the investigation, and her current appeal is pending further advanced DNA testing. The State of Texas has offered to reduce Routier’s sentence to life without parole if she would admit guilt, but she’s refused.

Not true, Darlie was never ever offered a life sentence if she would confess nor will she be. And the anthropologist was no asked to determine if that print matched anyone in the home that night, he was asked specifically if could be one of the boys's prints.

Family and friends were actually celebrating what would have been Devon’s 7th birthday; hours earlier, Routier sobbed through a somber memorial service. There was footage of that too, but the jury only saw “silly string” portion, which they asked to view seven times during deliberations.

And last but not least...not true. Doug Mulder was given permission by the judge and the DA to show that tape to the jury during Darlie's trial even though he had not entered it into evidence. He chose to challenge the legality of the tape and claim the two police officers committed a crime when they taped the memorial service. Only one juror said they watched it seven times, the rest said two or three.

This whole article is just another lie fest, the truth is in the trial transcripts and the appeals.
Wow! Thank you for the fact checking. That is ridiculous that it was able to even be published with such fabrications... I just went back to the article and didn't even have to read it to realize it's bad journalism... I scrolled down and read the caption under a picture... It read, " Darlie Routier, convicted of killing her husband and children, is currently appealing the conviction."

source: Darlie Routier – Rolling Stone

I haven't read anything about this case in years, but that link isn't very helpful.

One question I'm trying to answer is: has all the evidence been tested for DNA in recent years? I've read one article from 2014 when the judge ordered more DNA testing

Judge Orders More DNA Testing For Convicted Rowlett Murderer

The prosecutor only says that all the tests in the past "came back negative". I'm not sure what that means. If you have clothing, fingerprints, etc. from a very bloody crime scene, there's going to be DNA evidence, period.

So when were the last DNA tests done, what was tested and what did it reveal? TIA

I haven't read anything about this case in years, but that link isn't very helpful.

One question I'm trying to answer is: has all the evidence been tested for DNA in recent years? I've read one article from 2014 when the judge ordered more DNA testing

Judge Orders More DNA Testing For Convicted Rowlett Murderer

The prosecutor only says that all the tests in the past "came back negative". I'm not sure what that means. If you have clothing, fingerprints, etc. from a very bloody crime scene, there's going to be DNA evidence, period.

So when were the last DNA tests done, what was tested and what did it reveal? TIA[/QUO

Yes she's had more DNA testing than any other DR inmate to date and to date, none of the testing has shown any u/k male DNA that's what he means by negative.

The last round of testing in 2015 was the more sensitive testing they can do now. It's called Y-STR DNA testing and it isolates the male chromosome Y. They tested:
1. swabs from a sweatband of a cap (the black cap seen in the CS photos)
2. swabs from the knife handle
3. a stain from the sock with possible blood
4. blood from the partial, smudged fingerprint
5. several stains from Darlie's nightshirt

The swabs from the cap were negative for Y-STR.

A partial Y-STR result was found on the stain from the sock. Darin and/or Devon or Damon cannot be excluded. A further DNA test proved the blood is Devon's.

Blood from the partial, smudged fingerprint was negative for Y-STR DNA

Darlie is the major contributor to most of the stains they tested. Only two stains contained a minor contributor. Darin and/or Damon and Devon cannot be excluded from these two stains.

These results were sealed from the public a day after they were released. I managed to save a copy but I cannot copy it here as it's a PDF file.

There was more testing ordered in 2017 but it is sealed from the public. I am going out on a limb and saying it is the limb hair from the sock (no pun intended) that is being tested now.

The most significant in my opinion is the blood from the bloody partial print on the glass table. For 20 years now Darlie's side has claimed if you Y-STR test that blood you will find the sweat or oils from the male intruder...and they didn't, there is no male DNA in that print blood so that print was no left by an unknown male intruder.

Thanks for that information! Not sure if I misread, but has any result of latest DNA testing of the fingerprint been released to the public? Sounds like they've said what it isn't but not what it is.

Are they saying that much of the DNA evidence that's there can't actually be linked to anyone, just references to unknown male or female? One would think with such a bloody crime scene that they could get more definitive answers. Was the evidence not properly retrieved or stored, so is now degraded? Just curious as to why there are no definitive answers.

If she did it, then all the DNA at the crime scene should exactly match:

1 her
2 her husband
3 her deceased children
4 her surviving child

Apologies in advance if I'm not understanding this correctly. Thanks!

ETA: Why are they keeping results of the 2017 test from the public? That should be public information, especially since this is a death penalty case. Have the results been revealed to anyone besides the prosecutor? News media? Defendant's attorneys? Surviving family? Just curious.

Last edited:
Ok, I just spent some time reviewing the case and finally getting a chance to look at photos of the evidence and some of the crime scene. The state had and has a very weak circumstantial case.

Blood spatter evidence isn't very solid. The expert who testified about the knife and blood drops in the kitchen came to a completely different interpretation than other experts I've read in other cases.

As for the bloody knife on the floor, viewing the photo in the Forensic Files video, you can see blood spatters and smears on the floor around the knife, as if it had been dropped.

The dust on the windowsill is a red herring. Not until I saw the photo did I realize the window sill is only about 6 inches off the floor. It's a tall window. Anyone entering it would have crouched over and stepped through the window, one foot at a time. I always had the impression it was a regular type window, with the sill located at or above waist height. In that case, someone would have disturbed the dust because they would have had to slide their upper body of hips over the sill.

The timeline doesn't work WRT the injuries to the boys, their deaths, the 911 call and the amount of time it would have taken Darlie to run out in the yard and down the alley to plant the bloody sock. I also doubt she would have done that while naked from the waist down.

One comment from the husband when he went into the ER room. People say strange things when they're in shock.

The hidden camera at the grave when Darlie went to celebrate the birthday of her deceased son was really poor form by LE

Valuables sitting out and not stolen: The perp was interrupted by Darlie and her husband, escaping before he could grab anything.

I now understand about the problems with DNA at the crime scene. The evidence was poorly handled, with clothes from various victims mixed together in the same bag while still wet with blood. That said, it was a small police department that probably didn't have a lot of experience in investigating murder scenes, nor much advanced training on retrieving and handling crime scene evidence.

JMO, Darlie may have killed them, but it's very unlikely. The crime scene didn't look staged, it looked real. Her defensive wounds didn't look self-inflicted, JMO. I don't see how she could have stabbed herself on the outside of her forearm.

At the very least, she shouldn't be on death row.

"If there was no intruder, it must have been Darin. ."

Why, though? Why give Darlie a pass & lay blame on Darin?

And if it WAS Darin, why would Darlie cover for him by claiming she saw an intruder?

The only motive that makes sense to me is the life insurance on Darlie.

It seems to me like there were two attackers, one on the boys and another on Darlie and they were happening at the same time.

Commenting as a new member of the board. I searched and don't see a current thread where the trial is being discussed. I've been watching The Last Defense on I.D. and it's refreshing my memory of that time. I was a mom of a 4-year-old and a newborn at the time, and I (unfairly) judged her by what I saw in the media. Hadn't thought about this case since then. Anyway...one juror was interviewed for this show and her first statement was how when she was chosen for the jury that all she knew about it was, "she killed her kids". She also mentions how the facts of Darlie being conscious of her looks, buying jewelry and breast implants, "didn't make her guilty, but it sure made ya think"...or something along those lines. She did exactly what that prosecuter wanted her to do and that was to judge her because "she wore 10 rings at a time" (prosecuter's words in the show) and didn't attend church regularly. In a town where the trial was moved to that was much more conservative than the area where the Routiers lived. Character "evidence" convicted her and I'm shocked after watching this show. So I am undecided right now...and leaning toward the fact that she did not murder her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back