Discussions about the book - The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay by David Murray

Alioop, I downloaded the book on my kindle, planning on it being my Christmas present. Typical of my 'can't wait' personality, I had it read several weeks ago. I thought it was an amazing book. David Murray has done a very good job. Portrayed GBC and his family as they deserved.

While sitting on a bus reading, I laughed out loud at the comment of a detective to GBC's Gold Coast solicitor when he refused to give a formal interview. Solicitor said it was GBC's right, then asked the detective where to with the investigation now. Detective's reply was "Mind your own business".

Goodness, they were all on to GBC from the start - nearly as good as us!:blushing:

Hi BN. Nice to hear from you. Hi to Snails too!
I have just finished the book this morning and it was very well written. Interesting that the prosecution only got wind of the blog about being a house husband during the defences evidence at the trial. They couldn't have been checking the leads on websleuths otherwise they would have known about it long before the trial. Had they known earlier they could have used it in evidence by the sounds of it as the judge would not let them use it in cross examination as they did use it in the prosecutions evidence.
I laughed about him telling Todd Fuller that he did answer all the police questions for eg when they asked for a formal statement he said no so thereby did answer that question with a no!

Hi BN. Nice to hear from you. Hi to Snails too!
I have just finished the book this morning and it was very well written. Interesting that the prosecution only got wind of the blog about being a house husband during the defences evidence at the trial. They couldn't have been checking the leads on websleuths otherwise they would have known about it long before the trial. Had they known earlier they could have used it in evidence by the sounds of it as the judge would not let them use it in cross examination as they did use it in the prosecutions evidence.
I laughed about him telling Todd Fuller that he did answer all the police questions for eg when they asked for a formal statement he said no so thereby did answer that question with a no!

Oh yes Alioop. That was so funny. My son has aspergers and he takes everything literal - just like GBC. Here's a few examples from my son: Can't use the toothpaste because it says don't use if opened. Can you get ready for school? Yes (could, but didn't). My son would be a nightmare for police to interview. He'd give them literal answers to every question. I know my son would not see this behaviour as being silly, he would see it as simply answering the question he was asked. GBC on the other hand, seemed to relish in this one-up-man-ship type of behaviour.

There was always talk of other convictions. Do you think it will ever happen ??

I drove past the house today and it looked so nice all done up yellow. Still gives me goosebumps driving past it though.

Emirates1957, I doubt that more arrests will happen now. I think the evidence isn't concrete enough (round-about camera not usable). And I doubt it would happen before his appeal. But maybe the guilt will get others of interest in the end. Imagine letting your son/brother take the entire rap when others may have been involved.

I was interested to hear that after (I think it was after) GBC's witness stand performance, the jury were sent out and the judge and legals had a discussion about GBC pleading guilty to a lesser charge. I would like to hear more about that, but seems like we aren't privy to it. Anyone know any more?

Emirates1957, I doubt that more arrests will happen now. I think the evidence isn't concrete enough (round-about camera not usable). And I doubt it would happen before his appeal. But maybe the guilt will get others of interest in the end. Imagine letting your son/brother take the entire rap when others may have been involved.

I was interested to hear that after (I think it was after) GBC's witness stand performance, the jury were sent out and the judge and legals had a discussion about GBC pleading guilty to a lesser charge. I would like to hear more about that, but seems like we aren't privy to it. Anyone know any more?

I wasn't there but from what I gather, it was a try on by GBC lawyers to get the judge to instruct the jurors that they couldn't find him guilty of murder because the prosecution hadn't proven intent. They were talking freely without the jurors present so it sounded like there were almost admissions of an argument and fight that night but the defence argued even if that were the case, murder hadn't been proven. The prosecution of course didn't know exactly what happened to Allison as there was no cause of death other than it was not natural. The judge wasn't buying any of this as he said the jury could infer intent from GBC's subsequent actions in covering up Alison's death, making no admissions and not cooperating with police. It was a circumstantial case where not one piece of evidence proved murder, but all of the evidence was sufficient for a murder verdict.
Otherwise you could rarely get a murder conviction on circumstantial evidence if the prosecutions submissions had been accepted by the judge.

Hi Anon and everyone :)
My memory tells me that the reconnection to the charger was never disputed - GBC didn't dispute that it went back on (he hardly could, could he?) but it was insinuated that someone else must have put it back on, e.g. Allison. He denied that it was HIM who reconnected it - as he was asleep apparently. Obviously, this line of reasoning didn't get them very far.
You are right though, that the FaceTime call was discredited and wasn't used as evidence ultimately. Hope this helps and that all your websleuthers out there are well - can't wait to read this book!

Cwarr.... unwrapped book Christmas Day and by close of Boxing Day, had eagerly absorbed every last page lol. Husband found me asleep on lounge with book slumped over my face & glasses sitting twisted at 45' angle. Sleep-Eat-Read. Repeat.

On the outset, I'd just like to thank David Murray for including a nice glossy pic (opposite p.199) of the chisel-jawed, super-smart-stone-cold-fox Mr Fuller. :clap:

I got the book for Christmas too, my husband knew how obsessed I was..
I had a few tears throughout, almost as often as I ground my teeth over behaviour of the BCs - none more that after her body was found and her mum wanted to hold the girls and he refused! My wish is that one day that family will have the insight to understand why their behaviour disgusts us.
All credit to the Dickies for remaining so dignified in the face of what must have been beyond unbearable.

This very point was a 'put the book down and walk away' moment for me. How cruel. How deeply, deeply cruel!!

The other thing I am still grinding my teeth over is EBC walking out before impact statements were read. Glad he included that in book. I was disgusted by that after verdict. Couldn't even acknowledge their pain by listening. Should EBC fancy herself an author, I for one will not be giving her the satisfaction of being heard :mad:

Interesting observation that the colour purple is opposite yellow on colour wheel, with regard to clothing worn to court.

Olivia following Mrs Dickie when she accompanied girls to toilet during an arranged play in park - whatever doubt I had about OW's knowledge/involvement disappeared right there. :mad:

GBC warning Mr Dickie that he was being recorded when they met to discuss funeral arrangements :mad:

GBC wanting scout logo placed on funeral service booklets, asking to proof read everyone's speeches, insisting on speaking last as 'his terms' for Allison's funeral. Arriving last minute with girls to funeral to create worry girls wouldn't be there. :mad:

I appreciated the subtle digs David Murray put in for light humour to break some of the heavier stuff up.

This very point was a 'put the book down and walk away' moment for me. How cruel. How deeply, deeply cruel!!

The other thing I am still grinding my teeth over is EBC walking out before impact statements were read. Glad he included that in book. I was disgusted by that after verdict. Couldn't even acknowledge their pain by listening. Should EBC fancy herself an author, I for one will not be giving her the satisfaction of being heard :mad:

Interesting observation that the colour purple is opposite yellow on colour wheel, with regard to clothing worn to court.

Olivia following Mrs Dickie when she accompanied girls to toilet during an arranged play in park - whatever doubt I had about OW's knowledge/involvement disappeared right there. :mad:

GBC warning Mr Dickie that he was being recorded when they met to discuss funeral arrangements :mad:

GBC wanting scout logo placed on funeral service booklets, asking to proof read everyone's speeches, insisting on speaking last as 'his terms' for Allison's funeral. Arriving last minute with girls to funeral to create worry girls wouldn't be there. :mad:

I appreciated the subtle digs David Murray put in for light humour to break some of the heavier stuff up.

Thank you Camp Chair for sharing those previously unknown facts. Illuminating! 'Narcissism' in its true meaning and 'Identification with the aggressor' come to mind as being factors which continuously influence/perpetuate this familial system.
My opinion only.

I get that GBC would have told Olivia not to leave the girls alone with the Dickie's, but I don't get Olivia's behaviour at all.

Further to my previous post, it has occurred to me that Olivia's behaviour could be explained on the basis of fear. Fear of her brother and what he may have done to Allison, fear of what he could do to others, fear of not complying with her brother's demands eg don't leave the Dickies alone with the girls. Fear of many things.
I hope she is no longer fearful now that he has been convicted.

Further to my previous post, it has occurred to me that Olivia's behaviour could be explained on the basis of fear. Fear of her brother and what he may have done to Allison, fear of what he could do to others, fear of not complying with her brother's demands eg don't leave the Dickies alone with the girls. Fear of many things.
I hope she is no longer fearful now that he has been convicted.

Alioop, I spoke to OW in the lift one day at the committal and I doubt that she was fearful of GBC. I guess her religious beliefs would make her back her brother to the hilt. Not sure about the brother O/S though. I think he didn't want to know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back