Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982958927/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slumber Party from Hell by Sue Ellen Allen. A great read. At one point, I'd offered to purchase a copy for those that could not afford one. I set the limit at 5. Only 2 people took me up on the offer. If there is anyone out there curious about life at Perryville, but just can't justify the cost of the book, I'll cover it for you. Three spots left. It is a heartening read for a JA UNsupporter.

That is so nice of you. I enjoyed reading it, and I am sure others will as well. Kindness comes with rewards, and you would surely deserve them.

I agree, Frigga. If conditions are that deplorable something should be done. Maybe AZ residents should gang up on their legislators for legislation to ensure that justice is served in a humane manner.

One thing to consider, though, is that some of the articles out there were written by a former inmates of the facility. Others are authored by various groups with specific agendas. Nothing justifies torture and inhuman conditions but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility that anyone writing such articles could and probably does have an agenda and accuracy in their reporting is often not conducive to it.

I've watched a lot of those 'locked up" shows until I got a clue. One on one the prisoners sound so sympathetic and sane. And then you find out that when they are thwarted they are easily and spectacularly violent. So many prisoners talk about family, children....and yet here they are, not having considered them in the commitment of a crime.

I have found, that in the end, a lot of prisoners feel entitled. I dont see torture for the most part- I see irksome conditions. Conditions that, IMO, most deserve. I fell for their sincere seeming sob story at one time. No more. Ever.

Re: JA being nice to people to get what she wants:

I find it interesting that when I had a look at her myspace page a couple years ago, it listed Atlas Shrugged as one of her favorite books. Now, that may have been another copying of Travis' or someone else's faves, but the essence of that book is that you do whatever is in your own self interest and assume everyone else is too. So, basically look out for number 1, and let others fend for themselves. Buyer beware, etc. IOW, be nice to people if it gets you what you want, not bc you're a good person.

Atlas Shrugged is also fraught with some pretty complex political ideology. I find it hard to believe that with her 11th grade education, she actually grasped the deeper themes. I would wager that this was just another example of her trying to seem smarter and more educated than she actually was/is, and trying to curry favor with Travis and his peers.

In the last mugshot, I actually covered up CMJA's eyebrows because they are so distracting. When you do that, you can really see the fear and defeat in her face.

I read the article about the horrid conditions at Perryville, and I cannot see it as reality. To believe that the conditions are that bad I would like to see statistics of deaths from diseases caused by these condions. Mold growing to these extremes would have the guards sick, and complaining. IMO there would be so many lawsuits from guards, and other staff members that have gotten sick with that amount of mold.
Also, if the utensils are really that dirty I would think that there would be many more deaths then reported. I would like to see some statistics on deaths caused by diseases at the prison. Wouldn't those diseases be passed on to the guards, and other staff?
What happened to Powell was cruel and unacceptable. I just cannot believe the other conditions are to that extreme, as it would also effect the health of the workers there.

In the last mugshot, I actually covered up CMJA's eyebrows because they are so distracting. When you do that, you can really see the fear and defeat in her face.

I see what you're saying about her look when you cover her eyebrows--but I think it's the eyebrows that truly reflect what she's thinking/feeling. I see seething anger and thoughts of revenge. I'm in agreement with others who think she really didn't believe she would even be convicted, let alone sentenced to LWOP. She really believed the jury would be convinced by her lies. JMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In the picture of CMJA I see someone who is filled with more anger than when she murdered Travis Alexander. She thinks she’s hiding it but it’s coming thru in her “Lyin' Eyes” OR it could be she hates orange LOL Either way she’s not happy, she’s not laughing, and she’s not free! I never thought I would ever say this, I hope we do have a record breaking summer this year. We can always get away from the heat by going up to Prescott/Chino Valley :) The evil one will not be able to get away from it and that makes me happy :) 

At Jodi's sentencing, JSS seems to be have been as matter-of-fact and stern as at her other sentencing events. Plus, she added a very terse sentence to the sentencing order, something to the effect: Ms. Arias should not be released for any purpose at any time for the rest of her natural life." I'll bet JSS thought for quite a long time about what she might say and boiled it down to this one damning sentence. It came out much like waiting at the DMV, having your number called, and BAM! onto the next person, no embellishment at all. I think JSS's one sentence statement is genius: basically, she doesn't give Jodi the time of day, no more attention.

Absolutely agree with your feeling on this, Rickshaw. Although JSS exasperated me with the endless sidebars and secret meetings/testimony, and hoping she would give Arias a good dressing down at sentencing, her short, cold, and to the point address was, I believe, her way of indicating that Arias was not worth wasting breath on.

I think the side-stepping of her manipulations means mostly no one-on-one contact, and keeping a safe distance from her as much as possible (no personal interactions). I don't doubt there will be some verbal smack-downs to put her in her place, but given her high profile, I don't think anything bad will happen to her, at least until she's in general population. Then, all bets are off.

I don't believe anything "bad" will happen to Jodi physically where she's been put. The impact will be psychological. By "slap-down" I meant how the normal treatment will seem to her and how she will respond to it. I'll bet the mug shot scenario (that must have included an order to tie her hair back) was the kind of "slap-down" I'm thinking of. I believe for her to get into Restrictive Housing there had to be a lot of sign-offs.

Devault wasn't in Restrictive Housing, was she? She's in close-custody Max (or whatever they call it)?

arias-jpg.jpg

#thejigisup :D

does she have #sideburns? :floorlaugh:

I see restrained rage in that expression. She's pissed, despite the fact that she got to wear eye makeup in this mug shot. You can clearly see the eye shadow, and others have pointed out the eye liner and mascara, and she may have blush and a pale pink lipstick on.
LinasK I see the same restrained rage and can only imagine that we are seeing a small glimpse of what Skye and Chris Hughes saw that caused them to lay awake all night fearing for the safety of themselves and their children.

Love it. No more blonde or redhead for her.

Not only that, it seems she can only change her appearance every six months and she has to get permission to do so. No tete a tete's with the gals coming up with a new "do"!

Plus, there are special rules for those with braids! Lol.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982958927/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slumber Party from Hell by Sue Ellen Allen. A great read. At one point, I'd offered to purchase a copy for those that could not afford one. I set the limit at 5. Only 2 people took me up on the offer. If there is anyone out there curious about life at Perryville, but just can't justify the cost of the book, I'll cover it for you. Three spots left. It is a heartening read for a JA UNsupporter.

Me! I'd like one!

Am curious about televison at PV. Have read from several former inmates, that they are allowed a tv in their cell. IIRC, I saw a photo of a cell with the tv on a shelf. Milke mentioned that (in death row) she passed time by watching tv. Does anyone know what channels the inmates are allowed to receive? Do they get a full cable package (like those I cannot afford,) or it is just local OTA?

Hey DogGoneCute, if we ever have to tweet another AZ trial, afternoons might be improved (or at least less annoying):

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 4m4 minutes ago
Very excited that @kinseyschofield is joining the #fox10phoenix team as a digital journalist! Hurry up and get here!
---

#Fox saves WAT

I don't believe anything "bad" will happen to Jodi physically where she's been put. The impact will be psychological. By "slap-down" I meant how the normal treatment will seem to her and how she will respond to it. I'll bet the mug shot scenario (that must have included an order to tie her hair back) was the kind of "slap-down" I'm thinking of. I believe for her to get into Restrictive Housing there had to be a lot of sign-offs.

Devault wasn't in Restrictive Housing, was she? She's in close-custody Max (or whatever they call it)?

Devault (#291755) is in ASPC-PV SPEC. MANAGE now. Don't know where she was on admission. I assume as a lifer she is in max or close custody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the article about the horrid conditions at Perryville, and I cannot see it as reality. To believe that the conditions are that bad I would like to see statistics of deaths from diseases caused by these condions. Mold growing to these extremes would have the guards sick, and complaining. IMO there would be so many lawsuits from guards, and other staff members that have gotten sick with that amount of mold.
Also, if the utensils are really that dirty I would think that there would be many more deaths then reported. I would like to see some statistics on deaths caused by diseases at the prison. Wouldn't those diseases be passed on to the guards, and other staff?
What happened to Powell was cruel and unacceptable. I just cannot believe the other conditions are to that extreme, as it would also effect the health of the workers there.

No doubt you are right about how if the conditions were as described, there would be lawsuits from guards. There would be OSHA violations.....

I never got the part about the dirty utensils. Couldn't they just wash them in the cell sink? Get the gunk off with a corner of one of those orange jumpsuits?

The inmates do the dish washing, right? You'd think there'd be peer pressure to keep silverware and dishes clean?

Only Americans—I'll swear—think it's essential to have a shower everyday and it's cruel and unusual punishment if they don't. I'm sure inmates can take a sponge bath with a corner of towel if they need to clean up between showers. Aren't some of them allowed to boil water in their cells with those insertion heaters? This would give them hot water at bedside.

Inmates are required to keep their cells clean, or there will be discipline. No doubt, prison-compatible cleansers are available, since I don't see them on the commissary list. A little bleach goes a long way......

Are these folks expecting "housekeeping"?

As I understand it, most inmates are out of their cells and working or doing "programs" most of the day. Not too much to worry about in that case.

It may be very hot in the buildings, but humans do adjust quite a bit to heat (just maybe not over 100). I've lived in tropical countries with no air conditioning and I know this for a fact. On paper it sounds impossible, but you do adjust.

I'll bet some of these stories are coming from short-timers who were housed in lower-security units than Lumley. Since they're out and about now there's time to fuel a frenzy of comparing notes about conditions and competing for grossness, conflating details, exaggerating, etc. You should hear my stories about boarding school in England........

Now, if they're sick, that's another matter. It does sound as though PV doesn't attend to medical issues with alacrity. But I suppose part of that is because inmates fake illnesses, so there have to be hurdles (e.g. waiting in the yard) in order to receive medical care.

I know I'm not sounding very sympathetic, but in a lot of the comments from ex-inmates I'm finding whininess from folks who think they're entitled. It is likely that this sense of entitlement is what got them into prison in the first place. Too bad they can't all spend 6 months "volunteering" in a slum in Haiti or Bangladesh or Guinea: maybe they'd get clue about how ridiculous they're being. People can make miracles of almost nothing and subsisting on 0 showers per month.

does she have #sideburns? :floorlaugh:

The eyebrows are so manufactured, it gives me the creeps. Can you imagine the amount of work it took for Jodi to get her eyebrows like that? I thought they didn't have mirrors in jail?

Do you think they've confiscated her glasses? On the grounds that embellishments are not permitted?

I do like the used Tshirt she got issued, with the stretched neck and all. Plus, she'll be wearing a jumpsuit, not separates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout1960