Do not knock off the Easter bunny

Why would a person not want to learn about another person religion or culture. I guess I am the type of person who likes to learn and find new and interesting things to expand my mind.

I was invited to a Bar Mitvah. I felt honored. I also attended my best friends daughter Bat Mitvah, it was great event. Also I love Thai food.......

I guess I was welcomed and invited because I am not an intolerant person and people see me as fair, open minded and respectful of other beliefs and cultures. I treat all people fairly and equally and respect all faiths and cultures. I don't discriminate against anyone anywhere.

These people wanted me there, wow, that says a lot about how they see me and how they feel about me. I have attended other events that are viewed as "non Christian" also.

Now if they thought that I was intolerant, judgmentmental, narrow minded, and was not accepting of all people and treated people equally, of course I would not receive an invite, nor would I want to attend.

BTW thanks for the invite to bite you, but I will decline it. You see people in Canada do not bite each other. Maybe in Texas and the States, but not in Canada. Canadians are just too polite to bite people. Nor to use the term. We are a multi-dominational, multi-cultural country, that is why people like me do very well in Canada. It is the narrow minded, judgemental, intolerant people who have a problem adjusting to Canada, but I am sure they would fit right in in some States, especially the state that GWB is from.

Gee I guess it is just an "urban myth" that people associate (especially at this time of the year) eggs and bunnies with Easter.

Like a recent Cadbury EASTER EGG commercial, with eggs and bunnies. I guess Cadbury hired the "wrong" advertising firm that somehow was mistaken when they included bunnies and eggs in the Easter Commercial. Maybe they should have employed Dark Knight, he would set them straight that bunnies and eggs have nothing to do with Easter. Do they know something that Dark Knight does not?

Gee I wonder why that commercial is on at this time of year, in celebration of this holiday. Also I wonder why all of those Easter Eggs are in stores now and not all year round. I also wonder too, why all those kids "go on Easter Egg" hunts at this time of the year and not year round. Doesn't the White House have an "Easter Egg" hunt on the front lawn of the White House. Darn that "urban myth" it has even reached the White House. Someone has to set GWB et al straight that bunnies and eggs and the Easter Egg hunt has nothing to do with Easter. Maybe Dark Knight should ask for an "audience" with the Pres and his staff and advise them that bunnies and eggs are not associated with Easter.

Go figure, I guess they just bought into the "hype" that Easter, bunnies and eggs are all associated with a particular holiday.

But today I have to go out and buy chocolate easter eggs and chocolate easter bunnies, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I am purchasing these items at this time of the year and not at other times, because of course they ARE NOT associated with Easter. I further can't for the life of me figure out they are not in the stores year round.

Cyber, I dated a Jewish man for about a year and his family made me very welcome. I enjoyed all of the holidays that I spent with them and enjoyed hearing about the reasons behind all of their customs. They also enjoyed hearing about my Christian holidays and my family's customs. However, that's different than me being upset because some acquaintence at my office didn't invite me to celebrate their holiday. I wouldn't be offended if they didn't and I wouldn't expect them to not do their thing because I celebrate other holidays. Its all about respect, in my opinion. I respect them and their right to do their thing and they respect mine. No reason whatever for anyone to be offended. We're all different and that's what makes it great. Be awful boring life if we were all the same, IMO. :) :) :)

P.S. I wasn't talking to you with the "bite me" thing. :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I don't remember anything about intolerance for other peoples religion when I worked in Miami for a Jewish car dealer. Seems as if the showrooms had Christmas trees as well as menorahs. Those who were inclined could slip out to attend Ash Wednesday and Good Friday services without even having to punch out. The company also sent Christmas gifts out to customers. Also, we had fabulous Christmas parties. The Jewish son-in-law made a great Santa Claus. Now on the other hand, Jewish employees were not expected to work on the Jewish holidays and if it occured on a week day, then someone would cover their position if necessary. No hard feelings, no complaints, no grumbling. In addition, it's well known that essential services (fire, police, medical) have people who will fill in so that those of other religions can celebrate with their families. I would say that that goes beyond tolerance and is up there with acceptance and brotherly love.

BTW, this is in America !! It's only Canada (Quebec) in Hollywood, FL from November - March.

This to DK. I know the Easter Bunnies and colored eggs have nothing to do with the Resurrection as well as Santa and Christmas Trees have anything to do with the birth of Christ, but customs over centuries have absorbed them into the celebrations. They do seem to go with the seasons. Both are joyful occasions.

Jeana (DP) said:
Personally, I don't understand why the first feeling that someone experiences when they see something to do with a holiday that they don't participate in is to be offended. :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

There are plenty of occasions where people are celebrating something that I don't participate in, but I don't feel OFFENDED.

People have gotten WAYYYYYYYYY too oversensitive if an Easter Bunny or a Christmas Tree can unnerve them so badly that feel they need to "stand up for their rights." :truce: :twocents: Personally, I feel they have the right to go home and shut up about it, but that's just me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
and me too! (feel they have the right to go home and shut up about it)

Cyber, help me out here...you said this...

CyberLaw said:
Christians celebrate Easter to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Then this

CyberLaw said:
The Easter eggs and bunnies are reminents from the Pagan tradition of spring and fertility.
Then this
CyberLaw said:
But Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday are all Holidays celebrated in the Christain faith to commerate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Then this
CyberLaw said:
How anyone can "think" that at Easter, egss and bunnies do not represent the "Christian Holiday" and are not symbols of this "Christian Holiday" needs to rethink their facts and logic.
Please read your post, then reread it, and reread your previous posts, you are confusing me :)

In once sentence you state that Easter eggs and bunnies are reminent of a Pagan tradition of spring and fertility, (true) before stating that you said that Christians celebrate Easter to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (true)......then you state how can anyone think that Easter, eggs and bunnies do not represent the Christian Holiday........well you just explained it yourself.......Easter eggs and bunnies have absolutely nothing to do with our celebration for resurrection of Jesus...that is something 'the world' has incorporated, if I am making any sense. It's hard to come up against you Cyber because you are so wellspoken and have an awesome ability to express yourself in writing, this I do not have. Easter eggs and bunnies are NOT symbols of Christianity, just as Dark Knight suggested, and you yourself stated exactly that in what I am quoting. Or, could I be misunderstanding what you are saying? What I know I didn't misunderstand was you saying that "how can anyone think that easter eggs and bunnies do not represent the The Christian Holiday", I am telling you, as a Christian they do not, that is how the worldly celebrate Easter, with candy and bunnies and eggs, it has become a tradition, unrelating to the resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

Edit:
PS To all who don't like it, Get over it! Us Christians already know the outcome, we know who wins. We may not be winning all the battles, be we surely will win this war.

Well... we make Ukranian eggs on Easter and we're not Ukranian. I got some that are ten years old and if you GENTLY rattle them you can hear the hardened little egg yolks inside. :D

Jubie

christine2448 said:

[/font][/font]

Then this

Then this
Then this
Please read your post, then reread it, and reread your previous posts, you are confusing me :)

In once sentence you state that Easter eggs and bunnies are reminent of a Pagan tradition of spring and fertility, (true) before stating that you said that Christians celebrate Easter to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (true)......then you state how can anyone think that Easter, eggs and bunnies do not represent the Christian Holiday........well you just explained it yourself.......Easter eggs and bunnies have absolutely nothing to do with our celebration for resurrection of Jesus...that is something 'the world' has incorporated, if I am making any sense. It's hard to come up against you Cyber because you are so wellspoken and have an awesome ability to express yourself in writing, this I do not have. Easter eggs and bunnies are NOT symbols of Christianity, just as Dark Knight suggested, and you yourself stated exactly that in what I am quoting. Or, could I be misunderstanding what you are saying? What I know I didn't misunderstand was you saying that "how can anyone think that easter eggs and bunnies do not represent the The Christian Holiday", I am telling you, as a Christian they do not, that is how the worldly celebrate Easter, with candy and bunnies and eggs, it has become a tradition, unrelating to the resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

Edit:
PS To all who don't like it, Get over it! Us Christians already know the outcome, we know who wins. We may not be winning all the battles, be we surely will win this war.

Christian celebrations and Holidays were founded upon Pagan rituals and celebrations.

Amraann said:
Christian celebrations and Holidays were founded upon Pagan rituals and celebrations.
That isn't ENTIRELY true. But in this instance, the easter bunny is 100% non-Christian, so their rational is laughable. I guarantee there are millions of non-Christians hiding eggs for their kids and telling them a rabbit did it, lol.

BarnGoddess said:
I don't remember anything about intolerance for other peoples religion when I worked in Miami for a Jewish car dealer. Seems as if the showrooms had Christmas trees as well as menorahs. Those who were inclined could slip out to attend Ash Wednesday and Good Friday services without even having to punch out. The company also sent Christmas gifts out to customers. Also, we had fabulous Christmas parties. The Jewish son-in-law made a great Santa Claus. Now on the other hand, Jewish employees were not expected to work on the Jewish holidays and if it occured on a week day, then someone would cover their position if necessary. No hard feelings, no complaints, no grumbling. In addition, it's well known that essential services (fire, police, medical) have people who will fill in so that those of other religions can celebrate with their families. I would say that that goes beyond tolerance and is up there with acceptance and brotherly love.

BTW, this is in America !! It's only Canada (Quebec) in Hollywood, FL from November - March.

This to DK. I know the Easter Bunnies and colored eggs have nothing to do with the Resurrection as well as Santa and Christmas Trees have anything to do with the birth of Christ, but customs over centuries have absorbed them into the celebrations. They do seem to go with the seasons. Both are joyful occasions.
Christmas trees do have Christian symbolism. The tree becomes the cross that He died on (that's why many people hang a nail on their Christmas tree) the evergreen represents everlasting life, etc.

christine2448 said:

[/font][/font]

Then this

Then this
Then this

Edit:

Those were my thoughts when reading it, as well, lol! CL pretty much proved my point that bunnies and eggs are not Christian symbols. I never said they haven't been used to celebrate Easter in a secular (which mean non-religious, CL) way. :angel:

jubie said:
Well... we make Ukranian eggs on Easter and we're not Ukranian. I got some that are ten years old and if you GENTLY rattle them you can hear the hardened little egg yolks inside. :D

Jubie
Oh, those sound cool! How do you make them? Or should I not make them since I am not Ukranian, either? LOL! My late, beloved Grandma and I used to blow the yolks out of the eggs and then decorate them so they'd last years. Boy was it hard blowing the yolk out of those tiny holes, lol!

Dark Knight said:
Oh, those sound cool! How do you make them? Or should I not make them since I am not Ukranian, either? LOL! My late, beloved Grandma and I used to blow the yolks out of the eggs and then decorate them so they'd last years. Boy was it hard blowing the yolk out of those tiny holes, lol!
Now DK, I hope you and your Grandmother didn't do this as part of an Easter tradition,LOL, kidding. Bunnies and eggs and Easter don't go together.

As for those Ukranian eggs. A couple of years ago, a friend asked if we'd put aside some white farm eggs for her. I didn't know she was having an expert on Ukranian egg painting over to her church for a lesson and afternoon of decorating. She said I could have come. She said they needed farm eggs as the commercial eggs had a coating on them and didn't take the designs well.

DK, we blew the eggs also. Did it as a project for Girl Scouts. We planted a pretty tree branch in plaster of paris and painted it. Then we took the egg shells and painted and decorated them with ribbons and sequins, etc. and hung them on our trees. My tree was an Easter centerpiece for years.

DK, I never heard of the nail in the Christmas tree custom. Interesting.

BarnGoddess said:
Now DK, I hope you and your Grandmother didn't do this as part of an Easter tradition,LOL, kidding. Bunnies and eggs and Easter don't go together.

As for those Ukranian eggs. A couple of years ago, a friend asked if we'd put aside some white farm eggs for her. I didn't know she was having an expert on Ukranian egg painting over to her church for a lesson and afternoon of decorating. She said I could have come. She said they needed farm eggs as the commercial eggs had a coating on them and didn't take the designs well.

DK, we blew the eggs also. Did it as a project for Girl Scouts. We planted a pretty tree branch in plaster of paris and painted it. Then we took the egg shells and painted and decorated them with ribbons and sequins, etc. and hung them on our trees. My tree was an Easter centerpiece for years.

DK, I never heard of the nail in the Christmas tree custom. Interesting.
Here are some versions of the nail in the Christmas tree custom:

http://www.santalady.com/xmasgame/stories/nails.html

Dark Knight said:

You'd have to go to a craft store to get the proper wax, colour and funky little stick to melt the wax into and draw on your egg. Then dip it in one colour for a few minutes and then 'wax draw' some more and add to another colour and so on.... The egg is covered with the wax and you warm it slightly (200 in the oven for maybe ten mins) Then polish off the wax and you've got a gorgeus egg. The real ones are left with the egg inside and will putrify over many years (DON"T BREAK EM!!!!)

Go to a craft store and they'll walk you through it (And no they don't have to look like true Ukranian Eggs!!

Jubie

Dark Knight said:
Here are some versions of the nail in the Christmas tree custom:

http://www.santalady.com/xmasgame/stories/nails.html
Thank you DK. I read your link. I have plenty of horse shoe nails around, both new and used. I will hang a nail on our tree next year. I know that a cousin of the BarnGod got a number of horse shoe nails from us to make gifts this past Christmas. He fashioned them into crosses.

BhamMama said:
Snip

Maybe more should be upset that they have taken your holiday and made it into a commercial jingle and taken the reason you celebrate it out of the whole affair. I know if I hadn't told my kids they'd not know why you celebrate it, they'd only know the commercial side of it.
[/font]

You are exactly right!

jubie said:
You'd have to go to a craft store to get the proper wax, colour and funky little stick to melt the wax into and draw on your egg. Then dip it in one colour for a few minutes and then 'wax draw' some more and add to another colour and so on.... The egg is covered with the wax and you warm it slightly (200 in the oven for maybe ten mins) Then polish off the wax and you've got a gorgeus egg. The real ones are left with the egg inside and will putrify over many years (DON"T BREAK EM!!!!)

Go to a craft store and they'll walk you through it (And no they don't have to look like true Ukranian Eggs!!

Jubie
Thank you!!!! They sound neat!

Isn't the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus more representative to children than religion? I'm not sure of any specifics but Santa Claus is acknowledged all over the world and that can't be just christians can it?

Just for your information DK. www.inventors.about.com

Christians consider eggs to be "the seed of life" and so they are symbolic of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

People celebrate the holiday according to their beliefs and their religious denominations. Christians commemorate Good Friday as the day that Jesus Christ died and Easter Sunday as the day that He was resurrected.

Children hunt for the eggs all around the house. Neighborhoods and organizations hold Easter egg hunts, and the child who finds the most eggs wins a prize.

The Easter Bunny is a rabbit-spirit. Long ago, he was called the" Easter Hare." Hares and rabbits have frequent multiple births so they became a symbol of fertility. The custom of an Easter egg hunt began because children believed that hares laid eggs in the grass. The Romans believed that "All life comes from an egg."

www.answers.com
The noun Easter egg has 2 meanings:
Meaning #1: an egg-shaped candy used to celebrate Easter

Meaning #2: a colored hard-boiled egg used to celebrate Easter

www.prime.org.com

From "The American Book of Days," by George William Douglas we read: "As the festival of Eostre was a celebration of the renewal of life in the spring it was easy to make it a celebration of the resurrection from the dead of Jesus. There is no doubt that the Church (of Rome) in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a "Christian" meaning to them.

The Easter egg takes us back to some of the oldest known civilizations on earth where the symbol of an egg played an important part in mythical accounts of the creation of the world. According to this tale heaven and earth were formed from the two halves of a mysterious World-Egg. The Easter egg is associated with this World-Egg, the original germ from which all life proceeds, and whose shell is the firmament. So there is a heathen connection between the egg and the ideas or feelings of birth, new life, and creation.
Easter eggs do have a very long ancestry. In their modern chocolate or cardboard form they date only from the later years of the last century, but giving real eggs, colored or gilded at Easter and also at the pre-Christian spring celebrations are infinitely older.

Long before the Christian era, eggs were regarded as symbols of continuing life and resurrection. The ancient Persians and Greeks exchanged them at their spring festivals when all things in nature revived after the winter. To the early pagans converted to "Christianity" under Emperor Constantine's rule, eggs seemed the obvious symbols of the Lord's resurrection and were therefore considered "holy" and appropriate gifts at Easter time. Pope Paul V appointed a prayer in which the eggs were "blessed." The eggs could then be eaten in thankfulness to God on account of the resurrection of the Lord.

Gee from everything I have read eggs especially Easter eggs have everything to do with the celebration. There I go buying into the "myth" that again.

:waitasec: Can't for the life of me figure out once why this assocation is made. Everyone else also.........

Maybe DK can go and "spread the word" that eggs and bunnies have nothing to do with Easter and are not symbols of Easter.

Shout it from the rooftops..........go to Church and tell them that.

I am sure everyone will agree with DK's view of "eggs and bunnies" are not symbols of Easter................all of history will have to be changed according to DK's view that Easter and Easter Eggs and the Bunnies that lay the eggs have nothing to do with Easter Sunday.

Gee wonder why so many people worldwide are "under the wrong" impression, I guess they have not spoken to DK yet. :rolleyes:

CyberLaw said:
Just for your information DK. www.inventors.about.com

Christians consider eggs to be "the seed of life" and so they are symbolic of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

People celebrate the holiday according to their beliefs and their religious denominations. Christians commemorate Good Friday as the day that Jesus Christ died and Easter Sunday as the day that He was resurrected.

Children hunt for the eggs all around the house. Neighborhoods and organizations hold Easter egg hunts, and the child who finds the most eggs wins a prize.

The Easter Bunny is a rabbit-spirit. Long ago, he was called the" Easter Hare." Hares and rabbits have frequent multiple births so they became a symbol of fertility. The custom of an Easter egg hunt began because children believed that hares laid eggs in the grass. The Romans believed that "All life comes from an egg."

www.answers.com
The noun Easter egg has 2 meanings:
Meaning #1: an egg-shaped candy used to celebrate Easter

Meaning #2: a colored hard-boiled egg used to celebrate Easter

www.prime.org.com

From "The American Book of Days," by George William Douglas we read: "As the festival of Eostre was a celebration of the renewal of life in the spring it was easy to make it a celebration of the resurrection from the dead of Jesus. There is no doubt that the Church (of Rome) in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a "Christian" meaning to them.

The Easter egg takes us back to some of the oldest known civilizations on earth where the symbol of an egg played an important part in mythical accounts of the creation of the world. According to this tale heaven and earth were formed from the two halves of a mysterious World-Egg. The Easter egg is associated with this World-Egg, the original germ from which all life proceeds, and whose shell is the firmament. So there is a heathen connection between the egg and the ideas or feelings of birth, new life, and creation.
Easter eggs do have a very long ancestry. In their modern chocolate or cardboard form they date only from the later years of the last century, but giving real eggs, colored or gilded at Easter and also at the pre-Christian spring celebrations are infinitely older.

Long before the Christian era, eggs were regarded as symbols of continuing life and resurrection. The ancient Persians and Greeks exchanged them at their spring festivals when all things in nature revived after the winter. To the early pagans converted to "Christianity" under Emperor Constantine's rule, eggs seemed the obvious symbols of the Lord's resurrection and were therefore considered "holy" and appropriate gifts at Easter time. Pope Paul V appointed a prayer in which the eggs were "blessed." The eggs could then be eaten in thankfulness to God on account of the resurrection of the Lord.

Gee from everything I have read eggs especially Easter eggs have everything to do with the celebration. There I go buying into the "myth" that again.

:waitasec: Can't for the life of me figure out once why this assocation is made. Everyone else also.........

Maybe DK can go and "spread the word" that eggs and bunnies have nothing to do with Easter and are not symbols of Easter.

Shout it from the rooftops..........go to Church and tell them that.

I am sure everyone will agree with DK's view of "eggs and bunnies" are not symbols of Easter................all of history will have to be changed according to DK's view that Easter and Easter Eggs and the Bunnies that lay the eggs have nothing to do with Easter Sunday.

Gee wonder why so many people worldwide are "under the wrong" impression, I guess they have not spoken to DK yet. :rolleyes:
Very interesting stuff Cyberlaw....I thank you for doing the research and providing us with this information, none of which I had every heard of.

I believe that all that you have posted has been lost over the years, or never made it to our parts of the world to begin with, maybe. I have never heard of, or been taught in church or anywhere the information you posted. Maybe this is true for religions in other countries, but not any church I have ever been to.

Still I find it fascinating and appreciate you taking the time to educate us.

I would like to know where you got all this information, a link, I went to the links posted but didn't see anything relating to what you are posting. Or are these just your words and opinions, "Christians consider eggs to be "the seed of life" and so they are symbolic of the resurrection of Jesus Christ"....where did you get that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back