Do the defense really believe they can get a 'Not guilty" verdict

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think she lives in a world where she thinks she can explain anything away. She's done it her whole life, so why not now? So yes, I think she believes she will be found not guilty.

Once a case goes to trial, a "not guilty" plea does not matter anymore. If you want the case to go to trial, you have to plead "not guilty". That's the only reason for it (other than trying to plead it out).

But, again, this would mean that the state will not accept a LWOP plea deal. However, the general view is that the state have offered, and are still amenable to, a LWOP plea deal.

The only way that would make sense is if ICA is refusing to plead out for LWOP notwithstanding Counsel's advice.
Or it could mean KC refused a LWOP deal. I really haven't a clue if KC was offered such a deal. But she doesn't have to be offered a deal; she can change her plea to guilty at any time, which would most likely result in 20-life, or LWOP.

Again, just my own speculations.

Or it could mean KC refused a LWOP deal. I really haven't a clue if KC was offered such a deal. But she doesn't have to be offered a deal; she can change her plea to guilty at any time, which would most likely result in 20-life, or LWOP.

Again, just my own speculations.

Thanks for your post.

If she pled to FDM then the only two sentencing options would be LWOP or the DP. I very much think it unlikely that her Attorneys would advise her to make such a plea without the state agreeing no to seek the DP. Even in cases where the evidence was overwhelming (and, to clarify, far greater than that in the present case) where the DT are only aiming to avoid the DP and nothing more, the Defendants (at least in FL) do not tend to plead guilty from what I can see unless such a deal is agreed to by the prosecutors. The two examples that spring to mind are Joseph Smith and John Couey.

I don't see her getting anything less than LWOP. I listened intently to the charges and the one about the negligence really got to me, sounded like even if she did go out for a good time, she was STILL the Responsible parent and would be guilty of leaving Caylee in a place where she could be injured. Like saying she didn't care where Caylee was, she gave no serious thought to Caylee's well being on a daily basis, as long as she had a good time for herself. Between the 31 days and the lies, no matter what she said now, it just does not look good for ica. Unless she or her DT has something solid to back up what she might say to implicate someone else, she's got a dead end road she's going down right now.

I think they are just trying to save her life at this point. There first hope is a hung jury, the second is LWOP. MOo

All the rabbits have been pulled out of the DT's hat and promptly shot by the judge..............rabbit stew was served after the Frye hearings.............it gave ICA indigestion.............now they are just trying to keep her from getting a pointy little needle stuck into her.............wasn't there a syringe found in a gaterade bottle near Caylee's remains.............that one will do..........no need to use a fresh one. Not worried about her getting an infection.

No - they don't believe they can save her anymore........JMHO

This case has held my attention from the beginning. To me, there is very little chance of an aquittal here because KC and her defense are always going to have to deal with the issue of when the child was reported missing. I suppose that KC can say that she didn't report her child missing sooner because she was trying to get her back but there is other evidence that will refute her claim. I've tried not to make up my mind about KC's guilt or innocence until all the evidence has been presented, but it's been very difficult for me to get around the issue of when the child was reported missing. I suspect that it will be equally difficult, if not more so, for the 12 men and women tasked with deliberating this case. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes...

Attorneys are only as effective as the clients they represent. Ultimately, it is the client who will spend the rest of her life behind bars or on death row, so the client has to be the one who makes that final critical call: plead it out or take it to trial. That said, I don't think that her attorneys may have recommended it as vociferously as they perhaps should have. Everyone seems to have their own agenda. Clearly Baez is a publicity hound looking to ride to fame on this case, and CM appears to be a longstanding showboat as well. I can respect the integrity of an anti-death penalty lawyer like Andrea Lyons, as my own feelings on the DP have fluctuated over the years, although I do believe it is proper in some cases. Maybe the true reason Lyons left this case is that she could no longer represent someone in good conscience whom she believed was being counseled in a manner that would end with her execution. WEre I the defendant in this case, I would have definitely taken the plea.

Attorneys are only as effective as the clients they represent. Ultimately, it is the client who will spend the rest of her life behind bars or on death row, so the client has to be the one who makes that final critical call: plead it out or take it to trial. That said, I don't think that her attorneys may have recommended it as vociferously as they perhaps should have. Everyone seems to have their own agenda. Clearly Baez is a publicity hound looking to ride to fame on this case, and CM appears to be a longstanding showboat as well. I can respect the integrity of an anti-death penalty lawyer like Andrea Lyons, as my own feelings on the DP have fluctuated over the years, although I do believe it is proper in some cases. Maybe the true reason Lyons left this case is that she could no longer represent someone in good conscience whom she believed was being counseled in a manner that would end with her execution. WEre I the defendant in this case, I would have definitely taken the plea.

Indeed, Ms. Lyon has plead out many cases, IIRC. Though her altruism is not convincing to me-If KC was heading for the needle, it would tarnish Ms. Lyon's perfect record, and that's her money-maker.

Before Caylee's body was found a letter from JB to the SA surfaced that indicated they might be negotiating a deal. Though it wasn't publicly discussed, the SA had taken the DP off the table publicly, then the letter surfaced. Then Caylee's body was found. At that point the SA put the DP back on the table. And I don't remember for sure but I believe the SA even acknowleged that there had been some discussion about a deal.

Thank you for explaining that for me, mysteriew. :)

At the time the plea deal was being discussed, Caylee's body hadn't been found. And I believe that part of that deal may have been to give info on where it might be found.

But once the body was found, the DP went back on the table and the plea deal was withdrawn. Remember it takes agreement on both sides for a plea deal and after all that has happened, I wouldn't look for a deal.

IMO the defense knows she is going to prison. I believe they are just working to get the lowest charge they can get. Manslaughter or even 2 nd degree. Anything but LWOP or DP.

Thank you for saying this, and I want to add: once the remains were discovered so near to the Anthony house, and with three layers of duct tape wrapped around Caylee's head such that the tape was stuck to her hair and was so tightly applied that her mandible was held in place after her flesh was no longer there--

THEN and only then did the State put the Death Penalty back on the table.

I am glad for the intense voir dire. Because when this verdict comes in I do not want there to be one iota of doubt in anyone's mind that it is the best and most correct verdict possible.
:cow:

If Casey were to plea would Jose still be credited as a death penalty attorney or would that be shortening the process if they didn't proceed with a jury trial? Jose is out for a feather in his cap.

Kathi Belich said that Casey had the opportunity to plead before jury selection but turned it down. Speculation as to whether this was true or not but it is on the wftv website.

Yes, before jury selection began she was asked by CJBP if she wished to enter a plea at that time. She refused that offer. It is my understanding that she will be offered that opportunity again before the trial starts. For more information, visit the Verified Lawyers thread.

This case has held my attention from the beginning. To me, there is very little chance of an aquittal here because KC and her defense are always going to have to deal with the issue of when the child was reported missing. I suppose that KC can say that she didn't report her child missing sooner because she was trying to get her back but there is other evidence that will refute her claim. I've tried not to make up my mind about KC's guilt or innocence until all the evidence has been presented, but it's been very difficult for me to get around the issue of when the child was reported missing. I suspect that it will be equally difficult, if not more so, for the 12 men and women tasked with deliberating this case. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes...

Combine this with that first phone call home...you know, the "all they care about is Caylee"...."calling you, a waste, huge waste"...etc. will seal the deal!

Ok, heading back toward "on topic"... No, I do not think anyone on the DT truly believes they can get a not-guilty verdict. IMO that is why AF read off all of those mitigating circumstances today. It's why JB spent so much time trying the case in front of 1340.

IMO they KNOW they are heading toward a guilty verdict, and they are planning and playing for the following/sentencing phase right now.

I think she'll get at the least 15-25 years, and at the most LWOP..I have a weird feeling HHJP won't sentence her to die, he just wants her to know how serious this is.

I don't believe the defense thinks they can get a not guilty verdict. Hence Ms. Finnell going through mitigation circumstances in jury selection. That's their only hope is to keep her alive. MOO.

Not even the most arrogant, egotistical, delusional defender could seriously believe that Casey Anthony will ever walk free again. As others have said, this is just a matter of saving her from the lethal injection. (For what, though? Fifty years behind bars instead of the 20 an appeal would take?)

Someone should have vociferously argued to her the benefits of a plea because a guilty verdict is a given and with the sticker on the duct tape + the pix of her partying as her daughter rotted, she will receive the death penalty. No doubt.

Not even the most arrogant, egotistical, delusional defender could seriously believe that Casey Anthony will ever walk free again. As others have said, this is just a matter of saving her from the lethal injection. (For what, though? Fifty years behind bars instead of the 20 an appeal would take?)

Someone should have vociferously argued to her the benefits of a plea because a guilty verdict is a given and with the sticker on the duct tape + the pix of her partying as her daughter rotted, she will receive the death penalty. No doubt.

Someone who cared about their client probably would have. However, the leeches she has for defense attorney's are in it for themselves, therefor they MUST go to trial. MOO. Not that it bothers me any. She was a user all her life, so it's only fitting she get used in her most dire hour.

Someone who cared about their client probably would have. However, the leeches she has for defense attorney's are in it for themselves, therefor they MUST go to trial. MOO. Not that it bothers me any. She was a user all her life, so it's only fitting she get used in her most dire hour.

Do you think DT wanted a plea to lesser charges and the DA refused?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tboyle
Back