Do you feel bad for Casey because of how she was brought up?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!!! I thought this would be an interesting thread to bring up and see everyone's thoughts on it. Great opinions here that everyone has shared to the thread. You guys all make some really great points!

I was watching one of the HLN news shows and one of the professionals was talking about how sad she thought it was that KC couldn't even tell her own mother that she was pregnant. She said you should be able to go to your mom about something like that and that she found it sad that KC couldn't do that.

Just curious if anyone feels bad for KC because how Cindy treated her growing up? The reason I am asking this is because I have been sitting here wondering if Cindy was abusive physically towards KC because of that whole choking her bit for stealing the checks.

ETA: I am talking about separate from Caylee's death bc there is NO EXCUSE what so ever for KC killing Caylee and I agree her up bringing had nothing to do with that. I agree with all those that answered the question that how you are treated growing up doesn't make you a murderer.

OH HECK NO!!! If I had stole from family I can bet I'd have been choked too then sent to jail.
She had life easy as far as I'm concerned. She blew it big time.
imo moo etc....

Please one of my friends growing up had a drunken abusive father that beat him with an electrical cord every day and told no one. He became an adult and started his own company, got married, had kids and never killed or abused them. At the most KC was spoiled so much she never attempted to grow up and came to realize that having to play mommy was lame. I also have male cousin just like Casey and I expect to see him in prison one day because his parents never put their foot down and continue treating him like he is 15.

No not at all. IMO ICA was a ticking time bomb that everyone in the family tip toed around. I think it got to a point where CA had enough and lost it for a moment. I think even CA figured out she couldn't control ICA by pacifying her and when ICA made her look bad to her parents that was it. The hard part about living with a sociopath is anything can set them off. I dont think the A's thought ICA would ever hurt Caylee but I do think they knew she could be dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if they werent hiding what ICA has done in the past and that was the family secret.

Well, I think I'm kind of the exception here. I do believe that how children are parented is hugely significant in how they develop psychologically. It's also true that many children are able to turn out okay despite not very good parenting, but some, for whatever reason (inborn sensitivities, etc.) are more profoundly affected than others. I don't think that people are born sociopaths or psychopaths, I think they become that way because of interactions between their genetic make up and how they are parented. Just my opinion, but based on a lot of reading.

I feel sorry for Casey because she is not capable of feeling the emotions that I think are the best parts of life: love for others. She may have faked being a "good mother" well enough to fool her peers, but she didn't love Caylee. For me, the love I feel for my children (and now grandchildren) has been incredibly profound and enriching. She didn't love her boyfriends - even while she was working on moving in with Tony she was screwing around with other men and keeping some back-up guys in place. And she obviously didn't love her parents. Think how sad your life would be if you didn't love the people you love. She probably doesn't know what she's missing, but I think there is a deep emptiness inside her.

I believe that inability to love and care for others came from the way she was parented. You don't have to be abusive to raise a child who is unable to attach to others. People here talk a lot about Casey being spoiled, but I actually suspect that her life started out rather differently. We can see how controlling Cindy is, and how willing she is to lie. I think Casey's early childhood (the time of life when personality is shaped) was one of strict control, and I think Casey learned that she was only loved or wanted when she was doing exactly what Cindy wanted her to. I also suspect she saw Cindy lying and was lied to by Cindy and realized she could not trust her. That kind of experience can make a child shut down from attaching to anyone, because it is too painful.

I think it was only when Casey got older and Cindy saw the threat of the "perfect-family" image being shattered that they began to cover up her stories and avoid confrontation. This happens a lot when little kids have been over-controlled; once they get into their teen years and parents can't control them anymore the way they once did, the roles almost reverse.

So yes, I feel sorry for her. I don't believe she was born this way, and I don't think she chose to be the kind of person she is. I don't think any of us do - some of us are able to overcome difficult childhoods but some are crushed by them. And having said all that, I think it is a terrible and appalling thing that she did to Caylee; I believe she is guilty of murder.

I agree: Casey is was a product of her upbringing.
I suspect that being raised in such a dysfunctional household...and especially by an over-controlling, dishonest, manipulative mother could cause a child to develop the disorder - Reactive Attachment Disorder; which causes the inability to TRUST AND BOND WITH OTHERS.

I personally see no evidence that KC was bonded with her parents; other family members, or her daughter.
It appears that KC lacked "true," long-term friends, too. One doesn't lie to, cheat on, and steal from "true friends" in my opinion.

Although much emphasizes has been placed on KC's new "love relationship" with Tony: As stated ...she was sleeping around with other guys; and had no real, honest committment to any of them.

OF COURSE - none of this excuses or justifies KC killing Caylee.

The above is my own opinion.

Malignant narcissists are not to be pitied. They are to be feared.

I too believe that CA may have choked ICA. I don't think that it was over her stealing though. ICA had been stealing from her for years with CA's knownledge. I think that if she choked her it may of been because of something that ICA had done to Caylee or something she exposed Caylee to. That's why I think that CA wouldn't admit to a fight with ICA. If she admitted to it then she would of had to admit to what ICA had done to Caylee or maybe even the life style ICA exposed Caylee to. I do believe that CA loved Caylee dearly. Caylee was at an age that she could tell Cece about her day. CA knows a lot more then she'll ever tell. There has to be more to the story of why she was wanting to take Caylee away from ICA. I don't think that it was only because ICA was stealing and lying. It had to be either the way that ICA was treating Caylee, or neglecting Caylee or the life style that ICA exposed Caylee to. We've seen photos on line of where little Caylee had bruises on different sides of her face at different times. In one she also appeared to have a black eye. I think that CA may have been questioning ICA on these issues. In the photos where Caylee was at home in GA and Cece's house, she was well groomed. In the photos where Caylee was with ICA at her boyfriends apartment, where she had the bruises she looks unkept. I think that ICA wanted to get rid of Caylee as well as her parents. It was easy for her to kill Caylee, she just hadn't figured out how to get rid of her parents. It appears that she was searching for ways to do so. I do think that it was a good idea for the A's to sit in court with ICA. I'm pretty sure that GA has seen the real ICA. CA on the other hand has only seen a reflection of herself. These are IMO. Do I feel bad for KC/ICA? In no way, shape or form. She is evil incarnate.

BBM

Very good point!

Nope! She knew right from wrong and she proved that by hiding the body... plain and simple. A BAD SEED indeed.

I had one brief second one day in trial. She was sitting all alone at the DT. But then reality smacked me upside the head and all sanity was restored.

Well, I think I'm kind of the exception here. I do believe that how children are parented is hugely significant in how they develop psychologically. It's also true that many children are able to turn out okay despite not very good parenting, but some, for whatever reason (inborn sensitivities, etc.) are more profoundly affected than others. I don't think that people are born sociopaths or psychopaths, I think they become that way because of interactions between their genetic make up and how they are parented. Just my opinion, but based on a lot of reading.

I feel sorry for Casey because she is not capable of feeling the emotions that I think are the best parts of life: love for others. She may have faked being a "good mother" well enough to fool her peers, but she didn't love Caylee. For me, the love I feel for my children (and now grandchildren) has been incredibly profound and enriching. She didn't love her boyfriends - even while she was working on moving in with Tony she was screwing around with other men and keeping some back-up guys in place. And she obviously didn't love her parents. Think how sad your life would be if you didn't love the people you love. She probably doesn't know what she's missing, but I think there is a deep emptiness inside her.

I believe that inability to love and care for others came from the way she was parented. You don't have to be abusive to raise a child who is unable to attach to others. People here talk a lot about Casey being spoiled, but I actually suspect that her life started out rather differently. We can see how controlling Cindy is, and how willing she is to lie. I think Casey's early childhood (the time of life when personality is shaped) was one of strict control, and I think Casey learned that she was only loved or wanted when she was doing exactly what Cindy wanted her to. I also suspect she saw Cindy lying and was lied to by Cindy and realized she could not trust her. That kind of experience can make a child shut down from attaching to anyone, because it is too painful.

I think it was only when Casey got older and Cindy saw the threat of the "perfect-family" image being shattered that they began to cover up her stories and avoid confrontation. This happens a lot when little kids have been over-controlled; once they get into their teen years and parents can't control them anymore the way they once did, the roles almost reverse.

So yes, I feel sorry for her. I don't believe she was born this way, and I don't think she chose to be the kind of person she is. I don't think any of us do - some of us are able to overcome difficult childhoods but some are crushed by them. And having said all that, I think it is a terrible and appalling thing that she did to Caylee; I believe she is guilty of murder.

Fantastic post. I totally agree!

I guess I'm just mean and hateful, but I don't feel sorry for Casey at all. I'm sure her parents didn't make her become Evil. My mother was abusive, verbally, emotionally, and physically, plus she always told me I embarrassed her. One day I was driving her home from an extended family party we attended, I was an adult with a grown child of my own, and she again told me I embarrassed her "in front of all those people". I simply looked at her and said, "By now, you should be expecting it". She never said that to me again. I guess it was her way of trying to control me and she finally realized no matter how much she preached to me, I would always behave "inappropriately" in her mind.

Yes, it's difficult to overcome abusive parents, it can scar a person's life forever, if allowed. I chose to not allow it. I chose to let my mother be "embarrassed" for many years, knowing full well she didn't like it. In her eyes, I never said anything right, I never did anything right, I never chose proper friends, proper job, nothing. I was able to toss it aside most of the time, mostly because I knew it drove her crazy when I didn't let it bother me.

Now it was much more difficult for my much younger sister. She couldn't tolerate any of it and took it personally. The day she turned 18, she moved out of our parents' house and only saw our mother on special occasions, perhaps maybe four times a year.

I do see a lot of my mother in Cindy Anthony, with one exception, my mother would have never covered for me if I had murdered my child. My mom would have killed me right then and there, and she would have been the one locked up. NO WAY would my mother have lied for me while my baby was rotting somewhere.

Just for the record, I haven't killed my kid -- yet. :floorlaugh: She's taller than me, stronger than me, and 30 years younger. I'd get the worst part of a brawl and I know it. :rocker:

ETA: I just read the thread and maybe I'm not as mean and hateful as I first thought. :wink: Like others said, at least Casey wasn't living in squalor, she had clothes to wear, food to eat, and a roof over her head. Many have had worse and didn't grow up to be like Casey. There's just no excuse.

Tink, thank you so much for this beautiful, well thought out and presented post. It really charged up my brain cells.

I followed every step of the way; considering that Cindy may have been controlling without showing enough love (even though I believe it is the parents' responsibility to teach limits of what is morally and socially acceptable).

I got lost, though, in the last paragraph. I believe that unless one is born with some genetic defect, they have the responsibility to choose the person who they become. We have many, many examples of those who have done just that ~ many are members of our WS group here.

Each of us are challenged, in everyday life, to rise above our selfish desires and deny the easiest path. None of us succeed with every effort but to fail to put forth the effort to be a decent human being garners no sympathy from me.

Casey was given, at the least, many material advantages. She was definitely taught right from wrong. Granted, she knew to lie when she had done something wrong but, nonetheless, she knew right from wrong. But the choice to do wrong was still hers. And she chose wrong.

Nurture versus nature. Are there any bad children? I certainly don't know the answer to this age old question. But I certainly do know a lot of people who had much worse circumstances than Casey while growing up who have become not only contributing members of our society but real heros. They made a good choice. Knowing those people makes it much easier for me to say that I can't feel much sorrow for Casey.

Sure I feel so sorry for spoiled pseudo adults.

I have an aunt and uncle that have a 25 yo son (same age as KC). They spoiled their son and daughter the same way but, their son has been in so much trouble that it isn't even funny bad checks, mortgaging their home, fraud, stealing, lying, domestic abuse (parents, girlfriend, grandmother), possible murder, etc. etc. . His parents always bail him out.

He may have even killed his grandmother because a few weeks after her burial he went kinda strange asking everyone if his grandmother would seek revenge in the afterlife. His parents assumed he was talking about the time he was angry with her and made her stand in the corner all day till she used the bathroom on herself and laughed at her.

The coroner said she had a heart attack but, nearly all family members (on my side) wonder if he frightened her to death.His grandmother wasn't related to me so it was hard to pull info from them about her death and they buried her very quickly.

My point is that their spoiled daughter has done well with herself despite being enabled like her brother. She broke free, went to college, got married, owns her own business. Their son is a sociopath and has been diagnosed as such. I spoke about this in 2008 and now his grandmother is dead. I hope that in a couple more years that my aunt and uncle aren't harmed.

i apologize for not having read everyone's responses. i saw a sea of "no's" and had to chime in with my own differing opinion. so i am sorry if there are any "yeses" out there whose ideas i repeated. but here are my :twocents:...

Just curious if anyone feels bad for KC because how Cindy treated her growing up? The reason I am asking this is because I have been sitting here wondering if Cindy was abusive physically towards KC because of that whole choking her bit for stealing the checks.

ETA: I am talking about separate from Caylee's death bc there is NO EXCUSE what so ever for KC killing Caylee and I agree her up bringing had nothing to do with that. I agree with all those that answered the question that how you are treated growing up doesn't make you a murderer.

yes, i do, very much so in fact.

if we were asking about whether this excuses her in any way, i would say a resounding HECK NO, GIVE THAT [you know whatski] THE CHAIR. but, knowing that she was a child once, and that she grew up in that house, and that she NEVER got the help she needed to become a functional, competent human being? that her mom is CA? that she told AD that she needed to be committed/get help and then was magically better after talking to her mom (who IMO talked her out of it, said she'd take care of her, etc etc)? that makes me sad.

(note: i may be projecting on whether or not CA talked her out of it. my own personal experience was that i was incredibly suicidal and was talked out of getting help by my parents several times, mostly because they didn't want anyone to know just how bad things really were in our house. i thank my lucky stars i somehow managed to get out of that toxic relationship and get some help. some days i think it is a miracle i am even alive! but i have had that conversation before, with worried friends who i'd confide in who would support my desire to get help... only to tell them i talked to my parents, things are better now, it'll all be fine, no worries! and how fleeting that always was...)

i feel bad for any child who grows up in a dysfunctional household. i know what a struggle it is, to confront the demons of your past, to be haunted by childhood memories you'd previously always denied. someone has a quote in their sig saying that child abuse casts a shadow that lasts a lifetime, and it is so true. no child deserves that. children deserve happiness and love and laughter and an understanding of how the world works and how to be happy.

i feel bad for the ICA of yesteryear, who DID NOT grow up properly. i feel bad now, wondering what could have been if someone, anyone, had really truly taken her narcissistic/sociopathic tendencies seriously at an earlier age, gotten her into some effective treatment for the treatment-resistant (such as narcissists), wondering what she would have been like if she had been held accountable for ANY of the cr@p she tried to pull.

i feel bad for anyone who could not possibly understand LOVE, what it is like to spend the days with your beloved toddler and watch them grow and feel SO MUCH love for them your heart could burst. i feel bad for anyone who has no empathy, because if you are missing out on the experience of love - for your parents, your kids, your partner, your pets, your friends, ANYONE - what kind of life do you really have going for you? i am so blessed to have so much love and support in my life from family and friends. my children light up my whole spirit. i can't imagine what it is like to just... not experience that. i feel bad/sad for those with untreated rampant mental health issues and for those who were not protected as children.

i feel bad for ICA, that she is such a horrible shell of a human being, that she grew up the way she did.

in general i feel bad for anyone who is very, very angry and full of rage, because i can't help but wonder: what happened to you to make you this way? how difficult is it for you to actually BE this way day after day, year after year? what kind of stresses are your body and mind going through, dealing with this?

i think if mental health issues did not carry such a great stigma and that we really treated them better from childhood on, and if we were better at protecting children from abuse/neglect, MANY of the problems the world suffers would be lessened.

that said, i think it is the responsibility of anyone in that situation, once they are able to escape, to address it rather than bury it. i never wanted to go into therapy and address the abuse, and even now that i've been at it for years i do not enjoy it in the slightest. more than anything i'd love to amputate that part of me and continue on with my life. but i know it isn't possible, and i know that the BEST thing for my kids is to have a healthy mom who is comfortable talking about her depression and actively treating it. if they should ever suffer from the mental health issues that run on both sides of my family, i want them to know that it is a problem that can be worked on and taken care of, not something scary that everyone's going to pretend isn't happening because no one wants to deal with it. i grew up that way and would never want that for them. i love them and want their lives to be miles better than mine.

i think it's unfair to compare, but all the same, i'm gonna hazard a guess that my childhood was worse than hers (i certainly was nobody's princess and i certainly could not get away with ANYTHING), and i love my children to the ends of the earth and would probably claw someone's eyes out if they even JOKED about treating them for THIRTY SECONDS the way caylee was treated in her too-short life. so does this excuse casey in any way? NO. not in the slightest. many of us on here have had horrible childhoods and are still good parents. to act as if being abused somehow exonerates her is insulting to me. i didn't continue the cycle. no one should continue the cycle. so i feel bad for abused children, but i don't think this makes it okay for them to turn into abusive parents - even if i feel bad for what they went through as kids.

so yes. i do feel bad for her, for the fact that she is such a screwed-up person that she could not appreciate the intensity of love a child can bring you, for the fact that she was able to do this and not even care. what an empty, soulless way to be.

Question: Exactly how was she treated growing up? To me, this is the chicken or the egg argument - did the family dysfunction help spawn the narcissism/sociopathy or did the narcissism/sociopathy breed family dysfunction?

:clap: :clap:

No, I don't feel sorry for her one bit. As far as I'm concerned, she had it made. :no:

Casey Anthony had everything she could ever dream of. She's just a typical brat.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back