Does anyone know the rules about using Tweets?

10ofRods

Verified Anthropologist
Reaction score
It was my understanding that if a person had a blue checkmark, we could (in the past) use their tweets here on WS. Is that still the case, now? Does anyone know?

I see lots of screenshots of Tweets. Does the tweet have to explicitly state that it's from a reporter? Is anyone claiming to be a news outlet who has a blue check considered a reporter?

And, actually, now that I'm paying attention, I'm seeing quite a few screenshots of Twitter feeds that don't even have a blue check.

Should we be reporting those?

And, actually, now that I'm paying attention, I'm seeing quite a few screenshots of Twitter feeds that don't even have a blue check.

Should we be reporting those?

Thank you so much. I'm still a bit confused about what constitutes MSM, but I think I can investigate that on my own (there's a list somewhere, I think).

Thank you so much. I'm still a bit confused about what constitutes MSM, but I think I can investigate that on my own (there's a list somewhere, I think).
Did you find the updated list and if so could you direct me to where it is? Thank you!

The rules don't seem to reference linking to tweets by MSM journalists. I don't have a problem with those links at all and perhaps the rules for links to MSM covers tweets by msm. What is the blue check, does that show that the Tweeter is MSM verified by twitter?

One thing I have noticed is sometimes screen shots of tweets and fb posts are put directly into a WS post. I wonder if those posts should be reported (along with links to tweets that are not msm, or not tweets by a suspect or victim)

ETA: ok the rules say noscreen shots, copy/paste of approved tweets, just the link. Rules have that part partially in red :-O

Last edited:
It was my understanding that if a person had a blue checkmark, we could (in the past) use their tweets here on WS. Is that still the case, now? Does anyone know?

I see lots of screenshots of Tweets. Does the tweet have to explicitly state that it's from a reporter? Is anyone claiming to be a news outlet who has a blue check considered a reporter?

I have used tweets frequently.

They have never been removed!

My understanding is that as long as the tweet is from MSM or a police source, it is okay. Ticks or no ticks, you can easily see who is official and who isn't.

I think copy full tweet with link back.

MSM is a national newspaper, tv or radio station, or an official journo representing one such. Not MSM would be a news blog or outlet run with a gmail contact address, for example.

ETA: ok the rules say noscreen shots, copy/paste of approved tweets, just the link. Rules have that part partially in red :-O
This part about no screen shots is very important because the purpose of "linking" MSM and/or content by WS approved source is to be able to easily VERIFY the data by clicking on the link to read the full content attached to the Tweet/X and/or view the video, etc.

Also, take note that replies to a Tweet/X by random individuals (i.e., not MSM) are not allowed as this is seen as the equivalent of posting from the comment section of an article.

ETA: Tweets by Podcasts and YouTube hosts are NOT MSM and a violation of TOS.
Unless the social media host/author is WS approved, their tweets are also NOT allowed on the main thread. For example, Mike King of "Profiling Evil" YouTube is an approved WS source and therefore tweets by @Profiling Evil are allowed posted on the main thread.

Did you find the updated list and if so could you direct me to where it is? Thank you!

The rules don't seem to reference linking to tweets by MSM journalists. I don't have a problem with those links at all and perhaps the rules for links to MSM covers tweets by msm. What is the blue check, does that show that the Tweeter is MSM verified by twitter?

One thing I have noticed is sometimes screen shots of tweets and fb posts are put directly into a WS post. I wonder if those posts should be reported (along with links to tweets that are not msm, or not tweets by a suspect or victim)

I have never found any list. If anyone does, please post!

I think that the rules for MSM Tweets make it so that we can post any Tweets by someone who is employed by MSM (although that sometimes means clicking on the reporter's bio on Twitter and following it to their news outlet - which is sometimes a very small one, IMO).

So that means that stringers for local newspapers (not employees but freelance) can site their freelance work, and be perceived as MSM. I guess.

Good to know about the no screen shots! I think this is a rule that's rarely enforced - probably because most people don't know it's against the rules. It's hard to imagine beginning to report all of them.

Great find, Jepop! I noticed that Fire Photography Girl (FB based, not associated with any particular news outlet) has been allowed. She's a freelance photojournalist and has a huge following. She is considered a reporter by other reporters, that's for sure. I think freelance journalists are frequently allowed here - but don't know the rules for that. I've seen clips from Agenda Free TV, for example.

I too would like to see a list.

I just had a post removed due to unapproved source. The source is a blog, yes, but it's also long been considered one of the best sources of news in the Emerald Triangle area of California.

Kym Kemp vets her news carefully before posting. How do we make a request to have her approved as a source? (reporting this post so hopefully a mod can tell me how to go about it)

www.kymkemp.com

I too would like to see a list.

I just had a post removed due to unapproved source. The source is a blog, yes, but it's also long been considered one of the best sources of news in the Emerald Triangle area of California.

Kym Kemp vets her news carefully before posting. How do we make a request to have her approved as a source? (reporting this post so hopefully a mod can tell me how to go about it)

www.kymkemp.com

See, this the type of news person I think should be permitted. Good journalism!

The very reason we don't publish a list of approved or non-approved is there is no easy answer, no absolute, no black and white. In fact, there is no complete list. It's a learn as we go at times.

Other than what we can explain briefly in The Rules, a decision to allow or not hinges on good judgment and discretion, and at times just based on our combined experience or specific knowledge of the source. We may approve a small newspaper that would not be considered MSM, but if it is local to the case we may approve it; OR ... we may not approve based on our past knowledge of that particular source and any hiccups that we're aware of or that we've encountered with them in the past. We may have a source that was approved in the past but suddenly becomes non-approved for reasons that may not be known to members. Or we may have a source that was not previously approved that over time we have become more familiar with them and come to trust their credibility and we'll approve them.

Tricia and Websleuths have been around a long time and there are many approved sources just based on her knowledge and long established relationship with them. Admins and Mods have seen thousands of sources through the years and we just can't expect members to have that same degree of experience and knowledge.

As for the Twitter/X blue check, there are many credible Xers without a blue check (i.e. Texas Equusearch, Klaas Kids), and other sources that even with a blue check we might not approve. Just because someone subscribes to a Premium X account does not make them a reliable, credible, or even a nice person. Elon Musk has recently restored the account of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones who has a pretty blue check. Fox News (national) has a nice blue check and used to be approved until it became known that they engaged in the big lie after the 2020 presidential election.

If you don't know if a source is approved, just jump off any random post with the Report feature to ask Moderators if the link is an approved source and wait for a response. Don't ask on thread, we may not see it; don't post before receiving a response as it may necessitate a big cleanup.

No easy answer but I hope that helps clarify to some degree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back