Dominican Republic - Lindsay de Feliz, 64, British expat, murdered, 10 Dec 2019 *Husband/Son arrest

Tortoise

Reaction score
Best-selling Brit author found 'decapitated' in Dominican Republic woods

Lindsay de Feliz's corpse was discovered just after midday local time on Thursday, near her home in Moncion, following a massive search involving friends, police and civil protection workers.

A local detective confirmed “several people”, including de Feliz’s 50-year-old Dominican husband Danilo, are under arrest.

Unconfirmed reports said she had been strangled, while one local newspaper reported that she had been decapitated.

1_JS201214638.jpg

A local paper quoted a local state prosecutor called Sumaya Rodriguez saying Lindsay's husband had been arrested as the principal suspect in her death

Best-selling Brit author found 'decapitated' in Dominican Republic woods

A spokesman for the local police force admitted before her body was found they were “very concerned” about her well being, and revealed her husband was being questioned after being arrested as a “matter of routine” as a massive search for her got underway.

A colleague, speaking after she was found dead, confirmed: “The body we have found is that of the missing British woman.

“It was discovered behind her home. She was the victim of a homicide. Several people including her husband are under arrest but we are still investigating and cannot yet say who we think is responsible.

Brit author strangled to death as 'husband & son held' in Dominican Republic

The body of Lindsay de Feliz, 64, was found Thursday by a canine unit in the woods near her home in Moncion, according to local news outlet, Hoy. Her body, which showed signs of strangulation, had reportedly been buried in a 2-foot-deep hole, wrapped in a yellow sheet and plastic bags used for dog food.

Authorities said Danilo Feliz, her 50-year-old husband, reported the author missing on Tuesday. On Thursday, he was arrested in connection with her death along with his 29-year-old son, Dani Alberto Feliz, and a third man, 37-year-old Anquilino Rosario Sanchez.

“We are in close contact with the police in the Dominican Republic following the death of a British woman in Mao,” a spokesperson for the U.K. Foreign Office told The Independent.

British Author Found Dead and Buried in Woods Near Her Dominican Republic Home

In reading Lindsay's blog (linked in post above) I learned that she survived being shot through the throat by burglars in 2006, and that she was also suffocated and beaten by a burglar (I believe in 2018) which had left her with a traumatic brain injury. She was still able to maintain her blog afterwards but was now living with memory problems mostly related to her speech. She describes overcoming fear after the shooting incident in this youtube video

and is also interviewed in these youtube videos -

I have to say after reading some of Lindsay's blog entries I will be extremely surprised if her husband is responsible for her murder. He even placed a ladder in their water tank to rescue a frog (apparently they climb ladders) and rather than killing a deadly snake that had made it's home in their wall, which was likely to eat their chickens, he rescued it alive and made a new home for it.

When Lindsay was in the UK visiting her family last Christmas (her husband was unable to obtain a visa to go with her) he discovered a worry doll that Lindsay had placed under her pillow and he burnt it and had the house cleansed because he thought it was a voodoo doll placed there by someone who wished her harm.

This is using the translation tool;

Dominican Republic ”
National Police
Central Research
Directorate , PN Regional Subdirectorate for Northwest Research, PN
“ Year of Innovation and Competitiveness ”
Valverde, Mao, RD
December 12, 2019.-

INFORMATIVE NOTE.

FROM MAO
It was found by the canine civil defense unit, the body of the British LINDSAY PETA DE HAPPY, after having been reported missing by her husband, who is presumed that in complicity with two more people, they are responsible for the disappearance and death of the lady.
Province Santiago Rodríguez, RD, examined said body by the legal doctor of the Judicial District of Valverde, Dr. YOSENIA GREGORIO, certified that he died as a result of Dx. RESPIRATORY INSUFFICIENCY BY COMPRESSION OF THE NECK VEINS, the head was wrapped in another black sheath with adhesive tape pressing the neck; it is presumed that this fact was committed by her husband DANILO FELIZ TORRES, Dominican, 50 years old, resident at the same address, in complicity with her son (from Danilo), the named DANI ALBERTO FELIZ MARTINEZ, Dominican, 29 years old of age, of legal age, resident in the Barrio Nuevo of the Municipality of Esperanza, Valverde Province, RD, and AQUILINO ROSARIO SANCHEZ (A) ZAYA, Dominican, 37 years old, resident in the Barrio La Fe of the Municipality of Esperanza Province Valverde, RD; for these purposes they simulated the disappearance of the lady, leaving her DANILO and ZAYA, at a bus stop in the Municipality of Navarrete, at about 1:30 p.m. on 10-12-2019, so that she alone would go in a vehicle of public transport to the Municipality of Moncion, and they claimed that they would continue to the city of Juan Dolio in San Pedro de Macorís, which they used as an alibi to detach themselves from the disappearance and death of the lady; since at about 1:00 a.m. on 12-12-2019, it was determined that they used one of the bank cards of the present day, and took out a cashier the sum of RD $ 20,000.00, a fact that DANILO admitted, alleging that He used that card and that he took that money at that time, to do diligence in the search for his wife.- It is good to emphasize that the dog food covers, with which it was wrapped, coincide with other covers of the same brands that were found in the house, where four dogs cohabit and it is also presumed that the savanna is from the same house, on the instructions of the Attorney General of Valverde, Licda. MARIBEL ESPINAL, the body was sent to the INACIF of the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, R. d., For the appropriate purposes, for autopsy purposes, as for the named DANILO FELIZ TORRES, DANI ALBERTO FELIZ MARTINEZ, and AQUILINO ROSARIO SANCHEZ (A) ZAYA, are being held in this Subdirectorate of the DICIRM., For the corresponding purposes. - Case continues to be investigated. on the instructions of the Attorney General of Valverde, Licda. MARIBEL ESPINAL, the body was sent to the INACIF of the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, R. d., For the appropriate purposes, for autopsy purposes, as for the named DANILO FELIZ TORRES, DANI ALBERTO FELIZ MARTINEZ, and AQUILINO ROSARIO SANCHEZ (A) ZAYA, are being held in this Subdirectorate of the DICIRM., For the corresponding purposes. - Case continues to be investigated. on the instructions of the Attorney General of Valverde, Licda. MARIBEL ESPINAL, the body was sent to the INACIF of the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, R. d., For the appropriate purposes, for autopsy purposes, as for the named DANILO FELIZ TORRES, DANI ALBERTO FELIZ MARTINEZ, and AQUILINO ROSARIO SANCHEZ (A) ZAYA, are being held in this Subdirectorate of the DICIRM., For the corresponding purposes. - Case continues to be investigated.

Photographs of the occisa. Photographs of the alleged authors.

British LINDSAY HAPPY PETA. DANILO DANI AQUILINE.

REGIONAL SUB-DIRECTION OF RESEARCH NORTHWEST, PN

80069727_946624845723866_1456262623677906944_n.jpg
80056813_946624875723863_1625820141453312000_n.jpg
78429763_946628485723502_6069674647727636480_n.jpg

Sin Pelos En la Lengua

Extracts from a translated article -

In the inquiries undertaken by the public prosecutor and the police, it was the second time that her sentimental partner had tried to kill her, because at the beginning of this year, her executioner had hit her several times, but when the authorities began to investigate, she He denied the accusation.

They also interrogate the collector of a concho bus to corroborate the version given by the husband of the English lady and that of a man, who was found in his possession the cell phone of the lady and allegedly left in the park of Navarrete

Dicen esposo ya había intentado matar a británica - Periódico El Caribe - Mereces verdaderas respuestas

How long were they married?
In a blog post from October 24, 2014, she says she was with Danilo, who met her parents, back in 2005.

The same blog post talks about how he was raised in dire poverty. It seems to me that it was due to his relationship with her that he become a lawyer (at the very late age of 50), and also made a couple of runs to be elected local mayor. It's also clear the children were not hers, they were her stepsons.

Her webpage has a section on how to recognize Dominican men who are just going with an expat woman because they want her money, "Sanky Pankies". She was no fool.

However, it seems to me quite possible that a 50 year old man, who has just become the "big shot" he always dreamed of being, might not be so interested in a 64 year old wife that he's always been dependent on. It seems to me quite possible he'd find a sexy 30 something that he'd also always dreamed of, but couldn't have gotten in the past. And he might think about getting rid of the wife by arranging for robbers, voodoo dolls, and other schemes, so he could have her money and a new wife. I know people like to believe in true love and all, but you only have to spend time talking to people getting divorced to realize how thoroughly nice and loving can turn to nasty and ruthless.

In a blog post from October 24, 2014, she says she was with Danilo, who met her parents, back in 2005.

The same blog post talks about how he was raised in dire poverty. It seems to me that it was due to his relationship with her that he become a lawyer (at the very late age of 50), and also made a couple of runs to be elected local mayor. It's also clear the children were not hers, they were her stepsons.

Her webpage has a section on how to recognize Dominican men who are just going with an expat woman because they want her money, "Sanky Pankies". She was no fool.

However, it seems to me quite possible that a 50 year old man, who has just become the "big shot" he always dreamed of being, might not be so interested in a 64 year old wife that he's always been dependent on. It seems to me quite possible he'd find a sexy 30 something that he'd also always dreamed of, but couldn't have gotten in the past. And he might think about getting rid of the wife by arranging for robbers, voodoo dolls, and other schemes, so he could have her money and a new wife. I know people like to believe in true love and all, but you only have to spend time talking to people getting divorced to realize how thoroughly nice and loving can turn to nasty and ruthless.

so totally agree

A new article from a DR paper, I've corrected some of the mangling by google translate.

They say husband had already tried to kill British [woman].
In the inquiries undertaken by the public prosecutor and the police, it was the second time that her sentimental partner had tried to kill her, because at the beginning of this year, her executioner had hit her several times, but when the authorities began to investigate, [she] denied the accusation.
Dicen esposo ya había intentado matar a británica - Periódico El Caribe - Mereces verdaderas respuestas

It is not known if this is actually true, or just bad journalism. She wrote a full account of the attack (which she said was by a Venezualan), on her blog. She said a 'Venezualan', because the attack didn't resemble in any way how a home invader/robber in the DR would ever behave.
What about your saucepans?: Violence in the Dominican Republic - The Incident

It raises all sorts of spine chilling questions though.

Note, talking about bad journalism, there's no evidence she was decapitated. She was strangled, a separate bag was placed over her head (from the same brand of dogfood that she fed her animals).

RIP brave, kind Lindsay.

Last edited:
A new article from a DR paper, I've corrected some of the mangling by google translate.

They say husband had already tried to kill British [woman].
In the inquiries undertaken by the public prosecutor and the police, it was the second time that her sentimental partner had tried to kill her, because at the beginning of this year, her executioner had hit her several times, but when the authorities began to investigate, [she] denied the accusation.

It is not known if this is actually true, or just bad journalism. She wrote a full account of the attack (which she said was by a Venezualan), on her blog. She said a 'Venezualan', because the attack didn't resemble in any way how a home invader/robber in the DR would ever behave.

It raises all sorts of spine chilling questions though.

Note, talking about bad journalism, there's no evidence she was decapitated. She was strangled, a separate bag was placed over her head (from the same brand of dogfood that she fed her animals).

RIP brave, kind Lindsay.
It's the same article I quoted a few posts above your post (post #12).

I'm wondering now - how the newspaper would have got hold of information that it was a report filed against her husband and that she later recanted it. That seems like too much detail to get wrong, and I'm now reading that blog post, and her comments beneath it, with different eyes. The blog post seems to be too light hearted imo. Lindsay's replies to some of the comments (the comments are worth looking up to put them into context with the replies) seem a little bit defensive and knowledgable. Knowledgable in the way in which she has answers to everything. Plus it is missing the explanation of how the perp who got away was caught.

This is her blog entry - quoting in case the blog gets taken down, and some parts bolded by me -
Friday, February 22, 2019
Violence in the Dominican Republic - The Incident

I promised to tell you about what I call The Incident, which may also explain why I haven’t blogged much recently.

It was Tuesday, February 5 and Danilo and a Canadian lady staying with us were in his rustic gym in the back garden. She wanted to get fit and so after they had done their exercises in the gym, they would go for a 15- or 20-minute run. I heard them in the gym, but I was busy collecting articles to do the news for DR1 – the expat Dominican Republic forum.

It was exactly 9.30 am when I was interrupted by a lady messaging who wanted information about the Police Good Conduct report in the DR, and I was about to reply to her when a man slid open the patio door to the garden and walked towards me. I had never seen him before but in his right hand he had a gun, pointing at me. He stopped about 6 feet in front of my desk.

I didn’t have time to ask him anything before he started screaming “Don’t look at me” which he did several times. I asked him calmly what he wanted, and told him to calm down. I would have used the English saying “Don’t get your knickers in a twist,” but am not sure how that translates to Spanish.

He said he wanted money, and I replied that I had some but not a lot, and asked him not to hurt the dogs. I had one each side of me, just looking at him. I told the dogs to stay and shut up and stood up – he made me put my hands in the air – and went to the dining table next to my desk where my handbag was.

I reached in for my purse, which made him start waving the gun about, and was about to get the money out of my purse when he stopped me, so I put it down on the table. He then screamed at me to lie on the floor. I kept telling him I did not understand as I wanted to know if he spoke English and also, I had no idea why he would want me to lie down.

He pointed to the corner of the room behind the dining table and I sat down. He told me to turn around and lie face down, and put the gun to the back of my head. I asked him not to kill me. But there was no reply and he did not speak again. I took my glasses off and lay them next to me on the floor before lying down.

He then twisted both arms behind my back and sat on my back – there was no way I could move my arms or my body. I assumed he was going to tie me up. I should be so lucky. Then he put some sort of cloth or towel in my mouth and covered my nose with it as well and held it tightly in place with his hand which by now had a surgical glove on it. I could not breathe in nor out. A most peculiar and uncomfortable feeling. I tried to fight to move my head and my arms as I was desperate to breathe but each time I did, he smashed my face into the tiled floor. I tried playing dead (as I have seen that work on the television) and again he grabbed me by the hair on the back of my head and hit my face against the floor.

I had hoped there would be chloroform on the pad – but there was nothing, and I just wanted it over with. And then after around a minute, it was. Blissful nothing.

Meanwhile, Danilo and the guest returned from their run and he heard someone running through the woods. Danilo quickly approached the house on high alert and immediately saw I was not at my desk. He scanned the room and saw me lying on the floor in the corner, face down. He turned me over and my eyes were open but unseeing. He and the guest quickly put me in the car, unconscious and set off at speed for the hospital. Soon I began thrashing around, then talking nonsense and then the guest noticed a large baseball sized lump appearing on my temple. It grew and then opened showering her and me in blood and continued to bleed profusely. I was then able to say I had been attacked – until then they thought I had just fallen over – and I thought I might have been shot in the head.

At the hospital following x-rays and a cat scan it was confirmed I had not been shot nor did I even have a fractured skull. The lump on my head was drained, cleaned and stitched. My mouth was cut everywhere inside – no idea how and I was covered in bruises. I was admitted for twenty-four hours and the next day was home. The bruises have mostly gone now, but I have been left with neurological damage on my left side so I need more hospital visits and tests to see what is causing it and if it can be cured in any way. I am hoping just time will heal it.

You will be wondering how I felt during all this. Well I felt no pain at any time, but being suffocated is not pleasant at all. I have no idea how long it would take to kill someone but I don’t think I could have managed much longer. It appears he heard them coming back from the run before the deed was done, so smacked me hard on my temple with the gun, hoping that would do the trick. Takes more than that to get rid of me! I was pretty sure I was going to die and the only thoughts I had were that I hoped Danilo and guest would not return or he might kill them and I did not want him to hurt the dogs – which he didn’t. My overriding emotion, once I had worked out fighting him was not working, was total acceptance of what was to come – I just wanted the discomfort of being suffocated to be over quickly. So, I was much calmer than I would have thought I would be in that situation.

And the perp? It took me a few days to work it out. He looked Dominican but he didn’t. He dressed like a Dominican but he didn’t. He spoke like a Dominican but he didn’t. And I have never heard of Dominicans suffocating people. This guy had done it before – I felt like he was a professional. It turns out he was Venezuelan – there are tens of thousands in the Dominican Republic now, having fled from their country, and yes, he had killed by suffocation a few times before in Venezuela. It was a total random attack as he was scouting out houses which back onto the woods to rob. He thought the house was empty as he saw Danilo and the guest leaving on their run, hence he was surprised to see me, and as he did not want to be identified he had to dispose of me.

Several different police forces came from all of the surrounding areas. They were very pleasant but they took no forensic evidence at all, not my clothes, nor fingerprints, nor did they search the area. The local prosecutor was very professional as was the medical examiner who had to assess my injuries.

So, all’s well that ends well – and the current level of nerve damage is liveable with, assuming it gets no better or worse. I am very very thankful as the ending could have been very different. And it's another chapter for book 3!!
attack1.jpg

Comments:
LindsayFebruary 23, 2019 at 9:17 AM

It wasn't targeted and many campo homes here have only 2 people. If there are more, the family live in different homes nearby or on the same plot. I had seen his face hence had to be disposed of. Venezuelans are all over the country and there are so many now they are in every town city and village. The gun was a home made gun, they only hold one bullet - I wondered why he didnt shoot me - I think the gun was probably empty. And no one targets us as we have large dogs which Dominicans are terrified of.

LindsayFebruary 23, 2019 at 9:17 AM
Not if he didnt want to leave fingerprints.

[Question] Oh my goodness! I’m glad you’re okay! Did they put that guy in jail?

LindsayFebruary 22, 2019 at 8:16 PM
Thanks. I don't know but I only know he was arrested.

[reply] Ah....If the arrested him and set a date at the fiscalia and you didn't go, he would be released. Just the way is works around here.

Last edited:
Sorry, wanted to add I agree that this is the most likely explanation. I think the reporter took another bag to mean a detached bag.

Lindsay wrote a guest post on another blog, about cultural differences and reverse culture shock after her three week trip to England last Christmas. Meet Lindsay de Feliz

She wrote -

"there appears to be a disregard for the sanctity of life with no one wearing helmets or protective clothing on motorbikes, no seatbelts when driving and even driving with one hand on the wheel and a bottle of beer in the other hand. Rather than feeling appalled, I felt an incredible sense of freedom, as if the years of the shackles of rules and regulations had been broken.

"..at first, I was reluctant to share my things and my money. I had worked for it. I had bought it so why should I just give it away? Slowly, as time went on, I became less selfish and ‘things’ that had been important to me were just ‘things’ with no need to hold onto them jealously.

"The disappearance of my possessions was replaced with the refreshing feeling of freedom.

"Family members taking things from your home is normal and accepted behaviour. They believe you can afford to lose things as you are richer than they are, and this practice continues with most dentists, doctors, lawyers and the like charging significantly more to non-Dominicans –- just thinking of the cash today, not the possibility of a long-term relationship which could provide more money over time.

"Having been in the country for 18 years now, married to a Dominican for 14, I can say I am completely aplantanado as they say — like a plantain banana — as I now act and think like a Dominican in many ways.

But the biggest culture shock was to realise that although England had changed, I had changed even more.

To me the organisation which I used to embrace felt stifling and the need for order made me smile again and again. Everything had its place in all parts of the home, and woe betide you if you put sometime in the wrong place. There was a way of doing everything and no room for bucking the trend. I realised I had become completely laissez faire and making sure the spices were in order on the spice rack just was not important in the scheme of things.

The English organisation spread throughout all elements of life. Cars had to be parked in a certain place and a certain way – in the DR you can park wherever you want.

Encounters with policemen were serious issues, often ending with a fine, whereas in the DR it was a quick chat, a laugh and a joke and, once you handed over the obligatory bribe, you could go on your way.

You had to pay for what you bought in the shops, when you bought it. No more could my purchase be written down on a scrap of torn off cardboard to be paid for later.

I had not realised that embracing the culture of a different country can change you forever and make it impossible for you to return to being the person you once were.
As I tell so many new arrivals to the country now when they complain about the behaviour of Dominicans, “It is not wrong, it is different”.

"I often find myself wondering, why is it that we need so much order in our lives when Dominicans don’t at all?

I am now wondering about all this and her support for her husband's new profession in the law and prosecutions. Was she really now so laissez-faire? Or was she afraid to admit that she was the victim of abuse, and did still harbour a desire for law and order. She didn't even seem to be interested in the prosecution of the man who had bashed her head in and tried to suffocate her, leaving her with neurological damage. Maybe it's not so black and white, I don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back