Don't think I can continue here if no Gen Discussion Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our time could be spent more constructively trying to find searchers to help with the search. Tricia already stated her opinion on the General Discussion threads, so I'd think there wouldn't be anything more to discuss.

There's also a chat room where you can chat about general discussion topics.

I have been doing this also since the closing of the general thread. It is a good way to keep up but if a lot of people are doing this, the bandwith must be going through the roof.

I'll go ahead and start keeping four or five topics minimized, and refreshed. If this is a bandwidth problem, I'll assume we'll get a notice. Certainly don't want to cause a problem with the bandwidth.

I think our time could be spent more constructively trying to find searchers to help with the search. Tricia already started her opinion on the General Discussion threads, so I'd think there wouldn't be anything more to discuss.

EXACTLY! there is even an announcement sticky. this is TRICIA's place, we abide by HER rules and HER wishes.

She has already stated how she feels, so who are we to challenge it??

snipped:
Originally Posted by poco
Hey, I was being nice!!! I'm not trying to be mean, but no one is forcing anyone to sign on to here........ If anyone wants out, that seems to be a fairly simple solution to me.

Poco, IMO......You are the cats meow here! I enjoy your posts. That said, that good advice, just that simple. :blowkiss:

Nuh-uh! I'm Catsmeow.... :eek::confused::eek: I'm going off to have an identity crisis now...:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Joking...of course.

I think our time could be spent more constructively trying to find searchers to help with the search. Tricia already stated her opinion on the General Discussion threads, so I'd think there wouldn't be anything more to discuss.

you are free to spend your time any way you like, as am i :) the conversation on this thread isnt keeping anyone from helping with the search for caylee...

tricia can state her opinion, i can state mine, others can state theirs.

its called "discussion". and im sure tricia will have no problem letting us know when she wont allow any more discussion on the topic.

Personally, I think what is going to happen is that every thread has the potential to drift into multi-topic issues the same way that the general discussion threads do, simply because there are overlapping topics and we're talking about trying to fit many disparate pieces of a puzzle together.

I also think it's going to add to the housekeeping duties the mods will be dealing with.

But hey, it's not my bandwidth!

"
if the main reason for the objection to general threads is to "steer" the way that members communicate then i think it is a terrible idea. if it is primarily because it places unneeded strain on the server then its unfortunate but understandable.

Two reasons for the general discussion threads going away.

1- the vast majority of people found them confusing

2-the mods and myself spent way too much time trying to clean up the general threads.

It was such a strain on our moderators and many posters complained to me about the discussion threads so I shut them down.

We are not trying to "steer" discussion. We are trying to make the forum easier for people to read.

Even if I did not get complaints about the general threads I would still shut them down due to the amount of unnecessary time our mods had to spend on them literally day and night cleaning them up.

Please, can we move on? Thank you.

There's also a chat room where you can chat about general discussion topics.

Not to be mean or anything, but that is what the General Discussion treads had become...chat!
Stuff Off Topic goes in the Jury Room.
If people would read before they post, there wouldn't be so many repeating topics. :blowkiss:

I'm glad general discussion threads are closed. Thank you Tricia and mods!

*Snipped*

Organized threads makes navigation soooo much easier.

ITA Olive !! :seeya:​

I am a member of other message boards and none of them have "general discussion" threads. It's not how message boards function, typically. Every topic has a new thread. If you look back a few pages and if people are titling their threads properly, you should have no problem finding where your discussion belongs. If you can't find a topic you start one yourself. Easy.

I think everyone is being a bit whiny... IMO. :/ It's not an easy job being a MOD at all.

I feel the same. I just saw bond info posted on the new news thread...but I have questions about what it means. Do I need to start a thread to get my question answered? And what about all the little news updates, as they happened, on fox, hn, cnn? That is mainly why I came here.

EXACTLY! there is even an announcement sticky. this is TRICIA's place, we abide by HER rules and HER wishes.

:clap::clap::clap:

If for some reason you want your account to be non-functional please PM me or any of the moderators and we will ban you.

Please keep in mind that every time we have to stop to ban someone it takes away valuable time from the work we need to do.

Thank you,
Tricia

Snipped

Can you actually imagine asking to be banned? So many of us are naturals in that area and would never need to ask to be banned.

Tricia, your board, your rules. Anyone who isn't happy should just clean up their toys and go home.

(For the record, I am pro-general discussion thread)

Personally, I'm not challenging anything, I have questions about where and how to post. And will people still be posting the news updates from TV, as they happen? And will they be on the new news thread? I think some people are simply confused. Maybe, help us figure it out, instead of telling us we can go away, if we choose. I think we already know that.

Yes please rethink this decision to close down the general thread.
If it is for reasons of space, we consume much more space creating individuals threads for topics we might just place just a post on the general thread.

And then it is the whole issue of we have become accustomed of that way for weeks now and it is kinda uncomfortable switching to a new system now.

Yes please rethink this decision to close down the general thread.
If it is for reasons of space, we consume much more space creating individuals threads for topics we might just place just a post on the general thread.

And then it is the whole issue of we have become accustomed of that way for weeks now and it is kinda uncomfortable switching to a new system now.

I'm mostly a lurker. But I've really enjoyed reading Game Theory on the general discussion thread. I read the general discussion thread just to see the more seasoned posters discuss various issues.

I feel the same. I just saw bond info posted on the new news thread...but I have questions about what it means. Do I need to start a thread to get my question answered? And what about all the little news updates, as they happened, on fox, hn, cnn? That is mainly why I came here.

What happened during the Scott Peterson case is that there was a thread for daily updates. One poster, usually, was watching the case and would report back what they saw.

Really, not having the general discussion isn't going to hurt, once the sting goes away. Just pull the Band-Aid a little faster. ;)

Personally, I'm not challenging anything, I have questions about where and how to post. And will people still be posting the news updates from TV, as they happen? And will they be on the new news thread? I think some people are simply confused. Maybe, help us figure it out, instead of telling us we can go away, if we choose. I think we already know that.

Look on the media thread.

I also miss the general discussion threads. I don't post much but I read A LOT!!!

Same here! I love being able to read one main thread, and keep up with everything.

Popping back & forth between threads is more troublesome, and I feel like it takes twice as long to get the same information as the general thread used to give me.

I personally enjoyed the general discussions because of so many different opinions and we could bounce off lots of information and ideas. We actually were able to come up with more facts that way, IMO. But it turned into much more than discussion and fact finding. I found myself skimming over many posts about personal stories and general chatting that weren't useful to me and altered my time in finding facts. I did appreciate the way newly revealed news and such were created on their own thread the instant it was released to the public. But I can certainly see the extra work that was put on the mods for having to babysit the general threads to keep the threads clean and informative.

This new way might be different than we're accustomed to but it shouldn't be anything we can't adjust to. I'm going to at least try. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member