Dorli Rainey 84 yr old pepper sprayed at Occupy Seattle

Who's the spokesperson? I noticed you like to avoid some questions. There's already a couple of threads in 'Politics' about OW.

Show me the partnership agreement, nanny. I will glady help to draw attention to it. I am having problems with the fringe elements who have attached themselves and exploited the movement-I think it is likely many of the 99 percent do as well. I am also unsure about the need to cover faces with bandannas and intentionally draw the ire of LE in order to manipulate the media, which is sort of how I see it.

I am also unclear on the message of Occupy, but I suppose that is o/t for this thread concerning the pepper spray being used on protestors and the circumstances that led to the pepper spray.

our agenda is not vague, imo, there is a clearly written agenda.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

I feel sorry for the old woman, but IMO the protesters are hoping to escalate the violence. An elderly woman getting pepper-sprayed is all the better for their "cause".

Why post a link to the Constitution when the real OWS agenda has no resemblance to the Constitution at all?

Here is a link to the OWS agenda on their own site:

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-ows-demands/

A ban on all private ownership of land? Outlaw homeschooling? Wow....

I feel sorry for the old woman, but IMO the protesters are hoping to escalate the violence. An elderly woman getting pepper-sprayed is all the better for their "cause".

Why post a link to the Constitution when the real OWS agenda has no resemblance to the Constitution at all?

That's a post by a single person on a forum. Before the post it reads: "This content is user submitted and not an official statement".

I support OWS, and I take offense at attempts to deliberately misrepresent them. In every open movement there are bound to be some loony tunes, I'm sure any Tea Party supporters know what I'm talking about. I'm not in the streets, but I respect the people who are. I tend to think that if you're upper-middle class or below and you find yourself fighting to maintain the status quo - you should closely and personally examine your reasoning.

Posted 3 weeks ago on Oct. 23, 2011, 11:21 p.m. EST by bchang1987
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Show me the partnership agreement, nanny. I will glady help to draw attention to it. I am having problems with the fringe elements who have attached themselves and exploited the movement-I think it is likely many of the 99 percent do as well. I am also unsure about the need to cover faces with bandannas and intentionally draw the ire of LE in order to manipulate the media, which is sort of how I see it.

I am also unclear on the message of Occupy, but I suppose that is o/t for this thread concerning the pepper spray being used on protestors and the circumstances that led to the pepper spray.

believe me, believe, i would love to have a written agreement which all sides stick to. i think in a lot of the cities they do have at least verbal agreements and i wish all the media was talking more about the times it goes right.
imo the message is fluid and the movement is fluid. i am going to Washington DC next week to meet up with Occupy the Highway and Occupy DC and i will post what i see and hear. together we can fix the problems. America is still strong, but it is going to take 100% of us to first agree that everybody needs to be heard without threat of violence. jmo

yes, Believe, of course the intent is to cause confrontation, peaceful confrontation. that is what civil disobedience does. it forces the powerful to take notice of those of us who feel powerless, hopeless and helpless. of course the police shouldn't ignore the protestors, they aren't supposed to, they are supposed to arrest the ones who are getting arrested that day, and they can do that without using force against peaceful citizens who are exercising their rights. jmo

Do these young people have guidance or are they just caught up in the energy? Do they realize they'll have an arrest record? Are they really thinking this through?

That's a post by a single person on a forum. Before the post it reads: "This content is user submitted and not an official statement".

I support OWS, and I take offense at attempts to deliberately misrepresent them. In every open movement there are bound to be some loony tunes, I'm sure any Tea Party supporters know what I'm talking about. I'm not in the streets, but I respect the people who are. I tend to think that if you're upper-middle class or below and you find yourself fighting to maintain the status quo - you should closely and personally examine your reasoning.

absolutely, ChasingMoxie, there are radical elements to every movement. Tea Party supporters are not crazy or wrong as a whole and their opinions and ideas are vital to building renewed trust in each other and in our leaders. there are 100% of us.

Posted 3 weeks ago on Oct. 23, 2011, 11:21 p.m. EST by bchang1987
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I see, OWS is not responsible for the points that are clearly outlined on their very own website, and we should all remember that some or all of the points may or may not be unofficial and may or may not be untrue. Got it.

For such a gorgeous, highly organized, well-run web site, it's unfortunate no one has bothered to edit the allegedly erroneous points of the OWS agenda, even after three weeks.

IMO

Do these young people have guidance or are they just caught up in the energy? Do they realize they'll have an arrest record? Are they really thinking this through?

we are actually more organized than most people realize. speaking only for myself as far as thinking it though, yes i have thought it through completely.

I see, OWS is not responsible for the points that are clearly outlined on their very own website, and we should all remember that some or all of the points may or may not be unofficial and may or may not be untrue. Got it.

For such a gorgeous, highly organized, well-run web site, it's unfortunate no one has bothered to edit the allegedly erroneous points of the OWS agenda, even after three weeks.

IMO

the only person responsible for that opinion is the person who posted it and took credit for it. it is clearly stated as somebody's idea or opinion and we all have a right to be heard. since it is not pretending to be the Occupy "agenda" but only someone's opinion, then it needs no editing. we cannot ever presume the right to edit others opinions or to tell someone else what they have a right to think or feel. jmo

IMO

I agree. They have been edited and stickied. When those demands were first posted (with the same "disclaimer") the minimum wage they were demanding was $20 and many of the other demands were different. So, the group obviously unstickied them, changed them, then stickied them back up. Do they think people are fools?

I see that they arrested former Police Captain Ray Lewis last night, have no idea what crime he committed. :waitasec:
http://www.observer.com/2011/11/former-philadelphia-police-captain-ray-lewis-joins-with-occupy-wall-street-protesters-video/

Quote:
Mayor Bloomberg has stated the raid was necessary because the protest encampment carried with it a risk of crime, fire and health hazards. Mr. Lewis called that rationale “a farce.”
---------

It looks to me as though there has been a world wide coordinated effort to shut down all the protests within the past week and a half. Apparently all pose a fire and safety hazard.

nanny2five----you seem to understand this protest. I am trying to grasp what they hope to accomplish. Can you tell me what they want? What do they want to happen before they stop the protest? I do not mean the general "make things equal for all people" Do they want the large banks to close their doors, which will put a lot of people out of work? Do they want the large banks to just hand the protestors the money? Do they want the stock market to close their doors so that we all lose what little money we have left? Do they want the Donald Trumps of the world to take their money,real estate, and personal property and distribute it to the poor of the US?

I am not making light of this, just really trying to understand how camping in a park will change things. They should be out marching on Washington, electing the right candidate, and making a difference in their own community

An excellent question that will probably be answered with a posting of the Constitution.

nanny2five----you seem to understand this protest. I am trying to grasp what they hope to accomplish. Can you tell me what they want? What do they want to happen before they stop the protest? I do not mean the general "make things equal for all people" Do they want the large banks to close their doors, which will put a lot of people out of work? Do they want the large banks to just hand the protestors the money? Do they want the stock market to close their doors so that we all lose what little money we have left? Do they want the Donald Trumps of the world to take their money,real estate, and personal property and distribute it to the poor of the US?

I am not making light of this, just really trying to understand how camping in a park will change things. They should be out marching on Washington, electing the right candidate, and making a difference in their own community

as believe reminded us, this thread isn't about the pros and cons of Occupy.
eta: LadyLuck, and anybody else who is interested, i will answer the question the best i can, downstairs in a little place we call "the parking lot". its sort of a long question so it will take me a few, but i will do the best i can :)

Bumping the OP. The thread is about Ms Rainey, not simply about the pros and cons of the Occupy movement. :)

thank you, believe. i almost didn't post this because i was afraid it would be too hot, but then i saw you come right away and i knew you would keep it on track. i don't want to argue pros and cons. i do want Ms Rainey, and myself, and you or anybody else to be allowed to participate in protests and even civil disobedience without threat. people won't participate who want to if there is the threat of violence. if i get arrested it will be because i stand where they tell me not to stand. a crime akin to jay walking, and there will be no need for force. and the same is true for most of the Occupiers. jmo :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back