Drew Peterson to Surrender on Gun Charge

WOOHOOO!!! FINALLY! Not an arrest for the things we feel he should be arrested for...but I think it means they are moving forward on him and I am absolutely delighted!!

Yes, a cuffs photo would be the photo to have or one behind bars!! I would frame it. :)

We can look forward to seeing his mug shot tho!! Woohooooo!!!

He'll probably be winking at the gals in his mug shot. Puke!

"The charge alleges that the defendant "knowingly possessed a rifle, namely a Colt model Sporter Lightweight, 223 Remington rifle, Serial #SL025365 with attached EOTech electronic sight, with a barrel less than 16 inches in length" in violation of state law, according to a release from the Will County State's Attorney's Office."

"Brodsky said the weapon in question is an AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle that Peterson used while he was a police sergeant."

Here is my take on this after listening to Susan Filan on MSNBC and contrary to what Brodsky and Peterson say: "Peterson claimed he legally owned the weapon as an officer, and the law only pertains to civilians."

I think that the law does not just pertain to civilians. Therefore, the fact that the rifle was taken in a search warrant on November 1st, before Peterson retired, still does not make his ownership of it, legal.

Anyhow, that's my take.

Is he going to say that the end was sawed off because of Stacey's fasination with guns, that she did it, or he did it for her? This was Stacey's gun, like he's said of some of the others? We know it's not his fault it was sawed off, nothing is his fault. The neighbor made him do it, the birds in the trees made him do it, Gawd knows who else might be to blame?

Someone that had it in for him, put it in the house. God he's a piece of work.

I think something is up.

The ISP issued an arrest warrant on a felony weapons charge. DP went to the police station, paid the bail bond of $7500 (check written by his son, Stephen), and was released.

Tomorrow there's a hearing on the disposition of DP's guns. The hearing was supposed to be Thursday morning, but the judge has pushed the hearing back to Thursday afternoon. It was expected that the guns would go to DP's son, Stephen, but in light of today's arrest on a weapons violation, I doubt those weapons will be released to anyone.

Tomorrow is also the hearing in the Savio estate, and DP and his two oldest sons, children of KS, are to attend, along with Savio relatives.

There's a rumor that the two Peterson boys, Kristopher and Tom, will be appearing before the grand jury next Thursday, May 29th. It's also rumored that next Thursday will be the last day of hearings in this case.

I could be way off base on this, but it seems to appear that the PTB are getting all their ducks in a row. If the grand jury were to hand down an indictment in the coming weeks, and an arrest is to be made, the ISP doesn't want DP to be armed or have access to weapons, when they arrest him.

Leila, thanks for putting that all together. That makes a lot of sense. I hope he's still prepared for jail like he once said he was. lol

I agree Leila I also think that the ISP has not made a statement about this and that says a lot. Therefore Drew and JAB once again have the floor..and I just don't believe anything they say as to how that particular gun was in Drew's possession. He may have gotten the gun while on the force, or it may have been an additional gun he shouldn't have at home in his possession. But the timing on this is beautiful. No matter how you look at it they are jerking his chain and making sure no one else supplies him with weapons.

I guess he called one of his gal pals to watch the little ones while he was going to jail with JAB today. My heart really aches for those poor children. I can not even fathom what they are going through. The two younger ones probably believe he and JAB had to go somewhere for awhile this afternoon...but can you imagine what the teens think..and what they will endure in school tomorrow from fellow students?

You know that $250K has to be running out soon. He has three lawyers on retainer, a publicist, a PI and one can only imagine who else he has employed. He should have saved some of the cash for his trial..or will JAB and company work pro bono then because they are going to be famous and get a book deal?

OOps almost forgot the psychologist that has been doing a personality make over on him and helping him deal with the children's issues.

I think something is up.

The ISP issued an arrest warrant on a felony weapons charge. DP went to the police station, paid the bail bond of $7500 (check written by his son, Stephen), and was released.

Tomorrow there's a hearing on the disposition of DP's guns. The hearing was supposed to be Thursday morning, but the judge has pushed the hearing back to Thursday afternoon. It was expected that the guns would go to DP's son, Stephen, but in light of today's arrest on a weapons violation, I doubt those weapons will be released to anyone.
Tomorrow is also the hearing in the Savio estate, and DP and his two oldest sons, children of KS, are to attend, along with Savio relatives.

There's a rumor that the two Peterson boys, Kristopher and Tom, will be appearing before the grand jury next Thursday, May 29th. It's also rumored that next Thursday will be the last day of hearings in this case.

I could be way off base on this, but it seems to appear that the PTB are getting all their ducks in a row. If the grand jury were to hand down an indictment in the coming weeks, and an arrest is to be made, the ISP doesn't want DP to be armed or have access to weapons, when they arrest him.
I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head twice.

I hope you are right and the boys are going to testify finally. I am ready for the GJ to end not only on this case, but for Lisa Stebic's case, too. It is time!

I've wondered all this time why DP hasn't been arrested for either the death of KS or the disappearance of Stacy. I did a bit of research and this is what I found:

The Constitution and laws of Illinois provide that no person shall be brought to trial for a crime punishable by death or by imprisonment in the penitentiary unless either the initial charge has been brought by indictment of a grand jury or the person has been given a prompt preliminary hearing and a judge has found probable cause.

In this case, law enforcement is waiting, just as we're waiting, for the grand jury to issue an indictment. Once an indictment is handed down by the grand jury, LE can get the authority to arrest DP.

I have the feeling that everything is coming together now. I think the grand jury will be wrapping up their investigation and handing down an indictment in the next two or three weeks.

Leila you are right on the mark again! I think they are very close. We still have the boys and the new girlfriend to appear at the GJ ..then after that I can't even think of another person they would need to call. We know they have this Thursday, which is tomorrow, and next Thursday for the GJ hearings. Then I assume the jury deliberates and hands down a decision. So I think you are very accurate in how things will be playing out in the near future. Kudos to you!

Thanks DeltaDawn! :)

I failed to give a link in my response above. Below is another section on the duties of a grand juror, followed by the link:

When the witnesses have finished their testimony, it is then your duty to weigh the evidence which has been presented and to decide whether the evidence is sufficient to require the person or persons named to stand trial and answer the charge. The grand jury is the sole judge of the sufficiency of the evidence required to indict.

After hearing the evidence and discussing the case among yourselves, the foreperson will exclude everyone except the grand jurors from the grand jury room and call for a vote. If 9 or more jurors vote to require the defendant to stand trial for the offense, the State's Attorney will prepare a Bill of Indictment to be signed by the foreperson and returned into open Court. If the grand jury by its vote refuses to hold the defendant for trial, the Prosecutor may prepare a written memorandum to such effect, entitled, "No Bill.”

According to the link below, there's 16 members on the grand jury, and 12 must be present for any grand jury hearing. So, only 9 or more out of 12 are needed to hand down an indictment. I'm betting there will be an indictment!

http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/jury/jury3.htm

Maybe he told them daddy had to go on vacation. Isn't that what the children were told about Stacy?
I agree Leila I also think that the ISP has not made a statement about this and that says a lot. Therefore Drew and JAB once again have the floor..and I just don't believe anything they say as to how that particular gun was in Drew's possession. He may have gotten the gun while on the force, or it may have been an additional gun he shouldn't have at home in his possession. But the timing on this is beautiful. No matter how you look at it they are jerking his chain and making sure no one else supplies him with weapons.

I guess he called one of his gal pals to watch the little ones while he was going to jail with JAB today. My heart really aches for those poor children. I can not even fathom what they are going through. The two younger ones probably believe he and JAB had to go somewhere for awhile this afternoon...but can you imagine what the teens think..and what they will endure in school tomorrow from fellow students?

Dang, not what I wanted, but still great! Of course I stopped reading after I saw DrewP to surrender. Guess I had my hopes up, lol.

Great summary Leila. Thanks for letting me know about the hearings.

I agree, something is up. When police have a suspect they are closing in on, they don't make a move without considering it's effect on the murder case. I think they have a reason, something more than the weapons charge.

On bond, they have certain requirements like not able to leave the state. Do you have to give up your weapons? I think they need less probable cause to pick him up? Putting pressure on him psychologically? There is some advantage they will have by arresting him now on a weapons charge. I have seen it done before, but usually they pick them up for lesser charges in order to access evidence or to allow them a chance to question without letting the suspect know how close they are to a final arrest.

Weapons charge is a felony. Does Ill. take DNA on all felonies? Do they take the sample upon arrest or conviction?

So in the next two weeks DrewP is gonna be busy with hearings.

The wheels of Justice are finally starting to turn slowwwwwwwwwwwwllly....but they have started !!!!!!!!

JAB says that it was DrewP's duty weapon. So was it owned by department? If so, why hasn't JAB been petitioning the court to have it turned over to BB. He has been petitioning to get all the weapons turned over to Steve. And was the department aware that their weapon had been altered/shortened???? Or JAB also said that the weapon was registered... but was it?

JAB may be at least partly right. Remember when the Chief of police was talking and he said that he had a criminal offense on DrewP? But he wouldn't explain what he had, just said that he was wasn't going to charge because of the other case? Speculation was that he was using the LE system to check people out unofficially. But the chief never confirmed.

DA says the gun was privately owned. So perhaps this weapon was not the duty weapon. Do BB officers supply their own duty weapons? Someone else mentioned the possibility that this could be the weapon that LE got their hands on when he sold it to someone else. If the weapon was registered, LE would have known to look for that weapon when they did the search. But if it wasn't registered, they wouldn't know to look for it or ask for it. So I agree, I believe this is the best possibility.

Well, it's a start.

Regarding the arrest:

"Peterson shouted, "I love you" to reporters gathered outside the house as he left to turn himself in."

What an idiot.....time and time again he proves it......what an idiot.

Just thinking.....if this law pertained only to civilians and he had the gun while a police officer, shouldn't he have turned it over when he quit? Isn't he now just a civilian?

Or, the explanation I believe is best is that the rules simply don't apply to Drew, just everyone else.

Again I say.....what an idiot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back