Durham police have charged Raven Abaroa with murder in the April 2005 death of his wi

Didn't mean to pop back up, but I wanted to thank the folks who thanked me for my post earlier in the thread.

I didn't realize how much I'd emotionally invested in this case till today. Only comparison for me in my writing career was probably Tori & Dean. I elected to not propose a book for that case because I didn't think I'd be able to handle it, psychologically.

I have a feeling Raven never thought this would happen. At least not till recently.

Nice surprise.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/audio/6943523/

Janet's family friend talks...he even talks about the similar patterns with Jason Young.
Sounds like the cops thought he was a flight risk to Canada when he recently moved to Idaho :shock:

Raven and Brad couldn't keep their mouths shut and their own words help hang them. The other sociopath, Jason, at least was smart enough to stay totally silent.

Praise God. Heartfelt prayers to Janet's loved ones. We will be here with you for the long awaited process...as always. I wish I could hug you all right now, I have great big tears welling up right now.

Thank you so much Steve.

I am so grateful that you saw the unfairness in how The Runaway Bride could become the top story and could transfix the nation, while Janet's brutal murder received so little attention. Thank you so much for your original blog, thank you so much for bringing it to Websleuths.

Thanks to Tricia, Websleuths, the moderators, the sleuthers that worked tirelessly at the beginning, Golfmom, Original Jersey Girl, PrayersforMaura, NCBanker, Southeastsleuths, lauriej, Tybee (rip) , LL&S, Jax and all the sleuthers that have stuck it out until the end. <3 thank you.

There is still a long way to go and I know this is one of those cases where people have been afraid to come forward, please do so now.

I never lost faith in LE. Nobody can say LE "rushed to judgment", this case faced so many political upheavals and so many roadblocks, including people afraid to come forward.

Anyone with further information on this case is asked to contact Investigator Sole at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29350 or by email at Charles.Sole@durhamnc.gov. or Sgt. Perkins at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29326 or by email at Sheldon.Perkins@durhamnc.gov .

http://triangle.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=6650

Why Isn&#8217;t He Charged With Two Murders?
Posted February 2nd, 2010 at 7:24 AM by Donna Martinez
Reports in the News & Observer and Herald-Sun say police have charged Raven Abaroa with killing his wife Janet back in 2005.

Janet was pregnant, yet it appears Mr. Abaroa is charged with just one murder. That is outrageous. Despite ridiculous claims to the contrary, an unborn child is a human being. The fact that the state&#8217;s legal system proceeds as if this baby never existed is a terribly sad affront to human dignity.

----------
In answer to the question raised by the blog, the Family Statement seems to answer this question.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is important to note that North Carolina is one among eight other states that does not prosecute individuals for the murder of an unborn child of the murdered mother. We find this fundamentally illogical to the laws of this land that protect the life and liberties of all. It needs to be understood that in many murder cases that involve an unborn child the motivation of ending that unborn child&#8217;s life is the primary driving force to commit the murder of the mother. The state of North Carolina needs to recognize and accept this by passing the fetal homicide law."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.thejusticeforallcoalition.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/2433919/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Year after year Bills get introduced and year after year NC doesn't act.

The Laci & Conner Peterson Act is a Federal law, and unless the murder is a Federal Murder, NC does not allow for charging the crime as two separate murders.

In North Carolina the current law states "
[/FONT]
any person, who in the commission of a felony, causes injury to a woman, knowing the woman to be pregnant, in which injury results in the miscarriage or stillbirth by the woman is guilty of a felony that is one class higher than the felony committed."

This is completely weak and lame IMO!

Didn't mean to pop back up, but I wanted to thank the folks who thanked me for my post earlier in the thread.

I didn't realize how much I'd emotionally invested in this case till today. Only comparison for me in my writing career was probably Tori & Dean. I elected to not propose a book for that case because I didn't think I'd be able to handle it, psychologically.

I have a feeling Raven never thought this would happen. At least not till recently.

Nice surprise.

It is so good to have you back!

Be afraid little man... be very afraid... because Janet is finally getting justice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am so happy to see some of these old cases finally come to fruitition. Here's hoping 2010 brings more closures to more old cases!

http://triangle.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=6650

Why Isn’t He Charged With Two Murders?
Posted February 2nd, 2010 at 7:24 AM by Donna Martinez
Reports in the News & Observer and Herald-Sun say police have charged Raven Abaroa with killing his wife Janet back in 2005.

Janet was pregnant, yet it appears Mr. Abaroa is charged with just one murder. That is outrageous. Despite ridiculous claims to the contrary, an unborn child is a human being. The fact that the state’s legal system proceeds as if this baby never existed is a terribly sad affront to human dignity.

----------
In answer to the question raised by the blog, the Family Statement seems to answer this question.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is important to note that North Carolina is one among eight other states that does not prosecute individuals for the murder of an unborn child of the murdered mother. We find this fundamentally illogical to the laws of this land that protect the life and liberties of all. It needs to be understood that in many murder cases that involve an unborn child the motivation of ending that unborn child’s life is the primary driving force to commit the murder of the mother. The state of North Carolina needs to recognize and accept this by passing the fetal homicide law."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.thejusticeforallcoalition.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/2433919/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Year after year Bills get introduced and year after year NC doesn't act. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Laci & Conner Peterson Act is a Federal law, and unless the murder is a Federal Murder, NC does not allow for charging the crime as two separate murders. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In North Carolina the current law states "[/FONT]
any person, who in the commission of a felony, causes injury to a woman, knowing the woman to be pregnant, in which injury results in the miscarriage or stillbirth by the woman is guilty of a felony that is one class higher than the felony committed."

This is completely weak and lame IMO!

Unfortunately, NC doesn't have a Fetal Homicide Law.

I'm always amazed when someone fights extradition from one state to another. Has it worked in modern history?? I can't think of a case where one state has told another "No, we'll keep him" unless he was being charged with something serious in that state (i.e. Ted Bundy committing murders in multiple states).

I haven't read a single post yet but I didn't want to waste even a second before posting. It feels surreal to see this moment finally come to pass! I can't wait to get into the threads and read all of the details but wanted to check in, say hello to everyone, and send my love to the family. This has been such a tremendously long road for you. You deserve to finally get justice for your beloved Janet.

Swat team and a command post was used per news reports

Something tells me they suspected he was about to crack and maybe go off the deep end. Wonder if they will find a weapon stockpile?

The family friend that was interviewed said it was time to arrest him 'because of the safety of the officers involved".

Hmmm.

Sounds like there will be more to this story.
Can't wait to read the SW's on his house and computer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back