Earthquake SoCal

sjc.jpg

Weird! I was home earlier, on the couch and I thought I felt something! But then i thought it was the washer acting up!

Yup, that about sums it up :) Nope, didn't feel a thing here (San Diego), but a 3 pointer is relatively small. It's interesting, though, to see quake activity in Orange County.

LOL.

I read on a different site where someone had transposed the numbers - a 3.8 became a 8.3, and I sat there thinking, well, shoot. I should've felt THAT one. Come to find out they were having a bad day...but not that bad.

I love the "we will rebuild."

I don't like all these quakes around the San Andreas Elbow, and nothing here. Feels like some pressure should be letting off, so we don't explode or something. I know it's not necessarily true, but it feels like eq's are occurring more often, and with larger frequency, than 10 years ago. Stats say otherwise, and I know we don't have long term records, but still...something just feels wrong about all of this.

but we WILL rebuild...even down to the lawn furniture.

Best-
Herding Cats

Where is the "San Andreas Elbow"? I can't find the term with a google search.

Where is the "San Andreas Elbow"? I can't find the term with a google search.

Sorry, Nova, I thought it was a more common term. One of my geology instructors (lo these many years ago now) used that term, and it's stuck.

The "Elbow" is the area around Frazier Park, inland from Santa Barbara. It's where the north/south line of the SAF bends slightly towards the east, and then continues down into Mexico.

It's a spot that a lot of folks historically believe will be a fracture of the transform fault will break in a catastrophic eq, because at some point in the past, for it to have bent east like that, there was a fracture there. Almost like the bottom is pushing up past the top, even though this is not a thrust fault.

There are also a whole lot of "little" faults in the San Fernando Valley, on an east west orientation, and those may be remnants of an earlier fault break at the elbow, or stress faults from the lower part of the state creating pressure on the area of the elbow.

Hope that makes some sense...thanks for asking. I didn't realize that it wasn't as common as I thought it was. I'll do better next time.

Best-
Herding Cats

WOW, I am thankful all of our Californians are fine and safe even tho I am happy for the occasion that created this thread. :what:

Fascinatingly educational, some of the best laughs I've had lately including Kimster's dry humor and Chico's 'snorts' {LOL} and seeing y'all here after all these years is just plain neato.

Another reason is as of late I've been thinking of you allot Bean, wondering how you are as I hardly ever see you here. Now I know you are still posting and OK.

Now let's hope the 'elbow' stays in one position so those muscles can't be flexed. xox

Good to see you scandi. i am around here and there-but not too much. I try and read when I can. :hug:
more info
Orange County quake could be first on recently discovered fault
The earthquake may have measured only 3.9, but it still could make history in Orange County.
Monday's temblor, centered in the southern suburb of Laguna Niguel, could be the first measured on a fault discovered only 13 years ago, which runs along the coast from Newport Beach and Costa Mesa to San Juan Capistrano -- close to the San Onofre nuclear power plant.
The little-known fault –- called the San Joaquin Hills thrust -- is similar to the fault that triggered the deadly Northridge quake 18 years ago in the San Fernando Valley.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...nty-quake-san-joaquin-hills-thrust-fault.html

Southern Californian buildings sway in 'sonic boom' earthquake but no one is hurt
Southern Californians were shaken out of bed Saturday morning by a small earthquake that rattled homes across the Inland Empire region and caused buildings to sway in downtown Los Angeles.

The magnitude 3.8 earthquake struck at 8:07 a.m. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was centered about two miles northwest of Devore, in San Bernardino County.
---
'It felt like a sonic boom,' said Letty Salgado, a server at Papa Tony's Diner in San Bernardino.

'Everybody was startled. Customers all looked at each other, then went right back to their breakfasts. It was real quick.'
---
more at Daily Mail link above, from the 04.28 online issue

Customers all looked at each other, then went right back to their breakfasts. It was real quick.'
Yes, that's normal.

Honestly.

I joke about it: if it can make me move, it's over a 5. If it makes me move fast, it's over 5.5. But other than that...well...I just don't notice.

Best-
Herding Cats

I used to have a cat that would jump straight up in the air at the slightest tremor, then hide under the bed for 24 hours.

But my current cat just looks at me as if to say, "Well, are we going to get excited about this or not?" If I don't get up, he goes back to sleep.

My son is fascinated by earthquakes and volcanoes right now. We were watching youtube videos of earthquakes and erupting volcanoes and I was explaining to him that animals are much more sensitive to vibrations and atmospheric changes than humans. I looked for some videos to demonstrate and found these.... (The cat's reaction is not typical in my experience, but I found it really funny--)....

My Cat's Reaction To The 5.9 Earthquake - YouTube

(and)

[video=youtube;FV4EMzyJsqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV4EMzyJsqU[/video]

That cat was absolutely freaking out. Did you see the ear twitch? And he passed out there at the end, probably from fright!

ROFL.

Best-
Herding Cats

(BTW, the dog Sophie got out with her owner just fine. I followed the story when it happened, and there's footage of her leaving with her owner down the stairs to the outside with no issue. Thank God...)

BTW 2: Romi is acting super odd right now...literally at the front door snuffling and then to the front window staring out while atop the back of the sofa. Something's bugging him; I would not be surprised if there was a quake right about now...he's been doing this for about 20 minutes. It's a tad weird. Usually he's chewing a bone in his bed right about now...

OK that was weird- anyone else feel it?
Never felt one quite like that before. Jolting not rocking.

Hi, Jelly!!
I thought of you right away when I heard about this earthquake and was wondering if it affected you. I miss you!!!

Sorry, Nova, I thought it was a more common term. One of my geology instructors (lo these many years ago now) used that term, and it's stuck.

The "Elbow" is the area around Frazier Park, inland from Santa Barbara. It's where the north/south line of the SAF bends slightly towards the east, and then continues down into Mexico.

It's a spot that a lot of folks historically believe will be a fracture of the transform fault will break in a catastrophic eq, because at some point in the past, for it to have bent east like that, there was a fracture there. Almost like the bottom is pushing up past the top, even though this is not a thrust fault.

There are also a whole lot of "little" faults in the San Fernando Valley, on an east west orientation, and those may be remnants of an earlier fault break at the elbow, or stress faults from the lower part of the state creating pressure on the area of the elbow.

Hope that makes some sense...thanks for asking. I didn't realize that it wasn't as common as I thought it was. I'll do better next time.

Best-
Herding Cats

No, thank YOU. I've been in Southern California for 27 years now and had never learned all that. I wish I'd taken geology in California rather than in Florida! LOL.

No, thank YOU. I've been in Southern California for 27 years now and had never learned all that. I wish I'd taken geology in California rather than in Florida! LOL.

Florida has a lot of interesting geology, mostly having to do with both the purported asteroid impact as well as erosion and sub-sea level pressure and formation. And of course it's actual components of ground.

But California is very interesting; we have all of the same things that FL does, except the underbed rock is somewhat different. And we're much "younger" than FL, too, in the grand scheme of things. We have cliffs, mountains, and valleys (and where you have these three in "close" conjunction, you have fault lines). What is intriguing is that we have mountain ranges that go cross-wise near each other, and also near an ocean, and that shore has some fairly large cliffs. So it's apparent that there is a lot of underground activity here.

Having been in quite a few of the larger eqs in California, I took some geology classes. There was some very interesting things taught, and I loved the field trips we took. I didn't enjoy learning about how dangerous it really is here regarding earth movement, but then again, it's dangerous everywhere; I don't know one place that doesn't have it's own natural disaster inherent to the region.

I will say, even though I've watched eq's for years on USGS, something does seem to be happening. It's almost as if the southern active regions (just north of Australia; the Indonesian area, Fiji/Tonga, and so on) seem to be moving, and it looks like they're moving northward and eastward. '

Both of those movements put pressure on faults, such as Japan and Chile. Both of those areas seem to be either fracturing (e.g. Japan) or having mulitple eq's without severe damage (e.g. Chile), and also displacing things more northward/eastward (towards the Alaska Islands [almost always in motion]) and towards Mexico and the West Coast.

Like I said, I've watched quakes for years...but this is a very different pattern than I'm used to seeing. A whole lot more 5 and 5.5s almost on top of each other, and that has got to put the pressure elsewhere - and I just worry that since we're not "letting off steam" like we should, and like we've seen in Mexico and Chile.

Nothing to do but make sure one's emergency supplies are updated, right? So that's what I do.

Best-
Herding Cats

Florida has a lot of interesting geology, mostly having to do with both the purported asteroid impact as well as erosion and sub-sea level pressure and formation. And of course it's actual components of ground.

But California is very interesting; we have all of the same things that FL does, except the underbed rock is somewhat different. And we're much "younger" than FL, too, in the grand scheme of things. We have cliffs, mountains, and valleys (and where you have these three in "close" conjunction, you have fault lines). What is intriguing is that we have mountain ranges that go cross-wise near each other, and also near an ocean, and that shore has some fairly large cliffs. So it's apparent that there is a lot of underground activity here.

Having been in quite a few of the larger eqs in California, I took some geology classes. There was some very interesting things taught, and I loved the field trips we took. I didn't enjoy learning about how dangerous it really is here regarding earth movement, but then again, it's dangerous everywhere; I don't know one place that doesn't have it's own natural disaster inherent to the region.

I will say, even though I've watched eq's for years on USGS, something does seem to be happening. It's almost as if the southern active regions (just north of Australia; the Indonesian area, Fiji/Tonga, and so on) seem to be moving, and it looks like they're moving northward and eastward. '

Both of those movements put pressure on faults, such as Japan and Chile. Both of those areas seem to be either fracturing (e.g. Japan) or having mulitple eq's without severe damage (e.g. Chile), and also displacing things more northward/eastward (towards the Alaska Islands [almost always in motion]) and towards Mexico and the West Coast.

Like I said, I've watched quakes for years...but this is a very different pattern than I'm used to seeing. A whole lot more 5 and 5.5s almost on top of each other, and that has got to put the pressure elsewhere - and I just worry that since we're not "letting off steam" like we should, and like we've seen in Mexico and Chile.

Nothing to do but make sure one's emergency supplies are updated, right? So that's what I do.

Best-
Herding Cats

HC, I live in the Coachella "Valley" which isn't a valley at all, but a graben formed by faults and rising mountain ranges on three sides. As I'm sure you know, the San Andreas runs along the North edge of the graben.

Lot of interesting shaking out here. Our new method of estimating earthquakes isn't the Richter scale, but how much water is sloshed out of the swimming pool. LOL.

Actually, hearing about the "San Andreas elbow" is a little reassuring, since current theories hold that the SA fault is more likely to rupture badly a couple hundred miles north of us. Of course, it seems like they revise their theories every time there's a new quake. In any other field, that would be called "making it up as they go".

Yes, that's normal.

Honestly.

I joke about it: if it can make me move, it's over a 5. If it makes me move fast, it's over 5.5. But other than that...well...I just don't notice.

Best-
Herding Cats

Me either. We usually look around for a few seconds, and if anything isn't flying off the shelves or out of cupboards, it's back to business as ususal ;)

My parents didn't realize they built their cabin in Frazier Park on the fault line until years after it was finished.

My dad still lives up there, and so far so good (touch wood).

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back