Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You believe what you want.. I dont rely on MSM for all my news. JMO

If you could get ebola without direct contact with fluids, even while wearing hazmat, most of West Africa would be wiped out by now. Think about it. There was either a break in protocol, or they got it while being around people who they did not know had it.

I worry that a dangerous message is being sent, here. Ebola survives outside the body, even dried, for several days.

So ebola is also transfered by fomites - pens, handles, and worse, porous objects.

If that were not the case, simply consider the tight isolation of the ambulance by CDC, days later, even though it had received several typical between - patient cleanings.

Or check out the CDC's instructions for making Airplanes safe after exposure to ebola.

Semantics are misleading, ie, "direct contact with bodily fluids" is perceived to mean person to person/near contact, or getting a gooey glob on you. Not true.

This isn't as infectious as measles, but it's much much more infectious than AIDS.

Panicking is not helpful, but neither is a false sense of security that puts more people at risk.

Sent via Tapatalk for S4

I worry that a dangerous message is being sent, here. Ebola survives outside the body, even dried, for several days.

So ebola is also transfered by fomites - pens, handles, and worse, porous objects.

If that were not the case, simply consider the tight isolation of the ambulance by CDC, days later, even though it had received several typical between - patient cleanings.

Or check out the CDC's instructions for making Airplanes safe after exposure to ebola.

Semantics are misleading, ie, "direct contact with bodily fluids" is perceived to mean person to person/near contact, or getting a gooey glob on you. Not true.

This isn't as infectious as measles, but it's much much more infectious than AIDS.

Panicking is not helpful, but neither is a false sense of security that puts more people at risk.

Sent via Tapatalk for S4

ITA. If Ebola was not highly infectious, there would be no need for medical professionals to suit up like space men.
And some of them still manage to catch it despite precautions.
And this guy in Dallas was not even isolated until at least 4 days into his symptoms.
He could have (and potentially did) infected people during this period.

I have also read that this strain is more virulent that past strains. I have seen, from my past research, viruses change from test tube to test tube. Viruses have a high mutation rate, which is why the flu shot changes from year to year. I never underestimate the power of Mother Nature to spread and thrive. We are fortunate we live in a society where we have the ability to thwart things due to hygienic practices, however, at the end of the day, humans leave a biological imprint on everything they come into contact with.

You can catch chicken pox if someone on aisle 9 in the grocery store has it and you are on aisle 8 and never even saw the person. Ebola requires direct contact with the body fluids of the infected person. It is nowhere near as contagious as some of the people on this thread are insinuating.

Why do they wear protected suits and seal off the hospital wing???
Chicken pox has a vaccine.

Possible second case. Sounds to me like the second patient is already symptomatic. If you ask me, I am pretty sure there will be more (considering this guy was out for four days while symptomatic).

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents: The fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said. "So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/01/texas-ebola-patient/16525649/

Just think about this. There have been over 3,000 deaths in Africa from this disease so far during the current outbreak. If someone could be infected as easily as many here are insisting, there should be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS to millions dead ALREADY. It simply isn't the case.

Until someone explains why there aren't hundreds of thousands of dead in Africa ALREADY, given their medical system, their cultural behavior, their medical ignorance, their lack of supplies, etc., then they are not going to convince me I should be hiding in my home or that being in the same grocery store as an infected individual is going to result in infection. The evidence speaks loudly that this is not the case. It's one thing to be concerned, exercise precautions, demand better of our leaders in terms of immigration/travel policies, and quite another to be running around like Chicken Little making statements which are not backed up by evidence.

And there will be more cases of this in the US, starting with this guy's close contacts. So what do we do? How do we convince our leaders that there should be a moratorium on travel to and from these areas while we shut this down here?

Just think about this. There have been over 3,000 deaths in Africa from this disease so far during the current outbreak. If someone could be infected as easily as many here are insisting, there should be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS to millions dead ALREADY. It simply isn't the case.

Until someone explains why there aren't hundreds of thousands of dead in Africa ALREADY, given their medical system, their cultural behavior, their medical ignorance, their lack of supplies, etc., then they are not going to convince me I should be hiding in my home or that being in the same grocery store as an infected individual is going to result in infection. The evidence speaks loudly that this is not the case. It's one thing to be concerned, exercise precautions, demand better of our leaders in terms of immigration/travel policies, and quite another to be running around like Chicken Little making statements which are not backed up by evidence.

First of all, it's very clear that official numbers are vastly underestimated. Second of all, give it time.
CDC is predicting a large increase in patients in a near future.
"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that Ebola cases in these two West African nations could range between 550,000 and 1.4 million cases by January 20, 2015."
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-cases-triple-20-000-november-unless-efforts-044131014.html

^^^^That has ZERO to do with how contagious it is. OF COURSE if they fail to contain it, it will continue to spread. The FACT remains that if it were as contagious as people are insisting, it would be wiping out the population in horrific proportions. IT IS NOT HAPPENING that way.

^^^^That has ZERO to do with how contagious it is. OF COURSE if they fail to contain it, it will continue to spread. The FACT remains that if it were as contagious as people are insisting, it would be wiping out the population in horrific proportions. IT IS NOT HAPPENING that way.

A million of cases by January 2015 is not horrific enough?

Second person in Dallas being monitored for Ebola:

http://www.whas11.com/news/Officials-Second-person-being-monitored-for-Ebola-277748751.html

DALLAS (GANNETT AFFILIATE) — Health officials are closely monitoring apossible second Ebola patient who had close contact with the first patient to be diagnosed in the U.S., the director of Dallas County's health department said Wednesday.

All who have been in close contact with the diagnosed patient are being monitored as a precaution, said Zachary Thompson, director of Dallas County Health and Human Services.

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents: The fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said. "So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk because health officials have the virus contained.

Its possible,I'll give you that.. but it also makes sense that if an infected person sneezes on a window sill and then patient a comes along puts hand on window sill then rubs eyes, nose etc those droplets could be transferred to the patient a...and from what I understand this can live up to 32 hours outside of a host. That in itself is scary.

Oh and most of West africa will be wiped out by the time this is all over.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...fusing-volunteers-too-late-to-fight-outbreak/[/QUOTE

They are saying 1.5 million people infected by January. 6000 people infected per CDC.

I just added this-Liberia has been the worst hit by the disease, accounting for 1,830 deaths – 150 in the last two days alone.

IMO there should have been no planes arriving or departing in Liberia.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ebola-could-infect-one-half-million-soon-says-cdc-1467514

The patient left Liberia on Sept. 19 and arrived in Dallas the following day. On Sept. 26, he sought treatment at the hospital after becoming ill but was sent home with a prescription for antibiotics. Two days later, he was admitted with more critical symptoms, after requiring an ambulance ride to the hospital.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/01/texas-ebola-patient/16525649/

The patient was in contact with several children before he was hospitalized, health officials here said.

Each of those children have been kept home from school and are under precautionary monitoring, Thompson said.

There will be more from this, jmo. Let's see person comes in infected 6 days later goes to hospital and is sent home, has to go back to hospital 2 days later by way of ambulance and is admitted.
In the mean time the (kid/s) went to school and he was at the hospital and gawd knows where else in those what, 8 days. It's my opinion there will be more from this individual.

A million of cases by January 2015 is not horrific enough?

That is a straw man. Is this disease as easily spread as people are claiming? NO it is not. Of course if you do not contain (which Africa, for reasons stated is not doing) it will continue on its merry little way. Do you actually think the US will approach this disease in the way Africa has, with people burying their own dead, keeping CDC officials out of their towns, ignoring education as to the proper ways to handle the disease, refusing to allow CDC to identify and quarantine individuals? No, they will not.

Saying that ebola is as contagious as flu, chicken pox, or any other easily contracted disease does not make it so. Does that mean we don't worry about it? That we don't move immediately to contain, educate the public, etc.? That we take it for granted? Of course not. That doesn't mean we need to walk around blathering misinformation either and inciting panic citing "facts" that are patently false.

My personal opinion is: Put a moratorium on travel to and from these affected countries and/or require a 21 day quarantine of anyone coming in, regardless of lack of symptoms. If that were done, we could easily contain the Dallas case and end it there.

Two: There needs to be a world wide effort to contain the outbreak in Africa, and massive education of those citizens is a must.

Three: We need to develop a vaccine, plain and simple.

Although at this point I believe this will be contained, yet, I can't help but wonder about future issues as flights to that part of Africa are allowed to continue.

I'm also concerned b/c my niece--age 28--has recently become involved in a charitable organization where she will be traveling to S. Africa this month to work with AIDS patients. I think it's crazy for her to be going, if it were my daughter I would be all but tying her to the bed rather than "letting" her go.

After staying in Africa for about 4 weeks, she will travel to Thailand, before she returns home, right before christmas.

Talk about 1 person potentionally wreaking havoc!!! I know I probably sound crazy paranoid, but I can't help it.

That is a straw man. Is this disease as easily spread as people are claiming? NO it is not. Of course if you do not contain (which Africa, for reasons stated is not doing) it will continue on its merry little way. Do you actually think the US will approach this disease in the way Africa has, with people burying their own dead, keeping CDC officials out of their towns, ignoring education as to the proper ways to handle the disease, refusing to allow CDC to identify and quarantine individuals? No, they will not.

Saying that ebola is as contagious as flu, chicken pox, or any other easily contracted disease does not make it so. Does that mean we don't worry about it? That we don't move immediately to contain, educate the public, etc.? That we take it for granted? Of course not. That doesn't mean we need to walk around blathering misinformation either and inciting panic citing "facts" that are patently false.

I don't think anyone said it was as contagious as chicken pox, unless I missed it. It actually has a low transmissible rate, comparable to that of HIV, but due to it's high mortality rate and the fact it doesn't just infect those with a compromised immune system, it needs to be treated as if it's as contagious as the flu IMO.

No, you are not likely to catch it, but I always say better safe than sorry.

Fortunately, there is no historical precedent of a virus changing it's mode of transmission.

Also, I think it's important to note there are a lot of unknowns in regards to ebola.

Second person in Dallas being monitored for Ebola:

http://www.whas11.com/news/Officials-Second-person-being-monitored-for-Ebola-277748751.html

DALLAS (GANNETT AFFILIATE) — Health officials are closely monitoring apossible second Ebola patient who had close contact with the first patient to be diagnosed in the U.S., the director of Dallas County's health department said Wednesday.

All who have been in close contact with the diagnosed patient are being monitored as a precaution, said Zachary Thompson, director of Dallas County Health and Human Services.

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk because health officials have the virus contained.

Oh noooo. I just saw this in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member