Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see my post above
Thanks, but you are doing the same as me; i.e. getting information off of links. How do we know which links are correct, half-correct, or false? None of us really know if those hospitals were full. None of us really know if those hospitals thought she had Ebola.

Thanks, but you are doing the same as me; i.e. getting information off of links. How do we know which links are correct, half-correct, or false? None of us really know if those hospitals were full. None of us really know if those hospitals thought she had Ebola.

And yet it is perfectly OK for people to assert as fact that they knew she had Ebola and that her family lied - even though that is not printed anywhere. Why?

My original statement about the hospitals was not just opinion with no links. It was based on articles about the state of healthcare in Liberia. It also had links which seem to have got lost, so here they are again:

This article is a few weeks old now, but one can only think that things will be even worse now than they were when it was written:

http://www.unfpa.org/public/cache/of...news/pid/18139

Health centres around the country have run out of obstetric gloves and personal protection equipment needed to prevent contamination.

Lack of these essential supplies, illness among health-care providers, and fear of infection among staff have all contributed to the widespread closure of health facilities, especially in Ebola-affected areas.

The crisis has also diverted critical resources away from pregnant women, who already faced limited access to adequate health care. For example, in Bong, one of the most populous counties, the ambulance used for obstetric emergencies is now being used for the Ebola response. And the surgical and emergency departments at JFK Hospital, one of the country’s major referral hospitals, are closed.

“As a result of the outbreak, there has been an increase in pregnant women dying from preventable causes, including ante-partum and post-partum haemorrhage, ruptured uterus, as well as hypertensive disease,” said Dr. Mulbah.

Here is another article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jinamoore/ho...-ebola#4icw4kq

How Ebola Can Kill You — Even When You Don’t Have Ebola

Fofana is not the only mother-to-be lost to the Ebola panic that has gripped Liberia. On Wednesday, a pregnant woman near the capital, Monrovia, died of labor complications because she couldn’t find a clinic to treat her. Last week, a woman died of a miscarriage for the same reason.

The story repeats as families tell of loved ones dying of malaria, diabetes, or diseases they know only by the symptoms doctors used to treat — a swollen foot, a shaking disorder

So if it is true that Marthalene's family were told she had malaria, then it is still perfectly credible that she was taken to hospital and turned away - and if she was turned away then at no point will she or her family have been given a diagnosis of Ebola before she died.

(Respectfully snipped...)

So if it is true that Marthalene's family were told she had malaria, then it is still perfectly credible that she was taken to hospital and turned away - and if she was turned away then at no point will she or her family have been given a diagnosis of Ebola before she died.

Malaria is not contagious. It's transmitted by mosquitoes.

Is malaria a contagious disease? No. Malaria is not spread from person to person like a cold or the flu, and it cannot be sexually transmitted. You cannot get malaria from casual contact with malaria-infected people, such as sitting next to someone who has malaria.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

Malaria is not contagious. It's transmitted by mosquitoes.

Is malaria a contagious disease? No. Malaria is not spread from person to person like a cold or the flu, and it cannot be sexually transmitted. You cannot get malaria from casual contact with malaria-infected people, such as sitting next to someone who has malaria.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

I don't think anyone has said that malaria is contagious have they?

It is the No.1 cause of death in Liberia, so hospital treatment is required if symptoms are severe. I am not sure if Ebola deaths are high enough to get into the top 10 yet.

I don't think anyone has said that malaria is contagious have they?

That's not the point. The point is: So if it is true that Marthalene's family were told she had malaria...

Several of her familiy members got very sick as well and died a few days later. Ebola is highly contagious. Malaria is not.

There is now way I would take my pregnant daughter...sick or not, to a Ebola clinic if she did not have Ebola. jmo

There is now way I would take my pregnant daughter...sick or not, to a Ebola clinic if she did not have Ebola. jmo

I would definitely check her tongue for bite marks before taking her there..

That's not the point. The point is: So if it is true that Marthalene's family were told she had malaria...

Several of her familiy members got very sick as well and died a few days later. Ebola is highly contagious. Malaria is not.

Other people did not start to get ill and die until after Marthalene had died and been buried - so none of that alters the fact that her family could have believed she had malaria when she died. Nobody else was ill at that point.

I think Sonny her brother was the first to die. He started having symptoms at about the same time as Thomas Duncan - so around nine days after Marthalene died. Her mum and dad are currently being observed but have only recently started getting ill. A couple of neighbours got ill and I seem to recall that they died at about the same time as Sonny.

Other people did not start to get ill and die until after Marthalene had died and been buried - so none of that alters the fact that her family could have believed she had malaria when she died. Nobody else was ill at that point.

I think Sonny her brother was the first to die. He started having symptoms at about the same time as Thomas Duncan - so around nine days after Marthalene died. Her mum and dad are currently being observed but have only recently started getting ill. A couple of neighbours got ill and I seem to recall that they died at about the same time as Sonny.

So the parents are coming on 20 days since initial exposure.. Interesting

Please Everyone,

If you are tempted to post something mean, snarky, or sharp, just pull your fingers away from your keyboard.

People are scared and it seems like some are on the verge of hysteria.

This situation is ripe for rumors.

Rumors in something like this take on a life of their own so please watch what you post. Your words are powerful.

Thank You,

Tricia

I've had thoughts recently...

1. Aspirin or Tylenol can fool a thermometer pretty simply. If the world is relying on thermometers and honesty as it's litmus test for travel, we're all screwed.

2. The Spanish nun who was diagnosed today (or, that we found out about today)...how long has it been since the priest she was tending to passed away? I asked that because 1 of the priest came just after doctor brantley was in emory, and the other 1 was more recent. I'm wondering about length of time between exposure and symptoms.I know it's been said from 2 to 21 days, but I'm wondering in this case.

Best
Hc

Yea the Spanish nurse had been on vacation when she started having symptoms I'd like to know where she was on vacation and when she treated the ebola infected person also.

the priest was flown to madrid on august 6th and he died on august 12th.
i was wondering where she was o. vacation since this news broke. i really want to know and i find it strange that we dont know that yet. i find it a really important piece of information for anyone.

EDIT

sorry that was the wrong priest. the nurse who now has ebola treated another man, who died september 25!

Since April this year it was well known in Liberia that there was an Ebola outbreak:

1 April 2014 Last updated at 15:08 ET

Eyewitness: Ebola outbreak fears

An Ebola outbreak which is so far suspected of killing at least 83 people in Guinea has spread to Liberia, sparking concerns it could spread further afield in West Africa.

_73934327_ebola_w_africa464.gif

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26844105

IMO, Thomas Eric Duncan is an educated man, he was able to use a computer, having a FB site, having plenty of connections to the USA, where the Ebola threat was discussed on national TV since months. I believe, he knew very well about the fear of Ebola and the threat in Liberia. IMO, he lied about Ebola. IMO, he knew very well what was going on.

Because he handled a dying woman only 3 days before he hopped that plane. He knew Marthalene was ill and she died that night in the same complex he lived in. He may not have known her brother died, but he had to have known she died. If he really believed she died of a miscarriage and cut her tongue when the area was ravaged by Ebola- he still could have thought it was malaria- then he really is stupid.

Plus I keep reading that she was turned way from a couple of places because their "ebola" units were full. Duncan had to have heard that.

the priest was flown to madrid on august 6th and he died on august 12th.
i was wondering where she was o. vacation since this news broke. i really want to know and i find it strange that we dont know that yet. i find it a really important piece of information for anyone.

She also nursed th second priest according to the BBC and he died on 25th September. Not sure if that helps at all, but it does fit the 2-21 day incubation period.

Nor was she admitted to a hospital, she was taken to 3 different ones, and all refused. Most likely her tongue was examined and determined that she did NOT bite her tongue, nor did she have malaria or a miscarriage, but just another Ebola patient that they didn't have room for.

She probably did have a miscarriage, pregnant women with Ebola typically miscarry followed by a lot of bleeding.

I think they (clinics/hospitals) knew it was Ebola and likely at least ONE said so.

Thank-you!:clap::clap::clap: This is the question I have been asking. This is exactly why we need to close our borders until we get the situation under control. Closing our borders does NOT equal hiding our heads in the sand or fearmongering/hysteria. Doctors and medical supplies can be flown to West Africa on military transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member