Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to give Amber the benefit of the doubt,she may have been looking for the symptoms that she thought were typical of early stage ebola,bodyaches,sore throat, low fever. Maybe she just felt "funny" which I could feel on any given day. I know if I thought I may have been exposed,I would definitely start imagining I had symptoms. She probably thought she was just being paranoid. For her return trip,she then started with the fever and that's when she called CDC.

Another boy wrote that his goal when he grew up was to find a cure for ebola. The children are watching the tv and hearing about ebola.

What a sweetheart. :)

But I SURE HOPE we don't have to wait that long.

Trying to give Amber the benefit of the doubt,she may have been looking for the symptoms that she thought were typical of early stage ebola,bodyaches,sore throat, low fever. Maybe she just felt "funny" which I could feel on any given day. I know if I thought I may have been exposed,I would definitely start imagining I had symptoms. She probably thought she was just being paranoid. For her return trip,she then started with the fever and that's when she called CDC.

Who knows, she could have been getting her period and thought that is what was going on.

Did you see how well Nina walked? Her pace was pretty good! Not fabulous, but better than poor Amber...

She walked better than I would have if I were wearing all that gear. Even if I felt okay, I would probably have tripped and fallen. Not how I would have envisioned my People Magazine cover.

I'm soooo hopeful for her recovery. Wish Amber could get some plasma as well, but I know we can't drain Dr. Brantly dry, and Mrs. Writebol's situation is not clear.

She walked better than I would have if I were wearing all that gear. Even if I felt okay, I would probably have tripped and fallen. Not how I would have envisioned my People Magazine cover.

I'm soooo hopeful for her recovery. Wish Amber could get some plasma as well, but I know we can't drain Dr. Brantly dry, and Mrs. Writebol's situation is not clear.

It would be wonderful if Amber could get some as well. Bless both these women.

I'm admittedly baffled by her decision to fly, but like you I give her the benefit of the doubt because "feeling funny" could mean anything. I probably feel "funny" at least once a week. :crazy: Stomach upset could be mild and chalked up to simple indigestion or related to having her period maybe. Headache... Well, everyone gets them, and especially when under stress.

I just wish something had clicked in her mind though when she saw the temp raise and called CDC. And obviously wish the person who took her call would wouldn't have given her the okay. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right. Or maybe clipboard guy? He did get on the flight right?

Clipboard-waste-bag-guy wasn't military was he? I thought he was supervising the hazmat suits. Dunno. JMO

I was wondering if the military person was her fiance.

I thought her fiancé was the guy who worked with the medical company in Dallas, that they did not name but "sources" said was her fiancé?

Have read so many articles it's hard to remember.

CNN now reporting that AV had been ill for THREE DAYS before she took the flight to Dallas.

Am just catching up again, and have heard on the news about the guy from Yale university, and our news is reporting such headlines as " US losing control of containing Ebola crisis."

The US and Spain seem to be the two countries outside Africa most affected. Spain seems to be under control, whereas the US seems to be having daily scares.

I think you guys need to be in an uproar and start petitions and protests etc re how slack authorities have been in their response to the threat of this disease..

I see there are "ifs and maybes"going on re it being airborne. Yesterday I was reading a scientific report on how it is mutating.

NO RISKS must be taken at all. The CDC seemed to be forming their protocols based on assumptions such as it is only contagious closer to death of the patient.

While this may be true, it is not totally proven, and until such time that it is, all precautions must be strictly enforced.

I am still not getting why the authorities are still not overly cautious, rather than under, as appears to be. If it is to do with fear of politicial correctness backlash due to maybe people having rights etc, then I think they really are underestimating how the general public is really feeling about the threat of this illness.

We are still having uproars here because the nurse in Cairns was told to self monitor in her home........while she had flatmates mind you........and it seems as though this was not a govt authority making this ruling, but the Red Cross!! Once again I do not blame the nurse, she was doing what she was told.........but if we are going to rely on self monitoring and self isolation to prevent this disease from spreading..............

then I will use an old Australian saying: We are up s..ts creek in a barbed wire canoe...

I have also read multiple accounts where it was stated that no PPE was worn prior to his official Ebola dx.

I cannot get past the seeming denial on the part of the hospital (Duncan's travel history was flagged after all, and then supposedly failing to have staff use PPE prior to dx), and now apparently Ms Vinson, who despite knowing she cared for Mr Duncan got on a PLANE. :banghead:

And if she were indeed showing symptoms when she left, well... So much the worse. Poor, poor judgement. I'm wondering if she told the CDC phone person everything - or just mentioned her temp had risen slightly or something. :sigh:

I really wish I knew more about her conversation with the CDC as well. Did she call a # that was provided to her since she was self-monitoring? IMO, it seems that she, and all others who had exposure to Mr Duncan, should have been given instructions on symptoms to look out for and WHO TO CALL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. I can't help but think there should have been a contact for these people, not some random CDC #. More like a CDC Case Worker for the healthcare providers who cared for Mr Duncan.

Am just catching up again, and have heard on the news about the guy from Yale university, and our news is reporting such headlines as " US losing control of containing Ebola crisis."

The US and Spain seem to be the two countries outside Africa most affected. Spain seems to be under control, whereas the US seems to be having daily scares.

I think you guys need to be in an uproar and start petitions and protests etc re how slack authorities have been in their response to the threat of this disease..

I see there are "ifs and maybes"going on re it being airborne. Yesterday I was reading a scientific report on how it is mutating.

NO RISKS must be taken at all. The CDC seemed to be forming their protocols based on assumptions such as it is only contagious closer to death of the patient.

While this may be true, it is not totally proven, and until such time that it is, all precautions must be strictly enforced.

I am still not getting why the authorities are still not overly cautious, rather than under, as appears to be. If it is to do with fear of politicial correctness backlash due to maybe people having rights etc, then I think they really are underestimating how the general public is really feeling about the threat of this illness.

We are still having uproars here because the nurse in Cairns was told to self monitor in her home........while she had flatmates mind you........and it seems as though this was not a govt authority making this ruling, but the Red Cross!! Once again I do not blame the nurse, she was doing what she was told.........but if we are going to rely on self monitoring and self isolation to prevent this disease from spreading..............

then I will use an old Australian saying: We are up s..ts creek in a barbed wire canoe...

It is true that the longer the epidemic goes on, the more chance for a mutation. However, that speaks more to the situation in western Africa, which has thousands of cases, and not to the US, which has had 3 confirmed so far.

But also remember that a mutation happens not just with chance but with so-called pressure. So far as I have read, there is no selective/adaptive pressure on the virus to mutate towards an airborne type.

But we must get Western Africa under contr or containment ASAP. It WILL eventually effect the rest of the world, so it is in all our interests to do so.

Oh and here, I've heard the saying as not a barbed wire canoe, but "up s*it creek without a paddle". :giggle:

You may be right. Or maybe clipboard guy? He did get on the flight right?

Aren't they talking about the Frontier flight?

ETA (clarification) The quarantined military member was on the Frontier flight.

The nurse whistleblower thinks the nurses who treat ebola should have the phone number of the Obama administration..

Wow, just heard on CNN (Elizabeth Cohen) Presby is 2/3 empty. People are too afraid to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth