Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nurse whistleblower thinks the nurses who treat ebola should have the phone number of the Obama administration..

Okay, I respect the right of this nurse to speak up and hopefully it will be without ramification. I hope nothing bad happens to her job especially knowing she is the bread winner in her family and has two children. But, :giggle: that statement strikes me as absurd and funny.

Okay, I respect the right for this nurse to speak up and hopefully it will be without ramification. I hope nothing bad happens to her job especially knowing she is the bread winner in her family and has two children. But, :giggle: that statement strikes me as absurd and funny.

My eyes rolled so hard, I almost fell down. I can't wait to see the rest of her interview tonight:)

Looks like it might be coming up!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/w...measures-as-new-cases-are-suspected.html?_r=0

An interesting article just posted in the NY Times......

Out of all these suspected cases, the priest in Spain could be a worry.

Have just read Denmark now has a case as well.

The most concerning thing from the whole article, is the part where the UN has advised that it has only received a small proportion of the money pledged!!!!!!!!

My eyes rolled so hard, I almost fell down. I can't wait to see the rest of her interview tonight:)

Looks like it might be coming up!

Looks like she is about to cry actually. She's very concerned, upset, etc. And I can totally understand where that is coming from!

Okay, I respect the right for this nurse to speak up and hopefully it will be without ramification. I hope nothing bad happens to her job especially knowing she is the bread winner in her family and has two children. But, :giggle: that statement strikes me as absurd and funny.

I would love to see an in person meeting between whistle-blower, her medical professional colleagues, the heads of the hospital, the local and state health departments, and the CDC.

It is unconscionable that these health care workers were left untrained and unready. CDC bulletins were out in July at least. And when the state and local health authorities, as well as hospital admin failed to have their people ready, well then Id have hoped that when the CDC was called in they would have seen the lack of readiness and done something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/w...measures-as-new-cases-are-suspected.html?_r=0

An interesting article just posted in the NY Times......

Out of all these suspected cases, the priest in Spain could be a worry.

Have just read Denmark now has a case as well.

The most concerning thing from the whole article, is the part where the UN has advised that it has only received a small proportion of the money pledged!!!!!!!!

Denmark tested negative earlier today... Will see if I can find a link.

Duncan was infected while helping a neighbor who was in the later stages of the disease and died less than a day later. The two health care workers in Dallas had treated Duncan when he was barely clinging to life. So far, none of the people who had contact with Duncan before he was isolated, including those who were living in the same apartment have show symptoms of Ebola.

The nurse who contracted Ebola in Spain had been treating an Ebola patient who eventually died from the disease.

Contact with an Ebola patient in the later stages of the disease is how people actually catch the disease.

Cooper asked her if they were offered any seminars and she said no and then she said there was one seminar? Did I hear that right?

**Showing cute pics of Nina:)

CNN now reporting that AV had been ill for THREE DAYS before she took the flight to Dallas.

I hate to say but i called this yesterday! I knew something was stinking with her story since it was reported that she was far worse than Nurse 1. It just didn't make any sense to me. My post from yesterday:

K I'm going to straight up honest on my thoughts on the latest concerning Nurse 2. I am calling B.S on the 99.9 fever or whatever it was that she had if she is worse than Nurse 1. How can that be? I don't get it. If she is worse and more advanced that wouldn't that mean she was more advanced than she's letting on when she got on the plane or am I wrong? I'm not medical and have no clue Ebola works. Also as far as Nurse 2 goes... IDGAF what temp the fever was she knew that she was around an man who died of Ebola. She should have never got on the plane regardless of what the CDC said she should have taken precaution and she didn't. PERIOD END OF IT.

There were a few comments floating around yesterday that it was thought that she was more advanced in the course of the disease than her symptoms indicated. Today, obviously something has changed.

I think they are making decisions based on her "viral load". I know from reading various articles that the patient starts out with a small amount of virus that then keeps increasing exponentially. We have not yet been told, of course, anything about the specifics of her laboratory tests upon admission. She could be having an atypical case, with atypical symptoms. This is a rare but known phenomenon. Perhaps the initial measurement of her viral load was more like what they see in a patient who is much further along in the process of the disease than her symptoms indicated. Serial follow up measurements would then confirm this finding.

That article about the dogs in Africa who were tested was very interesting. It talked about how the dogs had no symptoms of ebola, yet they had the virus. And that article also mentioned that very rarely a human was found who was asymptomatic but had the virus. And it was not one of the other ebola viruses, it was the zaire virus only that they were testing for.

Also, so far at least, the zaire ebola virus has not mutated over the years. And the three U.S. patients do have the zaire virus.

Last but not least, is anyone other than me getting sick of hearing "this should never have happened"?

I just read that Amber attended a bridal fair st a small bridal shop. Do we know what that entailed? Was she trying on dresses? Typically at these events they have food and drink samples. Usually finger foods. Did her hands touch her mouth and then touch more food? I'd really like more information on exactly when her symptoms started and what exactly they were.

Duncan was infected while helping a neighbor who was in the later stages of the disease and died less than a day later. The two health care workers in Dallas had treated Duncan when he was barely clinging to life. So far, none of the people who had contact with Duncan before he was isolated, including those who were living in the same apartment have show symptoms of Ebola.

The nurse who contracted Ebola in Spain had been treating an Ebola patient who eventually died from the disease.

Contact with an Ebola patient in the later stages of the disease is how people actually catch the disease.

Yes. The viral load increases hugely as the disease progresses. The later stages are most dangerous. This is why we have not seen casual contacts of Duncan becoming ill.

Folks should feel better seeing that the ones who HAVE become ill were only around Mr Duncan much later than his casual and even close contacts.

My sister spoke to someone who is dating a man that she graduated High School with. This man's father works for the government (not army, navy, etc) down in D.C. She was told that the father was being tight lipped about the Ebola stuff and wouldn't really tell her anything. I'm not sure what that means but I find it a bit interesting so who knows.

Tonio Borg, the European Union’s health commissioner, said after the meeting that countries had all agreed on the need to improve checks at African airports, but not on whether to impose similar screening on arrivals at Europe’s own airports and ports. That, he said, would be left up to individual countries to decide.

Mr. Borg also said the European Commission, the bloc’s administrative arm, would sign an agreement with the State Department that would allow infected European doctors and nurses in Africa to make use of American evacuation planes, which are operated by a private company in Georgia called Phoenix Air.

A couple of things I found interesting from the NY Times article......

Nurse who is speaking out about hospital is on CNN Anderson Cooper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just read that Amber attended a bridal fair st a small bridal shop. Do we know what that entailed? Was she trying on dresses? Typically at these events they have food and drink samples. Usually finger foods. Did her hands touch her mouth and then touch more food? I'd really like more information on exactly when her symptoms started and what exactly they were.

I links to an article earlier in the day that detailed Ambers contacts during her trip. Apparently she stayed home for the most part, with one confirmed trip to a retail eatablishment. I believe the article did say that people present at the establishment had been contacted.

I'm watching the Anderson Cooper interview with the nurse talking about Dallas Pres. Wonder why the hood didn't come down further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff