Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not pretend that temp really had anything to do with it in NJ. An imprecise device to measure external (not internal) temp offered the pretext, and even after they checked her temp with a reliable device and knew she didn't have one, they held her, tested her for ebola (twice), and even when she passed those tests they kept holding her anyhow. And we all know that she wouldn't have left for 21 days, if she hadn't raised the fuss she did. It clearly wasn't about the temp.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree

This is so unscientific, irrational, and unfortunate. Of all places we would WANT those who know Ebola, the Tropical Medicine Society conference would certainly be top of the list so that they can share insights and knowledge.

The hysteria is really getting out of hand. This is a real loss of knowledge sharing, here. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always skype

Quote Originally Posted by doubt View Post
she is not arrogant at all. she's highly educated and insulted. she's pissed off. she's morally indignant. and she's right.

this board continues to blow my mind. guess i'm back out for a while.

There are a great number of " highly educated" people throughout the world (many much much more educated than the nurse) who don't behave with such an apparent sense of entitlement.

I have to second your response. There's no question that this nurse is highly intelligent, and she might even be as right as rain in her expectations.

But she has this attitude that no one can tell her what to do, that she sets the rules, and that she'll do as she damn well pleases - - and that's as wrong as can be. The rules may be wrong, and she's well within her rights to squawk to get them changed, but in a civilized society, only a narcissist thinks the rules MUST cater to their preferences.

She's bratty imo. She may be the smart kid who knows more than anyone else, but she's still a brat, and that's NOT a positive in life.

Let's not pretend that temp really had anything to do with it in NJ. An imprecise device to measure external (not internal) temp offered the pretext, and even after they checked her temp with a reliable device and knew she didn't have one, they held her, tested her for ebola (twice), and even when she passed those tests they kept holding her anyhow. And we all know that she wouldn't have left for 21 days, if she hadn't raised the fuss she did. It clearly wasn't about the temp.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree

What did I say that's you can't agree with? Do you really believe that she would be at home today, if she hadn't raise the stink she did in NJ? Really? Because, that's the true revelation.

There's always skype

That's true and I really hope they take advantage of it. But there's something about it that comes off as... I don't know, just rank fear and ignorance.

Between this and the kids I was reading about today (two Nigerian kids in CT who returned from a family visit to Nigeria) who were barred from school, despite the fact that Nigeria has been declared Ebola-free, they are not sick, were checked by docs... I don't know it makes me sad and makes me remember poor Ryan White and AIDS hysteria. I realize Ebola is a bit more catchy than AIDS, but the lack of knowledge, the conspiracy theories, and the fear are the same. :sigh:

it is always entertaining to see how peoples ideas about freedom and rights sway in the breeze depending on their opinion of the matter at hand.

Is that also the case in the affected countries in Africa?

Yes, The media has completely ignored the host of variables, other than the virus itself, that has profoundly impacted the spread over there:

They get illness over there which mirror the symptoms – so in the beginning they had not idea it was Ebola and continued with their death and burial rituals (touching, hugging, bathing the deceased). They were used to other illness so they hugged and held etc their loved ones while they were dying. Direct contact.

They sadly live in squalor, They have to urinate and defecate in like a river. Urine is a body fluid. They are washing their hair, their bowls etc etc in urine?Ebola infected water.

Obviously there health care system is.... well you know. It goes without doubt that would greatly impact intervention

Living conditions – there are like 10 folks in a room. Envision someone dying from Ebola, vomiting etc in an 8 by 10 room with 9 others – contact with body fluids in all reality would be impossible.

Once it started after all that, there was still some time before they caught on - during this time it continued to spread due at an abundance of opportunities for direct contact with body fluids that had very high viral loads.

Once outsiders started going over there to help -there was,widespread mistrust and fear of folks trying to help

Many refused to change their burial habits and continued to to do so

Some health workers were attacked
All this time it continues to progress

Once they got to the place where it slowly became to the awareness that this is another Ebola outbreak they then had no infrastructure in place to isolate. Sh##, in Dallas they messed it up - Bad imagine a third world country, with language barriers, limited educational backgrounds – it continues to spread

They do a lot of moving around, walking or car, further spreading the virus. And when that happened we have to realize that in a new location all the above mentioned variables started from 0 in the new area- so in the new area in continued to blossom in another location.

In all western parts of the world we have seen in action how vital contact tracing is. Its a huge task for any country. The importance, to this date, of having the ability to do that remains a problem over there. What do you do, say hey, I last saw him by a tree. Where do you get the staff to do that.

Eve at this moment their are still huge obstacles – made worse by NY NJ debacle down the road IMO

BBM. That's what we have observed in this country, with the extremely small number of cases that we've had here.

Is that also the case in the affected countries in Africa? I don't have any idea to what extent they have records of things like over there, but they certainly have a much larger sample size on which to base determinations like that.

That's true and I really hope they take advantage of it. But there's something about it that comes off as... I don't know, just rank fear and ignorance.

Between this and the kids I was reading about today (two Nigerian kids in CT who returned from a family visit to Nigeria) who were barred from school, despite the fact that Nigeria has been declared Ebola-free, they are not sick, were checked by docs... I don't know it makes me sad and makes me remember poor Ryan White and AIDS hysteria. I realize Ebola is a bit more catchy than AIDS, but the lack of knowledge, the conspiracy theories, and the fear are the same. :sigh:

A teacher in Maine was asked to not work for 21 days because she visited Dallas and was 10 miles from the hospital. Some people have lost their minds.

A teacher in Maine was asked to not work for 21 days because she visited Dallas and was 10 miles from the hospital. Some people have lost their minds.

Saw that too, and it's awful. She was nowhere near Mr Duncan or Presbyterian! I think though that it was reading about the kids that did me in. Poor kids probably just want to get back to school and see their friends, and they are kept home because of the ignorance and fear of other parents.

Saw that too, and it's awful. She was nowhere near Mr Duncan or Presbyterian! I think though that it was reading about the kids that did me in. Poor kids probably just want to get back to school and see their friends, and they are kept home because of the ignorance and fear of other parents.

People get nasty when they are afraid. And with Ebola we have a full raging and totally irrational panic.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahoma-health-officials-establish-ebola-protocol/29415458

4:03 PM CDT Oct 29, 2014

Oklahoma health officials establish Ebola protocol
Oklahoma's epidemiologist, Dr. Kristy Bradley, said Wednesday that only people in the highest risk category will be quarantined in their homes for 21-days. Those include persons who have provided care for a patient diagnosed with Ebola and may have had a needle stick or direct contact with blood or bodily fluids.

Bradley says people at lower risk will undergo self-monitoring.

I shall tell ya all--- the way this is playing out i would def not tell one single soul if I had contact with someone. Not on your life. I am an adult, what seems to be forgoten in this whole deal, is people are self surviving.

HOWEVER, I would have no motive, want or desire, if I started getting symptoms, and had been exposed to the virus (contact with fluids) not to get my a@@ in a hospital faster than CNN plays the "breaking news" bumper!

Who would not get themselves to help - that is just illigical. If the variables, I had been in contact with fluids, and started to feel bad I would want to get help. I would know faster intervention less suffering. I would feel safer in a hostpiatal if I had been over there, had contact and started a fever..........................then and only then would I go

If I had no variables, no contact with fluids, and the same feeling started to come over me , I would go home, moan and grown , be a big baby and go to sleep

Again - there has to be discrimating going on here

and there is not thus far

I have not had a chance to read through all the threads here, but I will tell you all one thing. The Nurse that came from overseas and knew that she had been in contact with Ebola patients, has NO reason to even try to say that she will sue the government. I do not know what is going on with all of this, but if you have ANY chance of having this type of contagion and you are not trying to keep it from the public, then you are a murderer, or at a least a serial killer. I cannot believe that you as a health care official would even say that you are not going to quarantine yourself for the days that you know it would take to get the disease. You are the most selfish person in the world to me. How dare you say that you want to sue the American people because you CHOSE to go to a foreign country and help them and then come back to our (your own) country and have been exposed to a disease that has never been on our land, but then you want to come back here and just walk the streets?????? Really, that is so irresponsible!!!!! I cannot believe that any state would allow you to keep your license.

People get nasty when they are afraid. And with Ebola we have a full raging and totally irrational panic.

I don't think it is irrational.... :dunno: Doctors are not always correct or perfect. My grandson had Hand, Foot and mouth disease. It is a virus. Granted nothing anywhere near Ebola. I was told by doctors, and nurses in my family not to worry, adults cannot get it (or it is very rare), only babies get it. Well, guess what? I got it, and it was horrible. You are contagious 7 days before showing symptoms, which really sucked because I ended up giving it to the other kids. Of course it was without my knowledge.... but still.... you are more contagious when asymptomatic.

So I think it is the right thing to self quarantine for a period of time if one has been in direct contact with an Ebola patient.

I don't think it is unreasonable to quarantine people who have been in direct contact with ebola patients. I just don't.

And no... I don't see any hysteria as some claim. Being careful is not hysteria.

Unfortunately BBC videos are not viewable if you are outside the UK.

That is a shame.

Tonight's episode mentioned that China would be expecting people returning from the affected areas who had been in contact with Ebola patients to self-quarantine for 21 days and check their temperatures twice daily.

They also talked about the plans to make US returning soldiers quarantine for 21 days and wondered just how practical this would be. They mentioned that this measure had been decided upon in consultation with families of those affected.

They talked about the fact that developed countries had pledged less than half of what WHO said they required to get this outbreak under control. There is a good deal of variation in contributions. Even those countries who had pledged significant amounts seemed to be far better at pledging than actually getting their hands in their pockets and coming up with the money.

They also covered the UN announcement that the rate of new cases appears to be slowing in Liberia.

Why isnt this the headline nationally?

Pennsylvania health officials say three Pennsylvanians who were on an Oct. 13 flight from Cleveland to Dallas with a nurse who later tested positive for Ebola continue to show no signs of the virus.

How many times has this happened. 1000's - how come this does not change the narrative - we are still back in Dallas on day two

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...4666a5aa61582750c05f.html#GWcWg7tir47hOMsC.99

I don't think it is irrational.... :dunno: Doctors are not always correct or perfect. My grandson had Hand, Foot and mouth disease. It is a virus. Granted nothing anywhere near Ebola. I was told by doctors, and nurses in my family not to worry, adults cannot get it (or it is very rare), only babies get it. Well, guess what? I got it, and it was horrible. You are contagious 7 days before showing symptoms, which really sucked because I ended up giving it to the other kids. Of course it was without my knowledge.... but still.... you are more contagious when asymptomatic.

So I think it is the right thing to self quarantine for a period of time if one has been in direct contact with an Ebola patient.

I don't think it is unreasonable to quarantine people who have been in direct contact with ebola patients. I just don't.

I beg to differ.

I think it is highly irrational to start banning people from schools because they happen to have been in the same city as a hospital where someone was treated, or on a ship with someone who worked in that hospital, or simply because they have returned from an African country which is free from Ebola. It is utterly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk