Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

“WE PREFER BURIAL, NOT CREMATION”

http://www.liberianobserver.com/news/“we-prefer-burial-not-cremation”

Mr. Suakollie told this reporter that their posture to censure the cremation is largely due to their tradition and customs as people of the Kpelle tribe.
“The ancestors will not accept their souls because they were burnt by fire and furthermore, it is not our teaching as Kpelle people” Mr. Suakollie stressed.
The Chief Elder further described cremation as dehumanizing and losing the value of the existing culture.

That guy is a concern imo.

He sounds like a certified nut job - "talks about his knowledge of space and time travel to help seriously ill and dying patients."

Says he is a "doctor" but his medical school is not recognized in U.S. so no medical license. He just takes off to W. Africa on his own to "investigate" the Ebola outbreak???

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-10/31/c_133757580.htm

China city distributes free cellphones to Ebola zone arrivals

Each traveler arriving from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone will get a health care package including a thermometer, local map and a free mobile phone with local SIM card. A total of 98 mobile phones had been distributed as of Thursday, according to the city' airport entry-exit inspection and quarantine bureau.

"Passengers who get the phone should keep it turned on for the following 21 days. In this way, disease control personnel can track and contact them as quickly as possible," said Wu Huiming, deputy head of the bureau.

Anyone who fails to follow the rule will be added to a blacklist by police next time he or she enters the country, he added.

Sounds like legally we can't even keep people in quarantine until they start being symptomatic.
If we can't keep people in quarantine, then what we need to do is to stop travel from affected countries like Australia and Canada did.
Otherwise we will have potentially infected people running around, with no legal ability to prevent them from running around.

“WE PREFER BURIAL, NOT CREMATION”

http://www.liberianobserver.com/news/“we-prefer-burial-not-cremation”

Mr. Suakollie told this reporter that their posture to censure the cremation is largely due to their tradition and customs as people of the Kpelle tribe.
“The ancestors will not accept their souls because they were burnt by fire and furthermore, it is not our teaching as Kpelle people” Mr. Suakollie stressed.
The Chief Elder further described cremation as dehumanizing and losing the value of the existing culture.

Dead bodies are highly infectious. So how do you stop Ebola spread in affected countries if they want to keep their customs, which is washing and touching the dead bodies?

I just witnessed the Nina/Bentley reunion. Let me tell you, Bentley is one super happy little dog. He was running around pulling on his leash like excited dogs do. I imagine he was delighted not only to see her but seeing humans without space suites as well. He only seemed to calm down when Nina held him in her arms. That in itself was quite a feat. She looks like a tiny little thing. Bentley appears to be an arm full for her & she got several doggie kisses. As she was speaking Mayor Rollins held Bentley & the mayor also was the recipient of a couple of doggie kisses. This is Bentley's big day & it was a joy to watch!

https://bangordailynews.com/2014/10...sidents-divided-on-feelings-over-kaci-hickox/

The situation “is bound to affect the whole town,” Steve Daigle, owner of Stevie D’s Panini Plus said Friday. “The economy around here is already so fragile, every dollar we lose hurts us.”

Daigle said he has spoken to several customers who have told him they plan to shop out of town until the 21-day incubation period for the virus ends for Hickox on Nov. 10.

“People are afraid,” Daigle said.

Mali Ebola victim had contact with 141 people, 57 still sought

GENEVA (Reuters) - A 2-year-old girl who brought Ebola to Mali may have had contact with as many as 141 people, 57 of whom have yet to be traced, according to health experts concerned the disease could spread in Mali and beyond.

Ebola is contagious when a patient has symptoms, meaning she may have been infectious throughout her long and broken journey from Guinea, where controls are supposed to be in place to screen people for Ebola symptoms before they cross the border.

http://news.yahoo.com/says-two-susp...-120128398.html;_ylt=AwrBT4ezBFVUI1sAULTBGOd_

Full article at the link.

From what I can gather this is the first case in Mali

I missed many days of following due to some other threads. Someone please help me out with the count. There is one Dr in NJ ? or NY? who went bowling what not and he is the ONLY current person in the US with ebola , correct? We have Duncan who has passed and the 2 nurses from Dallas, who are now clear of it and that is all correct? Four persons nationwide with the disease , two of which contracted i t OUTSIDE of the US and the other two contracted in caring for one of the former. If that is the total current number still, it's actually very good news. TIA

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/...aci-hickox-from-public-places-on-ebola-fears/

Friday’s temporary order was the second issued by the court. The first, which enforced the stricter limits sought by the state, was issued Thursday and expired at 9 a.m. Friday. That came within hours of her defying Maine officials, leaving her home and going for a bike ride with her boyfriend.

The second temporary order will remain in effect until a hearing is convened to determine whether a permanent court order should be issued.

The hearing has been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 4 and Wednesday Nov. 5, in Bangor, according to court documents.

I missed many days of following due to some other threads. Someone please help me out with the count. There is one Dr in NJ ? or NY? who went bowling what not and he is the ONLY current person in the US with ebola , correct? We have Duncan who has passed and the 2 nurses from Dallas, who are now clear of it and that is all correct? Four persons nationwide with the disease , two of which contracted i t OUTSIDE of the US and the other two contracted in caring for one of the former. If that is the total current number still, it's actually very good news. TIA
You're correct except for the pending female case in Oregon. We are awaiting the blood test results for that one. Then, there are others that are on voluntary quarantine that have come in from Africa, both HCW's and regular vistors. I have no clue how many of them there are, but the Oregon woman was one of them. Her name has not been released yet, or anything about her except that she was one that was considered low risk.

People who survive can still have the virus in their system for weeks afterward.

The virus has been detected in semen up to 7 weeks after recovery, according to the WHO. But this is very rare, says Thomas Geisbert, PhD, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Geisbert has been studying the Ebola virus since 1988.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/ebola-fever-virus-infection?page=2

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/...aci-hickox-from-public-places-on-ebola-fears/

Friday’s temporary order was the second issued by the court. The first, which enforced the stricter limits sought by the state, was issued Thursday and expired at 9 a.m. Friday. That came within hours of her defying Maine officials, leaving her home and going for a bike ride with her boyfriend.

The second temporary order will remain in effect until a hearing is convened to determine whether a permanent court order should be issued.

The hearing has been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 4 and Wednesday Nov. 5, in Bangor, according to court documents.

IMO, there's only one problem with the link above. I get a note that The Bangor Daily News requires me to sign in so they can track my physical location. So long as I am not in their state or a resident of that state, I don't believe they have a need to know my physical location. Anyway, SStar33, thanks for the hearing dates!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub
Back