***EGG RECALL***many states

The Hickman's Family Farms eggs are not part of the recall as far as I can tell.

Here is their web site: http://www.hickmanseggs.com/index.html

They sound good compared to that other guy that Imamaze posted about that owns Wright County Farms.

I had Sunny Meadow and it was completely missing the package stamp. I tossed it anyways.

new email from FDA this morning with this link

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm223578.htm

Consumers Check for Recalled Eggs
Search Consumer Updates

Printer-friendly PDF (647 KB)

On this page

Examine Your Eggs
About Salmonella
U.S. consumers are wondering which eggs are safe to eat after a second Iowa company issued a recall of whole, raw eggs linked to a nationwide Salmonella outbreak.

Hillandale Farms in New Hampton issued a recall of eggs from two of its plants on Aug. 20, saying there have been laboratory-confirmed illnesses associated with the eggs. The announcement comes just two days after Wright County Egg in Galt expanded its Aug. 13 recall to a total of 380 million eggs.

To get the latest information about the outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis, go to http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm2.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) experts are working with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state officials to find the source of contamination. In the meantime, FDA officials are warning the public not to use or eat eggs from the lots that are being recalled.

Examine Your Eggs
Here’s what you should look for on the carton of eggs in your refrigerator:

Plant numbers — the four-digit plant number can be found on the short side of the carton. The numbers are preceded by the letter P (see graphic).
Julian date — eggs are packaged with the Julian date on the short side of the carton after the plant number (see graphic). The Julian date tells what day of the year the eggs were packaged without the month, so Jan. 1 is 001, and Dec. 31 is 365.
Hillandale Farms egg cartons affected by the recall will have these numbers:

P1860 – Julian dates ranging from 099 to 230
P1663 – Julian dates ranging from 137 to 230
The Wright County Farms eggs that are being recalled are:

P1720 and P1942 – with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 229
P1026, 1413,1946 – with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 225
The companies have identified more than 16 brand names under which the eggs were sold, but that information is incomplete. Some eggs were sold individually rather than in cartons, so they could be repackaged under other brands.

Eggs affected by the recall have been shipped since May 16 to grocery distribution sites, retail grocery stores, food wholesalers, distribution centers, and food service companies nationwide.

If you have recalled eggs, throw them away or return them to the retailer for a refund. If you are unsure about the source of your eggs, throw them away.

About Salmonella
Because of the size of the recall, consumers are wondering how they can tell if they or someone they know has been infected with Salmonella.

Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses, such as arterial infections (infected aneurysms), endocarditis, and arthritis.

Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.

If you think you might have become ill from eating recalled eggs, consult your health care professional.

This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates3 page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

-Related Consumer Updates
FDA Improves Egg Safety4
--For More Information
How can I tell if my eggs have been recalled?5
Wright County Egg Expands Recall6
Urgent Nationwide Egg Recall7
Salmonella Enteritidis Outbreak in Shell Eggs8
Egg Safety and Salmonella9
-Links on this page:
/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM223591.pdf
/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm
/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/default.htm
/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm170640.htm
/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm223536.htm
/Safety/Recalls/ucm223139.htm
/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm223248.htm
/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm
http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/types/eggs/index.html
Page Last Updated: 08/23/2010

A ‘habitual offender’ unleashes nearly half a billion salmonella-tainted eggs

As a jaded observer of the livestock industry, I just sighed when I learned the scale of the current salmonella-tainted egg recall: 380 million eggs, distributed under 10 different brands in 17 different states, all from a single producer -- Iowa-based Wright County Farms. Another day, another industrial-ag gaffe imperiling the health of millions.

USA Today reports that as many as 1,300 people have already been sickened by the tainted eggs. According to a recent GAO report, companies recover only about 36 percent of targeted products in a typical recall. That means that literally millions of people stand just an undercooked egg or an unwashed hand away from a nasty case of salmonella.

But then William Neuman's New York Times piece hipped me to the name of the owner of Wright County Farms: one Austin "Jack" DeCoster. That's when my sigh became a gasp.
More....

OMG This man should be in prison!!:furious:
http://www.counterpunch.org/rosenberg08232010.html
"A Bloody Slush"
The Man Behind the Egg Scandal

snip-
For eight hours agriculture and state officials, including police troopers with a search warrant, documented conditions termed "deplorable, horrifying and upsetting" by state veterinarian Don Hoenig and removed dead and living hens for evidence.

Four Department of Agriculture workers were incapacitated from entering the ammonia filled barns and had to treated by doctors for burned lungs. OSHA launched an investigation. If humans became sick from a short time in the barns, imagine working -- or living in a battery cage -- there.

But eggs farms are only half the problem. Since male chicks are of no use to the egg industry, newly born males are ground up alive at hatcheries owned by DeCoster and others. Video shot by Mercy For Animals last year at Hy-Line Hatchery in Spencer, Iowa clearly shows healthy male chicks, peeping and bouncing as they greet the world, fed into the blades of the macerator like so much litter. Hello! Goodbye!

Apparently, it's still not over. I received another email from the FDA this morning.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm224301.htm

Sparboe Farms Initiated Voluntary Recall Fresh Shell Eggs

Company Contact:
Egg Safety Media Hotline
404/367-2761
info@eggsafety.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – August 27, 2010 – Litchfield, Minn - Sparboe Farms is voluntarily recalling shell eggs produced by Wright County Egg and Hillandale Farms which were packaged by Sparboe Farms, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections, endocarditis, or arthritis.

Eggs affected by this recall were distributed to grocery stores and foodservice companies in the following states – Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Minnesota.

Large, white eggs were packaged under the following brand names: Albertson, Sparboe Farms, Liborio Market, Shamrock Foods and Glenview Farms and in the following configurations and codes :

Configuration
Plant Number
Julian Dates

6 egg carton
214, 215, 219

12 dozen carton
214, 215, 219

18 dozen carton
214, 215, 219

2 ½ dozen sleeve
214, 215, 219

5 dozen sleeve
214, 215, 219

15 dozen bulk cube
214, 215, 219

30 dozen bulk case
214, 215, 219

Extra Large eggs were packaged under the Shurfresh brand name.with the following configuration and codes:

Configuration
Plant Number
Julian Dates:

12 dozen carton
211 and 218

Dates and codes can be found stamped on the end of the egg cartons or the top of the over wrap bag. The plant number begins with the letter P and then the number. The Julian date follows the plant number, for example: P-1167 214.

To date Sparboe believes that the inventory that reached stores was removed and replaced.

Consumers who believe they have purchased these shell eggs should not eat them but should either destroy or return them to the store where they were purchased for a full refund. Other fresh shell eggs and egg products sold by Sparboe Farms are not affected. Consumers with questions should visit www.eggsafety.org9 or the Egg Safety Media Hotline (404) 367-2761.

###

RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information11 [what's this?12]

Links on this page:
/default.htm
/Safety/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/ArchiveRecalls/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/EnforcementReports/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/IndustryGuidance/default.htm
/Safety/Recalls/MajorProductRecalls/default.htm
http://www.eggsafety.org
/Safety/Recalls/ArchiveRecalls/2009/ucm174750.htm
/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds/Recalls/rss.xml
/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds/default.htm
Page Last Updated: 08/28/2010

OMG This man should be in prison!!:furious:
http://www.counterpunch.org/rosenberg08232010.html
"A Bloody Slush"
The Man Behind the Egg Scandal
snip-
For eight hours agriculture and state officials, including police troopers with a search warrant, documented conditions termed "deplorable, horrifying and upsetting" by state veterinarian Don Hoenig and removed dead and living hens for evidence.

Four Department of Agriculture workers were incapacitated from entering the ammonia filled barns and had to treated by doctors for burned lungs. OSHA launched an investigation. If humans became sick from a short time in the barns, imagine working -- or living in a battery cage -- there.

But eggs farms are only half the problem. Since male chicks are of no use to the egg industry, newly born males are ground up alive at hatcheries owned by DeCoster and others. Video shot by Mercy For Animals last year at Hy-Line Hatchery in Spencer, Iowa clearly shows healthy male chicks, peeping and bouncing as they greet the world, fed into the blades of the macerator like so much litter. Hello! Goodbye!

that is sickening.:sick: I could easily become a vegetarian
I have eggs sitting in my fridge, I dont even want to use them:(
Oprah did a show in "do you know where your food comes from?".
No, half the time I dont think we do.

that is sickening.:sick: I could easily become a vegetarian
I have eggs sitting in my fridge, I dont even want to use them:(
Oprah did a show in "do you know where your food comes from?".
No, half the time I dont think we do.

ITA Very cruel!

We buy pasteurized eggs. Hopefully they are safe, since that is the point of pasteurization. They weren't for sale where we used to live, so I was relieved to find them here.

"Another option is buying pasteurized eggs in the shell, which are carried in many grocery stores. Pasteurized eggs cost a bit more, but pasteurization kills most salmonella. When it comes to storing eggs, be sure to refrigerate them. Salmonella grows faster in warmed temperatures, so keeping eggs on the countertop isn't a good idea."

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/642455.html?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5

I received an email this morning from FDA with this link

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm224979.htm

FDA Steps Up Inspections Under New Egg Rule
Search Consumer Updates

Printer-friendly PDF (400 KB)

Get Consumer Updates by E-mail1

Consumer Updates RSS Feed2

Federal regulators were laying out plans to inspect the facilities where 80 percent of the country’s eggs are produced, after issuing reports on the investigation of a Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak that has sickened nearly 1,500 people.

Over the next 15 months, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) investigators will team up with state and local partners to visit about 600 egg producers—those with 50,000 or more laying hens—to determine if their facilities are in compliance with an egg safety rule that went into effect in July.

Michael Taylor, FDA’s deputy commissioner for foods, says the rule sets safety standards that are intended to prevent outbreaks of Salmonella Enteritidis like the one that has led to the recall of more than 500 million eggs.

”We think that the industry’s compliance with this rule will significantly reduce the risk of (Salmonella Enteritidis) infections and outbreaks in the future,” Taylor said during a conference call with reporters.

Since the egg safety rule went into effect on July 9, FDA officials have been moving forward with plans aimed at ensuring the safety of the nation’s egg supply. Now, facilities with 50,000 or more laying hens must implement controls to prevent contamination, including: refrigeration of eggs within 36 hours of laying, ensuring chicks are from uninfected flocks, and testing hen houses for Salmonella Enteriditis.

Under the rule, egg producers are legally responsible for implementing measures that will prevent egg contamination.

Taylor says the rule came too late to prevent the current outbreak, “but we think it is going to be a powerful tool for preventing outbreaks like this in the future.”

Since Aug. 12 when the inspections first began, FDA investigators have observed and documented conditions at facilities operated by the two Iowa companies at the center of the egg recall—Hillandale Farms of Iowa and Wright County Egg.

David Elder, FDA's director of regional operations, says inspectors found "significant objectionable" conditions at poultry houses, including live and dead flies that were "too numerous to count," live rodents, maggots, and structural damage that allowed animals to enter poultry houses. He says inspections over the next 15 months and beyond will ensure egg producers are meeting FDA standards under the new rule.

To get the latest information about the outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak, go to http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm3.

Examine Your Eggs
FDA officials are warning the public not to use eggs from the lots that are being recalled. Here’s what to look for when examining the eggs in your refrigerator:

Plant numbers—the four-digit plant number can be found on the short side of the carton. The numbers are preceded by the letter P.
Julian date—eggs are packaged with the Julian date on the short side of the carton. It appears after the plant number. The Julian date tells what day of the year the eggs were packaged without the month, so Jan. 1 is 001, and Dec. 31 is 365, except in leap years.
For more information on how to identify recalled eggs using Julian dates and plant numbers, go to http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm223536.htm4.

Eggs affected by the recall were shipped between early April through mid-August to grocery distribution sites, retail grocery stores, food wholesalers, distribution centers, and food service companies nationwide.

Although the companies have identified dozens of brand names under which the eggs were sold, other brands are unknown. Some eggs were sold individually and repackaged under names that may not be on the companies’ distribution lists. For a list of the brands that were confirmed to be involved in the recall, go to http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/shelleggsrecall/5.

If you have some of the recalled eggs or you’re not sure who the producer was, throw them away or return them to the retailer for a refund.

About Salmonella
Because so many eggs have been recalled, many consumers wonder how they can tell if someone they know has been infected with Salmonella.

Healthy people infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (infected aneurysms), endocarditis, and arthritis.

Salmonella can also cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.

If you think you might have become ill from eating recalled eggs, consult your health care professional.

This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates6 page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

Posted Sept. 4, 2010

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocol136
Back